or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 90

post #2671 of 11327
Does this unit convert DSD to PCM or leave it in its native DSD format before the analog conversion?
post #2672 of 11327
DSD ---> PCM ---> Analog
post #2673 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski View Post

Not 4520 but with 4311, depending on 2CH Stereo setting, sub woofer is bypassed or not with Direct. With Pure Direct, no video display, no 4311 display and no subs.

Yup. For some reason the 2CH Direct/Stereo setting was not carried forward from the Denon XX12 to XX13 models (or 4520CI), rather only the 3313CI and 4520CI feature a dedicated "2CH Playback" setting (no DIRECT) so there is no longer any dedicated 2CH setting to work around the lack of bass management with DIRECT by using the LFE+Main setting.
Edited by jdsmoothie - 2/9/13 at 12:29am
post #2674 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The sound obtained by streaming directly into the 8801 is excellent but, imho, seriously limited by the range of formats and by the number of channels.  As a result, I prefer going through the Oppo 103.



Thanks Kal.
post #2675 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

thanks, Daniel smile.gif

I thought they both did. and the old 5805 manual specifically states that all dig processing is turned off for analogs, if you select the EQ off option for Pure Direct. This is also the way Pioneer implemented it in all the flagship receivers, including Susano SC-09. I'm not 100% sure if the new SC-68 does it exactly same, since I don't have analog inputs into it wink.gif but I did select its CD input, selected analog as signal input & in Pure Direct, Analog Direct is displayed, just like in all other Pio flagships. Selecting their MCACC preset Off was an extra precaution that also bypassed all channel level & distance adjustments. so it really was an analog bypass.

if D&M isn't turning off digital processing, as the manuals imply, then that's changed. current manuals only state they turn off video processing circuitry & display, & tone controls (Direct). unless they aren't stating the details, which is very possible, it may not be the same as it used to be.

I don't know how you can confirm this if the display is turned off and there's no indication if audyssey is off confused.gif probably doesn't matter to 99.99% of owners especially in an HDMI world.

That is my point you can't 'guess' what happens when the display goes dark (by selecting pure-direct). It might depend on other settings the avp can and we have tested

pure direct with audyssey on
pure direct with subwoofer on (digital)
pure direct with AL32 on
pure direct with DSP's off (is a setting in a menu)
pure direct with subwoofer
pure direct with DTS and DOLBY decoding on

Now the newer models might be able todo less of this changing what pure and pure-direct does but making claims without knowing input type. settings and output is guessing at best since its within D&M not a 'all digital off' mode as many seem to think and keep claiming not been like that for ages.

Daniel.
post #2676 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Most remotes these days truly suck, which is why I bought a MX-980 from URC. It's sturdy and can be programmed to do anything (although the programming isn't easy to do) and it's much superior to any stock remote I've ever used.

I am sticking with my Pronto 9400.
Too bad they finally got the software right after the product was End of Life.

With a few small changes the Harmony's could be contenders:

- The Ability to always send commands. It thinks it knows the state of your equipment, but never does.
- The Ability to enter your own command from codes.
- A web site that STILL requires a unique email address per remote. Seriously wink.gif


- Rich
post #2677 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

That is my point you can't 'guess' what happens when the display goes dark (by selecting pure-direct). It might depend on other settings the avp can and we have tested

pure direct with audyssey on
pure direct with subwoofer on (digital)
pure direct with AL32 on
pure direct with DSP's off (is a setting in a menu)
pure direct with subwoofer
pure direct with DTS and DOLBY decoding on

Now the newer models might be able todo less of this changing what pure and pure-direct does but making claims without knowing input type. settings and output is guessing at best since its within D&M not a 'all digital off' mode as many seem to think and keep claiming not been like that for ages.

Daniel.

Exactly.

And if you are in pure direct you cannot select another mode without first exiting pure direct.
It would be a bit less anoying if the display would light up "Unavailable".
Instead, you are left wondering if the IR command was received.
So you try that a few times and then remember.

Arghh..

- Rich
post #2678 of 11327
Speaking of Harmony, I finally got a response from them regarding my request to add the ability to switch Audio inputs from HDMI to 7.1 Analog. First, here is the question I sent them:
Quote:
I have a Marantz 8801. I would like to be able to program my remote to select different audio inputs for certain functions. For example, my Oppo 105 Blu-ray player is used for both movies and CDs. When I want to "Watch a Movie", I would like to select the Blu-ray input, with HDMI audio. But when I want to "Listen to CD", I want to select the same Blu-ray input, but with audio from the 7.1 Analog inputs.

I believe these are the Hex Codes for this function:

INPUT MODE:AUTO 16 01 15
INPUT MODE:HDMI 16 01 16
INPUT MODE:DIGITAL 16 01 17
INPUT MODE:ANALOG 16 01 18

Thanks so much,

Lee

And here is their response:
Quote:
Dear Lee,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care about your incident number 130208-001367. You can use this incident number to follow up on this particular issue.

Lee, please delete and re add your device using this model number Oppo 105EU

Thank you once again for contacting Logitech Customer Care, have a great day!

Regards,

Lesther
Logitech Customer Care

Very frustrating! I wrote back and told them I am trying to control a function on the Marantz 8801, NOT the Oppo 105. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted when I finally get a proper response.
post #2679 of 11327
^^^

They are easily confused.
20/20 hindsight. Just say I want the following Marantz AV8801 codes...

You could enter another ticket if you think they don't get it.
It tooks 2 days for me but I think I asked during the week.

I submitted a ticket to see if I could get my Harmony One to always send the commands, regardless of the perceived state.

- Rich
post #2680 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I'm having handshake issues. Every so often, I'm losing all video (don't know about audio), but still can pull up the setup OSD, when I switch hdmi inputs, just not the status command OSD. I'm getting another 8801 to test. I will update my situation. The only thing that brings back output is unplugging then plugging it back in. Here are my HDMI sources;
CX7000ES MEGA CHANGER #1
CX7000ES MEGA CHANGER #2
PANASONIC 3D PLAYER
HTPC NVIDIA 4GB 680GTX
360
PS3
WII-U

Update #1:

Mv 2nd experimental 8801 will be here tomorrow. Gives me from Thursday till Monday to decide if this issue is firmware or what by having two on deck.

Update #2:
The 2nd AV8801 does the same thing. I believe the 8801's HDMI/Firmware/chipset goes crazy during HDMI resolution handshakes, As Thrang alluded. My CX7000ES has "auto" for the resolution format. I changed it to "1080p" on both of my units. So far, so good. These changers were rock solid on the auto setting with my 4311CI. Let's how long this solution lasts....

I found another annoyance. Maybe its me, but has anyone been able to get HDRADIO substations? There isn't even a way to specify "HD2" in the manual tuning......Someone please check this out.....My 4311CI had this feature.

Seems like D&M cut a lot of features since the 4311CI. Still not a dealbreaker, but damn, I sure do miss those features. Its like they took a few steps back in functionality to add a damn Ethernet switch mad.gif
Edited by Geronimo.USMC - 2/9/13 at 11:57am
post #2681 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am sticking with my Pronto 9400.
Too bad they finally got the software right after the product was End of Life.

With a few small changes the Harmony's could be contenders:

- The Ability to always send commands. It thinks it knows the state of your equipment, but never does.
- The Ability to enter your own command from codes.
- A web site that STILL requires a unique email address per remote. Seriously wink.gif


- Rich
I like my 900, but The ability to enter your own command from codes. You hit it right on the head.
post #2682 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Update #2:
I found another annoyance. Maybe its me, but has anyone been able to get HDRADIO substations? There isn't even a way to specify "HD2" in the manual tuning......Someone please check this out.....My 4311CI had this feature.

I have been able to add two HD2 channels, which is all I need.

It was a little tricky. Had to go to the normal HD1 channel and then very briefly touch the tuner button to the right (+) and it finally "found" the second channel. Had to do this this a couple of times until it "took." Too often it went beyond to the next discoverable frequency up the line.

Yes--being a former 4311ci owner, I miss the manual tuning also for HD radio.

Also, all your previously posted impressions on the sound from the unit compared to 4311ci were spot on. Really, really, really prefer the sound of my AV8801/MM8807 over the 4311ci. If I had to to describe it, I'd call it "more open and deep with a touch of warmth."

So thanks for your earlier impressions. They helped sway me to the Marantz. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #2683 of 11327
Thread Starter 


Just installed my new Marantz units, replacing a AV7005/Parasound A23 (rears - the MM8807 will do rear and heights).. From bottom to top:
Parasound A51 5Ch Amp
Marantz MM8807 7Ch Amp
Marantz AV8801 Pre-Amp
Toshiba XA2 Region Free HD/SD DVD Player
Oppo BDP-93 BR Player
Monster HTS3500 Power Conditioner
Tivo HD DVR
XBOX 360 on the side

Will post my findings after the firmware update (takes forever!) and running Audyssey
post #2684 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

I have been able to add two HD2 channels, which is all I need.

It was a little tricky. Had to go to the normal HD1 channel and then very briefly touch the tuner button to the right (+) and it finally "found" the second channel. Had to do this this a couple of times until it "took." Too often it went beyond to the next discoverable frequency up the line.

Yes--being a former 4311ci owner, I miss the manual tuning also for HD radio.

Also, all your previously posted impressions on the sound from the unit compared to 4311ci were spot on. Really, really, really prefer the sound of my AV8801/MM8807 over the 4311ci. If I had to to describe it, I'd call it "more open and deep with a touch of warmth."

So thanks for your earlier impressions. They helped sway me to the Marantz. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
I return the thanks onto you about the HD2 Channels. I guess I'll play with it some more & quickly preset it when I lock on it.
I really enjoy/prefer the AV8801 as well. smile.gif Enjoy! wink.gif
post #2685 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am sticking with my Pronto 9400.
Too bad they finally got the software right after the product was End of Life.

With a few small changes the Harmony's could be contenders:

- The Ability to always send commands. It thinks it knows the state of your equipment, but never does.
- The Ability to enter your own command from codes.
- A web site that STILL requires a unique email address per remote. Seriously wink.gif


- Rich

I'm also using a Pronto TSU9400. I use RS232 for 2-way feedback. The RS232 discrete power on command for zone 1 works properly. It only turns on zone
1. The IR zone 1 power on has a bug on which it turns on all zones, which I suspect is the reason why Harmony users are having trouble. I opened a trouble ticket with Marantz, but like all online tickets they haven't responded.
post #2686 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post



Just installed my new Marantz units, replacing a AV7005/Parasound A23 (rears - the MM8807 will do rear and heights).. From bottom to top:
Parasound A51 5Ch Amp
Marantz MM8807 7Ch Amp
Marantz AV8801 Pre-Amp
Toshiba XA2 Region Free HD/SD DVD Player
Oppo BDP-93 BR Player
Monster HTS3500 Power Conditioner
Tivo HD DVR
XBOX 360 on the side

Will post my findings after the firmware update (takes forever!) and running Audyssey

Nice rack.

First time I said that to a guy....
post #2687 of 11327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Nice rack.

First time I said that to a guy....

Thanks wink.gif
post #2688 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Nice rack.

First time I said that to a guy....

Now that was funny! biggrin.gif
post #2689 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Nice rack.

First time I said that to a guy....

That's what I thought I just wouldn't admit it.
post #2690 of 11327
Thank god he didn't post a picture of the delivery so I didn't have to comment "Nice package"

I would have had to tender my AVS resignation....
post #2691 of 11327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Thank god he didn't post a picture of the delivery so I didn't have to comment "Nice package"

I would have had to tender my AVS resignation....

You don't want to see my rack AND my package? biggrin.gif
post #2692 of 11327
relax fellas smile.gif
post #2693 of 11327
Tony, how are thing going with the 8801?
post #2694 of 11327
How many are powering their 8801 via ip? I'm experimenting with why my osd sometimes disappears, and am trying ir to see if the condition changes...
post #2695 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Tony, how are thing going with the 8801?

Not bad. Haven't really used it much lately. Had some issues with IP control recently. Menu function wouldn't work and volume control was sporadic.

Plan to compare it the Bryston SP3 which I'll have in about a week. I ordered it ocer a week ago. Didn't realize it was such a long wait.
post #2696 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

How many are powering their 8801 via ip? I'm experimenting with why my osd sometimes disappears, and am trying ir to see if the condition changes...
Sometimes I use the app through IP. Works well for me. I haven't had any loss of video since I changed some settings in my CX7000ES's. The 8801 really doesn't like auto resolution changes. I tried two separate ones. Same story with the same issues, (loss of video on all inputs when switching to the CX7000ES's inputs. I still have OSD though. The opposite of you.) I'm calling marantz Monday.
post #2697 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post



Just installed my new Marantz units, replacing a AV7005/Parasound A23 (rears - the MM8807 will do rear and heights).. From bottom to top:
Parasound A51 5Ch Amp
Marantz MM8807 7Ch Amp
Marantz AV8801 Pre-Amp
Toshiba XA2 Region Free HD/SD DVD Player
Oppo BDP-93 BR Player
Monster HTS3500 Power Conditioner
Tivo HD DVR
XBOX 360 on the side

Will post my findings after the firmware update (takes forever!) and running Audyssey

Wow we have similar setups, but one tip on the 8801 if you can put it on the top to allow good ventilation for the hdmi board it can get a tad warm but will be an oven on the 7" shelf, I have the "VTI" as well and the your setup with the black chrome caps look great here's a not good pic, and might I say you have good taste Sir:D


post #2698 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Exactly.

And if you are in pure direct you cannot select another mode without first exiting pure direct.
It would be a bit less anoying if the display would light up "Unavailable".
Instead, you are left wondering if the IR command was received.
So you try that a few times and then remember.

Arghh..

- Rich

I guess that is to be expected with some of these complex pre-pro's. I didn't even go into the indeed weird quirks it has of being in a mode but not admitting it smile.gif. Maybe D&M is worse than others in this but the combi of bad manuals (except the 5805), many features and regular firmware updates that change things make these forums so valuable its most of the time the only place people can turn to for information and confirmation. This is also why i follow many of these threads since getting a feeling of a new device like the 8801 is not about reading one review but seeing how it evolves over the first few months of knocking against by AVS members. Its nearly impossible for a dealer or even tech support at times to compete with the gained knowledge hidden in these forums.

Daniel.
post #2699 of 11327
I have been following this thread as a potential buyer but it seems to confirm my previous observations on AVRs. Onkyo/Integra seems to get the technical part better than Denon. My 4310 is quite glitchy where my TX-NR1008 and now Integra DHC80.3 are pretty solid. Reliability concerns are there but so far I have not experienced them. I have heard the Bryston SP3 which has me wanting but the price is just a bit crazy. Right now it makes that incremental gain not so inviting but I will continue to follow as I don't know of any reasonably priced options.
post #2700 of 11327
It will be interesting to see if Marantz is responsive in fixing problems and receptive to improvement requests.

I hope so.
ONKYO has more sophisticated and a better configuration options.
IMO, Marantz is better sounding.
ONKYO must be severely beaten up publicly before they will fix a product with a firmware update.
Their TX-NR818 receiver corrupted 23.976 frame rate by treating it as 24p and it took oaths to get them to admit it and the fix is currently available by request only.

- Rich
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread