or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 60

post #1771 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Some of us have posted, but I think we're all enjoying actually using it!

Oh yeah! Had friends over last night and we watched Dredd! The sound in this one is pretty good. We all ended up with full body massages with the extended moments of LFE. Those butt shakers are a hit here. Literally! biggrin.gif
post #1772 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Oh yeah! Had friends over last night and we watched Dredd! The sound in this one is pretty good. We all ended up with full body massages with the extended moments of LFE. Those butt shakers are a hit here. Literally! biggrin.gif

Yikes! SoundS like a scene from a 70s porno, was there baby oil involved? smile.gif
post #1773 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Some of us have posted, but I think we're all enjoying actually using it!

Yours and joerods review was a good one, just waiting on the stragglers
post #1774 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Anyone know if the remote control input works with a Xantech IR system, or is it proprietary Marantz?

So I tried to connect a 3.5mm (1/8 th inch) mono cable from an IR output of my Xantech connecting block to the Remote Control Input of the AV8801. However, it does not fit. I didn't want to force it in. What kind of cable is suppossed to be used in the AV8801's Remote Control Input?
post #1775 of 11320
Just came in. Initial impressions are very positive - very "open" sound, ie great ambiance and sound staging. Will be doing some critical listening today...

Stieger
post #1776 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Just came in. Initial impressions are very positive - very "open" sound, ie great ambiance and sound staging. Will be doing some critical listening today...

Stieger

Great!

What was your prior preamp?

Thanks,

Rich
post #1777 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Yikes! SoundS like a scene from a 70s porno, was there baby oil involved? smile.gif

LOL!
post #1778 of 11320
Well I finally got to re doing some of my wiring that was bascially not needed anymore....and repositioned some equipment etc....but did not change any room layout or anthing of the sort.

I am coming from a Lex MC12 HD and have been a Lex man for years. I have not enabled Audessey....I just set up everything manually...and did use RS sound level meter....I popped in the Avengers as I am very familiar with it cuz I have seen it I don't know how many times.

Let me tell you Lex guys that are on the fence....I would not hesitate for one second in recommending this unit. I am not saying things like..blows it away...night and day diff etc.....the sound quality is excellent and I did here a clarity in the sound like a veil being lifted. It will not leave you wanting at all...directional effects allso seemed more pronounced. Now like i said no Audessy engaged...and it was using straight DTS Master....no surround processing just like I would have with the Lex. This baby is nice...
post #1779 of 11320
Hey guys...just a quick little question....I am still playing with this thing but I noticed (not sure if I did comething after the fact)....but.....I turned the unit off via the remote....and it was as far as I know...totally off. I came back into the room a little while later and it now had "multi zone" on in the main display behind the door and also dot display in the portal window. This means that there is a zone on....I don't know why it did that....the unit was warm to the touch. When i open the door and turn the zones off manually....it goes back to off as it should. I have nothing connected the other zones....Any ideas?????
post #1780 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Hey guys...just a quick little question....I am still playing with this thing but I noticed (not sure if I did comething after the fact)....but.....I turned the unit off via the remote....and it was as far as I know...totally off. I came back into the room a little while later and it now had "multi zone" on in the main display behind the door and also dot display in the portal window. This means that there is a zone on....I don't know why it did that....the unit was warm to the touch. When i open the door and turn the zones off manually....it goes back to off as it should. I have nothing connected the other zones....Any ideas?????

I have seen this as well...other zones are on for no reason...not very often, but two or three times...
post #1781 of 11320
Rosano,

It's probably how you turn it on. Do not use standby to turn it on. Use the input button to turn it on.

I did the same thing.

Have you tried programming a universal remote? This method affects how you would program a universal.
post #1782 of 11320
Thanks Jim...I do turn it on with the standby button and turn it off with the standy by button.... So I will turn it on with the "bluray input and then turn it off with standby and see what happens. Is this what you menat Jim?

And yes I have programmed a Harmony 900 with the marantz in it....but i haven't really used it yet.

Will keep you posted.
post #1783 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Thanks Jim...I do turn it on with the standby button and turn it off with the standy by button.... So I will turn it on with the "bluray input and then turn it off with standby and see what happens. Is this what you menat Jim?

And yes I have programmed a Harmony 900 with the marantz in it....but i haven't really used it yet.

Will keep you posted.[/quote

Turn on is how you described it.

I've got the Harmony 1 remote and had to have some help to figure it out. If you check back in this thread the week after Christmas, it's there.]
post #1784 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

Did anyone go from an anthem d2v to this marantz av8801????????

I would really like to hear your thoughts on comparing them.

thank you

Bill

???????
post #1785 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Just came in. Initial impressions are very positive - very "open" sound, ie great ambiance and sound staging. Will be doing some critical listening today...

Stieger

Most importantly, would be curious how it stands up vs the Datasat in your opinion. You can PM me on that if you prefer.
post #1786 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

???????
I have a d2, and I love all the features of the marantz , at first I was hesitant, but now spending some time with it, sounds wonderful, the sound field is awesome! My bass sounds more accurate after running audessey . I'm hearing things in the surrounds I never heard before..
post #1787 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

I have a d2, and I love all the features of the marantz , at first I was hesitant, but now spending some time with it, sounds wonderful, the sound field is awesome! My bass sounds more accurate after running audessey . I'm hearing things in the surrounds I never heard before..

did your d2 have the arc room correction? was your d2 in the same system? no changes? thank you for your input... i am really on the fence between these two processors.... well the d2v vs. the av8801 to be exact.
post #1788 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

did your d2 have the arc room correction? was your d2 in the same system? no changes? thank you for your input... i am really on the fence between these two processors.... well the d2v vs. the av8801 to be exact.

Yes I had room correction, the d2 is the only piece I switched, mind you I have the original d2 , the marantz has many extras compared to my d2, tomorrow I will listen to some CD through my classe omega sacd player, I tell you one thing, I have a lot less hand shake issues with the Marantz!! D2 was terrible and I did have the latest software loaded.the surround field sounds better also using the audessey , just got the Marantz 2 days ago so I'm still trying to get a feel for it. Also love the air play streaming off my Mac , controlling off my iPhone and IPad.
Edited by buckley44 - 1/12/13 at 4:29pm
post #1789 of 11320
Keep the reviews coming! And wait till it hits 300hrs and you get Audyssey set up right (took me a week and a lot of reading)" I call em like I hear em" Its the Big dog on campus!
post #1790 of 11320
I had an Integra 80.1 prior. I wouldn't bother spending any money beyond the cost of the Marantz - diminishing returns galore...Definitely more expansive than the Integra, and honestly I cant see hi end manufacturers staying in business unless the economy magically creates a huge influx of folks who don't know what to do with their cash...

There will always be a new widget, new EQ- type, etc., but i dont think many of these warrant a replacement to "better." the marantz is really, very good!
Edited by stieger - 1/12/13 at 4:58pm
post #1791 of 11320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

I had an Integra 80.1 prior. I wouldn't bother spending any money beyond the cost of the Marantz - diminishing returns galore...Definitely more expansive than the Integra, and honestly I cant see hi end manufacturers staying in business unless the economy magically creates a huge influx of folks who don't know what to do with their cash...

Is that a review? How does it compare to your 80.1?
post #1792 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Yes I had room correction, the d2 is the only piece I switched, mind you I have the original d2 , the marantz has many extras compared to my d2, tomorrow I will listen to some CD through my classe omega sacd player, I tell you one thing, I have a lot less hand shake issues with the Marantz!! D2 was terrible and I did have the latest software loaded.the surround field sounds better also using the audessey , just got the Marantz 2 days ago so I'm still trying to get a feel for it. Also love the air play streaming off my Mac , controlling off my iPhone and IPad.
Listening to a chesky recording of Sara k - and it sounds very good, the marantz has a nice warm sound, imaging is great, she does a version of whipping post by the almond bros, and it sounds excellent ...
post #1793 of 11320
Lots of good stuff here guys! Keep the thoughts coming in!
post #1794 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Yes I had room correction, the d2 is the only piece I switched, mind you I have the original d2 , the marantz has many extras compared to my d2, tomorrow I will listen to some CD through my classe omega sacd player, I tell you one thing, I have a lot less hand shake issues with the Marantz!! D2 was terrible and I did have the latest software loaded.the surround field sounds better also using the audessey , just got the Marantz 2 days ago so I'm still trying to get a feel for it. Also love the air play streaming off my Mac , controlling off my iPhone and IPad.

the audio should be roughly the same between the d2 and the d2v... i will be looking forward to your thoughts after listening to your sacd...

thank you for the response.

Bill
post #1795 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Is that a review? How does it compare to your 80.1?

A very short one, yes! I like it more than the datasat - it doesn't have a fan constantly running. Very clear sound and love the front soundstage. Bass is very controlled - great features - I'd imagine this could be rebadged like an oppo, add a thicker faceplate, charge 2x , and it would very much compete with separates - WITH NO ONE BEING THE WISER...
post #1796 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Yours and joerods review was a good one, just waiting on the stragglers

Thanks. Would also love to read more people's thoughts. smile.gif
post #1797 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

A very short one, yes! I like it more than the datasat - it doesn't have a fan constantly running. Very clear sound and love the front soundstage. Bass is very controlled - great features - I'd imagine this could be rebadged like an oppo, add a thicker faceplate, charge 2x , and it would very much compete with separates - WITH NO ONE BEING THE WISER...

+1;)
post #1798 of 11320
Was watchng Star Trek last night, and while it sounded good, it wasn't as dynamic as other movies I watched. I looked in the marantz audio menu, surround parameter, and, voila, there was a Dynamic Compression (TrueHD) option turned on by default for truehd which was, well, compressing the playback. Turned it off, and the glory was back...

It only appears when a TrueHD track is playing...
post #1799 of 11320
Also noticed a network ip oddity. I tried logging into the marantz this morning (statically assigned .110 address) but it was not responding on any browser.

Ran a network scan utility, the the 8801 was showing an ip of .207 (on my network, all dhcp addresses are .200 and above) The 8801 responded at that address from my browser

When I checked the GUI on the 8801, the network still showed a static .110 address, though not responding to that, only the .207 address. I re-saved the static ip, and then .110 worked... Bizarre....
post #1800 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Was watchng Star Trek last night, and while it sounded good, it wasn't as dynamic as other movies I watched. I looked in the marantz audio menu, surround parameter, and, voila, there was a Dynamic Compression (TrueHD) option turned on by default for truehd which was, well, compressing the playback. Turned it off, and the glory was back...

It only appears when a TrueHD track is playing...

Do you have to turn it off every time a TrueHD track is played or once you turn it off in the menu it should stay off?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread