or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 177

post #5281 of 11301
Thank you for the reply, guys! I'll keep my amp! And I don't need the extra speakers, as my room is not big enough.
post #5282 of 11301


Speaking of looks I think the 8801 goes great with the A51 in Black.
smile.gif
post #5283 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post



Speaking of looks I think the 8801 goes great with the A51 in Black.
smile.gif



Very nice, everything looks good smile.gif
post #5284 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Very nice, everything looks good smile.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

The empty slot is for the new Sony 4K server...
post #5285 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks. smile.gif

The empty slot is for the new Sony 4K server...



Your welcome. Did you get the Sony display and server package?
post #5286 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Your welcome. Did you get the Sony display and server package?

Actually: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/7/4194290/sony-fmp-x1-4k-media-player#

smile.gif
post #5287 of 11301
Quote:



Very nice. I've been in the middle of some heated 4K discussions. People have lots of opinions (as usual). I haven't seen it yet but I had an AVS news breaker tell me if I can see the difference between an earlier iPad and one with retina display that I'll see the difference between 1080p and 4K and I believe him as he's in the business. You'll have to let me know what you think.
post #5288 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Very nice. I've been in the middle of some heated 4K discussions. People have lots of opinions (as usual). I haven't seen it yet but I had an AVS news breaker tell me if I can see the difference between an earlier iPad and one with retina display that I'll see the difference between 1080p and 4K and I believe him as he's in the business. You'll have to let me know what you think.

Front row with the Sony 1000ES the difference is noticeable. That to us is worth it alone. Just can't wait to see native 4K finally. And it is cool the 8801 passes it. smile.gif
post #5289 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Front row with the Sony 1000ES the difference is noticeable. That to us is worth it alone. Just can't wait to see native 4K finally. And it is cool the 8801 passes it. smile.gif



That's what I've been hearing, and at least it's within reach now price wise. I'll wait a little while longer to see exactly where it goes, but yeah having the 8801 pass it is a big plus.
Edited by comfynumb - 4/28/13 at 12:13pm
post #5290 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post



Speaking of looks I think the 8801 goes great with the A51 in Black.
smile.gif
yes, "Black Is Beautiful!" smile.gif
post #5291 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfusfabrini View Post

Greetings to all of you!
I currently own a Marantz AV7005 with an Anthem MCA50. I'm considering the possibility of selling the AV7005 in order to buy the AV8801 (and I'll certainly do it!). Do you think it's worthy selling the Anthem MCA50 as well, and get the Marantz amp, the MM8077?
I have 5 speakers, Monitor Audio GS60 as front, GSLCR in the center and GSFX as surrounds.
Thanks in advance!!!! smile.gif
Regards,
Dreyfus

Hi Dreyfus!
I would say the Marantz MM8077 amp is clearly inferior to the Anthem MCA50 (225w 5) that you already own.
Also, that Marantz is rated at 150w - but with only 2 channels driven, whereas your Anthem is rated with ALL channels driven.
If you're looking for an upgrade you could do what I did and lay in the Emotiva XPR-5 monster (400w x5, all channels driven).
The Marantz AV8801 and Emotiva XPR-5 play very well together!
post #5292 of 11301
I have been reading this thread from page 1 all the way up to page 120 in the last week or so, it shows how much interest I have in this unit, but I currently have the Oppo 105 blu ray player connected directly to my Bel Canto amp and based on what I've read so far, it is becoming difficult for me to justify the money after reading some of the comparisons made in 2 channel music mode, especially when compared to the Oppo used direct with an amp, maybe I'm wrong, but based on some reviews from fellow memebers, there's seems to be a little bit of quality loss when using the Marantz's analog inputs for music?, how much so, I don't know

My movie/music ratio is about 50/50 and I would love to have the unit for its movie capabilities, but that means giving up on the nice sounding Oppo directly into my Bel Canto into the Gallo 3.1 reference speakers.

This hobby is so difficult sometimes and I really like what the unit offers, but going backwards in 2 channel music listening is really stopping me right now from purchasing this unit.
post #5293 of 11301
It would be the resting to see if oppo audio out to Marantz and then out would maintain the quality you need.
post #5294 of 11301
There was a review from a fellow member that mention that the Oppo direct was a 10 audio wise and listening to the Oppo through the Marantz analog inputs was a 7 to 8.
post #5295 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I have been reading this thread from page 1 all the way up to page 120 in the last week or so, it shows how much interest I have in this unit, but I currently have the Oppo 105 blu ray player connected directly to my Bel Canto amp and based on what I've read so far, it is becoming difficult for me to justify the money after reading some of the comparisons made in 2 channel music mode, especially when compared to the Oppo used direct with an amp, maybe I'm wrong, but based on some reviews from fellow memebers, there's seems to be a little bit of quality loss when using the Marantz's analog inputs for music?, how much so, I don't know

My movie/music ratio is about 50/50 and I would love to have the unit for its movie capabilities, but that means giving up on the nice sounding Oppo directly into my Bel Canto into the Gallo 3.1 reference speakers.

This hobby is so difficult sometimes and I really like what the unit offers, but going backwards in 2 channel music listening is really stopping me right now from purchasing this unit.

Go back and find my post on just how good the analog inputs are on the 8801 wink.gif I compared it to the 105 direct to my Halo A21, I can tell you this for sure, its almost too close to call . its one heck of a preamp cool.gif
post #5296 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Go back and find my post on just how good the analog inputs are on the 8801 wink.gif I compared it to the 105 direct to my Halo A21, I can tell you this for sure, its almost too close to call . its one heck of a preamp cool.gif

Audiofan1, I read something alone the lines that the XLR were not favored when compared to the rca inputs, have you found any difference there? Also, I was worried about something I read about the XLR inputs being designed for the European market? Haven't heard a word about the phono input either.
post #5297 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Hi Dreyfus!
I would say the Marantz MM8077 amp is clearly inferior to the Anthem MCA50 (225w 5) that you already own.
Also, that Marantz is rated at 150w - but with only 2 channels driven, whereas your Anthem is rated with ALL channels driven.
If you're looking for an upgrade you could do what I did and lay in the Emotiva XPR-5 monster (400w x5, all channels driven).
The Marantz AV8801 and Emotiva XPR-5 play very well together!

The MCA50 is superior but it is an incorrect assumption to say it is rated for all channel driven. It's transformers are way too small to output 225WX5. Pretty close though as Anthem rate them for 180WX5 into 8 ohms, much more into 4 ohms but that wouldn't be a "continuous" rating.

S&V bench tests:

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
1 channel driven: 266/414 watts (24.3/26.2 dBW)
5 channels driven (8 ohms): 182 watts (22.6 dBW)
Distortion at 1 watt (THD+N, 1 kHz)
8/4 ohms: 0.02/0.03%
Noise level (A-wtd): -75.3 dB
Excess noise (with sine tone)
16-bit (EN16): 0.4 dB
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0.2, -0 dB

Definitely a much better amp than the MM8077.
Edited by avman09 - 4/28/13 at 6:47pm
post #5298 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfusfabrini View Post

Greetings to all of you!

I currently own a Marantz AV7005 with an Anthem MCA50. I'm considering the possibility of selling the AV7005 in order to buy the AV8801 (and I'll certainly do it!). Do you think it's worthy selling the Anthem MCA50 as well, and get the Marantz amp, the MM8077?

I have 5 speakers, Monitor Audio GS60 as front, GSLCR in the center and GSFX as surrounds.

Thanks in advance!!!! smile.gif

Regards,

Dreyfus

I had the 8807 and wasn't blown away by it, though i'm not sure of the Anthem specs offhand.
post #5299 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

Audiofan1, I read something alone the lines that the XLR were not favored when compared to the rca inputs, have you found any difference there? Also, I was worried about something I read about the XLR inputs being designed for the European market? Haven't heard a word about the phono input either.

I use XLR from the 105 to the 8801 assigned to the "CD" input in Pure Direct mode for 2/ch sacd, usb and redbook and yes there is indeed better instrument separation and imaging, coupled with better defined bass and more realized palatable midrange via the balanced route ( like the 105 direct to the amp in SQ), as far as the not favored part over the rca , Please do judge this one for yourself as its the only way you will know for yourself and not just hear say! wink.gif
post #5300 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I had the 8807 and wasn't blown away by it, though i'm not sure of the Anthem specs offhand.

Thrang ! your selling the 8801? what do you have in mind for an replacement!
post #5301 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Thrang ! your selling the 8801? what do you have in mind for an replacement!

Had a chance to demo the McIntosh MX-151 in my home for a week, and was unexpectedly very impressed, especially with Room Perfect. The 8801 is superb, and has benefits over the 151 in certain areas...but they are different animals.
post #5302 of 11301
Hi, I have an Onkyo PR-SC5508. The AV8801 is on my short list for an SSP upgrade.

I'm mostly interested in sound quality differences, but also, how solid is the HDMI switching on the Marantz? Does audio and video lock in quickly when changing inputs? How about when switching video outputs like shutting off a TV monitor and turning on a projector?

IMHO, my Onkyo 5508 is horrible with HDMI switching. Most times now I have to power cycle it in order for the HDMI (video) to lock into a new input or video output...

And lastly, how is the overall ease of use compared to the Onkyo 5508 / Integra 80.2 series of processors?
post #5303 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

compared to a brand of XLR interconnects use previously on the AV8801?

I was comparing the sound difference between AR RCA cables, and 2 different setup (original RCA and the new XLR) modes.
post #5304 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

I never did this....specified xlr in the setup menu. It just worked. Does going through the setup menu do anything? I also heard the relay clicks....

Originally I just swapped the RCA cables with XLR and got sound. I just played with the setup and head the relay which tell me that AV8801 is using a new signal path which tames the brightness quiet a bit.
post #5305 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post



Speaking of looks I think the 8801 goes great with the A51 in Black.
smile.gif



Very nice, everything looks good smile.gif

Two thumbs up!
post #5306 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Hi, I have an Onkyo PR-SC5508. The AV8801 is on my short list for an SSP upgrade.

I'm mostly interested in sound quality differences, but also, how solid is the HDMI switching on the Marantz? Does audio and video lock in quickly when changing inputs? How about when switching video outputs like shutting off a TV monitor and turning on a projector?

IMHO, my Onkyo 5508 is horrible with HDMI switching. Most times now I have to power cycle it in order for the HDMI (video) to lock into a new input or video output...

And lastly, how is the overall ease of use compared to the Onkyo 5508 / Integra 80.2 series of processors?

Greetings,

DMark1, I moved from the 5508 to the Marantz. I never had problematic HDMI switching with the Onkyo although periodically it would have a bit of trouble with my Scientific Atlanta DVR/STB. I haven't had any problems with locking of audio/video signals when switching inputs or displays (Front projector/LCD monitor). Ergonomics and ease of use are fine but different than the Onkyo/Integra which quite honestly I found more straight forward.

As for sound quality there is a difference both with music and movies although they aren't vast. So I guess to answer the question you are really asking is yes, I feel that the Marantz is a worthy upgrade from what you have now.

Regards,
post #5307 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

DMark1, I moved from the 5508 to the Marantz. I never had problematic HDMI switching with the Onkyo although periodically it would have a bit of trouble with my Scientific Atlanta DVR/STB. I haven't had any problems with locking of audio/video signals when switching inputs or displays (Front projector/LCD monitor). Ergonomics and ease of use are fine but different than the Onkyo/Integra which quite honestly I found more straight forward.

As for sound quality there is a difference both with music and movies although they aren't vast. So I guess to answer the question you are really asking is yes, I feel that the Marantz is a worthy upgrade from what you have now.

Regards,

Ralph, Thank you for your comments, I will have to look into a possible upgrade soon. I have a feeling the HDMI board in the 5508 is starting to fail.

BTW, I love reading your Blu-ray reviews on the forum, keep up the great work!
post #5308 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Hi, I have an Onkyo PR-SC5508. The AV8801 is on my short list for an SSP upgrade.

I'm mostly interested in sound quality differences, but also, how solid is the HDMI switching on the Marantz? Does audio and video lock in quickly when changing inputs? How about when switching video outputs like shutting off a TV monitor and turning on a projector?

IMHO, my Onkyo 5508 is horrible with HDMI switching. Most times now I have to power cycle it in order for the HDMI (video) to lock into a new input or video output...

And lastly, how is the overall ease of use compared to the Onkyo 5508 / Integra 80.2 series of processors?

Hi DMark1,
My experiance with the AV8801's HDMI switching has been good - its never taken more than about 2 seconds to lock onto any input source switch.
(But oddly, my old Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR was twice as fast! - Go figure).
Bottom line is though that its a relatively fast, and more importantly - it establishes a solid HDMI connection in every instance.
post #5309 of 11301
Audyssey questions. I only ran it one time in my life and it was on the 8801. I believe it could not adjust the bass properly because of my poor room and just sent it all to my sub. It's very open and the front right speaker is not the same distance from the side wall as the left main. It is also placed near a hallway so there isn't much of a wall behind it. This can't be helped for now, so instead of crossing my mains in the 60-80Hz range like my other speakers it crossed them at 250Hz. They are Revel F52's so they are a pretty capable speaker. Has anyone else ran into this? Also it had my surround levels at -5 db, I like my music loud on occasions and they have equal power going to them as my fronts and center. So if I leave them at -5 db the circuit protection in them will go off or I'll bottom the woofers out. Does anyone else turn their surround levels down after Audyssey? I didn't really care for Audyssey after I ran it but now I do and really like it's equalizing abilities. Well I do after I readjusted the crossover setting for my fronts and the surround levels.
Edited by comfynumb - 4/29/13 at 11:28am
post #5310 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

I was comparing the sound difference between AR RCA cables, and 2 different setup (original RCA and the new XLR) modes.

I have also tried 3 different amps with the 8801 via XLR and RCA and XLR was always brighter.
I find that less objectionable was with the Parasound than with other amps but I am currently using RCA.

I will wait a while and try again when I have more time.

- Rich
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread