or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D movies have darker look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D movies have darker look

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
No big deal, but when I'm watching a movie in 2D, the brightness is right. When I put the glasses on and watch a 3D film, it has a darker look to it. Its like I'm watching the movie through sunglasses smile.gif. Samsung un55d6900 by the way. Would one of the picture setting modes help with that?
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

No big deal, but when I'm watching a movie in 2D, the brightness is right. When I put the glasses on and watch a 3D film, it has a darker look to it. Its like I'm watching the movie through sunglasses smile.gif. Samsung un55d6900 by the way. Would one of the picture setting modes help with that?

Probably not. The 3D process needs more light for the same apparent brightness as 2d. Lots more. To the extent that most displays simply don't have that much to give, so 3d looks darker. That's part of the price for 3D, sorry.
post #3 of 8
Isn't there some setting to increase the intensity of the backlight? Just turn that up if possible.
post #4 of 8
Isn't that a downside of the dark glasses and actieve 3D TV's?

If the TV is calibrated (for 3D too) it will be a lot better.

Ask any Pro here for more info
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
There is a backlight setting, I'll mess with that some.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

Isn't there some setting to increase the intensity of the backlight? Just turn that up if possible.

If you have your TV set for maximum brightness for 2D viewing you can't make it brighter for 3D.

What I do here is calibrate my 2D viewing for a comfortable brightness level. Then in 3D mode I have that boosted to a level where my 2D and 3D are identical. This works for movies that are produced with similar lighting. Some movies are just darker by design. The best way to calibrate this special setting is to use a movie that you own both a 2D and 3D disk and then adjust your screen for equal brightness on both the 2D and 3D, save those settings to a memory.

Now if your screen is too dark already with maximum brightness, you might need to consider a higher quality TV. My projector is so bright in maximum settings for 2D that it would cause headaches so making the matched brightness is not difficult to do.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

If you have your TV set for maximum brightness for 2D viewing you can't make it brighter for 3D.

I wouldn't suggest otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Now if your screen is too dark already with maximum brightness, you might need to consider a higher quality TV.

Here I definitely agree. However, the OP has an LED set, which in my experience has a very large brightness budget. Most likely AndreHD has room for adjustment.
post #8 of 8
I have a Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV and a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 and I do not have any problems
with dark 3D images. I take my glasses off and the 3D image is brighter than a 2D image


JohnnyJT cool.gif
South Philly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D movies have darker look