or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer - Page 25

post #721 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I told my wife I was going to make an 18" Subwoofer. She wasn't at all excited- Oh well.

LOL I know what you mean, I haven't even told my wife of my recent purchase of the 2 CHT 18.2 subs. She thinks the stereo is out of control as it is with the "stop light speakers" being my JTR Triple 12LF's. The fact that these subs show up on a pallet is just the icing on the cake.

I thought just having two delivered will be easier to justify, seeing 4 of those boxes on a pallet would have been a hard sell.

This isn't new for me, I've bought cars, jet skis and boats and not told her till after the deal was done. She's a good sport and would have "approved" anyway.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #722 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Mainly I want a sub that passes the Tron Legacy test. Watch Tron Legacy from start to finish at -5 on my receiver while loudly reproducing the 10-30 Hz stuff and not bottoming out. Not a lot of commercial subs that can do that. My current sub can't either.

Tron Legacy Test??? Can you elaborate on this further as I've never heard of it... As far as the SI is concerned your ported box isn't big enough that's why there isn't any difference. I agree that for a sealed 5 cubic feet is find but for ported you need a box around 12.35 cubic feet tuned to 17Hz with your 800 watts and it'll be fine as long as you have a HPF around 16Hz.

Ported is in yellow, sealed in blue:

post #723 of 2212
im thinking of replacing the driver in my ed a7s-450 with either the SI 18 d2 or a dayton 18 HO or maybe even a Mach 5 UXL? Whats everyones thoughts on that?
post #724 of 2212
The driver in there is already pretty robust- is it broken or are you thinking it will gain you something?
post #725 of 2212
thinking i might gain something. i was looking on databass at both systems. i figured i might get 100$ for the ed driver and put it towards the 220 price of a shipped SI 18. i dont know. i havent even had the ed a7s 450 for a week. i hate this site........i dont even know if its worth it.....
post #726 of 2212
I'd stick with what you have in that cabinet. You have more excursion in that driver then you would get with either the dayton or the SI. Even if you did replace it with a different 18 that happened to be better, the difference would be maybe a db or two. It is a very similar driver to the uxl.


I'd do some more playing around with placement and/or EQ before you change it up.
post #727 of 2212
which driver do you have in it, this one? http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=25 Or this one - http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=40 because i'm referring to the latter of the two.
post #728 of 2212
i have the first driver, the white woofer.
post #729 of 2212
From the data-bass writeup:

"This unit offers a lot of boom for the buck. We do feel a switch to a higher quality driver with a better top end response would take this subwoofer to the next level. "

I'm familiar with the Ov2, having owned one back in the day. The SI is a better driver, period.
post #730 of 2212
yeah I thought he was referring to the newer style a7s-450 with the larger driver. The older version could probably be replaced with the si driver and be better. I'd model the driver out in your enclosure though first before pulling the trigger. Also doesnt that have the lt.1300 amp in it? if so, it would be too much power for the SI driver which is rated at 600w.
post #731 of 2212
The 450 used the Av2? Didn't know that. I use that in my car now. I was only aware of a 12/13" variant. The driver on data-bass was a custom recone. The 13av2 is a much better driver than the Ov2, but still had inductance issues.

In any case, he could get the dual 4-ohm version to limit the power. The write-up indicated the Ov was 6 ohms, so was likely tweaked for that application.
post #732 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

This isn't new for me, I've bought cars, jet skis and boats and not told her till after the deal was done. She's a good sport and would have "approved" anyway.

W...o...W

I would say I envy you, but man... If I had that kind of freedom, I'd already have a GT-R in the garage and would have ended up with 16 LMS-U's vs the SI drivers. I give my wife a hard time about wanting to be so frugal, but when put in perspective I know it's for the best.

Besides, how can I give her a hard time anymore since she gave me approval to go with 16 subs?

I kinda feel like I should get my a$$ in the kitchen, take over all of the household chores and give her daily foot rubs for all of 2013…at a minimum…
post #733 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I kinda feel like I should get my a$$ in the kitchen, take over all of the household chores and give her daily foot rubs for all of 2013…at a minimum…

That wouldn't be enough to get my wife to wouldn't approve of 16 18's. tongue.gif Then again my house couldn't handle it either.
post #734 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

The 450 used the Av2? Didn't know that. I use that in my car now. I was only aware of a 12/13" variant. The driver on data-bass was a custom recone. The 13av2 is a much better driver than the Ov2, but still had inductance issues.
In any case, he could get the dual 4-ohm version to limit the power. The write-up indicated the Ov was 6 ohms, so was likely tweaked for that application.

No, the A7s-450 never used the Av2 motor. It was always the 19 Ov2. The Only sub the ED used their 18" version of the Av2 was in their enormously sized A7-450.
post #735 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

...
I kinda feel like I should get my a$$ in the kitchen, take over all of the household chores and give her daily foot rubs for all of 2013…at a minimum…


ARE YOU NUTZ?!!!!

what if she saw you type that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, what if MY wife sees it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


show some responsibility
post #736 of 2212
Two things, I agree with you guys, never put in writing what you would do for a woman! Second, the 190v2 was nice but the 13av2 is much better.
post #737 of 2212
from the bottom of one frame to the other is 19.5”. Tight fit but looks like I'll be good with that as my internal dimension.
post #738 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post

No, the A7s-450 never used the Av2 motor. It was always the 19 Ov2. The Only sub the ED used their 18" version of the Av2 was in their enormously sized A7-450.

that must be the one i was thinking of, the ported version.
post #739 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

from the bottom of one frame to the other is 19.5”. Tight fit but looks like I'll be good with that as my internal dimension.
I think they need a little more breathing room than that.
post #740 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I think they need a little more breathing room than that.

Yeah, I also think so. Even if you made some 3/4" spacers for both sides that would give you an additional 1.5" of spacing, that might be enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1178 View Post

Tron Legacy Test??? Can you elaborate on this further as I've never heard of it... As far as the SI is concerned your ported box isn't big enough that's why there isn't any difference. I agree that for a sealed 5 cubic feet is find but for ported you need a box around 12.35 cubic feet tuned to 17Hz with your 800 watts and it'll be fine as long as you have a HPF around 16Hz.
Ported is in yellow, sealed in blue:

TRON Legacy test- it's my own thing, I don't know if anyone else uses it. Tron Legacy has a really dynamic soundtrack with tons of ULF content. Not just one scene like some movies, but multiple scenes and for extended periods of time. Even the music is probably lower than 99% of the movies out there. The infrasonic content can cause a lot of subs to go nuts with excursion.
Key Scenes: Entering the Grid, Disc Fight, Light Cycle Battle, Club Scene fight, Final Battle/ships.

AFA the ported goes, that's probably true. I don't think I can handle more than about 8 cubic feet with WAF. Even with 6.5 It has kind of a nice downwardly sloping FR from 40 down to tuning frequency.
Edited by djkest - 1/7/13 at 9:23am
post #741 of 2212
Austin, you could have fit a Jetski on that trailer and probably spent less, haha. Also, foot rubs turn to back rubs turn to neck rubs, turn to, well you get the idea. Might not be a bad tactic wink.gif

The Tron test is good but I have fried drivers doing that before. Under no circumstances should you go into that without knowing whether your sub/system can handle it and if you just have one little thing not setup right, it could have a devastating effect on parts of your system. Back when I didn't know any better, I learned this the hard way. two tweets and midrange on some speakers that weren't meant for that type of abuse.

Also, if that is your test, and your favorite, why would you want to tune a ported box at 17hz? In that movie there is a rediculous amount of content below 17hz, and even 10hz for that matter. If that is your favorite, you need to look at either going WAY bigger, or going sealed multiples smile.gif
post #742 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Yeah, I also think so. Even if you made some 3/4" spacers for both sides that would give you an additional 1.5" of spacing, that might be enough.
TRON Legacy test- it's my own thing, I don't know if anyone else uses it. Tron Legacy has a really dynamic soundtrack with tons of ULF content. Not just one scene like some movies, but multiple scenes and for extended periods of time. Even the music is probably lower than 99% of the movies out there. The infrasonic content can cause a lot of subs to go nuts with excursion.
Key Scenes: Entering the Grid, Disc Fight, Light Cycle Battle, Club Scene fight, Final Battle/ships.
AFA the ported goes, that's probably true. I don't think I can handle more than about 8 cubic feet with WAF. Even with 6.5 It has kind of a nice downwardly sloping FR from 40 down to tuning frequency.

Tron:L is a pretty good bass flick but I think you're over selling it a bit. wink.gif It's mostly a 30hz fest with some peaks down lower but not throughout.

post #743 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I think they need a little more breathing room than that.
Actually the 19.5” is internal so once the drivers are mounted on the outside, I'll have an extra 1.5” of space in between the magnets. Man I'm just not clickin on all cylinders gotta get it together.
post #744 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Tron:L is a pretty good bass flick but I think you're over selling it a bit. wink.gif It's mostly a 30hz fest with some peaks down lower but not throughout.

I KNEW someone was going to "call me out" on it. Oh well. I like the movie anyway. It does have some pretty good below 30 content obviously and look at that spike at 10 Hz... smile.gif
post #745 of 2212
What always impressed me about Tron was the levels in the surrounds. Holy smokes!
post #746 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I KNEW someone was going to "call me out" on it. Oh well. I like the movie anyway. It does have some pretty good below 30 content obviously and look at that spike at 10 Hz... smile.gif

Yeah, that was just one scene that put that spike there at 10hz. Right when Sam is zapped onto the Grid.

Wasn't calling you out, just being scientific and accurate. wink.gif
post #747 of 2212
i dont know, this forum always has you looking for more. comparing the two systems ed a7s-450 and the si 18 on data bass has a gain of a minimum of almost 3db and almost 5db at 25hz. . i would assume that would definitely be noticeable.
post #748 of 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Tron:L is a pretty good bass flick but I think you're over selling it a bit. wink.gif It's mostly a 30hz fest with some peaks down lower but not throughout.
You can't forget about all the clipping in the channels either. mad.gif
post #749 of 2212
i had heard the 2 channel PCM track didnt have clipping. i havent tried it though
post #750 of 2212
Just put my LMS-U's up for sale... Flooded with mixed emotions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity's new HT Subwoofer