or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 47

post #1381 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Network Reset
When having network connection issues, first try resetting the router and unplugging the 8801 for a few minutes. If still no joy, then try doing a "Network Reset" ... similar to a Microprocessor reset (p. 186) except press/hold the [Pure Direct] and [UP arrow] buttons instead while powering the unit ON. This procedure will reset the network card as well as perform a microprocessor update in the process so ensure to SAVE the config.dat file to a PC using the Web Control function (pp. 106-107) so as to more easily restore your old settings (to include Audyssey).
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

Interesting. This info (including how to save configuration) wasn't in the owner's manual. I was hoping there was a way to save the configuration settings since I may need to replace my unit. Network port #1 (the top-most port) doesn't work for me (the green LED doesn't light up at all), but network ports 2 to 4 work okay. Given that the LED for network port #1 doesn't even light up, I'm skeptical above solution to do reset would help... Thus far, no one replied to my previous posting asking if anyone else had this same problem as me, so it appears my issue is a one-off problem.
post #1382 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Hey, there is an ir command called InputMode.

IR command in what? Roomie, or some other programmable device? Thanks...

It doesn't appear that AUTO, HDMI, and ANALOG are discretely addressable, or are the four Dialolg Enhancement settings (off, low, medium, high)

I hope Marantz gets around to expanding discrete access to functions in these areas.
post #1383 of 11280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Depends on what you meant by "most effect"?
If it means being able to try different processing modes, heights gives more: you can run Dolby IIz as well as NeoX and DSX.

Loving Lexicon's Logic 7, and now using Dolby IIx, how does "Dolby IIz as well as NeoX and DSX" compare for 9.1?
post #1384 of 11280
My old AVR doesn't do Neo X only DSX 11 channels or 9 channel IIz (height only)

DSX has the odd bug aka voice of god which happens with some lossy soundtracks. But can be mitigated if you dial down the impact. I watch all my movies with DSX engaged. It's more immersive and with the right soundtracks the wide channel works amazing well with panning effects.

I tried IIz once or twice but nothing spectacular to me.

I have heard Logic 7 in other setups but I dont think it creates as big a sound field as one gets with the added speakers
post #1385 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm in the process of such an evaluation as I love the sound of the 105 via the 8801's balanced inputs (coming from an 95 / Anthem avm 20 )Now here is were it starts to get tricky, So far the 8801 is not what I expected no matter what format I've thrown at it thus far its excelling at said format, but I would like till next weekend to sum it up ( sorry I let my components burn in) I will say this however I'm very fortunate to have the chance to own both and glad in the end I wont have to decide between the two that would at this point be very difficult!

Thanks for the feedback.
Which will become your primary device for 2 channel?

- Rich
post #1386 of 11280
Just wondering if it is user error or what, but on my 8801 Zone 2, 3, and 4 keep coming on, even though I am not using zones at all. I keep turning them off and they keep coming on.
post #1387 of 11280
Does anyone know Marantz implementations well enough to answer if they have or ever had an equivalent to AL32 built-in? As I understand Denon-world which isn't perfect, isn't AL32 (AL24) a form of upsampling to 192Hz 32 (24) bits? Could one ever turn it off in a menu, similar to how Pioneer does theirs or is it on all the time for all sources as implemented by Denon? Marantz doesn't mention any similar form of upsampling in product sheets or manual, as far as I can tell.

Thanks
post #1388 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Greg is using Roomie. Checked it out.. works like a champ, I have it at home as well but no Marantz (yet) smile.gif
Interesting about your comments on the Datasat. I was seriously considering it myself at one point but then decided it was not worth the added investment over the Classe. Same with Theta. I really would love to hear your thoughts on the Marantz compared to the Dsat,

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, the DSat was very nice - had a lot of functions where "tweekers" would find themselves in heaven. However, once you're all set up, and using it, where did all that $$$ get you? It was a very nice unit, I just don't think it's SO much better than the Marantz, that it warrants the cost. I honestly believe, after being in this industry and hobby for 15+ years and having all the toys - theta, meridian 861, Dsat, that much of what someone hears when they switch out gear is "wow, that sounds different." Well, it would, it's not the same gear. After we "adjust" to the sound, it becomes "the same ole thing" again.... So, switching out gear allows us to hear that "wow, that's different" again, even though it may not be objectively better. As some have mentioned here, the differences are oftentimes not audible to our ears, but the specs look good on paper. Since I swopped out so many units in quick order, I feel there weren't many differences in the audio perspective of the gear. I ran Dirac, was pretty cool. However, even with it enabled, I did NOT hear much difference from the 7005... The DSat has a very low noise floor, so no hiss what-so-ever through the speakers. Great dynamics, etc., Only drawback was it had a fan running all the time, even when powered off, which was a bit annoying.

I'll post once I have it in a week or so.

Stieger
post #1389 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, the DSat was very nice - had a lot of functions where "tweekers" would find themselves in heaven. However, once you're all set up, and using it, where did all that $$$ get you? It was a very nice unit, I just don't think it's SO much better than the Marantz, that it warrants the cost. I honestly believe, after being in this industry and hobby for 15+ years and having all the toys - theta, meridian 861, Dsat, that much of what someone hears when they switch out gear is "wow, that sounds different." Well, it would, it's not the same gear. After we "adjust" to the sound, it becomes "the same ole thing" again.... So, switching out gear allows us to hear that "wow, that's different" again, even though it may not be objectively better. As some have mentioned here, the differences are oftentimes not audible to our ears, but the specs look good on paper. Since I swopped out so many units in quick order, I feel there weren't many differences in the audio perspective of the gear. I ran Dirac, was pretty cool. However, even with it enabled, I did NOT hear much difference from the 7005... The DSat has a very low noise floor, so no hiss what-so-ever through the speakers. Great dynamics, etc., Only drawback was it had a fan running all the time, even when powered off, which was a bit annoying.
I'll post once I have it in a week or so.
Stieger

Great post and so true. Whenever I have a new piece in for review I really have to let my self forget that it's new and really listen to it critically before making a judgement. It takes a few weeks and many hours for your memory to fog of what you had in there previously and judge the new piece on its own merits. Furthermore, the spec sheets are often times wrong when you actually measure the piece on the bench, which is why in our reviews we never get to see the bench results until the review hits the newsstands!
post #1390 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great post and so true. Whenever I have a new piece in for review I really have to let my self forget that it's new and really listen to it critically before making a judgement. It takes a few weeks and many hours for your memory to fog of what you had in there previously and judge the new piece on its own merits. Furthermore, the spec sheets are often times wrong when you actually measure the piece on the bench, which is why in our reviews we never get to see the bench results until the review hits the newsstands!

I suspect the ears break-in easier than transistors smile.gif

- Rich
post #1391 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
Which will become your primary device for 2 channel?
- Rich
To be fair, I haven't given the 8801 a serious 2ch listen thus far as I've been trying to get a hold of the 105's sound over the 95 which I no longer have for direct comparisons, this week I plan to put the 8801 through its paces, I will say it has impressive usb performace of Hi rez files, there where a few (3) not sure how to describe it , but here goes digital glitches (sounded like a scratch but digitized:D) Iv'e heard this from my 95 in the pass occasionally its a bit unnerving to say the least. A little A/B comparison between the 8801 and 105 is my focus this week I shall indeed post up!
post #1392 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

I honestly believe, after being in this industry and hobby for 15+ years and having all the toys - theta, meridian 861, Dsat, that much of what someone hears when they switch out gear is "wow, that sounds different." Well, it would, it's not the same gear. After we "adjust" to the sound, it becomes "the same ole thing" again.... So, switching out gear allows us to hear that "wow, that's different" again, even though it may not be objectively better. 

Amen.

post #1393 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions for Discrete Power. I'm gonna call Marantz tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.
I do have the latest discrete Hex codes for the 8801 that have not been released yet. I will attach it here for you all.
Marantz IR-HEX Codes 11-2012 - NEWEST.xlsx 559k .xlsx file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

TaDaaa! I found the workaround on the Logitech forums.
"A better solution to this problem is to set the Power On commoand to be "none" as the input command will power on the unit
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Power Setting
Then at
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Adjust Delays
Set the Power On delay to 0ms
This will also speed up the start of all of your Activities
"
I have tested it. This works well.
The only gripe I have now is missing the ir command or setting to switch the rear back surround upmixing OFF on 5.1 DTS sources as in the 4311CI. The current workaround is to manually select "none" in the GUI under speakers, and select "2spkrs" When you need to go from discreet 5.1 to discreet 6 or 7.1......I wish there was another way. Here is to hoping someone comes up with a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Hey, handy some commands from other Marantz products in the Harmony database not programmed for the 8801;
Home Theater EQ toggle
Direct to test tones
Dynamic EQ toggle
Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Vol toggle
Audyssey (MultEQ) toggle
Favorite Stations
Status (Very nice! OSD with way more info than "Info" button gives)<== This is what prompted me to experiment. It was worth it Keep pressing and more even info is given on the signal.
These were the only ones I felt like playing around with. Took me a few hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

IR command in what? Roomie, or some other programmable device? Thanks...
It doesn't appear that AUTO, HDMI, and ANALOG are discretely addressable, or are the four Dialolg Enhancement settings (off, low, medium, high)
I hope Marantz gets around to expanding discrete access to functions in these areas.
THRANG. I hope these posts help you. The discreet commands I found were from other marantz SR/AV units, but they work on the 8801.
post #1394 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Does anyone know Marantz implementations well enough to answer if they have or ever had an equivalent to AL32 built-in? As I understand Denon-world which isn't perfect, isn't AL32 (AL24) a form of upsampling to 192Hz 32 (24) bits? Could one ever turn it off in a menu, similar to how Pioneer does theirs or is it on all the time for all sources as implemented by Denon? Marantz doesn't mention any similar form of upsampling in product sheets or manual, as far as I can tell.
Thanks

Good question, and one no one seems to know the answer to. From what I can tell the Marantz is flat out missing DDSC, Denon Link HD, and AL24 processing. I don't understand why the Marantz is missing this.

-Brian
Edited by Bghead8che - 1/2/13 at 4:59pm
post #1395 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great post and so true. Whenever I have a new piece in for review I really have to let my self forget that it's new and really listen to it critically before making a judgement. It takes a few weeks and many hours for your memory to fog of what you had in there previously and judge the new piece on its own merits. Furthermore, the spec sheets are often times wrong when you actually measure the piece on the bench, which is why in our reviews we never get to see the bench results until the review hits the newsstands!

Expectation bias. We expect the new component to sound better so it does.

Many years ago, I spent many thousands of dollars on new power cords and immediately heard the improvement. I then had a friend interchange the stock power cords with the new mega buck cords without me knowing what I was listening to. I could no longer pick out the new cords. This is not to suggest power cords do not make a difference (they don't to me) but rather that removing the ability to know what I was listening to made the differences (if there were any) inaudible.

I would love to make a blind comparison of the 8801 and the Integra 80.x using identical Audyssey filters!!
post #1396 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Expectation bias. We expect the new component to sound better so it does.

Can't say I agree fully agree with this analogy. I've purchased processors in the past with high expectations I would hear a substantial improvement and was disappointed. Enough so, I immediately dumped it and went back to my previous processor.
Edited by adidino - 1/2/13 at 8:46pm
post #1397 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Can't say I agree with this fully analogy. I've purchased processors in the past with high expectations I would hear a substantial improvement and was disappointed. Enough so, I immediately dumped it and went back to my previous processor.

You are a rare sole in audiophile land!
post #1398 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

You are a rare sole in audiophile land!

Possible but it's really about being honest with yourself. The one thing I will struggle with is admitting if the Marantz is better than my Classe CT-SSP. I'll find out soon enough but I will admit it will be hard to accept if it's indeed the case. I love my Classe but it's starting to be an issue in terms of features for me. IP control and 4K passthrough for example. Not until I heard Greg's would I have considered it. Not to mention I am very curious about Audyssey XT32
post #1399 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Can't say I agree with this fully analogy. I've purchased processors in the past with high expectations I would hear a substantial improvement and was disappointed. Enough so, I immediately dumped it and went back to my previous processor.

Same here.....twice. But I may have jumped the gun on at least one of these.

What further complicates it is if there needs to be some degree of burn in that takes long enough that your memory of your last system has fogged. I suppose one could connect a new preamp to a second system for burn-in purposes and then switch it to your main system.
Edited by JimP - 1/4/13 at 3:41am
post #1400 of 11280
^^^
There is a another school of thought. Perhaps your earliest impressions are the most accurate.
I do not believe transistors break in in an appreciable way.
However, humans are adaptable so we are easily swayed.

- Rich
post #1401 of 11280
IMHO...

I can appreciate some aspect of the POV about the "newness" of something lending to an initial analysis of "betterness", but not fully. There are so many other sensory things we can distinguish (the taste of a steak in different restaurants, varietals of wine, the ride and handling of different cars, the brightness or sharpness of an image etc.) Why when it comes to audio electronics is out ability to sense these differences diminished?

We talk about the audible differences created by moving your speakers a few inches one way or the other, or changing toe-in can (and it's true), or adding even modest room treatments where ever possible. Why are processors and amps, with all there varieties of design and circuitry, processing algorithms, component choices, etc. suddenly normalized in some discussions?

And things change over time, sometimes for the worse, but often for the better. So what was available from a design and build perspective years ago is not the same today, so its not unreasonable to see newer quality components bring benefits older tech cannot.

As Tony, there's plenty I have purchased that I've sold off given there was not a sonic improvement. We all have, that's why we waste our time here! I had a Classé SSP-800 and a CP-800, and both are gone - the Integra 80.3 was better for HT for me, and the 8801 much better than the 80.3. I preferred an older M2Tech Young DAC over the newer CP-800 (nor did I need all the flexibility the Classé provided). I owned W4S amps, and while great in many ways, they didn't work well for me and I found the Mcintosh 8207 better. Better still I think will be the MC303 I just installed tonight for the LCR (no critical listening or recalibration, but I can already hear the difference in low and mid range performance even over the excellent 8207 with my 802's) Just like I can feel the difference between how a BMW and Jag accelerate (I like supercharged better than turbo, though I own the wrong car for that assessment...)

I ain't bitchin', and I respect various POVs, but I've always found this take the most amps and processors (excluding the really cheap stuff of course) sound basically the same a curious position.
post #1402 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Possible but it's really about being honest with yourself. The one thing I will struggle with is admitting if the Marantz is better than my Classe CT-SSP. I'll find out soon enough but I will admit it will be hard to accept if it's indeed the case. I love my Classe but it's starting to be an issue in terms of features for me. IP control and 4K passthrough for example. Not until I heard Greg's would I have considered it. Not to mention I am very curious about Audyssey XT32
\

Pretend the Marantz is better and then compare it. It wil then sound better and you will get the features you want.
post #1403 of 11280
It sounds good or it doesn't if the latter back to the drawing board in my book, I guess nobody here has a reference point and I find it sad sometimes the total dumbing down of Human beings as an unreliable source for measurements of any kind . I personally have it from a reliable source "We are fearfully and Wonderfully made"smile.gif

Enjoy the music!
post #1404 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

As I understand Denon-world which isn't perfect, isn't AL32 (AL24) a form of upsampling to 192Hz 32 (24) bits?
Yes. Here is a good explanation of Advanced AL32 processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Good question, and one no one seems to know the answer to. From what I can tell the Marantz is flat out missing DDSC, Denon Link HD, and AL24 processing. I don't understand why the Marantz is missing this.
It's not Denon. However, if the Marantz's A-D is separate from the DSP, then it fits the definition of Denon DDSC (we already know the D/A is a separate chip).
post #1405 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

The only gripe I have now is missing the ir command or setting to switch the rear back surround upmixing OFF on 5.1 DTS sources as in the 4311CI. The current workaround is to manually select "none" in the GUI under speakers, and select "2spkrs" When you need to go from discreet 5.1 to discreet 6 or 7.1......I wish there was another way. Here is to hoping someone comes up with a solution.
What happens when you set the BD player to output PCM? Do you get straight 5.1 that the 8801 can play as 5.1? If so, could just leave the BD player like that.
post #1406 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

the Integra 80.3 was better for HT for me, and the 8801 much better than the 80.3.

The 8801 is really much better then the 80.3? How would you compare the sound of the 8801 to the 80.3? I know you said it sounds more spacious and makes your room seem larger, but is it a more refined sound? More upfront? Better clarity and detail? I have an 80.3 matched with Seaton Cat 12C's for LCR. Is it worth selling off the 80.3 and picking up a 8801? Before I had the Integra, I had a Marantz SR7500 and loved it matched up with some Paradigm Monitor speakers.
post #1407 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

The 8801 is really much better then the 80.3? How would you compare the sound of the 8801 to the 80.3? I know you said it sounds more spacious and makes your room seem larger, but is it a more refined sound? More upfront? Better clarity and detail? I have an 80.3 matched with Seaton Cat 12C's for LCR. Is it worth selling off the 80.3 and picking up a 8801? Before I had the Integra, I had a Marantz SR7500 and loved it matched up with some Paradigm Monitor speakers.

My review a page or so earlier highlights my impressions, so I don't want to repeat- but, yes, in my setup, I found it a meaningful improvement.
post #1408 of 11280
If one ran used the Denon 4520 as a pre pro with a high quality amp would the sound be on par with the Marantz? I picked the Denon up and it's light, so I have to think the amps are the weakest link.
post #1409 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

My review a page or so earlier highlights my impressions, so I don't want to repeat- but, yes, in my setup, I found it a meaningful improvement.

I just read it and now I want one lmao. I wonder what my 80.3 is worth? It's still basically brand new lol.
post #1410 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I just read it and now I want one lmao. I wonder what my 80.3 is worth? It's still basically brand new lol.

I almost went for a used 80.3 thinking I'd save quite a bit of money, but then bit the bullet on an 8801 instead. The 80.3's I looked at were going for about 1800 (see Audiogon, Ebay "recently sold", and AVS classifieds). The problem I ran into was that I was the warranty. I wanted one used, but found it difficult to part with the money "in hopes" that the thing worked properly by the time it got to me. Paypal might help resolve that for a potential buyer, but I don't use paypal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread