or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 190

post #5671 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Simple go to manual speaker setup, and go to levels and bump up your center! and no it won't affect Auydyssey and yes the 8801 will remember. smile.gif



Yes it will, it remembers I like my center at 0 for movies and -4 for music smile.gif
post #5672 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Yes it will, it remembers I like my center at 0 for movies and -4 for music smile.gif

You just gotta love the 8801, not bad for 6 months and going strong its Pro vs its almost negligible cons are very impressive! my unit stays on (24/7) and runs cool and responds as it should for such a complex piece of hardware! Not to forget its gorgeous sound and snazzy looks biggrin.gif
post #5673 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

You just gotta love the 8801, not bad for 6 months and going strong its Pro vs its almost negligible cons are very impressive! my unit stays on (24/7) and runs cool and responds as it should for such a complex piece of hardware! Not to forget its gorgeous sound and snazzy looks biggrin.gif



Marantz ought to give you 50% off on the next model, your the best spokesman they have biggrin.gif
I agree and the only thing it doesn't do well is correct my girlfriend when she's wrong biggrin.gif
All kidding aside I stand (or sit) in amazement almost on a daily basis and I'm turning into a blu ray disc junkie. What it does with DTS master audio drops my jaw. We were watching a movie the other day and a glass window shattered, I could hear every little piece of glass break and float in the air around me.
post #5674 of 11317
It's good to know that the Marantz deliver, it might be my new Pre/ pro when the SSP-800 goes bust, by then hopefully Marantz will have ATMOS and DTS MDA
post #5675 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It's good to know that the Marantz deliver, it might be my new Pre/ pro when the SSP-800 goes bust, by then hopefully Marantz will have ATMOS and DTS MDA



The Classe is a beautiful pre/pro and you sure aren't hurting in the processing department smile.gif
post #5676 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Marantz ought to give you 50% off on the next model, your the best spokesman they have biggrin.gif
I agree and the only thing it doesn't do well is correct my girlfriend when she's wrong biggrin.gif
All kidding aside I stand (or sit) in amazement almost on a daily basis and I'm turning into a blu ray disc junkie. What it does with DTS master audio drops my jaw. We were watching a movie the other day and a glass window shattered, I could hear every little piece of glass break and float in the air around me.

I'm a sucker for reliability and they deserve praise for their work, and you may need to try the Pro Kit on the girlfriend, if that doesn't work ( which I'm sure it won't biggrin.gif) you'll have to resort to an old Jedi mind trick its a very very simple saying and easy to learn, its " yes baby you're right" and continue with life as planned smile.gif
And a big yes on its prowess for movies ( and music for that matter) and the litmus test being more watching, purchasing and listening! proof in the pudding wink.gif
post #5677 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I had actually listening to two movies with it on and not knowing it was on. I couldn't figure out why the heck everything sounded so "Off" to me, and was super frustrated, but once I found that it was on, I changed it back to off and all was good once again. I personally don't like it one bit for movies, but I can see its place for cbl/sat

Just for kicks, I turned the 'Dialog Enhancer' on to "Low" last night - but noticed ZERO difference with the CBL/Sat input from my Comcast HDDVR.
But I haven't tried it with Blu-rays yet...
post #5678 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm a sucker for reliability and they deserve praise for their work, and you may need to try the Pro Kit on the girlfriend, if that doesn't work ( which I'm sure it won't biggrin.gif) you'll have to resort to an old Jedi mind trick its a very very simple saying and easy to learn, its " yes baby you're right" and continue with life as planned smile.gif
And a big yes on its prowess for movies ( and music for that matter) and the litmus test being more watching, purchasing and listening! proof in the pudding wink.gif



Honestly she is one of the good ones smile.gif
The search for the perfect media continues biggrin.gif
How much is the pro kit?
Edited by comfynumb - 5/20/13 at 4:18pm
post #5679 of 11317
If I hook my CBL box direct to the 8801 HDMI I have a issue with artifacts on HD but if I go direct to TV and use optical to 8801 its fine Anyone with this problem ?
post #5680 of 11317
Thanks audiofan1. I will follow your instructions and increase my center channel volume. I'll probably return my Dialogue Enhancer back to off. By the way, what exactly does the "dialogue enhancer" do? I mean how does it "enhance" the dialogue?
post #5681 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpi View Post

Thanks audiofan1. I will follow your instructions and increase my center channel volume. I'll probably return my Dialogue Enhancer back to off. By the way, what exactly does the "dialogue enhancer" do? I mean how does it "enhance" the dialogue?
It may or may not conture certain frequencies that promote the human voice , that in conjunction with a boost in level may be it, but don't hold me too it biggrin.gif
post #5682 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Honestly she is one of the good ones smile.gif
The search for the perfect media continues biggrin.gif
How much is the pro kit?

Not sure on the Pro kits price as it and measurements will be my undoing eek.gif but I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner or later!
post #5683 of 11317
I have the 8003 and am looking to upgrade to the 8801 as I'm picking up a 4k 65" Sony. Can the 8801 be configured to passthrough 4k and 3d on every HDMI input?
post #5684 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

You just gotta love the 8801, not bad for 6 months and going strong its Pro vs its almost negligible cons are very impressive! my unit stays on (24/7) and runs cool and responds as it should for such a complex piece of hardware! Not to forget its gorgeous sound and snazzy looks biggrin.gif

SIR !!

You know my passion for the 8801 has subsided. Or at least i thought it had !!
post #5685 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

What kind of xlr cable do you guys used beside monoprice?


I use (3) Audioquest Colorado for L-C-R and (2) Audioquest King Cobra's for Surrounds
post #5686 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

What kind of xlr cable do you guys used beside monoprice?

I use the ones from Blue Jeans Cable, and find them to be excellent in every respect.
Nice snug and secure fit at both ends, dead quiet (no noise), and flexible enough for easy routing, and a great price.
I'm using five of these:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm
post #5687 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post

I have the 8003 and am looking to upgrade to the 8801 as I'm picking up a 4k 65" Sony. Can the 8801 be configured to passthrough 4k and 3d on every HDMI input?

Yes, every input can be set as a straight 'pass-through' (which is its default setting I believe), or have its audio, and/or video signal modified to suit your needs.
post #5688 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

The Classe is a beautiful pre/pro and you sure aren't hurting in the processing department smile.gif

Agreed 100%, it just would be nice to have the choice to have automated EQ, audyssey, DTS NeoX, DD ProL IIx, Audyssey DSX 2, Multi EQ XT32......
post #5689 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

What kind of xlr cable do you guys used beside monoprice?

Morrow Audio MA4 and MA3 XLR's (silver coated thin solid core copper) wink.gif
post #5690 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

The Anthem D2 had a retail price nearly double the cost of the AV8801 (and that was over 6 years ago when I got it). Its follow-on, the D2V, is significantly more (nearly $10k, I believe). I was interested in the D2V, but the price is too high. Unlike the old audio-only days, technology changes fast enough that paying this much for a processor will make it very hard to upgrade/keep up often. The old Denon AVP-A1HDCI would have been another great processor to have due to their upgradability (if you bought it years ago), but it seems that it's at the end of its lifecycle, and I get the impression that Marantz is being positioned on the higher end than Denon.

I'm generalizing here (so there's always exceptions), but IMO the very high end processors give the hope of better sound, particularly when it comes to critical music listening. Whether the improved sound is worth the significantly higher cost is based on the eye (or ears) of the beholder. Unlike many years ago, I no longer just sit down in front of my system just to listen to music, and try to hear every subtle difference that a change to my system brings. My system is 100% for watching movies, so any subtle improvements on audio that result in multiple times the cost of a less esoteric processor is not very noticeable or significant enough a factor compared to other considerations. One thing about the "less esoteric" brands like Marantz and Denon is that they have an advantage in volume. I believe that their expertise and product experience ranging from low to high end components results in better "vetting" of problems such as firmware bugs, resulting in higher reliability, particularly with HDMI handshaking, video syncing, etc. Plus, the video processing of the really high end esoteric components aren't any better (nor necessarily advertised to be better) than more common components. Finally, the really high end processors are usually a few features behind must cheaper components (e.g. they don't provide TCP connectivity, user interface not as nice, etc.; I don't care about Internet apps like Netflix, though, since you can usually do better by getting cheap media servers like Apple TV).

I also looked into the Classe SSP, but again, very expensive. Supposedly great sound, thought. But, no video processing (but IMO, that's the job of the display anyway). It also doesn't have automatic room correction.

Anyway, there's a large gap between the price of the AV8801 and higher end products like the Anthem D2v and Classe. Looked at a couple of McIntosh models too. The cheaper one didn't have features that I liked, while the more expensive one was, well, too expensive.

If I know I can comfortably keep the same processor for many many years, I may be tempted to spend more, but these days, I think it's better to spend less and upgrade more :-) (not that the AV8801 is cheap, but relative to the other components mentioned earlier....).

I can speak with experience on this subject as I had a d2v. The need to have features such as networking, 3d and 4k pass thru trumped my decision to unload my anthem processor. The sound of the anthem was never in question. I loved the sound it produced with great detail and immersion. I initially replaced it with the onkyo pr sc 5509 but I personally found the sound a bit "lacking". I found an open box for the marantz av8801 at 2300 so I scooped it up. I have to say I no longer miss my anthem!! This has all I want in sound and features and has that quality I was accustomed to with the anthem. Just another happy customer again.
post #5691 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

If I hook my CBL box direct to the 8801 HDMI I have a issue with artifacts on HD but if I go direct to TV and use optical to 8801 its fine Anyone with this problem ?

Cable boxes have a mind of there own and can generate pops and other strange anomalies that I for one feel better sending audio only over optical and still tremble at the thought of sending the video direct to the display!
I remember while waiting on delivery, my dealer felt compelled to tell me to do the same because of the cable box strangeness. Go figure!
post #5692 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

What kind of xlr cable do you guys used beside monoprice?



I bought mine off a cable maker that sells on eBay but they are exactly the same as the BJC cables, and I use other cables from them and think they work great. Canare wire and Neutrik connectors, and my thoughts are you don't need to spend anymore money than that but of course opinions will vary biggrin.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 5/21/13 at 4:34am
post #5693 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Cable boxes have a mind of there own and can generate pops and other strange anomalies that I for one feel better sending audio only over optical and still tremble at the thought of sending the video direct to the display!
I remember while waiting on delivery, my dealer felt compelled to tell me to do the same because of the cable box strangeness. Go figure!


No OSD that way
post #5694 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Agreed 100%, it just would be nice to have the choice to have automated EQ, audyssey, DTS NeoX, DD ProL IIx, Audyssey DSX 2, Multi EQ XT32......



I'm sold on Audyssey now, after a couple of tweaks I'm very impressed.
post #5695 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

What kind of xlr cable do you guys used beside monoprice?

ProAudioLA sells Mogami cables. My cable is 2549
post #5696 of 11317
I turned off the dialogue enhancer and boosted the center channel level by 1db. Now the dialogue is very intelligible even when the actors are whispering as they often do. I'm happy and I do love this 8801! Thanks all for the helpful info........biggrin.gif
post #5697 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Just for kicks, I turned the 'Dialog Enhancer' on to "Low" last night - but noticed ZERO difference with the CBL/Sat input from my Comcast HDDVR.
But I haven't tried it with Blu-rays yet...

Ha! - now I know why I noticed zero difference with 'Dialog Enhancer' turned on to 'Low' last night! Because for whatever reason, it DOESN'T STAY on.

I went back into the menu to look last night, and its showing 'Off' again.
So I set it back to 'Low', then checked again later and its showing 'Off' again...
Does anyone know why the AV8801 it won't hold onto this setting???
Is there some hidden 'save' function I'm not aware of?
It doesn't do this with any other settings...
post #5698 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post The Anthem D2 had a retail price nearly double the cost of the AV8801 (and that was over 6 years ago when I got it). Its follow-on, the D2V, is significantly more (nearly $10k, I believe). I was interested in the D2V, but the price is too high. Unlike the old audio-only days, technology changes fast enough that paying this much for a processor will make it very hard to upgrade/keep up often. The old Denon AVP-A1HDCI would have been another great processor to have due to their upgradability (if you bought it years ago), but it seems that it's at the end of its lifecycle, and I get the impression that Marantz is being positioned on the higher end than Denon.

.............My system is 100% for watching movies, so any subtle improvements on audio that result in multiple times the cost of a less esoteric processor is not very noticeable or significant enough a factor compared to other considerations. One thing about the "less esoteric" brands like Marantz and Denon is that they have an advantage in volume. I believe that their expertise and product experience ranging from low to high end components results in better "vetting" of problems such as firmware bugs, resulting in higher reliability, particularly with HDMI handshaking, video syncing, etc. ........
I also looked into the Classe SSP, but again, very expensive. Supposedly great sound, thought. But, no video processing (but IMO, that's the job of the display anyway). It also doesn't have automatic room correction.

Anyway, there's a large gap between the price of the AV8801 and higher end products like the Anthem D2v and Classe. Looked at a couple of McIntosh models too. The cheaper one didn't have features that I liked, while the more expensive one was, well, too expensive.

If I know I can comfortably keep the same processor for many many years, I may be tempted to spend more, but these days, I think it's better to spend less and upgrade more :-) (not that the AV8801 is cheap, but relative to the other components mentioned earlier....).

Yes, I agree with that high end are always behind in terms of feature unfortunately:(

 

That's why next time I might get a run of the mill Pre/Pro they are usually very well loaded. But my worries is the sound, the 800Diamonds are so transparent that I can hear a lot of details :)

 

Plus Marantz took a while before releasing XQ32, I wonder if it will be the same with ATMOS and MDA these are the reasons I will upgrade 

post #5699 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes, I agree with that high end are always behind in terms of feature unfortunately:(

That's why next time I might get a run of the mill Pre/Pro they are usually very well loaded. But my worries is the sound, the 800Diamonds are so transparent that I can hear a lot of details smile.gif

Plus Marantz took a while before releasing XQ32, I wonder if it will be the same with ATMOS and MDA these are the reasons I will upgrade 



That's the hardest thing is finding media in my rock genre that's worthy of my Revels and Marantz together. I've found I can expose most of my media as the weak link pretty easily. So looking into more SACD's and buying loads of BD's. Ooooh the blu rays sound amazing, I'm like a junkie smile.gif
post #5700 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

That's the hardest thing is finding media in my rock genre that's worthy of my Revels and Marantz together. I've found I can expose most of my media as the weak link pretty easily. So looking into more SACD's and buying loads of BD's. Ooooh the blu rays sound amazing, I'm like a junkie smile.gif

Try the Oppo BDP-105 XLR outs, they will deliever every bit of detail to the B&W's.
I have been running mine directly to the Parasound A51 and it is unbelievablly detailed.

The lastest ETA on a $2 transister if May 30'th, if it does not ship.
Marantz has thus far not stepped up to the bar to do the right thing.

- Rich
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread