or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 260

post #7771 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

Is it not possible to assign a video source while listening to CDs? I want to be able to watch DirecTv while listening to a CD via XLR. My DirecTv Genie can output HDMI & component simultaneously. I have both HDMI & component hooked up to the 8801. I tried assigning Component input 1 in the CD column in the Input Assign menu but there is no video. I was able to do this on my Denon 5308CI. Can I do this on the 8801 or am I doing something wrong?



Not sure about the video assign for CD. As an alternative why not run an HDMI or components from your sat box to your display.
post #7772 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Not sure about the video assign for CD. As an alternative why not run an HDMI or components from your sat box to your display.

I suppose I could do this but it would be a MAJOR PITA with my current setup. My AV rack is in a closet in a seperate room and I have 50' HDMI cable running to my display. I'd have to get an HDMI switcher and run another HDMI cable to the display.

I don't understand why CD is listed as an option in the Input Assign menu if you can't even assign a video source for it. confused.gif
post #7773 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

I suppose I could do this but it would be a MAJOR PITA with my current setup. My AV rack is in a closet in a seperate room and I have 50' HDMI cable running to my display. I'd have to get an HDMI switcher and run another HDMI cable to the display.

I don't understand why CD is listed as an option in the Input Assign menu if you can't even assign a video source for it. confused.gif

You kinda answered that for yourself, Its the CD input which doesn't require video and is the reason why I use it to assign the XLR input from my Oppo 105 for 2/ch with as minimal processing on the input as possible and that includes (LFE+Main in Pure Direct biggrin.gif.) and not to mention it sounds mighty fine as well wink.gif
Edited by audiofan1 - 8/19/13 at 11:02am
post #7774 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi all never had this issue before but for some reason I cannot get audyssey pro and Marantz to talk to each other anymore. I keep getting time out error or communication error something about turn off 2 way remote used. Anyone experienced this issue before?

Cheers

look around here: seems like a lot of folks are having this issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/4590#post_23596763

I think the trick is to disconnect all network and serial cables since they share a common port
post #7775 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

Is it not possible to assign a video source while listening to CDs? I want to be able to watch DirecTv while listening to a CD via XLR. My DirecTv Genie can output HDMI & component simultaneously. I have both HDMI & component hooked up to the 8801. I tried assigning Component input 1 in the CD column in the Input Assign menu but there is no video. I was able to do this on my Denon 5308CI. Can I do this on the 8801 or am I doing something wrong?

Component will work . HDMI not.

I have both coming from my fios box to the Marantz. The component is assignable.
post #7776 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

I suppose I could do this but it would be a MAJOR PITA with my current setup. My AV rack is in a closet in a seperate room and I have 50' HDMI cable running to my display. I'd have to get an HDMI switcher and run another HDMI cable to the display.

I don't understand why CD is listed as an option in the Input Assign menu if you can't even assign a video source for it. confused.gif



To be honest I've never heard of video
on CD. Maybe you use your CD player on DVD or blu ray and assign it that way?
Edited by comfynumb - 8/19/13 at 11:21am
post #7777 of 11290
I have the Sony CDP-M555ES .It has video out. I would like to use this feature if possible .Can someone tell if you can play a video source while listening to a Cd , all through the 8801?
post #7778 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

I have the Sony CDP-M555ES .It has video out. I would like to use this feature if possible .Can someone tell if you can play a video source while listening to a Cd , all through the 8801?



If you run the vid out from the player to your display. But I don't think it's possible through the 8801 CD input. Try another input with video.
Edited by comfynumb - 8/19/13 at 11:57am
post #7779 of 11290
grey9hound,

Have you considered using the 8801's DVD input instead of its CD input?
You'd have to reassociate the 8801's CD optical audio input with DVD, of course.
post #7780 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Component will work . HDMI not.

I have both coming from my fios box to the Marantz. The component is assignable.

Are you using XLR from the CD for your audio source or optical?
post #7781 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

A good reason is Qdeo which is via hdmi 1 on the Oppo ( if you want the best video , go straight to the display) and hdmi 2 is the only way to pass a native DSD signal to the 8801. Monoprice is having a sale on their hdmi cables get three in whatever length you need ( no less than 6ft best)of the Redmere's and run one from the 8801 to the display as well and you will have its OSD on a different input.


Is it possible to use a HDMI splitter to connect both the av8801 AND the oppo 105 to it and then HDMI splitter to the same TV (ARC ) HDMI input? The reason im asking is to skip to flip the tv inputs while watchin movie from the oppo (if i had connect the av8801 to another tv hdmi input ) if i want to enter the Marantz menu.

Thanks.

Regards Meffy
Edited by Meffy - 8/19/13 at 1:51pm
post #7782 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

If you run the vid out from the player to your display. But I don't think it's possible through the 8801 CD input. Try another input with video.
i switch vid input on my tv with component cables mad.gif
post #7783 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post

Is it possible to use a HDMI splitter to connect both the av8801 AND the oppo 105 to it and then HDMI splitter to the same TV (ARC ) HDMI input? The reason im asking is to skip to flip the tv inputs while watchin movie from the oppo (if i had connect the av8801 to another tv hdmi input ) if i want to enter the Marantz menu.

Thanks.

Regards Meffy

Hmm! I suppose, I don't see why it wouldn't work smile.gif
post #7784 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

To tell you the truth, I was just curious about why my Dialog Enhancer setting wouldn't "stick" - so I started playing around. Now that I see the function "works" my curiosity has been satisfied. I actually have little use for this feature, as dialog through my PSB's is spot on. if I get a chance I'll play around with it a little more tonight....as should you!

Hey TL5, I finally got around to playing with this function -
Like you discovered on stereo SD CBL/SAT sources, the Dialog Enhancer does indeed "stick" there. I can back out, and go back and its still as I set it ("Low" in this case).
Then I switch back to an HD channel outputting DD5.1, and go to look, and it says "Off" again there(!).
So I set it to "Low", back out of the menu go back in later, and as before its back on "Off".
So the 'Dialog Enhancer' (DE) won't hold any setting but "Off" when watching a channel outputting DD5.1, at least on my AV8801.

Then, just to check after all of that, I went back to a SD channel outputting just stereo, and there the DE is still showing "Low" as I'd set it before,...so I don't get it.
Why will it engage with stereo, but not with surround???
Anyone else care to experiment with this and report?

Not a huge deal, but its a disconcerting 'bug' just the same, and I know several others on this thread have experienced the same thing...
post #7785 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Hey TL5, I finally got around to playing with this function -
Like you discovered on stereo SD CBL/SAT sources, the Dialog Enhancer does indeed "stick" there. I can back out, and go back and its still as I set it ("Low" in this case).
Then I switch back to an HD channel outputting DD5.1, and go to look, and it says "Off" again there(!).
So I set it to "Low", back out of the menu go back in later, and as before its back on "Off".
So the 'Dialog Enhancer' (DE) won't hold any setting but "Off" when watching a channel outputting DD5.1, at least on my AV8801.

Then, just to check after all of that, I went back to a SD channel outputting just stereo, and there the DE is still showing "Low" as I'd set it before,...so I don't get it.
Why will it engage with stereo, but not with surround???
Anyone else care to experiment with this and report?

Not a huge deal, but its a disconcerting 'bug' just the same, and I know several others on this thread have experienced the same thing...

Thanks for confirming my findings. I agree, without the ability to use this for DD or DTS 5.1 tracks, the "Dialog Enhancer" feature is kind of worthless. I spoke with someone at Marantz earlier this month regarding my Dialog enhancer not holding it's setting, before I discovered it does work with stereo sources. He told me he would try it with the 2 units he had on hand & call me back later that afternoon. He did indeed call back & said it was working on his 2 units. I'll try & call this week with the additional info we now have.
post #7786 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post


Honestly? Yes I would for the Marantz, not so much for the Parasounds. The HDMI boards in AVRs/pre-pros get much too hot for my liking, regardless of the manufacturer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post


I have to agree, mines open on all sides and still gets to warm.

I dunno.  I have a completely open Salamander rack (shelves and rails only) and the 8801 remains just barely warm to the touch. 

post #7787 of 11290
Tks guys for the input on the fan... I will try to get some silent fans for mine too.

Are those regular PC cases fans? If yes, how do you power them?

Another question... does the air blow into the 8801 or out of it?
Edited by ezrangel - 8/19/13 at 5:05pm
post #7788 of 11290
Exhaust the air.
post #7789 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Temperature controlled with one of these: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093695.html

All told, I bought 4 fans and the controller for about $150 or so, but I'm only using three right now. I plan on adding the fourth to the right side of the unit to move additional cold air through the back of the unit, but I need to pull all the equipment out in order to cut a hole for air movement.

I'm using a pair of 'CoolerGuy's 'blower fans that sit directly atop, and toward the rear on my AV8801:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556094272.html
I have these triggered by a programmable CoolerGuys thermostat mounted in the amp cabinet below the AV8801, I have it come on at 87 degrees, and off at 80 degrees (though I vary the settings with the weather to come on sooner or later...).
I'll try and post the photo showing this:

That appears to be a very attractive, as well as an effective solution. Thanks for sharing the photo image, Norseman.
post #7790 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

look around here: seems like a lot of folks are having this issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/4590#post_23596763

I think the trick is to disconnect all network and serial cables since they share a common port

Thank you so much Mark. Ill have to give it another go soon.
post #7791 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrangel View Post

Tks guys for the input on the fan... I will try to get some silent fans for mine too.

Are those regular PC cases fans? If yes, how do you power them?

Another question... does the air blow into the 8801 or out of it?

Go to coolerguys.com and you can get a controller there. You also want the quietest fans you can find, if possible. They sell those too for about $20 a piece.
post #7792 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

That appears to be a very attractive, as well as an effective solution. Thanks for sharing the photo image, Norseman.

Thanks erhurd, here's another shot, but more close up.
You can just barely see them back there sitting atop the AV8801, so not at all obtrusive, and with a high 'WAF'! tongue.gif
These two blower fans draw air up, and out of the rear of the AV8801 (which seems to get the warmest) and blows it out horizontally to the rear where the cabinet is open to the wall about six inches beyond.
They're very quiet and come on after the system has been up and running for about a half hour (like I mentioned - triggered by the programmable thermostat control in the amp cabinet below).

post #7793 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I dunno.  I have a completely open Salamander rack (shelves and rails only) and the 8801 remains just barely warm to the touch. 

Kal, I also have a Salamander rack with shelves + rails and the AV8801 barely gets warm as well.
post #7794 of 11290
Have you put a temperature gauge on it? Even when mine was 115 I could put my hand on top of the unit and not burn it, but when I measured it I was surprised at how hot it was.
post #7795 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Have you put a temperature gauger on it? Even when mine was 115 I could put my hand on top of the unit and not burn it, but when I measured it I was surprised at how hot it was.

I use an infrared thermometer to measure mine. The middle back was the hottest point.
I have not seen much variation in tempurature weather is it decoding or in Pure Direct on the analog inputs.
Most of the heat may be coming from the video chip.

- Rich
post #7796 of 11290
I also noticed with the network setting that you enable in the menu to turn on the 8801 with an app (I don't know if it has other uses) that it stays pretty warm at standby, and that means more electricity usage also. Not hot, but too warm for idle, so mine is switched off. Look at the inside of this thing, it's not an empty case like some are, and I don't mind keeping it cool for what I feel is outstanding performance. But 115 degrees is too hot, and if in a closed in environment it is probably higher than that. I don't plan on giving my 8801 up for a few years, so keep it cool and it will last longer wink.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 8/20/13 at 6:35am
post #7797 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Have you put a temperature gauge on it? Even when mine was 115 I could put my hand on top of the unit and not burn it, but when I measured it I was surprised at how hot it was.

I have not but I've owned a few components in my life and have a pretty good subjective and relative scale for warm vs. hot.  The 8801 is clearly in the former category.  Perhaps I will measure it out of curiosity but it is unlikely that the numbers will change my mind.  Exactly where should I put the probe (and no snickering, please)?

post #7798 of 11290
Right over the middle of the HDMI ports is on the top of the unit is the hottest point.
post #7799 of 11290
Greetings.

Anyone using the AV8801 with the Logitec Harmony One remote? On the initial remote setup, the power on (activity) from this remote turns on all zones, but does not turn all zones off, thus leaving the AV8801 "on". When I programmed the "power on" setting of the Harmony remote by "Learning" the on command button from the Marantz remote, the Harmony One no longer turns on all zones, and only powers up the main zone (which is what I want.) However, the "activity" is not set properly when powering up the system (watch Blu-Ray, watch TV, etc.) and I have to press the activity button a second time once the AV8801 is on in order to set the AV8801 to the desired input. It powers up and defaults to the prior input from the previous session.

Not a big deal, but would prefer to press the "Activity" once and have everything come on per the activity selected. The wife gets confused and I have to remind her to press the activity on the Harmony twice to set the AV8801 to the proper input.

Thanks!
post #7800 of 11290
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I also noticed with the network setting that you enable in the menu to turn on the 8801 with an app (I don't know if it has other uses) that it stays pretty warm at standby, and that means more electricity usage also. Not hot, but too warm for idle, so mine is switched off. Look at the inside of this thing, it's not an empty case like some are, and I don't mind keeping it cool for what I feel is outstanding performance. But 115 degrees is too hot, and if in a closed in environment it is probably higher than that. I don't plan on giving my 8801 up for a few years, so keep it cool and it will last longer wink.gif

If the hottest point was measured at 140 degrees right at the chip's case, I would start worrying about it. When it's 115-120 degrees at the top of the AV8801 enclosure, it tells me that convection cooling principles are working as it should as long as the cool air is pulled in from the bottom of the enclosure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread