or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Total Recall 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Total Recall 2012 - Page 11

post #301 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Apparently, the other Sonys are a 560, 760 and the 1000. Fortunately, the 1000 accepted my OPPO Wireless USB and is currently updating to the FW ending in 14..
Conclusion - 1000 worse than the 5000!
Starting from the beginning, everything goes fine until ReKall, then everything smears and freezes. Leave it alone, then it's skipped forward to after he killed all the police.
Ran Scene 8, then in to Scene 9. Momentarily Freezes as he enters his key into the door. Once through the door, freezes like on the 5000.
Settings: Audio Output: HDMI; Audio (HDMI): Auto; BD Audio Setting: Direct; Audio ATT: Off; Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital; DTS: DTS; 96KHZ/24Bit; Audio DRC: Auto; Downmix: Dolby Surround
Yamaha AVR Displaying Cinema DTS

All I can say is . . . Total Recall 2012 played perfectly in my BDP-S1000ES - which would lead me to believe you have a defective disc.
post #302 of 338
Works fine on the BDP-SX510 without issues.

Are any of my Audio settings different?

Upgraded my OPPO 93 to the March 2013 Beta FW - still plays with dropouts on BitStream
Edited by p5browne - 5/5/13 at 7:23am
post #303 of 338
Does anyone know yet if the Mastered in 4k version is affected by the dropouts?
post #304 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT1976 View Post

Does anyone know yet if the Mastered in 4k version is affected by the dropouts?

Maybe they'll have one at the Shoot Out, and if you know anyone going , get them to check it out.
post #305 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT1976 View Post

Does anyone know yet if the Mastered in 4k version is affected by the dropouts?

According to info in the 4k thread, this has been fixed in the new version.
post #306 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

According to info in the 4k thread, this has been fixed in the new version.

I wonder if the 4K will work on my Sony 790 and down convert it? May pick up a copy since it becomes available on Tuesday the 14th, same day Microsoft does it's monthly updates!.
post #307 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

According to info in the 4k thread, this has been fixed in the new version.

I wonder if the 4K will work on my Sony 790 and down convert it? May pick up a copy since it becomes available on Tuesday the 14th, same day Microsoft does it's monthly updates!.
Yes, any 4k capable BD player will downconvert to 720p/1080i/1080p/24.
post #308 of 338
Is it true the new Superbit version does not contain the 12 minute longer extended version, only the theatrical?
post #309 of 338
The Master in 4K version is still not going to be in 4K on the BD. It still is only 1080P, they just pulled this from the 4K cut. Your BD is not going to have to down convert anything. These are kind of like superbit was on DVD.

Source:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Total-Recall-Blu-ray/63570/

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470744/avs-cant-wait-special-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-releases
post #310 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Is it true the new Superbit version does not contain the 12 minute longer extended version, only the theatrical?

That looks to be the case, the 4K "Master" is 118 min vs. 130 min of the other ones.
post #311 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

That looks to be the case, the 4K "Master" is 118 min vs. 130 min of the other ones.

Bummer, that just killed my interest in this title. Thanks. At least I can save my cash for something else I suppose.
post #312 of 338
Wow, sounds like there are even more dropout issues with this title than I was originally aware of. Well, for those of you still with problems, I re-iterate that going to my Baetis media server solution solved the dropout issues on both Total Recall and Brave titles, and now I also have a digital back up stored on my hard drives. So much added convenience when you own a media server like this... biggrin.gif
post #313 of 338
Well, someone will need to try th 4K version - Local FS and BB not even listing these 4K Blu-rays here in Canada.
As mentioned, they're charging you more, but giving you less. (Not the Director's Cut) You'd think for the extra monies, they could have at least given you the Extended Version! (Due at Xmas to try and hit you up again?)

In Canada, only available at Amazon. FS and BB, supposely Next Tuesday.

Flyer out for next week shows NO such animal for next Tuesday - maybe Amazon has a lock on them?

Disappeared from amazon.ca, still listed on anazon.com

ATTENTION: Sony finally did a FW update!

Almost perfect with New Firmware:
Chapter 9: First drop out for about 1 second, just before he unlocks the door to the apartment. Several others during Chapter 9, plus video and audio went out of sync. I shut the movie down to watch the News, then continued after. Only other drop out was in the scene with Mathias. So, in total, about 5 drop outs during the whole movie, and almost all in Chapter 9.
Now, when will OPPO give us the FW update for my 93, and I can try Chapter 9 with it.
Edited by p5browne - 5/23/13 at 9:55pm
post #314 of 338
Request from OPPO re New FW update. Answer: (Sony's Fault and won't owe up to it! For those Blaming a Bad Blu-ray - somewhat!)
Is Sony going to send all requestors a New Copy once they have the Problem worked out?

We are still working with Dolby and Sony on this issue. At this time this is Sony's mastering error and not a problem with the player directly. In the interim you will need to use LPCM instead of Bit Stream for your HDMI Audio.



Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118

I see the 4K Version is available at amazon.ca - will see if there's a price drop, because $30 is a litlle steep just to check whether the copy is better, plus have to contend with the Theatre Only release.

(Will probably wait until it shows up at Walmart for $10)
Edited by p5browne - 6/9/13 at 8:01am
post #315 of 338
I recently downloaded a firmware update for my Sony BDP-S790 which came online last Thursday 23rd May, I've only just had a chance to play Total Recall again to see if the firmware update had fixed the audio dropouts and delay issues and, much to my disappointment, they're still there! Although I should add that it's not quite as bad as before, but they're still there! mad.gif I found the extended version to be worse than the theatrical cut. It seems to play fine right up until the part where Quaid (or Hauser if you prefer) swipes the card in the door of his apartment where there's a slight dropout then all of a sudden the lip sync is out of whack! I believe this is where it branches to the second layer of the disc which is where it all goes pear-shaped! I've emailed Sony again and am currently waiting for their reply, although I am not holding my breath! Sony Pictures stated at the start of the year that is would be fixed via a firmware update, but Sony Electronics only reply came about a week ago to inform me of the update that I downloaded but mentioned the audio issues was not listed as one of the fixes in the update! mad.gif WTF!!! So I sent an email last night demanding the 4K transfer of this movie be sent to me asap! I'll let you know how this goes.
post #316 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I recently downloaded a firmware update for my Sony BDP-S790 which came online last Thursday 23rd May, I've only just had a chance to play Total Recall again to see if the firmware update had fixed the audio dropouts and delay issues and, much to my disappointment, they're still there! Although I should add that it's not quite as bad as before, but they're still there! mad.gif I found the extended version to be worse than the theatrical cut. It seems to play fine right up until the part where Quaid (or Hauser if you prefer) swipes the card in the door of his apartment where there's a slight dropout then all of a sudden the lip sync is out of whack! I believe this is where it branches to the second layer of the disc which is where it all goes pear-shaped! I've emailed Sony again and am currently waiting for their reply, although I am not holding my breath! Sony Pictures stated at the start of the year that is would be fixed via a firmware update, but Sony Electronics only reply came about a week ago to inform me of the update that I downloaded but mentioned the audio issues was not listed as one of the fixes in the update! mad.gif WTF!!! So I sent an email last night demanding the 4K transfer of this movie be sent to me asap! I'll let you know how this goes.

I assume if they do forward the 4K Transfer, it won't be the extended version.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new 4K Blu-ray for the Audio dropouts?
post #317 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I recently downloaded a firmware update for my Sony BDP-S790 which came online last Thursday 23rd May, I've only just had a chance to play Total Recall again to see if the firmware update had fixed the audio dropouts and delay issues and, much to my disappointment, they're still there! Although I should add that it's not quite as bad as before, but they're still there! mad.gif I found the extended version to be worse than the theatrical cut. It seems to play fine right up until the part where Quaid (or Hauser if you prefer) swipes the card in the door of his apartment where there's a slight dropout then all of a sudden the lip sync is out of whack! I believe this is where it branches to the second layer of the disc which is where it all goes pear-shaped! I've emailed Sony again and am currently waiting for their reply, although I am not holding my breath! Sony Pictures stated at the start of the year that is would be fixed via a firmware update, but Sony Electronics only reply came about a week ago to inform me of the update that I downloaded but mentioned the audio issues was not listed as one of the fixes in the update! mad.gif WTF!!! So I sent an email last night demanding the 4K transfer of this movie be sent to me asap! I'll let you know how this goes.

I assume if they do forward the 4K Transfer, it won't be the extended version.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new 4K Blu-ray for the Audio dropouts?
It has been reported that the 4K edition does not suffer from dropouts.
post #318 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I assume if they do forward the 4K Transfer, it won't be the extended version.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new 4K Blu-ray for the Audio dropouts?

There aren't any audio dropouts with the 4k transfer, and yes it is the theatrical cut only...
Edited by Mattyo1612 - 6/28/13 at 7:58pm
post #319 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I have read that there aren't any dropouts with the 4k transfer, and I believe that it has been done in DTS-HD Master Audio and yes it is the theatrical cut only...

Since it is the theatrical cut only, there is no need for seamless branching or chopping the file up into multiple files: each of which is a potential point for a dropout.

My guess is that they will author the "Superbit Blu" titles as single m2ts files, which should have fewer problems. Maybe they will also minimise the amount of tricky Java in the menus too.
post #320 of 338
Again, I will reiterate that ripping the 2D version to my Baetis Audio Media Server, using MakeMKV (free) software solved all the problems with playing back DTS-MA on this title and many others like Brave. And as a bonus, you can cut out all the crap like previews, special features, and piracy warnings if you want to! Definitely the way to go, IMHO, and way more flexible than a Bluray player...
post #321 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Again, I will reiterate that ripping the 2D version to my Baetis Audio Media Server, using MakeMKV (free) software solved all the problems with playing back DTS-MA on this title and many others like Brave. And as a bonus, you can cut out all the crap like previews, special features, and piracy warnings if you want to! Definitely the way to go, IMHO, and way more flexible than a Bluray player...

These titles have DolbyTrue Hd encodes and drop outs can be solved by using the player outputing pcm. I wouldn't buy a $6000 media server for that
post #322 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan View Post

These titles have DolbyTrue Hd encodes and drop outs can be solved by using the player outputing pcm. I wouldn't buy a $6000 media server for that

Note my quote from above from OPPO:

We are still working with Dolby and Sony on this issue. At this time this is Sony's mastering error and not a problem with the player directly. In the interim you will need to use LPCM instead of Bit Stream for your HDMI Audio.

NOT the Players, NOT the Blu-ray, BUT Sony. They tried to fix their screw up with a New FW upgrade that Almost Worked! (Cheap work-a-round to avoid sending out corrected replacements!)
post #323 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Note my quote from above from OPPO:

We are still working with Dolby and Sony on this issue. At this time this is Sony's mastering error and not a problem with the player directly. In the interim you will need to use LPCM instead of Bit Stream for your HDMI Audio.

NOT the Players, NOT the Blu-ray, BUT Sony. They tried to fix their screw up with a New FW upgrade that Almost Worked! (Cheap work-a-round to avoid sending out corrected replacements!)

Simply put: Sony stuffed up, now they need to fix it!
post #324 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan View Post

These titles have DolbyTrue Hd encodes and drop outs can be solved by using the player outputing pcm. I wouldn't buy a $6000 media server for that

Baetis Audio's top of the line server is $5, 995, but their very capable Revolution server (the model I have) is just $3, 595. Their HT model is even less expensive at $2, 395! When you figure in everything it can do, it is a very fair price when compared to Kaleidoscape, and others like the Meridian media server that cost around $10, 000. And, it solves this Dolby True-HD problem on these messed up titles like Total Recall and Brave. Try getting Sony to admit they screwed up - its not going to happen. And don't try holding your breath that they will remaster those titles anytime soon either.

I'm very happy with the convenience and high end picture and audio quality that I am getting from my Baetis media server. I haven't really used my Oppo BDP-105 since I got my Baetis!
Edited by DMark1 - 6/18/13 at 11:05pm
post #325 of 338
I got sick of Sony's lack of acknowledgement of their issues with this movie's audio sync & dropout problems so I ordered the 4k remastering from the US Amazon site about two weeks ago, I just got it today! I'll let you know how it is once I've had a chance to watch it!
post #326 of 338
Please let us know, I am very curious about it. What 4K playback gear do you have?
post #327 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Please let us know, I am very curious about it. What 4K playback gear do you have?

I have a Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player which can upscale to 4k and my Yamaha amp RX-V773 has 4k upscaling capabilities also. However, my tv is just a normal full hd Samsung UA55D7000 led tv. I don't expect to notice much difference as it's showing on a 1080p screen but I am curious to see if there is any improvement in picture quality due to the 4k source the film is mastered from. The main reason I purchased this remaster was because of the bloody annoying audio dropouts that are prevalent in the original release that was issued way back in December last year that Sony still haven't done a damn thing to rectify.
post #328 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Please let us know, I am very curious about it. What 4K playback gear do you have?

I've just tried to watch 4k remaster of Total Recall on my Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player and it wont play the movie properly, the picture keeps breaking up, the audio is fine though. mad.gif And yes, before anyone asks, I do have the latest firmware update from Sony. Now, to see if it were a disc or player issue, I placed the movie in my Samsung BD-E5500 player in the bedroom and it plays beautifully! Picture quality is great! I'd like to know if anyone one else has had issues with the 4k remaster playing in certain Blu-ray players?
post #329 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I've just tried to watch 4k remaster of Total Recall on my Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player and it wont play the movie properly, the picture keeps breaking up, the audio is fine though. mad.gif And yes, before anyone asks, I do have the latest firmware update from Sony. Now, to see if it were a disc or player issue, I placed the movie in my Samsung BD-E5500 player in the bedroom and it plays beautifully! Picture quality is great! I'd like to know if anyone one else has had issues with the 4k remaster playing in certain Blu-ray players?

That's disappointing to hear, I'm sorry it's not working for you on the Sony. Now, if we could only combine the video performance from the Bluray with the audio from the 4K remaster, you could have a complete movie.

...Or, you could just rip the movie to a server and enjoy the movie without all the previews etc.... :-)
post #330 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

That's disappointing to hear, I'm sorry it's not working for you on the Sony. Now, if we could only combine the video performance from the Bluray with the audio from the 4K remaster, you could have a complete movie.

...Or, you could just rip the movie to a server and enjoy the movie without all the previews etc.... :-)

I just played it on my old Pioneer BDP-51FD and it also plays the movie beautifully! Funny, you'd think that a Sony Blu-ray player, especially a top of the line player like my BDP-S790, should be able to play a Sony movie???confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Total Recall 2012