or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 7

post #181 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiho View Post

I inquired with this string early on about HDMI 1.4b capabilities of the upcoming
8801. If Marantz really wants to make a splash, the 8801 should come HDMI
ethernet channel-enabled, along with audio return. They could do away with
at least three of those ethernet inputs on the back. This would be a legitimate
advance in technology.

as there are a grand total of zero sources or sinks that are ethernet over hdmi enabled, it would hardly make a "splash"... it would be a worthless inclusion...

if i was building an hdmi repeater (such as an avr), there's no way i'd implement that... one can only imagine the interoperability headaches IF you could find a source or a sink that would support it...

frankly, the switch (actually it's a hub, not a switch, if the understanding of the documentation is correct) that they added is superfluous, as a 20 dollar switch will do the same thing...
post #182 of 11317
I can't say I disagree with you, however, 'ethernet enabled' HDMI is the future. And it all starts with the pre/pro.
post #183 of 11317
^^^

i doubt that very seriously... there's no real "good" reason for it to be so... it's a solution in search of a problem... the spec has been finalized for quite some time, and no one has even bothered to try to implement it...

and by definition, it could be the source or the sink as well... it does not in any way have to "start" with the pre-pro... assuming you have a sink, repeater and source that are enabled, the connection to the network could be to any of them...
post #184 of 11317
Hi All,
So assuming the 8801 doesn't arrive until Q4 2013 and you need to find something else, what would that something else be in the 1k-4k range for an ht pre-pro?
post #185 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECinOC View Post

Hi All,
So assuming the 8801 doesn't arrive until Q4 2013 and you need to find something else, what would that something else be in the 1k-4k range for an ht pre-pro?

As far as I know it's scheduled for Q1 next year. Although not a pre-pro, I'm looking at the Denon 4520. It's already getting fairly hefty discounts where I am, and I guess I could use it a pre-pro if the need arose. The XT32 is definitely a selling point smile.gif

K
post #186 of 11317
Let me start off by saying this is an impossible to answer question, being that the 8801 hasn't been released yet. That said, I'll bet some of you have informed opinions worth noting. The question: Any thoughts on how the Marantz 8801 will compare to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A)? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.
post #187 of 11317
At the very least, the AVP would have to have the $1000 XT32/3D upgrade installed to be comparable with the 8801.
post #188 of 11317
Just got retail pricing from Marantz on the av8801 $3999.99. IMO that's a little high. Still waiting on info, should be soon. I hope This price changes or this individual made an error. eek.gif
Edited by mikeo24 - 10/26/12 at 10:52am
post #189 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECinOC View Post

Let me start off by saying this is an impossible to answer question, being that the 8801 hasn't been released yet. That said, I'll bet some of you have informed opinions worth noting. The question: Any thoughts on how the Marantz 8801 will compare to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A)? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.
I assume the AV8801 could (should) be the halfway point between the AV7701 and the Denon AVP as far as SQ is concerned. AVP is cost no object, fully balanced architecture. So givven the right amps and the right speakers in the right set-up and in the right space, the AVP should sound better. But only if the recording and the source allow it!!

The AV8801 will obviously score better for networking features etc, being a lot younger (despite the AVP's recent upgrade)
post #190 of 11317
^^^

you know what happens when you "assume"... wink.gif
post #191 of 11317
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo24 View Post

Just got retail pricing from Marantz on the av8801 $3999.99. IMO that's a little high. Still waiting on info, should be soon. I hope This price changes or this individual made an error. eek.gif

I hope not. That might be a bit too high for me frown.gif
post #192 of 11317
Yeah... Way more than I want to spend. Might have to get the denon (in preamp mode) a try.
post #193 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin View Post

As for the AV8801 all he could offer was next year.

My dealer here in Ft Lauderdale said his Marantz rep said the same thing, sometime in 2013 but no details from Marantz as yet.

Other than the 8801 the only other piece that has my interest is the Denon 4520ci but everything I have read in this thread says the 8801 will have upgraded DACs so my only question is how much better?

Will the 8801 sound so much better than the 5420ci to make it work the wait until next year for 11 channels??
post #194 of 11317
The difference in DACs has my interest too.
post #195 of 11317
^^^

as "dacs" have been transparent for many years (when objective testing is used), it's not something i'd lose a lot of sleep over...
post #196 of 11317
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
as "dacs" have been transparent for many years (when objective testing is used), it's not something i'd lose a lot of sleep over...

Hey I have to ask... All cables sounds the same, all amps, now all dacs? What does sound different according to you?
post #197 of 11317
Next year and a possible $3999, I think I'll pass and go with plan B, An Integra 80.3/Onkyo5509>Oppo 105 and a second sub and call it a day, as my only interest was really in build quality and pricing. I primarily use the dacs in my Oppo 95 anyway, would have been nice though!
post #198 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Hey I have to ask... All cables sounds the same, all amps, now all dacs? What does sound different according to you?

Not Chris, but I'll take a shot:

Speakers
Room Acoustics
DSP

Measurements bear the above out. Measurements also show that properly built/used solid state amps, cables and dacs are not audibly different.
post #199 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Speakers
Room Acoustics
DSP
Measurements bear the above out. Measurements also show that properly built/used solid state amps, cables and dacs are not audibly different.

I agree 100%.

Bill
post #200 of 11317
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Not Chris, but I'll take a shot:
Speakers
Room Acoustics
DSP
Measurements bear the above out. Measurements also show that properly built/used solid state amps, cables and dacs are not audibly different.

But if that's the case, then most processors should sound the same... No?
post #201 of 11317
Interesting last word I heard was $3600 and Dec.
post #202 of 11317
Just found out that they should officially announce the av8801 around the 1st of November and that North America should see units drop in December.
post #203 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

But if that's the case, then most processors should sound the same... No?

When run within spec, until you execute whatever the native room eq solution is, yes, I would say most AVRs should sound the same.
post #204 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Next year and a possible $3999, I think I'll pass and go with plan B, An Integra 80.3/Onkyo5509>Oppo 105 and a second sub and call it a day, as my only interest was really in build quality and pricing. I primarily use the dacs in my Oppo 95 anyway, would have been nice though!

Whoa that is wild $4000 for this beefed up 7700, no thanks so what will it be when it incorporate MDA or Dolby Atmos 10K?
post #205 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Measurements bear the above out. Measurements also show that properly built/used solid state amps, cables and dacs are not audibly different.

I have always been trying to notice an upgrade that has made a audible difference in how things sound in my systems.

All I can tell you is when I upgraded from the Oppo 93 to the Oppo 95 I could tell a huge difference in how things sounded. And it was not the placebo effect, I am talking major difference. And on the Oppo 95 I can tell a major difference between HDIM audio output, multi channel audio output, and analog audio output.

My other biggest noticable hardware dac upgrade was when I added a Schitt Bifrost to my office computer setup. Total night and day difference in the audio from the same flac files on my computer.

Enough so that I am thinking about upgrading to the Oppo 105 so I can run my AV Computer's audio through it.

That is why I believe that the supposed upgraded dacs in the 8801 might be worth considering in addition of course to the 11 channel capability that I have been waiting years for!!
post #206 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo24 View Post

Just found out that they should officially announce the av8801 around the 1st of November and that North America should see units drop in December.

Sorry, please don't be offended, but I have to ask, was that from a completely reliable trust worthy source?

I don't want to get too excited and have my blood pressure go through the roof................
post #207 of 11317
Dec is the un-announced release date, and while the price in Canada might be $4,000, the retail US price it $3,600.
post #208 of 11317
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Dec is the un-announced release date, and while the price in Canada might be $4,000, the retail US price it $3,600.

Ahhhh that already sounds better! Phew smile.gif
post #209 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

Sorry, please don't be offended, but I have to ask, was that from a completely reliable trust worthy source?
I don't want to get too excited and have my blood pressure go through the roof................

It was coming directly from someone who works for Marantz. He also seemed to think that Can/US pricing would be on par. Will have to wait and see.
post #210 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

I have always been trying to notice an upgrade that has made a audible difference in how things sound in my systems.
All I can tell you is when I upgraded from the Oppo 93 to the Oppo 95 I could tell a huge difference in how things sounded. And it was not the placebo effect, I am talking major difference. And on the Oppo 95 I can tell a major difference between HDIM audio output, multi channel audio output, and analog audio output.
My other biggest noticable hardware dac upgrade was when I added a Schitt Bifrost to my office computer setup. Total night and day difference in the audio from the same flac files on my computer.
Enough so that I am thinking about upgrading to the Oppo 105 so I can run my AV Computer's audio through it.
That is why I believe that the supposed upgraded dacs in the 8801 might be worth considering in addition of course to the 11 channel capability that I have been waiting years for!!

So you're the one human being on the planet immune from the placebo effect rolleyes.gif

An overactive imagination is no substitute for measurements and/or a DBT, which would prove that what you think can determine in an unstructured sighted test is very different than what you can differentiate when proper controls are in place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread