or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 51

post #1501 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

Discodol,
Did you get your 8801 from Steve at Sound video? He mentioned someone in Florida had a 7005 (like me) and had buzz issues, but now with a 8801 the buzz is gone.

I just got my 8801 from Steve. I am in Florida and had hum issues with an AV7701 (see previous posts). With the AV8801, I do not have any hum issues now and it sounds outstanding....better than my Lexicon MC12b. For me, it is a masterpiece.
Edited by planetbrian777 - 1/5/13 at 8:42pm
post #1502 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

I didn't make any claims about how they sound or what people prefer just about the parts being used. For example you make claims about steering of sound in surround. I just point out they (AVP/4520/8801) are running the same 3 chips mostly from the same board and my guess the same software made by the same people. If there is magic it aint in the digital parts.
Here is the layout of the chips for you :

Daniel.

Maybe the analog output stage and a properly configured Audyssey XT32 calibration are more likely contributors to the "magic" smile.gif.
Edited by adidino - 1/5/13 at 11:35am
post #1503 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

can someone be kind enough to PM me a good contact to purchase this unit at a "great" price?
thanks in advance smile.gif

V V V V V V
post #1504 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

Steve Herrala with Sound Video dot com. I have bought many pieces over the years and he is a true professional. I just bought a AV8801 and some Golden Ear speakers from him and they are a perfect match.

+1
post #1505 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

I just got my 8801 from Steve. I am in Florida and had hum issues with an AV7701 (see previous posts). With the AV8801, I do not have any hum issues now and it sounds outstanding....better than my Lexicon MC12b. For me, it is a master piece.

Brian,

Interested in your take on the combination of 8801/8077 with the Tritons. I just bought a set in December and I love them so far. Electronics-wise, I have a Marantz SR7005 and also the 7701/7055 combination on loan from a dealer. First of all, the 7701/7055 combination, right out of the box, made a very noticeable improvement in SQ compared to the 7005. Since I only need 5-channel ability, it is quite tempting to stay with the 7701/7055, save some money and call it a day. However, that little voice inside my head keeps saying to go up a step to the top and get the best that Marantz offers. The other thought, is that maybe I should jump-ship and go with the Denon 4520 since it is so closely based on the Marantz 8 series or is it the other way around? If all things were equal between the Marantz 8 series and the Denon 4520 I would hands-down choose the Marantz but the Denon is half the price of the Marantz and so it's tempting. So, the dilemmas is this: for the price of the 7 series, I could have the Denon 4520 or I could just bite the bullet and buy the Marantz 8 series.

So basically I'm in full-blown upgrade mode and was wondering how much better you feel the new 8 series is over the 7? I realize fully, how hard it is to quantify and describe things like this but since you have owned both recently, along with the GoldenEars, you are in a great position to weigh in on this question. I should also mention that I use my system mostly for 2-channel classical and jazz recordings and hi-rez files more so than for movies and so great sound quality is my primary goal. BTW I made an assumption a few sentences back; is your amp a Marantz 8077 or something else?

Thank you as any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #1506 of 11283
Do I need to enable the amp trigger ports or do they just work when a cable is plugged into them?
post #1507 of 11283
As noted on p. 147 OM, each trigger out can be set to activate on a number of various events.
post #1508 of 11283
I've ordered the AV8801 here in the Netherlands. Unfortunately I will still have to wait 4-5 weeks before Marantz can deliver them in these parts... can only read all your posts now and read the manual...

I've got a specific setup question perhaps someone can answer.
I'm running 1 sub (BagEnd Infrasub 18) + a set of buttkickers (tactile sound) for which I use the second sub pre-out from my Rotel RSP-1098.

When reading the manual I see two options for setting this up on the AV8801:

OPTION 1
1. Run Audyssey calibration for sub 1(Bagend) only
2. Activate sub 2 (buttkickers) manually, after calibration.
but on page 137 of the manual it reads "if you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey Setup, it will not be possible to set Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
So this doesn't seem the correct way to go about this.

OPTION 2
1. Run Audyssey calibration for sub 1(Bagend) and sub 2 (buttkickers)
but as sub 2 is tactile sound, the Audyssey microphone will not pickup any sound, and the setup cannot be complete
So this doesn't seem right either

What to do?
post #1509 of 11283
In using the dynamic equalizer function, has anyone else noticed that with it on the center channel becomes more diffused and lower in volume? When I turn dynamic eq off, voices return to normal.

Can some of you try this out and see if you get the same results.
post #1510 of 11283
That is indeed the result of using Dyn EQ (esp. with TV and music as there is no "reference" standard as used with films), which is why the Reference Level Offset setting (p. 124 OM) was developed to reduce the bass/surround boost of Dyn EQ (while still leaving it enabled). You also have the option of using the "Dialog Enhancer" setting (p. 120 OM).
post #1511 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

Steve Herrala with Sound Video dot com. I have bought many pieces over the years and he is a true professional. I just bought a AV8801 and some Golden Ear speakers from him and they are a perfect match.
+2 (Got two 8801's from him)
post #1512 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

It would be great if someone really close to how D&M does things could say if -
1) AL32 is intact in the Marantz 8801 but is not advertised to preserve brand differentiation or
2) it's there but turned off in FW code
I have a really hard time believing that the company builds 2 separate circuit designs & digital processing boards. that would make no sense for economies of scale in production costs. It makes a whole more sense that the company "comments out" the code that implements AL32 in the processor wink.gif
it's too bad if AL32 really isn't there. because that would make the Marantz a clear winner. I'm still skeptical that the analog enhancements can compensate for lack of upsampling, I can't even find any reference of any kind anywhere on Marantz products about upsampling. Surely in this day, Marantz wouldn't deliberately leave it out which IMO puts them at a disadvantage to nearly all their competitors. Pioneer has had it for years, as has Denon. Why Marantz wouldn't strikes me as very short-sighted technologically. Having it PLUS the analog enhancements, PLUS the shielding would make it a clear winner. as it is, it's not clear at all, all the subjective opinions not withstanding. Sorry, but the objectivist in me wants to know what technology is used in the boxes & make them tick smile.gif no different than how I look at gear from Pioneer or Denon.
subjective remarks about how it sounds are fine but more details of what's really in the 2 products & how they differ would also be very helpful IMO.
not just rely on subjective reviews about the sound somehow being "better". are there more people here who can comment on the hardware & implementation differences? Before I would consider trying one of these, this is the kind of information I would like to see. because I know a fair amount about what's in the Pioneers wink.gif
We know the Audyssey vs Pioneer MCACC issues. What about AL32 vs no-AL32?

Look what I found on Marantz's UK support website on AL24. Funny that it should be found on a Marantz support site... coincidence? I believe in coincidences, I just don't trust them (Garek - ST-DSN). I was thinking along the line of your point 1, that Marantz is not advertizing it to preserve brand differentiation and since AL24 and now AL32 have been technology trademarks marketed under the Denon brand, this hypothesis makes a lot of sense. Marantz has had SQ notoriety for a long time, so I don't see how they could not implement a digital audio up-sampling technology that has the potential to improve the sound of their products, plus considering that they use the same Analog Devices DSPs as the Denon 4520.

Here's an interesting experiment for someone that has all the required equipment. Take some audio software and create three 1 kHz sine .wav files. One at 44.1kHz/16-bit, another at 96kHz/24-bit and a third at 192kHz/24-bit. Next, copy the three .wav files onto a USB key and plug it into the 8801. Finally, connect an oscilloscope to the pre-output from one of the front channel RCA connectors. Play each of the three .wav files and observe on the scope the analog sine wave shape for each file. The 44.1kHz/16-bit signal should show greater signs of aliasing steps than the other two 24-bit files with higher sampling rates. However, if they all look look similarly smooth, one can conclude, specially for the 44kHz/16-bit signal, that the 8801's DSP is up-sampling the lower sample rates to 192 kHz and increasing the bit depth to 24 bits.
post #1513 of 11283
+3. Been getting stuff from Steve for years. Amps, Dali speakers, and the fabulous sounding 8801.
post #1514 of 11283
Question for you guys moving from your Lexicon MC-12 to an 8801:

Do you like the Marantz better because of features, or, sound quality?

I have had my Lexicon for well over ten years now and have become fan of Logic7 processing. I have only got a 5.1 set-up and have no need for video switching or soundtrack de-coding.
post #1515 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

let me ask, have you directly compared the 8801 with the 4520? in same room with same speakers, by chance?
was Joerod able to do that? I know he had both but what I don't remember from reading his reviews weeks ago is whether he had them both at the same time.

No Sir Iv'e not compared the two,but perhaps asking Joerod how he feels about the 8801 todate vs. the 4020 would give more insight on the subject, I personally would find it very interesting to see an update of his views. There has been a very nice increase in image weight and a less glassy upper midrange in my 8801 via hdmi playback for music (no Audyssey, compared to an Oppo 105 via it's xlr analog outs) Its sounding very refined after 300 hrs of burn in!
post #1516 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

I have been following this thread and keep hearing words like buttery smooth and detailed and the first thing that comes to my mind is mcintosh, seeing that d&m sold mcintosh I'm wondering if they used some of that technology from the Mac stuff and incorporated it into the 8801?
I came from an anthem d2 and moved to a Mac mx135 pre and love the smooth detailed sound. I'm thinking of grabbing an 8801 to do a little comparison.
Here's a pic of the back of the mcintosh mx 121
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/Assets/Pages/ZoomImage.aspx?img=/Assets/Images/Products/MX121/XL_MX121_5.jpg
And the marantz 8801
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ZoomImage.aspx?img=/Assets/images/products/AV8801/XL_av8801_u_b_re.jpg
Maybe someone can put those pics side by side?
Anyone have any inside pics of the the two?

It's always possible but I have the feeling that it's rather implausible. As far I know, the R&D for the Mac gear is still done in McIntosh Labs facilities in NY state. D&M holdings, on the other hand, have been doing the R&D for Denon and Marantz in Japan for quite some time, decades in fact.

One area where the 8801 betters the Mac MX121 is in room EQ. The Mac MX121 only supports Audyssey MultEQ XT, not XT32! Go figure with the $6K asking price.
post #1517 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

The 8801 is certainly a nice unit, but a "game changer"? What do you find to be unique in the 8801?

It has a way of presenting a movie experience that's dynamic , precision oriented and a vast spaciousness. The panning effects of a movie are indeed unnerving at times, now some of the same attributes are there for music as well which is the reason I purchased it , I planned on having my Oppo 95 ( now an 105) around as a default position in case things didn't workout as planned. as time passes (burn in) I've listened repeatedly daily to the same tracks and the 8801 I'm finding is a very neutral sounding component , what I would call true to the source material, its also non fatiguing! It sits at unique price point and you can go up or down from there. For me its all I could hope for in a pre/processor its not a "good for music" and "okay for movies" it excels very well indeed on both!
post #1518 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

I just got my 8801 from Steve. I am in Florida and had hum issues with an AV7701 (see previous posts). With the AV8801, I do not have any hum issues now and it sounds outstanding....better than my Lexicon MC12b. For me, it is a master piece.

+1;)
post #1519 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
"Can we find out please how good this piece really is...I'm talking sound quality, period.?"
agreed

If you don't own one, you should reserve your comments until you have objective data in your hands to refute the claims by actual "Owners" not fans but to honest I'm becoming one:p this is an owners thread and not a 8801 vs., I'm sure someone with the reach in there pockets will get around to comparing the two, until then why crash the party:D
post #1520 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Question for you guys moving from your Lexicon MC-12 to an 8801:
Do you like the Marantz better because of features, or, sound quality?
I have had my Lexicon for well over ten years now and have become fan of Logic7 processing. I have only got a 5.1 set-up and have no need for video switching or soundtrack de-coding.

David what did end up getting for a pj?
post #1521 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

If you don't own one, you should reserve your comments until you have objective data in your hands to refute the claims by actual "Owners" not fans but to honest I'm becoming one:p this is an owners thread and not a 8801 vs., I'm sure someone with the reach in there pockets will get around to comparing the two, until then why crash the party:D

I am sure many read a thread to decide if a piece is worth considering. I wanted to go with the Marantz but it took too long to be released in my case.
Edit: went back and post was a bit harsh. From what I have been able to glean is for movies there is a big plus in soundstage and detail. It tells me implementation of DACs was done well among others such as DSP processing power. What I am waiting to hear is critical 2 channel listening using a digital source, i.e. HDMI.
Edited by jima4a - 1/5/13 at 1:47pm
post #1522 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

you should reserve your comments until you have objective data in your hands to refute the claims by actual "Owners" not fans but to honest I'm becoming one:p this is an owners thread and not a 8801 vs., I'm sure someone with the reach in there pockets will get around to comparing the two, until then why crash the party:D

hmm...well, I don't think I was refuting anything wink.gif does anyone who knows my posting history think I was saying anything negative out of hand?

I'm not looking to either refute or confirm anything, all I ever seek is objective facts on hardware, implementation, and I also take subjective reviews into consideration.

don't automatically assume that someone looking for data has an agenda. I don't & neither should you.

and just like many threads, anytime someone raises the evil head of being objective and looking for facts into the thread, the fanboys try to run them off...well, it doesn't work. just like the Pioneer BD-09 and Denon $4500 BD player threads, when Jeff Bland tried to tell people not to automatically drink the kool-aid and people that didn't like his objectivity and message objected to him posting there. actually, in the end, he turned out to be mostly right.

I'm very open-minded that this prepro may in fact be just the piece I'd like to eventually own someday. why assume I (or anyone else for that matter) is trying to diss it?

and no one should tell another respected contributing poster to "refrain from comments" in any thread. in fact, you are entirely welcome to post in the Pioneer SC-68 thread if you think you have a POV or helpful information to owners & potential owners, even if it's to say you think Audyssey is better than MCACC wink.gif

I don't ever try to chase anyone off even if I disagree with them.
Edited by ss9001 - 1/5/13 at 2:26pm
post #1523 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

It's always possible but I have the feeling that it's rather implausible. As far I know, the R&D for the Mac gear is still done in McIntosh Labs facilities in NY state. D&M holdings, on the other hand, have been doing the R&D for Denon and Marantz in Japan for quite some time, decades in fact.
.


Makes sense, but they certainly can share info with each other,I noticed too that when Mac was bought out by d&m a few years back and that's when their digital stuff (proc) had all changed and there was a lot of resemblance to the marantz stuff!


The mcintosh stuff is nice no doubt, but you pay a premium for that!
post #1524 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I am sure many read a thread to decide if a piece is worth considering. I wanted to go with the Marantz but it took too long to be released in my case.

you're right, jima4a.

if everyone thought otherwise, it'd be nothing but people congratulating themselves on what a great buy they made & no one looking for info or thinking of owning one and asking "hard" questions is welcome.

those that know me or how I post also know why I'm here & Denon threads as well as Pioneer threads smile.gif I'm a seeker of knowledge about products other than what I happen to own.
Edited by ss9001 - 1/5/13 at 2:16pm
post #1525 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

No Sir Iv'e not compared the two,but perhaps asking Joerod how he feels about the 8801 todate vs. the 4020 would give more insight on the subject, I personally would find it very interesting to see an update of his views. There has been a very nice increase in image weight and a less glassy upper midrange in my 8801 via hdmi playback for music (no Audyssey, compared to an Oppo 105 via it's xlr analog outs) Its sounding very refined after 300 hrs of burn in!

OK, thanks smile.gif

so you compare gear without the room correction? I do too smile.gif when I try to compare gear, I like to take that out of the equation so I'm hearing what its capable of by itself, not just the processing.
post #1526 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

I strongly disagree. When a quality oriented manufacturer builds a pre/pro for a mid to high-end price point, he'll use better quality components like toroidal transformers, better capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc. They'll also spend more effort on R&D to develop better performing analog circuitry with lower noise floors, specially in the very important analog output stages. Digital and analog electronics are two very different animals. Why do you think there is such a large SQ difference over the analog outs between the Oppo 93 and 95? Their whole digital front-end is identical; that SQ difference is result of the analog output stages, the DAC, the linear power supply with a toroidal transformer, etc.
The manufacturers like Theta Digital (Casablanca pre/pro), Classé (SSP-800), Anthem (Statement D2v), Lexicon and even Denon with their flagship AVP-A1HDCI(A) all understand that. Like I said in an earlier post, you can take the best DAC solution on the market and still have far from optimal results if you analog output stages aren't well designed.

So is the analog output stage well designed in the AV8801?
post #1527 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Makes sense, but they certainly can share info with each other,I noticed too that when Mac was bought out by d&m a few years back and that's when their digital stuff (proc) had all changed and there was a lot of resemblance to the marantz stuff!
The mcintosh stuff is nice no doubt, but you pay a premium for that!

Well we can assume that development is not shared anymore since D&M sold macintosh a few months ago. Its now owned by Fine Sounds (audio research, Sonus Faber, Wadia etc etc).

Daniel.
post #1528 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlgren View Post

So is the analog output stage well designed in the AV8801?

Well on paper i would say between the 4520 and the AVP. But unlike with the digital parts analog parts are more a art form to get right there is no doubt that on paper every part of the analog stage of the AVP is better but who knows what the end effect is. Thats why i kept my 'claims' on things like balanced vs not fully-balanced, power supplies and the difference in dacs things we can look up and check what someone prefers is subjectively better and all bets are off. I see a name the last few pages that was pushing B&K vs the AVP a few years ago and look where we are now.

Daniel.
post #1529 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

hmm...well, I don't think I was refuting anything wink.gif does anyone who knows my posting history think I was saying anything negative out of hand?
I'm not looking to either refute or confirm anything, all I ever seek is objective facts on hardware, implementation, and I also take subjective reviews into consideration.
don't automatically assume that someone looking for data has an agenda. I don't & neither should you.
and just like many threads, anytime someone raises the evil head of being objective and looking for facts into the thread, the fanboys try to run them off...well, it doesn't work. just like the Pioneer BD-09 and Denon $4500 BD player threads, when Jeff Bland tried to tell people not to automatically drink the kool-aid and people that didn't like his objectivity and message objected to him posting there. actually, in the end, he turned out to be mostly right.
I'm very open-minded that this prepro may in fact be just the piece I'd like to eventually own someday. why assume I (or anyone else for that matter) is trying to diss it?
and no one should tell another respected contributing poster to "refrain from comments" in any thread. in fact, you are entirely welcome to post in the Pioneer SC-68 thread if you think you have a POV or helpful information to owners & potential owners, even if it's to say you think Audyssey is better than MCACC wink.gif
I don't ever try to chase anyone off even if I disagree with them.

Of course I'm not trying to chase anyone off as I feel if you have something to contribute you very well should the good and the bad, but we are beyond speculating about the 8801 as it is in the hands of end users and the data both objective and subjective is coming in. I need both but when I post! I post my views just as well as the other guy and I mean to offend no one. I could say the same thing about the scorn one gets about cables or burn in, but I don't And as far respected members I would think we all deserve the same respect. I've visited many threads here and reserve comments ( ok sometimes not:D) out of respect to the forum itself until I have something objective or subjective to post!
post #1530 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

OK, thanks smile.gif
so you compare gear without the room correction? I do too smile.gif when I try to compare gear, I like to take that out of the equation so I'm hearing what its capable of by itself, not just the processing.

A man after my own heart ! I try to get rid of my own placebo's and get down to the bare bones of my gear. In fact I listened to the 8801 for a week prior to running Audyssey to see what it was bringing to the table!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread