or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 191

post #5701 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Try the Oppo BDP-105 XLR outs, they will deliever every bit of detail to the B&W's.
I have been running mine directly to the Parasound A51 and it is unbelievablly detailed.

The lastest ETA on a $2 transister if May 30'th, if it does not ship.
Marantz has thus far not stepped up to the bar to do the right thing.

- Rich



They should have sent you a new one. It kind of surprises me and would only be good business, knowing people would spread the word about good service.
post #5702 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

No OSD that way

Just to be clear I don't use hdmi from cable box to the 8801, But I do have the 8801 connected via hdmi for OSD wink.gif
post #5703 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Posti was looking at these mogami 2549. is it the same as bjc belden 1800f xlr?

Nope

 

mogami 2549: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quality_balanced/

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/XLR-to-XLR-Cables/TecNec/MSC1-5XXJ.xhtml

 

belden 1800f: www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1800f.pdf

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/Digital-Audio-Cables/Sescom/1800F-XMF-1.xhtml

 

These are very good too:  http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/XLR-to-XLR-Cables/TecNec/SC50XXJ-B.xhtml

post #5704 of 11301
Audioquest Diamondback or King Cobra would be a low cost solution and still a decent cable , you can find the on eBay for a decent price .
post #5705 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

i was looking at these mogami 2549. is it the same as bjc belden 1800f xlr?

The electrical characteristics are different between the 2 cables. I'm not a believer in cable differences. 2549 cable is used in the many recording studios. If it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me.
post #5706 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Audioquest Diamondback or King Cobra would be a low cost solution and still a decent cable , you can find the on eBay for a decent price .

These cables are very expensive. Have you compared their sound response to Belden or Mogami? If there's a difference in sound, it's probably due to the quad or higher order cable config which adds way too much capacitance and may potentially screw-up the sound.

My problem was with Marantz of not being able to deliver enough current in the bi-amp config (via XLR Y-Splitters) in to true differential amp. This config had delivered revealing response by bleaching out the extended harmonics in mid and bass regions. Once, I've switched to standard non-bi amp config, the music has returned which has just enough top end clarity, full and tuneful mids and tons of bass slam.
Edited by AlxG - 5/22/13 at 7:00am
post #5707 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

so which one would be your choice of xlr of the three?

Based on my gut feel, I would probably with Belden or Mogami based on their quality connector type and cable to pin mechanical binding process. Again it's my gut feel.
post #5708 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

These cables are very expensive. Have you compared their sound response to Belden or Mogami? If there's a difference in sound, it's probably due to the quad or higher order cable config which adds way too much capacitance and may potentially screw-up the sound.

My problem was with Marantz of not being able to deliver enough current in the bi-amp config (via XLR Y-Splitters) in to true differential amp. This config had delivered revealing response by bleaching out the extended harmonics in mid and bass regions. Once, I've switched to standard non-bi amp config, the music has returned which has just enough top end clarity, full and tuneful mids and tons of bass slam.

I use the King Cobra's for surround and Colorado for the Front Stage I have used BJC Belden Mogami along with a few other brands

As for HT they really make no difference but for music I can hear a difference
post #5709 of 11301
Ahhhh the great cable debate once again biggrin.gif
post #5710 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Ahhhh the great cable debate once again biggrin.gif
No debate here, if folks can actually hear the difference and improve the sound in the process...then it's the best way to enjoy this hobby. biggrin.gif
post #5711 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

No debate here, if folks can actually hear the difference and improve the sound in the process...then it's the best way to enjoy this hobby. biggrin.gif

+1
post #5712 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG View Post

No debate here, if folks can actually hear the difference and improve the sound in the process...then it's the best way to enjoy this hobby. biggrin.gif



Yes to each his own biggrin.gif
post #5713 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

That's the hardest thing is finding media in my rock genre that's worthy of my Revels and Marantz together. I've found I can expose most of my media as the weak link pretty easily. So looking into more SACD's and buying loads of BD's. Ooooh the blu rays sound amazing, I'm like a junkie smile.gif


Can you suggest some good BD's?
post #5714 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

Can you suggest some good BD's?



I like the action genre, probably because of how it sounds on my setup. Skyfall is right up there with some of the best audio and video I've ever experienced. Django was great, zero dark thirty, Prometheus although I goofed and bought in DVD instead of BD. The dark night rises was amazing and all the dark night movies. Terminator salvation, Lincoln for a serious movie, avengers, Ironman, lawless, Argo, the hobbit, Hatfield and McCoys was very good. The Godfather movies were pretty well done.
post #5715 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

Can you suggest some good BD's?

Did you mean concert BD's? Where in NC are you btw?
post #5716 of 11301
Monoprice for all my cable needs.
Buy it for the price and love them for the sound.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=xlr
post #5717 of 11301
My two JL f113s flank my monitors - can I configure the 8801 to use the subs as an extension of the L&R mains on music and then take their normal roles on HT?
post #5718 of 11301
do you have your mains set to "Large" right now or "small"?
post #5719 of 11301
Neither - I'm picking the 8801 up tomorrow. My mains are paradigm Signature S1s - I'm assuming I'll set them to small.
post #5720 of 11301
Well if Audyssey sets the mains to large after you run it, the subs won't function in stereo, direct, or pure direct mode unless you do one of two things:

1) Set the mains to small, thus enabling bass management and redirecting the low end to your fathoms
OR
2) Set the LFE setting to "LFE+Main" and then you can keep the mains large and still use the subs
Caveat to #2) Audyssey doesn't sweep the mains and subs together so often if your speakers are running full range AND you are using the subs, the responses overlap by quite a bit. The problem with this is they may cancel each other out and end up being WORSE than if you just set your speakers to small. You can attempt to mess around with the sub distances audyssey sets but if you have no way of measuring your results manually, it is basically a walk in the dark.

Bottom line, #2 MAY work perfectly but if it doesn't, you are best served to just set the mains to small and select around an 80hz or so crossover.
post #5721 of 11301
Will the 8801 still pass video and audio from a cable box to a monitor when the 8801 is powered down or in standby mode.
post #5722 of 11301
Well what can I say I have been testing the Marantz 8077 power amp for over a week now I can tell you that it sounds excellent in my system to me it sounds better than my Arcam p7 and primare A30.5 the marantz sounds more open I can hear more detail and the bass is quicker and tighter. So I will be keeping this one, now just to get the marantz preamp I hope I don't have to wait to long.
post #5723 of 11301
^
Glad to learn that you're having a gratifying experience with the Marantz MM8077 power amp. What are you currently pairing it with?
post #5724 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Postso which one would be your choice of xlr of the three?

Any one of them all used in recording studios I use Mogami and Canaree both reasonably priced and great quality 

post #5725 of 11301
I haven't tried the HD radio on the 8801, is there a special antenna I need for HD radio?
post #5726 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post

Well what can I say I have been testing the Marantz 8077 power amp for over a week now I can tell you that it sounds excellent in my system to me it sounds better than my Arcam p7 and primare A30.5 the marantz sounds more open I can hear more detail and the bass is quicker and tighter. So I will be keeping this one, now just to get the marantz preamp I hope I don't have to wait to long.

I'm selling my Theta Intrepid and going to the 8077 - it will give me a little more headroom. I'll be running mine with Paradigm Signature S1 Be L,R,SL,SR and Signature C1 Be Center (and my new 4K Sony 65" smile.gif )
post #5727 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I haven't tried the HD radio on the 8801, is there a special antenna I need for HD radio?

Nothing special. As you probably know, HD stands for "Hybrid Digital". Radio stations using it transmit in the standard AM and FM frequency ranges so standard radio antennas should work fine. If you're far away from a broadcasting station, a directional radio antenna might help a little.
post #5728 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Nothing special. As you probably know, HD stands for "Hybrid Digital". Radio stations using it transmit in the standard AM and FM frequency ranges so standard radio antennas should work fine. If you're far away from a broadcasting station, a directional radio antenna might help a little.



Thanks, I guess I'll be trying my old Terk antenna, what's one more thing to plug in smile.gif
post #5729 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1 View Post

Will the 8801 still pass video and audio from a cable box to a monitor when the 8801 is powered down or in standby mode.

Yes, as long as the cable box is connected with an HDMI cable and set "HDMI Pass Through" (p. 128 OM) to ON and the "Pass Through Source" to the source name you want to pass through while the unit is in Standby.
post #5730 of 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, as long as the cable box is connected with an HDMI cable and set "HDMI Pass Through" (p. 128 OM) to ON and the "Pass Through Source" to the source name you want to pass through while the unit is in Standby.

Thanks, I'm trying to minimize the wiring and that eliminates an extra connection. I should be good with 2 HDMI to my monitor one for the OPPO and one for the 8801 plus the power cord. The Oppo manual advises 1 HDMI to the 8801 for audio and 1 to the monitor for video.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread