or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 219

post #6541 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

To be honest I can't hear a difference between the two Rich. I guess their thinking is that the signal gets converted to LPCM regardless so they want the Oppo to do it. Clocking is a term I've heard before but I'm not sure what it is. The only thing online I could find describes it as a timing issue.

I use bitstream for movies and multi/ch sacd from my 105 as I find the sound more dynamic and less rolled off in the highs ;)as for stereo its analogs outs from the 105 (xlr) especially with the 2/ch sacd smile.gif
post #6542 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I use bitstream for movies and multi/ch sacd from my 105 as I find the sound more dynamic and less rolled off in the highs ;)as for stereo its analogs outs from the 105 (xlr) especially with the 2/ch sacd smile.gif



I've been very happy with bit-streaming for years and I just happened to bring it up on another thread. Honestly I hear no difference whatsoever. Too many concerts close to the front is a good reason why I don't biggrin.gif
post #6543 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post


I've been very happy with bit-streaming for years and I just happened to bring it up on another thread. Honestly I hear no difference whatsoever. Too many concerts close to the front is a good reason why I don't biggrin.gif

I've probably been to three concerts total in all my years, but did rip the back seat out my car in my teenage years and put two 15 inch fosgate punch subs in eek.gif but even then I was still only interested in articulation and the beauty of a 5 inch mid bass driver changed my priorities and I moved shortly thereafter to home audio heavily, but I had only a patchwork system at the time ( that I loved very much).Today I mostly enjoy low level listening, now did low exposure to loud music help or hurt ? are the two related who knows ! At this point I'm just glad music still sounds good and I still have abit of a discerning ear biggrin.gif
post #6544 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I've probably been to three concerts total in all my years, but did rip the back seat out my car in my teenage years and put two 15 inch fosgate punch subs in eek.gif but even then I was still only interested in articulation and the beauty of a 5 inch mid bass driver changed my priorities and I moved shortly thereafter to home audio heavily, but I had only a patchwork system at the time ( that I loved very much).Today I mostly enjoy low level listening, now did low exposure to loud music help or hurt ? are the two related who knows ! At this point I'm just glad music still sounds good and I still have abit of a discerning ear biggrin.gif



Ah the truth comes out now and I'm sure you were not listening to low level music at the time, not with two 15's in the backseat biggrin.gif but I hear ya, I've toned things down myself smile.gif
post #6545 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Sub outs on most receivers/pre's tend to be more potent since the LFE channel requires an added 10dB over the standard channels. This is usually the case and has been tested on higher end integra's and Denons. You could still move on testing using that method, but I would highly suggest the Digital MultiMeter approach first.

My speakers are capable down to around 30hz and I have already tried it prior to your warning, I just ran the speaker level tone through the marantz and have found the SW1 XLR output is outputting a signal

So in summary:

I have tried the left speaker cable into the sub no good
I have tried the SW1 output and cable into the left speaker and that outputs
I have tried the SW cable into the left speaker output and plugged it into left speaker and that works

So I know I can run the sw with the RCA & converter so I know the sub amp works in this configuration

So I know the connection is correct. I know the SW1 XLR is outputting a signal using my left speaker.

I know the SW1 XLR cable works with the left speaker

Very strange, any other ideas?
post #6546 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

My speakers are capable down to around 30hz and I have already tried it prior to your warning, I just ran the speaker level tone through the marantz and have found the SW1 XLR output is outputting a signal

So in summary:

I have tried the left speaker cable into the sub no good
I have tried the SW1 output and cable into the left speaker and that outputs
I have tried the SW cable into the left speaker output and plugged it into left speaker and that works

So I know I can run the sw with the RCA & converter so I know the sub amp works in this configuration

So I know the connection is correct. I know the SW1 XLR is outputting a signal using my left speaker.

I know the SW1 XLR cable works with the left speaker

Very strange, any other ideas?



At this point you have nothing to lose contacting Marantz support or you might be better off contacting Submersive support. They could probably tell you the best about any pin placement concerns you have or other reasons it isn't working. Best of luck, I know when something isn't working it isn't a good feeling.
post #6547 of 11320
I have not changed the AV8801 settings since updating the firmware and moving to the Parasound Halo A51 amplifier.
I do not use room correction because it is not needed. so use the BDP-105 via the 7.1 analog inputs for movies and music.

Form some reason, when using the analog inputs, the video settings affects the sound.

I do not know if it was the amp or the software update. but these settings sound best to me
  • All MI settings off,
  • Video Mode = Auto,
  • Video Conversion:

Changing the video mode increases the detail and the instrument decay is completely resolved.
Everything sounds wonderful.



- Rich
post #6548 of 11320
Got home and looked at the cables that I had made and the extension side by side looks like my electrician soldered the earth to an outer pin then wired the two wires to pin 1&2 rather than pin 2&3. I am betting money this is the problem the thing that is so annoying that he has made up 14 cables which means 28 ends to correct

Once I get it changed I'll let you guys know for sure, but is looking like a wetware error!
post #6549 of 11320
Hey guys. I have a question regarding XLR and polarity. Since I wanted to try DTS Neo:X i hooked up som extra Amps to get 11 channels. I Use a Musical Fidelity M6i500 to run the front speakers (RCA-conneced), an eartquake cinenova 5ch to run center, surround and surrpund back (XLR), a Rotel RB1572 for the wide speakers (RCA) and finally a Parasound Model 2250 to run the heights (rca). When I run Audyssey all five channels from the Eartquake got a remark for out of phase. could tihis be a pin polarity issue?
post #6550 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Got home and looked at the cables that I had made and the extension side by side looks like my electrician soldered the earth to an outer pin then wired the two wires to pin 1&2 rather than pin 2&3. 

Home-made cables are always suspect.

post #6551 of 11320
I had questions with concerns to polarity about 6 1/2 months ago when my 8801 was being shipped. I read about European and American pin placement on the Marantz and my Sunfire amp and it had me worried. Just like I was told on this thread it turned out to be a non issue. If you turn the Marantz back to back with the gear your hooking up to via XLR the pins should line up. This may not be the case with your Submersive sub but I'd be surprised if they weren't a match already, and your other gear as well. I'm just throwing this out there but no one that I've seen on this thread has had polarity issues with the 8801 and standard XLR wires should work fine. I called cable makers and they were going to make me up special cables because I thought two pins were reversed. But that wasn't the case. Do yourself a favor and buy your cables from a good cable company like BJC or whoever. It's not rocket science but this is where the rubber meets the road (thanks audiofan1 biggrin.gif) Just sayin and YMMV.
Edited by comfynumb - 7/2/13 at 5:41am
post #6552 of 11320

This is not a polarity issue.  Regardless of US vs. European wiring of pins 2+3 which affect polarity, pin 1 is ground.  Grounding any other pin will have a significant effect on signal output and on system grounding.

post #6553 of 11320
^^ Your hearing it from the horses mouth.
Not that you look like a horse Kal biggrin.gif
post #6554 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Home-made cables are always suspect.
Yes disappointing, I was trying to minimise large holes in my double wall + GG, hopefully it will be sorted soon and I can get back to watching movies again
post #6555 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I had questions with concerns to polarity about 6 1/2 months ago when my 8801 was being shipped. I read about European and American pin placement on the Marantz and my Sunfire amp and it had me worried. Just like I was told on this thread it turned out to be a non issue. If you turn the Marantz back to back with the gear your hooking up to via XLR the pins should line up. This may not be the case with your Submersive sub but I'd be surprised if they weren't a match already, and your other gear as well. I'm just throwing this out there but no one that I've seen on this thread has had polarity issues with the 8801 and standard XLR wires should work fine. I called cable makers and they were going to make me up special cables because I thought two pins were reversed. But that wasn't the case. Do yourself a favor and buy your cables from a good cable company like BJC or whoever. It's not rocket science but this is where the rubber meets the road (thanks audiofan1 biggrin.gif) Just sayin and YMMV.

I remember reading all the available material and thinking that I would have to remake some cables. I went ahead and tried it without altering the cables and they worked fine..

Can't help but think that the literature was wrong.
post #6556 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I remember reading all the available material and thinking that I would have to remake some cables. I went ahead and tried it without altering the cables and they worked fine..

Can't help but think that the literature was wrong.



Same here smile.gif
post #6557 of 11320
I don't know where else to post this so here goes. Right now I have a 1.5 TB hard drive with a lot of my ripped discs and other music on it mated to my Oppo 93 via Esata. I'm just wondering if others are using the Marantz instead or possibly hooked up via USB to their router and the advantages or disadvantages as far as sound quality using it this way?
post #6558 of 11320
I also would like to know how this unit compares with an Anthem D2v.
post #6559 of 11320
Subjectively you'll get differing opinions. Objectively the D2V bests it. I haven't heard a processor as musical as the D2V so far but I haven't heard some of the new heavy hitters like the Classe and Bryston.
post #6560 of 11320
Thanks. I have the D2v. I was just curious smile.gif
post #6561 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Subjectively you'll get differing opinions. Objectively the D2V bests it. I haven't heard a processor as musical as the D2V so far but I haven't heard some of the new heavy hitters like the Classe and Bryston.

Musically the 8801 is hard to beat as a stand alone processor for all processing, A direct run against my 105 hooked directly to my Halo A21 gave me a good idea of the 8801's capabilities in this regard and includes 2/ch as well ( I found it a toe taper with nice pace and rhythm ). As far as the" objectively the D2V best it" comment would you care to fill in exactly how? While I didn't come from a D2V but an AVM 20 v2, and while its flexibility was second to none and sounded very good and even putting the D2V at the top of my upgrade list, objectively the 8801 came out on top wink.gif
post #6562 of 11320
I'm sure there will be some interesting things to read on this soon.
post #6563 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I'm sure there will be some interesting things to read on this soon.
Tease smile.gif

I know the Yamaha is coming with ESS DACs.
The return of the Preamp. This is great !

- Rich
post #6564 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Tease smile.gif

I know the Yamaha is coming with ESS DACs.
The return of the Preamp. This is great !

- Rich

ESS DACs does not ensure a great sounding preamp. wink.gif
post #6565 of 11320
The 8801 head to head with a $7,500 pre/pro? I ain't scart biggrin.gif just the talk of of the Marantz being in the mix with a D2V is pretty exciting to me smile.gif either way I won't be trading mine anytime soon wink.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 7/3/13 at 7:08am
post #6566 of 11320
Av8801 vs. anthem d2v..... i am interested in this comparison. the used cost of the D2V is coming down. since i have no use for 3D i do not need to spend the money on the newest anthem.

I can say that i really enjoy my anthem amp.

to be honest i found no noticeable improvement when going to the av8801 from my old receiver that i just used as a preamp. so no i wonder if i made a mistake and should have gone with the used anthem.

there have been mutual upgrades to my system, 95% HT, that i probably would not do again as they did not really do much, if anything, to improve. but there have been some upgrades that really made the wow factor. funny.... the improvements that really made a difference were some of the cheapest upgrades.

so someone who has compared the anthem and the marantz tell me....


audyssey vs. arc...... what was better and why?

picture quality......what was better and why? also is this only with up sampling? ie. dvd to 1080P? i just do not see that could be a difference if one is watching a blu ray and there is no converting to do. doesn't the signal just " pass through?"

Sacd... what one has the better music ability....

thanks,
Bill
post #6567 of 11320
Can't answer you on this Bill but there is an article at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity comparing ARC to Audyssey that caused some controversy in this thread when it uncovered the limitations of Audyssey with the 8801 for resolution. Might want to keep your eyes peeled on that site for further info later.
post #6568 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

ESS DACs does not ensure a great sounding preamp. wink.gif

Agree completey but it is a great start. I would love to see some more preamp options with the new high end ESS DACs. But a preamp is the culmination of LOTS of different parts that all play a role. And if certain parts are compromised it can throw a wrench in the whole thing.
post #6569 of 11320
I just noticed that Middle Atlantic now has the Face Plate available for the Marantz AV 8801.
The part # is RSH4A5R MARANTZ AV8801 and has an MSRP of & $69.00.
post #6570 of 11320
The concerns I had with high res and Audyssey and the 8801 were outweighed by the fact that XT32 does a great job. All the resolution in the world could not fix my acoustically poor room, but Audyssey helped me out a lot. I'm especially fond of the DynEQ, it does an amazing job at modest volumes where I listen to my music the most. Would I like to have full resolution on SACD's with Audyssey engaged? Without a doubt yes. But I would have never known if it wasn't brought up on this thread, SACD's shine on the 8801. From what I've read XT32 and some pre/pro's and or AVR's do support high res. I would like someone that has experience with them to comment. All in all I have very little to quibble about with the 8801.
Edited by comfynumb - 7/3/13 at 9:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread