or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 86

post #2551 of 11280
Mr. Gringo, I forgot to ask what amp and speakers you are running?
Thanks.
Edited by cadethoerk - 2/5/13 at 1:44pm
post #2552 of 11280
I contacted Universal Remote, and put in a service request to get the AV7701 and AV8801 codes in their database asap.

they replied to me that they received the info, and they will try to incorporate it into their next update cool.gif
post #2553 of 11280
Hey guys I remember being able to see the software rev number that the unit has via the menus but I can for the life of me find it agian....sounds crazy but i dont see it.....just want to make sure that the new one loads properly after the updates is done.....

Thanks
post #2554 of 11280
lol...never mind found it....
post #2555 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

I contacted Universal Remote, and put in a service request to get the AV7701 and AV8801 codes in their database asap.

they replied to me that they received the info, and they will try to incorporate it into their next update cool.gif

Well done sir! I need to reprogram my MX-980 with the 8801 in the system, but have been too lazy to do anything other than the inputs I use and the volume controls. I foresee a few hour project in my future!
post #2556 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

For me, the sporadic disappearing osd, and additional zones turning on with no reason are are still happening. All zones activated after the 8801 turned itself on after the firmware update!

If your earlier conclusion is true Marantz will be unable to solve the Zone-problem, unless they replace the remotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

It seems the IR version of the Power On command is actually sending a Power All Zones command. The IP version of the device seems to be properly sending the main zone power on only.
post #2557 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettepet View Post

If your earlier conclusion is true Marantz will be unable to solve the Zone-problem, unless they replace the remotes:

I don't think my early presumptions were definitive...at this point, I am not sure what triggers it - certainlly, the fact the all zones turned on when the 8801 rebooted itself after the firmware update seems to indicate the issue may not even be control signal related...
post #2558 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Well done sir! I need to reprogram my MX-980 with the 8801 in the system, but have been too lazy to do anything other than the inputs I use and the volume controls. I foresee a few hour project in my future!

How do you like the MX-980? I have been thinking about getting one myself. Do you miss not having the colored hot keys on it?
post #2559 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I don't think my early presumptions were definitive...at this point, I am not sure what triggers it - certainlly, the fact the all zones turned on when the 8801 rebooted itself after the firmware update seems to indicate the issue may not even be control signal related...

In that case it could very well be solvable in firmware.

In case it is easy for you to determine: How good is the Roomie app at controlling the Marantz with only IP control? (in Europe the IR controller is much more expensive to acquire)
post #2560 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettepet View Post

In that case it could very well be solvable in firmware.

In case it is easy for you to determine: How good is the Roomie app at controlling the Marantz with only IP control? (in Europe the IR controller is much more expensive to acquire)

It is good, though not everything can be controlled via IP at this point. Mainly, the "press and hold" procedure to call up the sound modes does not seem to pass via ip (in Roomie, this is "repeat while touched" or something along those lines...)So I still need to have a mix of IP and IR commands to control all aspects.

There were a few minor features that worked via IP and not IR, and vice versa for other commands...So while I've got it patched together, I'm using a combination of 90% IP, 7% Roomie IR, and 3% custom learned IR, or roughly some blend of that.

Roomie is excellent, but they are a little off on the Marantz support, and they have many non-8801 modes and commands in the device set, remnants from either other past Marantz devices or Denon devices.
post #2561 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

How do you like the MX-980? I have been thinking about getting one myself. Do you miss not having the colored hot keys on it?

I'm not sure what "hot keys" you're referring to, but I absolutely love the 980 (except when I have to reprogram it). The programming isn't very intuitive for someone who doesn't work with the software everyday. I plan on retaking URC's webinar on programming the remote to refresh myself again with the process of building a program from the ground up. Besides that one issue, the remote works like a champ for everyone in the house.
post #2562 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, please do. Also can you post the rack kit model #, price info and place of purchase?
av8801 rack mount hardware .JPG 94k .JPG file av8801 rack mounted.JPG 152k .JPG file

I have attached images of the Marantz rack mount for the AV8801 and a picture of the AV8801 installed with the Marantz rack mount. The rack mount kit itself is the Marantz RMK8003AV. The side panels attach with 3 screws to each side of the AV8801, and the front piece attaches with to the two side panels with two screws on each end. I purchased the rack mount along with my AV8801 from Sound Video.
post #2563 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfav View Post

Why is the HDMI straight to the TV? This is your issue likely.

Because the AV8003 didn't support 3D passthrough, and I just kept it so to have a cleaner path. Going to change it to get the OSD that is much needed with the AV8801.
But there was never any lip sync issues with the AV8003.
post #2564 of 11280
I think there is something weird. This was some of the first things I checked when I goy my unit.

When using the original AV8801 remote, the Zones keeps off. But when using my Logitech Harmony Touch the Zones turns on, but not off.
Then changing the power on to cbl/sat input it works great.

I did see in the Harmony software that they have power on, power off and power toggle options, and the remote only have the power toggle button.

Do you guys get this Zone problem with the origintal remote? Og just universal remotes?
post #2565 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

It is good, though not everything can be controlled via IP at this point. Mainly, the "press and hold" procedure to call up the sound modes does not seem to pass via ip (in Roomie, this is "repeat while touched" or something along those lines...)So I still need to have a mix of IP and IR commands to control all aspects.

There were a few minor features that worked via IP and not IR, and vice versa for other commands...So while I've got it patched together, I'm using a combination of 90% IP, 7% Roomie IR, and 3% custom learned IR, or roughly some blend of that.

Roomie is excellent, but they are a little off on the Marantz support, and they have many non-8801 modes and commands in the device set, remnants from either other past Marantz devices or Denon devices.

Thanks! Hopefully Marantz (and other manufacturers) will make more functions available through both controller types, and in user friendly ways. From what I read on any iPad App supporting Marantz equipment you often need to endlessly scroll through options with "up' and "down", for instance, when you could directly click on the item in the list.
---

In case people haven't noticed, the opening post has been updated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Official Marantz AV8801 thread

Firmware Changelog Information

1. 12/11/2012
- Connection to Pandora Servers

2. 02/05/2013
- The sound doesn't come from Width and Height speakers when playing DTS-MA or Dolby True HD when using DTS NEO:X mode.
- When the customer connects DLXA75R(VICTOR) and 65ZT5(Panasonic) with the unit via HDMI, the unit is freezed by a dual output.
post #2566 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersT2 View Post

I think there is something weird. This was some of the first things I checked when I goy my unit.

When using the original AV8801 remote, the Zones keeps off. But when using my Logitech Harmony Touch the Zones turns on, but not off.
Then changing the power on to cbl/sat input it works great.

I did see in the Harmony software that they have power on, power off and power toggle options, and the remote only have the power toggle button.

Do you guys get this Zone problem with the origintal remote? Og just universal remotes?

Check out post 1206 on page 41.
post #2567 of 11280
I am currently choosing between pre/pro Marantz AV8801 or a NAD M15HD. One thing about the AV8801 is putting me off.

It's a handy function that seems to be omitted from Marantz latest models? The possibility to individually adjust speaker channel levels on-the-fly per input source and have those settings automatically saved for that particular input (I believe both Denon and Marantz use to cater for this feature within 'Personal Memory Plus'). As I understand it now one must use something called "hex codes" to access speaker channel levels? I feel like a novice not knowing what that is, or how to even implement it (I have a Logitech Harmony 900 remote). And if one does indeed use those codes, will the settings really be saved for that particular input or globally? The latter is of no interest since I may then just aswell use the main settings but I'd have to change back every time to watch a blu-ray. I want to tailor the balance of sound when using 'All Channel Stereo' for CD-input, one that does not affect any other source. I may simply want to lower the centerchannel or adjust others as I see fit. Can it be done and how?

I will be eternally grateful for anyones input! smile.gif
Edited by RickyDeg - 2/6/13 at 4:47am
post #2568 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

I am currently choosing between pre/pro Marantz AV8801 or a NAD M15HD. One thing about the AV8801 is putting me off.

It's a handy function that seems to be omitted from Marantz latest models? The possibility to individually adjust speaker channel levels on-the-fly per input source and have those settings automatically saved for that particular input (I believe both Denon and Marantz use to cater for this feature within 'Personal Memory Plus'). As I understand it now one must use something called "hex codes" to access speaker channel levels? I feel like a novice not knowing what that is, or how to even implement it (I have a Logitech Harmony 900 remote). And if one does indeed use those codes, will the settings really be saved for that particular input or globally? The latter is of no interest since I may then just aswell use the main settings but I'd have to change back every time to watch a blu-ray. I want to tailor the balance of sound when using 'All Channel Stereo' for CD-input, one that does not affect any other source. I may simply want to lower the centerchannel or adjust others as I see fit. Can it be done and how?

I will be eternally grateful for anyones input! smile.gif

You talking about customized virtual inputs? Yes, I agree. should have been an option. Not sure why they didn't do that. This processor has every bell and whistle in the book but this was left out for some reason.
post #2569 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

You talking about customized virtual inputs? Yes, I agree. should have been an option. Not sure why they didn't do that. This processor has every bell and whistle in the book but this was left out for some reason.

Yes, I suppose individual adjustment of speaker channel levels saved per input source should fall under "customized virtual inputs", not sure. If that has been omitted in the AV8801 then it's a big let-down frown.gif Totally non-flexible. Funny thing is Marantz do mention 'Personal Memory Plus' in the manual as being part of this unit but then there is no mention anywhere of how to adjust individual speaker channel levels per input. My hope is that those so-called hex codes might solve the issue?
post #2570 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

just got mine into the rack

Serial number ends 000485: my 8801 was made in Japan

Unit powers up and looks great

My RTI remote is programmed with Denon serial drivers for the AVR-A100: they seem to work fine with the Marantz as well smile.gif

Listened to the 8801 with Emo XPA-5 for several hours last night without Audyssey setup

first impression is sound quality is better than the Denon A-100 but that is my opinion only and there is still a lot of setup work to be done: the iPad app works pretty well (better than Denon)

tonight I hook up the Marantz 8807 amp and see how that sounds
post #2571 of 11280
My AV8801 and MM8803 arrived late yesterday and I plan to start setting them up today.

After keeping up with this thread, I'm still a little confused as I also have a Lumagen Radiance XS video processor. Before with my two previous AVRs, I kept the Radiance and AVR separate--I never sent video through the AVRs, even unprocessed. Wanted to keep audio and video "separate" as my first AVR suffered from adding unwanted loud clicks and pops and screeches when video went through it, especially when changing inputs. A little adjustment of the delay on the AVR kept audio and video in sync.

So I'm not sure if I should now chain the AV8801 and the Radiance together--and what is the best way to do that? Lumagen and then AV8801 with set to passthrough? Or AV8801 set to passthrough and then the Lumagen? Or keep things separate?

Also, is it critical to have OSD? I still need to print out the manual and read/scan it--but what do I lose by not having OSD?
post #2572 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

av8801 rack mount hardware .JPG 94k .JPG file av8801 rack mounted.JPG 152k .JPG file

I have attached images of the Marantz rack mount for the AV8801 and a picture of the AV8801 installed with the Marantz rack mount. The rack mount kit itself is the Marantz RMK8003AV. The side panels attach with 3 screws to each side of the AV8801, and the front piece attaches with to the two side panels with two screws on each end. I purchased the rack mount along with my AV8801 from Sound Video.

Thanks for this. I assume there is no interference with the front panel folding down with this rack mount kit installed? A normal Middle Atlantic shelf does slightly interfere as I have mind set up now.
post #2573 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

A normal Middle Atlantic shelf does slightly interfere as I have mind set up now.
A normal custom RSH does not interfere. I like the way the Marantz mount lets the whole curve show. Their last rack mount wasn't like this one and didn't look very good. Wish MA would do theirs that way so the faceplate matched gauge and finish.
post #2574 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

My AV8801 and MM8803 arrived late yesterday and I plan to start setting them up today.

After keeping up with this thread, I'm still a little confused as I also have a Lumagen Radiance XS video processor. Before with my two previous AVRs, I kept the Radiance and AVR separate--I never sent video through the AVRs, even unprocessed. Wanted to keep audio and video "separate" as my first AVR suffered from adding unwanted loud clicks and pops and screeches when video went through it, especially when changing inputs. A little adjustment of the delay on the AVR kept audio and video in sync.

So I'm not sure if I should now chain the AV8801 and the Radiance together--and what is the best way to do that? Lumagen and then AV8801 with set to passthrough? Or AV8801 set to passthrough and then the Lumagen? Or keep things separate?

Also, is it critical to have OSD? I still need to print out the manual and read/scan it--but what do I lose by not having OSD?

I would put the Lumagen after the signals go through the AVR on passthrough.
post #2575 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, please do. Also can you post the rack kit model #, price info and place of purchase?
av8801 rack mount hardware .JPG 94k .JPG file av8801 rack mounted.JPG 152k .JPG file

I have attached images of the Marantz rack mount for the AV8801 and a picture of the AV8801 installed with the Marantz rack mount. The rack mount kit itself is the Marantz RMK8003AV. The side panels attach with 3 screws to each side of the AV8801, and the front piece attaches with to the two side panels with two screws on each end. I purchased the rack mount along with my AV8801 from Sound Video.

I ordered this too: Amazon has in stock

Be careful if you are using an open rack shelf for this unit: the front panel protrusion may interfere with side clearance and prevent you from sliding the unit all the way in

Can anyone post the part number of the Marantz rack kit for the 8807 amp?
post #2576 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

My AV8801 and MM8803 arrived late yesterday and I plan to start setting them up today.

After keeping up with this thread, I'm still a little confused as I also have a Lumagen Radiance XS video processor. Before with my two previous AVRs, I kept the Radiance and AVR separate--I never sent video through the AVRs, even unprocessed. Wanted to keep audio and video "separate" as my first AVR suffered from adding unwanted loud clicks and pops and screeches when video went through it, especially when changing inputs. A little adjustment of the delay on the AVR kept audio and video in sync.

So I'm not sure if I should now chain the AV8801 and the Radiance together--and what is the best way to do that? Lumagen and then AV8801 with set to passthrough? Or AV8801 set to passthrough and then the Lumagen? Or keep things separate?

Also, is it critical to have OSD? I still need to print out the manual and read/scan it--but what do I lose by not having OSD?

Not normally, just during setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I would put the Lumagen after the signals go through the AVR on passthrough.

I second that. I use a Lumagen Mini connected after the display.

- Rich
post #2577 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Listened to the 8801 with Emo XPA-5 for several hours last night without Audyssey setup

first impression is sound quality is better than the Denon A-100 but that is my opinion only and there is still a lot of setup work to be done: the iPad app works pretty well (better than Denon)

tonight I hook up the Marantz 8807 amp and see how that sounds

Interesting.
I am waiting for my replacement but the first one I had was not flat from the analog 7.1 inputs.
There was a noticable treble boost which is not good if you speakers are bright enough.
This is a non-issue for Audyssey users since the engaging any kind of equalization does not push the treble.

I will test this all again when the new one arrives.

- Rich
post #2578 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Thanks for this. I assume there is no interference with the front panel folding down with this rack mount kit installed? A normal Middle Atlantic shelf does slightly interfere as I have mind set up now.
There is no interference with the front panel folding down.
Edited by retate - 2/6/13 at 10:49am
post #2579 of 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions for Discrete Power. I'm gonna call Marantz tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

I do have the latest discrete Hex codes for the 8801 that have not been released yet. I will attach it here for you all.

Marantz IR-HEX Codes 11-2012 - NEWEST.xlsx 559k .xlsx file
From post #

Sorry, but what is a "hex" code? I think its for remote control commands. I have a "Harmony One".

Also, here is a copy and paste on a work around from Geronimo.USMC (thanks for your service to this country, and for the post) about keeping the other zones off;




"TaDaaa! I found the workaround on the Logitech forums.

"A better solution to this problem is to set the Power On commoand to be "none" as the input command will power on the unit
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Power Setting
Then at
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Adjust Delays
Set the Power On delay to 0ms

This will also speed up the start of all of your Activities"

I have tested it. This works well.
The only gripe I have now is missing the ir command or setting to switch the rear back surround upmixing OFF on 5.1 DTS sources as in the 4311CI. The current workaround is to manually select "none" in the GUI under speakers, and select "2spkrs" When you need to go from discreet 5.1 to discreet 6 or 7.1......I wish there was another way. Here is to hoping someone comes up with a solution."




I will try it myself later today,

CP
post #2580 of 11280
Sorry, byt in the Harmony software, I am not seeing the above options;

When I go into the "Devices" tab, I select the "Settings" option for the AV Receiver, and I select "Adjust power settings", but my options are

*I want to leave this device on all the time
*I want to turn off this device when its not in use
*There are no power buttons on my current remote for my Marantz AV8801 AV Reveiver

Which do I need to select? The middle one; "I want to turn off this device..."?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread