or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 243

post #7261 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

My wife and I listened to stereo last night via JR river dlna to our oppo and on to the 8801. I used our ipad and jr remote select the tracks we heard. I had just finished an Audyssey Pro calibration.

My wife was very clear that the music was much improved over the previous listening session which was with our 80.2. Same room same speakers etc.

I am wondering if the "al32" that is discussed in this thread could be one of the differences in the sound; not just the DAC.

This "al32" could well be taking up some of the space in the box.

Love J River, J Remote and the 8801 together. smile.gif

Consider not using DLNA. With some hardware the music gets dumbed down. Try using J River directly and see if you can hear an improvement.
post #7262 of 11317
My computer is 50' from my listening room. JR River gives options. I have sent 96khz 24 bit music successfully (with Audyssey disabled in the 8801) and 48 kHz and 44 kHz with it on. Hard wired Ethernet . JR river has to be set for the higher rates.
post #7263 of 11317
Have been REALLY enjoying my 8801 since installing it a couple of months ago - but last night I tried to use the "Dialog Enhancer" feature. It seems it won't "stick" - If I set it on "Low", then go back in to verify - it shows "Off". Am I missing something or could another setting be interfering with this?
post #7264 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

My computer is 50' from my listening room. JR River gives options. I have sent 96khz 24 bit music successfully (with Audyssey disabled in the 8801) and 48 kHz and 44 kHz with it on. Hard wired Ethernet . JR river has to be set for the higher rates.



I'm going to look into this, it really sounds like it's worth it jm.
post #7265 of 11317
TL5

I don't think dialog enhancer is global. Had you switched inputs?
post #7266 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

TL5

I don't think dialog enhancer is global. Had you switched inputs?

No - didn't switch inputs, was on "Cable/Sat". I'm wondering if you have to use "Dynamic Volume" to activate the Dialog enhancer?
post #7267 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

My computer is 50' from my listening room. JR River gives options. I have sent 96khz 24 bit music successfully (with Audyssey disabled in the 8801) and 48 kHz and 44 kHz with it on. Hard wired Ethernet . JR river has to be set for the higher rates.

Ok I'm sold on the Jriver now, but it appears that there is no remote for the android that comes straight from Jriver. Anyone know of an android app that will allow me to access my library and control it remotely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

No - didn't switch inputs, was on "Cable/Sat". I'm wondering if you have to use "Dynamic Volume" to activate the Dialog enhancer?

No, it does not need to be on for dialog enhancer to work. Other have had issues with the same thing.
post #7268 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

No - didn't switch inputs, was on "Cable/Sat". I'm wondering if you have to use "Dynamic Volume" to activate the Dialog enhancer?

I tried dialog enhancer early on and didn't care for it. Seems that it took some of the depth out of voices.

Don't think you're missing anything but I understand that you'd like to try it.
post #7269 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

My computer is 50' from my listening room. JR River gives options. I have sent 96khz 24 bit music successfully (with Audyssey disabled in the 8801) and 48 kHz and 44 kHz with it on. Hard wired Ethernet . JR river has to be set for the higher rates.

Ok I'm sold on the Jriver now, but it appears that there is no remote for the android that comes straight from Jriver. Anyone know of an android app that will allow me to access my library and control it remotely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

No - didn't switch inputs, was on "Cable/Sat". I'm wondering if you have to use "Dynamic Volume" to activate the Dialog enhancer?

No, it does not need to be on for dialog enhancer to work. Other have had issues with the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

No - didn't switch inputs, was on "Cable/Sat". I'm wondering if you have to use "Dynamic Volume" to activate the Dialog enhancer?

I tried dialog enhancer early on and didn't care for it. Seems that it took some of the depth out of voices.

Don't think you're missing anything but I understand that you'd like to try it.

I recall there has been some earlier discussion on this thread regarding the dialogue enhancer feature; click here to check out the details. Hope this helps!
post #7270 of 11317
JR river has something called gizmo that might work. You should go on the JR river forum interact and ask the question. I think there are one or two android apps that might work for you as well. Mediasteersman is also listed on the JR river forum. I have no idea what works best. Gizmo might be your first look.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes


Joel
Edited by jmschnur - 7/31/13 at 10:48am
post #7271 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

Consider not using DLNA. With some hardware the music gets dumbed down. Try using J River directly and see if you can hear an improvement.

If you're talking about transcoding, it can surely be disabled without giving up on DLNA altogether.
post #7272 of 11317
Thanks! Gizmo looks to be the only one good there at this point, the bitremote the only other one the link said worked for android has been discontinued...
post #7273 of 11317
1) Anyone using the URC MX-900 with the 8801? Any problems with it?
2) How easy it it to navigate through the GUI while using the Networking capabilities like internet radio on this unit? Is it somewhat sluggish, like it is on my 5308CI:(?
post #7274 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

1) Anyone using the URC MX-900 with the 8801? Any problems with it?
2) How easy it it to navigate through the GUI while using the Networking capabilities like internet radio on this unit? Is it somewhat sluggish, like it is on my 5308CI:(?



As far as the Internet radio goes it's a little sluggish, but it works well. If you have istuff the Deremote app helps with that and at least your panel doesn't have to be on all the time. The app can be a little finicky but you'll learn how to work it. I use it almost exclusively.
Edited by comfynumb - 7/31/13 at 4:07pm
post #7275 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I tried dialog enhancer early on and didn't care for it. Seems that it took some of the depth out of voices.

Don't think you're missing anything but I understand that you'd like to try it.

I have the exact same experience - set Dialog Enhancer to "Low" (or any other setting for that matter) and come back and look the next day, or even a minute later and its back on "Off".
It refuses to hold the setting, and it doesn't make any difference what source you've selected.
Several others on this thread reported the very same problem earlier, I think this makes at least FIVE reporting this issue now...

I emailed Marantz, and they said they'd never heard of the problem, and were unaware of it.
Perhaps if enough people report it to them they'll issue a correction in a future firmware update?
post #7276 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

I have the exact same experience - set Dialog Enhancer to "Low" (or any other setting for that matter) and come back and look the next day, or even a minute later and its back on "Off".
It refuses to hold the setting, and it doesn't make any difference what source you've selected.
Several others on this thread reported the very same problem earlier, I think this makes at least FIVE reporting this issue now...

I emailed Marantz, and they said they'd never heard of the problem, and were unaware of it.
Perhaps if enough people report it to them they'll issue a correction in a future firmware update?

Kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue....thought I was going nuts last night!
post #7277 of 11317
Mine still works fine and when used and I have to remember its on and turn it off wink.gif
post #7278 of 11317
Mine as well. It is input dependent.
post #7279 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Mine as well. It is input dependent.

Yep!
post #7280 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post

2013-06-01 20.16.54.jpg

Got my acustic panels up yesterday... I am very excited!

Bill
As beautiful as your room is, the best part of this post is the Flyers pillow. 👍
post #7281 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Thanks for the insight, we seem to be experiencing the same labelling tricks in Australia also. Hyundai is a good example, and it's great to have companies challenging the incumbents, with the right product & price it keeps everyone on their toes.

Sorry it took a marantz owners thread to get you posting after 4.5 years
He shouldn't have to post nor play in any Reindeer games. Although I can't blame him for setting some of those haters straight . I guess one can only sit back so long reading all this nonsense . I currently don't own any Emoitvia products but I have and must say there one of the most bang for the products out there and would buy more in a heartbeat without any caution knowing there products are well made great performers with second to none CS.
post #7282 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

He shouldn't have to post nor play in any Reindeer games. Although I can't blame him for setting some of those haters straight . I guess one can only sit back so long reading all this nonsense . I currently don't own any Emoitvia products but I have and must say there one of the most bang for the products out there and would buy more in a heartbeat without any caution knowing there products are well made great performers with second to none CS.

That would be great news in the Emotiva thread smile.gif
post #7283 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

That would be great news in the Emotiva thread smile.gif

Agreed. Bring the reindeer games over there.
post #7284 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Agreed. Bring the reindeer games over there.

+1 lol agree
post #7285 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Agreed. Bring the reindeer games over there.
X 2 wink.gif
post #7286 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

That would be great news in the Emotiva thread smile.gif
Agreed the only problem Dans response was here were the reindeer games began smile.gif
I guess there's always copy and paste biggrin.gif
post #7287 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Agreed the only problem Dans response was here were the reindeer games began smile.gif
I guess there's always copy and paste biggrin.gif

How's your 8801 performing? wink.gif
post #7288 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

How's your 8801 performing? wink.gif

Congrats The Factor welcome to the club
post #7289 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Agreed the only problem Dans response was here were the reindeer games began smile.gif
I guess there's always copy and paste biggrin.gif

I doubt that seriously as the bashing is on many other threads , of which I myself take no part in. The real question is why is he monitoring the 8801 thread ? This is becoming more and more the new thing to do I guess and I find it a bit unsettling when I see a competitor chiming in on others to soil there reps! I remember a day at a brick and mortar store when someone made a comment about another shop down the street and the owner graciously spoke well of them, as of today I know a few online who maintain the same practice! In short its called "Tact" wink.gif
post #7290 of 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Congrats The Factor welcome to the club

With all his posting here I'm guessing he bought one. Congrats, Factor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread