or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 15

post #421 of 11311
Indeed Krobar. It's also the case on the website. One would hope so, specially considering the $1900 price differential between the two units.
post #422 of 11311
Could ZONE2 be used for bi-amping the main L & R ?
There's no mention of bi-amping in the manual !
post #423 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesN View Post

Could ZONE2 be used for bi-amping the main L & R ?
There's no mention of bi-amping in the manual !

Accorging to the AV8801's manual, it's not possible to re-route the signal paths to support bi-amping config. I hope it's not the case mad.gif

Most pre-amps or pre-processors don't have enough current to drive my amps (extremely low input impedance) with Y-Cable bi-amping method.
post #424 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

Accorging to the AV8801's manual, it's not possible to re-route the signal paths to support bi-amping config. I hope it's not the case mad.gif
Most pre-amps or pre-processors don't have enough current to drive my amps (extremely low input impedance) with Y-Cable bi-amping method.

You can use the RCA and XLR pre outs to biamp no?
post #425 of 11311
Can digital inputs finally be routed to multi-zone outputs? Or do we still need to connect analog RCA cables to our cable boxes, add cheap DAC's to apple TV's, etc to get them to play on zone 2/3?
post #426 of 11311
Still only 2 triggers too. A retarded decision for a 3 zone prepro.
post #427 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth View Post

Can digital inputs finally be routed to multi-zone outputs? Or do we still need to connect analog RCA cables to our cable boxes, add cheap DAC's to apple TV's, etc to get them to play on zone 2/3?

no. yes.
post #428 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth View Post

Can digital inputs finally be routed to multi-zone outputs? Or do we still need to connect analog RCA cables to our cable boxes, add cheap DAC's to apple TV's, etc to get them to play on zone 2/3?

Although it is possible to pass PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to Zones 2/3 on the Denon 3311CI, 4311CI, and 3312CI and on the Marantz SR7005, AV7005, and SR6006, D&M has removed this feature from the new 2012 models (ie. Denon 3313CI, 4520CI, Marantz SR7007, AV7701, and AV8801). So unless using the Zone 4 (HDMI) connection on the 8801, you will indeed need to connect analog cables for Zones 2/3. Also note however, that any on board audio (network radio, Pandora, Spotify, Airplay, HD Tuner) will also pass to Zones 2/3.
post #429 of 11311
Does anybody know how many channels the .flac, .wav and alac support is? On the Integra DHC-80.3 it is only 2 channel.
post #430 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

You can use the RCA and XLR pre outs to biamp no?

No, because just like with Y-cable, the RCA and XLR signal paths become a parallel circuit and will cut down the current delivery in half.

The the whole idea of having the bi-amp routing done in the DSP's digital domain is to get buffered 2Vp-p output from 2 individual outputs.

I hope there's a typo in the AV8801 manual and it really has the same Speaker Configurations as in the AVR-4520 manual.
post #431 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Still only 2 triggers too. A retarded decision for a 3 zone prepro.

A retarded decision for a $3K prepro.
post #432 of 11311
Thread Starter 
post #433 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

First look at the AV8801

Thanks! that was great! I'm all the more excited and beautiful gear to boot.
post #434 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

A retarded decision for a $3K prepro.

And an even more ridiculous choice of words when talking about electronics.
post #435 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwars View Post

And an even more ridiculous choice of words when talking about electronics.
Agreed...
post #436 of 11311
I can't imagine it's not, but the 8801 is Audyssey Pro capable, correct? Can't seem to see any specific note of this
post #437 of 11311
^^^

i would be shocked if it wasn't... considering the unit it's based off of is...
post #438 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Does anybody know how many channels the .flac, .wav and alac support is? On the Integra DHC-80.3 it is only 2 channel.

Likely 2CH bitstream and 5CH PCM.
post #439 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I can't imagine it's not, but the 8801 is Audyssey Pro capable, correct? Can't seem to see any specific note of this

Yes. On the Marantz web page for the AV8801, click on the Specifications Tab, in the "Features" section under "SOUND ENHANCEMENTS", you'll find: "Auto Calibration by MIC Audyssey MultEQXT32 (upgradeable to Pro by Installer)". However, the product brochure and manual make no mention of it.
post #440 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I can't imagine it's not, but the 8801 is Audyssey Pro capable, correct? Can't seem to see any specific note of this

The Marantz SR6007, SR7007, AV7701, AV8801 are Pro Installer ready. Audyssey will eventually get it added to their website.
post #441 of 11311
D'oh! Thanks...

Now, to wait and see of the 8801 is plagued by the same very slow Pro calibrations being reported by some 4520 owners...Denon says its audyssey's issue, prior to that audyssey seem to say there was nothing on their end that would contribute to that issue....
post #442 of 11311
^^^

i'm hoping (although not expecting) that we'll eventually compile enough information for them to figure that out...

it's highly likely that the 8801 will have the same issue if we don't figure it out for them... wink.gif
post #443 of 11311
Thread Starter 
I also wonder if the 8801 has a better IR lens than the AV7005/8003. It's annoying to not be able to control the unit unless you point the remote directly at it.
post #444 of 11311
^^^

dunno... i haven't tried using the oem remote with the 4520... i can give it a shot on that if you like...
post #445 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
i'm hoping (although not expecting) that we'll eventually compile enough information for them to figure that out...
it's highly likely that the 8801 will have the same issue if we don't figure it out for them... wink.gif

My concern is if it ends up being some hardware issue in the denon/marantz...

This would make me pause...

There's still no ship date yet for the 8801, correct?
post #446 of 11311
^^^

yea, understood... don't blame you for that concern... i'm hoping we figure it out, or at least isolate it a little better...

in terms of a "solid" date, not that i've seen...
post #447 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

My concern is if it ends up being some hardware issue in the denon/marantz...
This would make me pause...
There's still no ship date yet for the 8801, correct?

Maybe it's a hardware constraint rather than an 'issue'. I don't know for certain but maybe the Pro calibration is more CPU intensive (more maths to crunch) and it just takes the receiver longer to perform it. Denon would claim there's no issue at their end, and Audyssey would do the same. The Marantz firmware is going to be based on a branch of the Denon firmware codebase, so if Denon deny there's an issue, I'd assume Marantz would do the same.

How bad is the pausing? Can you just go away and have a cup of tea? smile.gif
post #448 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin View Post

Maybe it's a hardware constraint rather than an 'issue'. I don't know for certain but maybe the Pro calibration is more CPU intensive (more maths to crunch) and it just takes the receiver longer to perform it. Denon would claim there's no issue at their end, and Audyssey would do the same. The Marantz firmware is going to be based on a branch of the Denon firmware codebase, so if Denon deny there's an issue, I'd assume Marantz would do the same.
How bad is the pausing? Can you just go away and have a cup of tea? smile.gif

Well the point of Pro is to use the computational power of the computer instead of the pre-pro/receiver.

I think users in the 4520 forum are noting something close to twice as long per position, so for a 12 or 16 position analysis of an 11.2 setup, it's not inconsequential. But I would have to go back and check exactly what they are seeing.
post #449 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well the point of Pro is to use the computational power of the computer instead of the pre-pro/receiver.
I think users in the 4520 forum are noting something close to twice as long per position, so for a 12 or 16 position analysis of an 11.2 setup, it's not inconsequential. But I would have to go back and check exactly what they are seeing.

A ha, I have completely the wrong end of the stick then smile.gif. I'll chew through the Pro section of the Audyssey FAQ and try and educate myself. If it's run on a PC or Mac that's going to introduce lots more elements to the equation.

Weird... There's only 10 pro installers listed in the whole of Japan, and one of them is walking distance from my house! biggrin.gif
Edited by Kaorin - 11/25/12 at 6:45pm
post #450 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

First look at the AV8801

In reading this review I was reminded that the AV 8003 from a few years back had THX. Are Denon and Marantz going away from THX, it used to be that all their high-end AVR's, pre-pro's, Amps, and even disc players were THX certified, but it looks like they are skipping over that. Is anyone disappointed that they don't have THX processing, or is that a moot point now that everyone is going to using processing modes such as Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo X, and Dolby Pro Logix IIZ? Does THX even have surround sound processing for more than 7 channels?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread