or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › New TV. How big and how close?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New TV. How big and how close?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
My 57" Mitsu DLP is 5 years old. It's been a great TV but it's time to upgrade. I'd like to go a bit bigger, but how big is too big? My TV is in a 14 foot room. Because of the depth of the TV and couch, my eyes are approximately 11 feet from the screen.

It seems to me a 65" screen wouldn't be a problem but then I'd be considering a 638 series Mitsu and aren't they still 60 Hz? I'd love the newer series 73" but am concerned it would be too big in my room.

I've done some internet searches and the "expert" opinions were all over the board. I'd like to hear some thoughts of AVS members please. What direct experience do you have, good or bad, with screen size and viewing distance?
post #2 of 18
I'm interested in the take from others.....

I also sit right at 11 feet from the screen, and I'm also looking for a replacement unit.


But, I've had a 73" HDTV for quite some time. Its definitely NOT too big. I want to go bigger. I'm actually thinking about 90". I don't know if that's too big.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
my eyes are approximately 11 feet from the screen.
57" is fine. I wouldn't go more than 60 06 maybe 65". I sit around 12' and mine is a 5 year old Mits. 57" wink.gif

Other than size, what's wrong with what you have?
post #4 of 18
I've had a 73" Mits for about 6 months now and I sit only 9' from it. Watching a movie on BD is almost like being in the theater, I love it. Only trouble is compression artifacts on DBS and sometimes OTA, become really obvious. I suggest going with the biggest you can afford, and can fit in the space its going.
post #5 of 18
Get an 80" class display.
post #6 of 18
My farthest seating distance from my 73" is 14 ft but I really don't get the benefit of HD at that distance at 10 feet I really see the difference. I would have bought the 82" but I didn't like the pic on the 82" at that time. There's nothing wrong with sitting 14 ft away from a 73" but you're just not utilizing the potential of HD.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Wow great replies. Thanks.

Any more?
post #8 of 18
We sit about 10 feet from our 92" set. It's about the recommended THX viewing angle. Here's a good distance calculator. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html You can play with the numbers and get an idea of what a larger display would look like in your room, by moving closer to your 57" to match the viewing angle a larger display would give you. Hope that makes sense.
post #9 of 18
A quick and easy way that I have seen and heard from more than one "expert source" calibrators, is to measure the viewing distance in inches and divide by 2. Best screen size for your spot 66".
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

We sit about 10 feet from our 92" set. It's about the recommended THX viewing angle. Here's a good distance calculator. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html You can play with the numbers and get an idea of what a larger display would look like in your room, by moving closer to your 57" to match the viewing angle a larger display would give you. Hope that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

We sit about 10 feet from our 92" set. It's about the recommended THX viewing angle. Here's a good distance calculator. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html You can play with the numbers and get an idea of what a larger display would look like in your room, by moving closer to your 57" to match the viewing angle a larger display would give you. Hope that makes sense.

Wow! 10 feet from a 92" screen! Sure wish I could experience that.

Yeah, I'm aware that THX recommends a fairly close distance.

Moving my couch closer to the TV is a great suggestion, thanks. I think I'll do that this weekend and watch a couple of movies.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
We sit about 10 feet from our 92" set. It's about the recommended THX viewing angle.
I bet you don't watch analog, SD or "HD Lite". wink.gif
That's fine if you have a BluRay player, but even with OTA, I would say it's too close.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I bet you don't watch analog, SD or "HD Lite". wink.gif
That's fine if you have a BluRay player, but even with OTA, I would say it's too close.
Anything HD looks great. Well mastered DVD's are fine, but we don't really watch much SD content anymore. I still have my huge VHS collection. Don't think we'll be watching those.

We started with a 45" mitsubishi in the mid 80's. This is the 5th one. Never once said "I wish I got the smaller one". smile.gif
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

Anything HD looks great. Well mastered DVD's are fine, but we don't really watch much SD content anymore. I still have my huge VHS collection. Don't think we'll be watching those.
We started with a 45" mitsubishi in the mid 80's. This is the 5th one. Never once said "I wish I got the smaller one". smile.gif

I was concerned 5 years ago that the 65 would be too big so I got the 57. The 65 definitely wouldn't have been too big. I think this thread has convinced me the 73 won't be too big either.

The 82 might be a bit big for me, but it's also more than I want to spend so I guess it's the 73 for me.


Thanks for all the replies.


...
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

We sit about 10 feet from our 92" set. It's about the recommended THX viewing angle. Here's a good distance calculator. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html You can play with the numbers and get an idea of what a larger display would look like in your room, by moving closer to your 57" to match the viewing angle a larger display would give you. Hope that makes sense.

I'm thinking about getting the 92" also. I would also just about 10 feet from the front of the set.

Are you happy with that? Do you ever wish you got the 82" instead?
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I'm thinking about getting the 92" also. I would also just about 10 feet from the front of the set.
Are you happy with that? Do you ever wish you got the 82" instead?
Damn this enormous TV!! I feel like I'm TOO there!!!
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

My farthest seating distance from my 73" is 14 ft but I really don't get the benefit of HD at that distance at 10 feet I really see the difference. I would have bought the 82" but I didn't like the pic on the 82" at that time. There's nothing wrong with sitting 14 ft away from a 73" but you're just not utilizing the potential of HD.

The 2009 82" was disappointing compared to the later displays. The 2011 and later 92" sets are much better than the 2009 82" ---lots more light, CMS works much better. Blue is still slightly deingatured in Natural but luminance dials in on the colors pretty much perfectly. Very nice and easy to get low color dEs. Honestly, the 82" 2009 is a POS compared to the 2011 and 2012s. The 2011 82840 would be very compelling if someone had the right room and couold still fine one out there for sale..
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The 2009 82" was disappointing compared to the later displays. The 2011 and later 92" sets are much better than the 2009 82" ---lots more light, CMS works much better. Blue is still slightly deingatured in Natural but luminance dials in on the colors pretty much perfectly. Very nice and easy to get low color dEs. Honestly, the 82" 2009 is a POS compared to the 2011 and 2012s. The 2011 82840 would be very compelling if someone had the right room and couold still fine one out there for sale..

Yes I know I may upgrade to the 92" just don't know if I can deal with the high contrast screen.
post #18 of 18
I set 7 feet from my 65 inch and it looks great. I can just resolve a 1 pixel wide 1080P test signal at that distance, with 20-20 corrected vision. I have 1:1 pixel mapping so it looks great with no re-sizing artifacts. This compares very close with the distance that is shown in the chart linked in my sig.

Mike T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › New TV. How big and how close?