or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer - Page 51

post #1501 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks for the links and info.

Mrsmithers already modded mine (bought it from him) and it's still pretty loud, 70 db's with the radio shack meter right up to it. Too loud to go in my rack I think.

There are 2 fans in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

BTW, it was 3 db louder before the mod.

Lol! That doesn't sound like a very good mod then. wink.gif

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1502 of 2212
Ha, yeah it's better than nothing and definitely noticeable though.
post #1503 of 2212
I'll have to do better than that though, especially with eight or nine amps running simultaneously. My modded ep2500 is inaudible at my seat which is about 6ft but that might be because my Panny ax200u is much louder and about 4ft away. Lol!
post #1504 of 2212
Switching gears rapidly as I often do...

I'm going to do some more free air testing as per recommended by Nate. I'm ignorant to all things DIY, impedance, etc. etc., do last time I just hooked up the left speaker wire to one set of the terminals on the SI driver using a full range no sub using the receiver to power the drivers one at a time. I used a 10hz test tone for 10 seconds or so on each driver and there was a lot of movement and no bad sounds, or any sounds.

I'm going to do the same thing but use bassy music instead of a test tone and use the receiver again. Is that ok?
post #1505 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking of running my Cerwin Vega CV500 amp in the laundry room instead of on the component rack so I don't hear it. If I leave it on all the time is there a way to see how much that would cost me per month, year, or whatever? I'll probably just go in and turn it off and on every time but I'm curious.

or you could get one of these and run your 12 volt trigger cable to it from your avr. thats what im doing. amp in the laundry room like your planning.

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-MP-20Q-Accessory-Electrical-Maintained/dp/B0002JSY34/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1360958993&sr=8-5&keywords=furman+power+mp
post #1506 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post


Lol! That doesn't sound like a very good mod then. wink.gif

I already told him we could go absolutely as quiet as he wanted to, right up to the point of pulling both fans out completely tongue.gif Howver, based on the specs that I pulled from the OEM fans I wasn't comfortable going down farther than that on a first go. For the record, it still ran ice-cold at my place, although carp beats his stuff harder than I do in the apartment. Definitely something we can measure and change though after he gets going.
Edited by MrSmithers - 2/15/13 at 12:49pm
post #1507 of 2212
I thought dayton paled in comparison to si and si. 15 would be better in a small box and go deeper
post #1508 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

biggrin.gif Pretty good trade then for my 4311 right? wink.gif
WTF??!!! Do they need another 4311?? lol
post #1509 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I thought dayton paled in comparison to si and si. 15 would be better in a small box and go deeper

Not sure where you got that information from. The Daytons appear to perform a little better in smaller cabs. Gorilla has listened to both of them and has mentioned it's pretty much a crapshoot either way. You will be more than happy with either of them. Reason I went with SI was past experience with the product, current pricing and availability, and more wiring options with DVC.
post #1510 of 2212
Pricing on daytom is high yeah too much for me... 15 may me all i can do
post #1511 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hell yes, especially since the 4311 has gremlins in it, or at least the 2 units did that David had at his recent Iowa GTG.

Please divulge if you don't mind?!?! I would like to hear about these "gremlins"
post #1512 of 2212
Oh, it's just little things like if you turn the receiver off and back on it defaults to keeping Audyssey on even if you turned it off. One of the units turned off and wouldn't come back on until David unplugged it and plugged it back in and then it came on - there was something else I can't remember, but some of the guys were talking about having similar issues with the 4311.
post #1513 of 2212
Interesting, I haven't seen that issue once with my AVR. Guess it is just coincidence that you had two units that were suffering from the same issues...
post #1514 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Yup. You have no idea how hard it was for me to pay more for used ones floating around DIYMA than they sold new for. After a listen however, the pain quickly abated. biggrin.gif

*edit* I read the original post the wrong way. But still, low THD isn't for everyone. Swear it took me a solid two to three months to get used to the way my first XBL^2 driver sounded.
Edited by Electrodynamic - 2/18/13 at 9:37pm
post #1515 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Please divulge if you don't mind?!?! I would like to hear about these "gremlins"

I have also seen a few weird things with mine such as:

-Changing the subwoofer calibration from 1 to 2 subs or 2 to 1 will not store the setting. Same thing happened when I set my rear surrounds to "on" - Audyssey was not checking for those. I have to "hard reset" the unit for it to take new settings.
-Crossover changes are not always saved properly after backing out of the speaker config menu
-Even after setting my speaker configuration, sometimes Audyssey will continue to check for front wides/heights even after I set to "not present" in the menu. This doesn't happen every time either, which is even more odd, heh.

I understand all products have some issues from time to time, but for the price of this unit (much more than I had ever previously spent) I would expect it to be flawless. biggrin.gif
post #1516 of 2212
Box 1 of 4 preview:

post #1517 of 2212
Nice Austin!


You changed design plans?
post #1518 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

1 of 4

WOW.
post #1519 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Nice Austin!


You changed design plans?

Yeah, those fancy 45 degree angles a wanted initially were posing some issues for me because I wanted a double baffle recess + grill. I'll start a build thread here soon and post up all of the designs I went through.
post #1520 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Yeah, those fancy 45 degree angles a wanted initially were posing some issues for me because I wanted a double baffle recess + grill. I'll start a build thread here soon and post up all of the designs I went through.

Cool, I'm curious so that will be interesting. How much will the total weight be of the enclosure in the pic? I think the drivers are something like 38 pounds, so 150ish pounds plus whatever the box weighs. Not a one man job for sure moving that into your room!! eek.gifsmile.gif Especially since there will be 4 boxes!!

Friggin awesome BTW, nice work.
post #1521 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Oye! I'll see if it's an easy fix. Unless anyone here knows for sure which fan to get for that amp?

I bought 2 of the CV-5000s too and it looks like the stock fans have the following specs (2 fans per amp):

120mm x 120mm x 25mm
Dual ball bearing
24vdc
Ultra high speed (3000 rpm)
Auto restart without signal output
100 cfm
0.269" static pressure
45.7 dBA (ea)
0.28 amps

That's a lot of wind! I know that for HT use we don't need quite the cooling capability that is required for DJ or constant EDM use, but it's still not going to be an easy to find replacement. How low do you go and still feel safe...are you willing to thermal your amp repeatedly until you get a fan that hits the sweet spot?
I think I will remotely locate my 2 amps. I've already built a remote 12v triggered contactor setup to power on/off.
post #1522 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Cool, I'm curious so that will be interesting. How much will the total weight be of the enclosure in the pic? I think the drivers are something like 38 pounds, so 150ish pounds plus whatever the box weighs. Not a one man job for sure moving that into your room!! eek.gifsmile.gif Especially since there will be 4 boxes!!

Friggin awesome BTW, nice work.

Box doesn't feel that heavy, even with a triple front baffle. I'll see if I can find a scale tonight.

Here is a perspective shot to get a better idea of the size.

post #1523 of 2212
^^^^^^

OH DANG!!!! eek.gif The tower of power!!!
post #1524 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Box doesn't feel that heavy, even with a triple front baffle. I'll see if I can find a scale tonight.

Here is a perspective shot to get a better idea of the size.


I can see the news headlines already-- Man collapses house with his home theater......
post #1525 of 2212
Wow. To think that isn't even 1/4th the full setup.
post #1526 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkwitz Riley View Post

I bought 2 of the CV-5000s too and it looks like the stock fans have the following specs (2 fans per amp):

120mm x 120mm x 25mm
Dual ball bearing
24vdc
Ultra high speed (3000 rpm)
Auto restart without signal output
100 cfm
0.269" static pressure
45.7 dBA (ea)
0.28 amps

That's a lot of wind! I know that for HT use we don't need quite the cooling capability that is required for DJ or constant EDM use, but it's still not going to be an easy to find replacement. How low do you go and still feel safe...are you willing to thermal your amp repeatedly until you get a fan that hits the sweet spot?
I think I will remotely locate my 2 amps. I've already built a remote 12v triggered contactor setup to power on/off.

Good to have that info. I'll investigate alternatives as an amp in another room is not an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

^^^^^^

OH DANG!!!! eek.gif The tower of power!!!

Bring it on!!!! biggrin.gif
post #1527 of 2212
Wow Austin!

Is that 7' or 8' tall?
post #1528 of 2212
Im going to go with 74 inches of cut baffle space, and 2 inches in between each woofer for a grand total of 84" exterior height. 7 feet on the nose smile.gif
post #1529 of 2212
Yowzer! And I thought my vertical triple stack was tall. That is awesome.
post #1530 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

^^^^^^

OH DANG!!!! eek.gif The tower of power!!!

The powerrrr!



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Wow Austin!

Is that 7' or 8' tall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Im going to go with 74 inches of cut baffle space, and 2 inches in between each woofer for a grand total of 84" exterior height. 7 feet on the nose smile.gif

Dang B! Spot on...

Man, vertical stacks would be awesome, but I just don't have the room. Going to have to take the subtle horizontal approach.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer