or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 267

post #7981 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I'll be joining the owners club next week when my unit is delivered to my local dealer. I was able to get a very fair price so that's a bonus. I traded my Integra 80.1 for an 80.2, my 80.2 developed the "no sound" bug so I've decided to move on. I've heard the Marantz is very good for music so that was a strong selling point to me.



Welcome to the club! I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Movies are equally impressive on the 8801.
post #7982 of 11283
Hello gents

Just purchased 8801 from Singapore for $2700 which I believe is fairly good price.

I will drive it with emotiva xpr5 klipsch rf7s in the front and rf82s at the surround.

Have read 70 pages (on mobile) and already learned a lot. I ll shoot questions when I put my hands on this handsome boy!
post #7983 of 11283
I just got mine hooked up 48 hours ago. I have been thoroughly enjoying it, everything sounds great, much better than my previous two AVRs. I have the 8801/8077 combo. As others have stated my surrounds really woke up too.

Now I am trying to decide if its worth getting / doing the Audyssey Pro calibration.
post #7984 of 11283
I biamp my fronts using xlr cables to one amp and RCA to the other one, will the 8801 allow me to do this?
post #7985 of 11283
Is there any way to view component video input while listening to network music?
Edited by jmschnur - 9/6/13 at 8:51pm
post #7986 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I biamp my fronts using xlr cables to one amp and RCA to the other one, will the 8801 allow me to do this?

Wouldn't the gain be different?
post #7987 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Wouldn't the gain be different?

The reason I biamp is that my mid 90's Carver alIII's are very inefficient. I drive the ribon section with a Mcintosh Mc252, the lf drivers in the bese of the cabinet with a B&K amp. I use a volume control for the lf drivers between the amp and pre amp otherwise the lf is a little too hot at higher volume. It works out well with the Mc only driving the ribons and not having to take on the lf drivers.
post #7988 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

Hello gents

Just purchased 8801 from Singapore for $2700 which I believe is fairly good price.

I will drive it with emotiva xpr5 klipsch rf7s in the front and rf82s at the surround.

Have read 70 pages (on mobile) and already learned a lot. I ll shoot questions when I put my hands on this handsome boy!



Welcome to the 8801 club! Let us know what you think when you get it all connected.
post #7989 of 11283
just finished hooking up everything. havent run audissey yet but sounded very nice so far.

one quick question, I put my cable box into hdmi1 with passthru so that I can use cable without turning 8801 on. I also connected cable box to 8801 via optic cable and I want to use speakers when i turn on 8801. I went into settings and assigned opt1 to hdmi1 but I am still unable to get any sound from speakers. what I am missing ? eek.gif
post #7990 of 11283
Out of the box, HDMI Pass Through (p. 128 OM) should default to ON and the Pass Through Source (p. 128 OM) defaults to LAST, so first confirm those settings and then you may want to change the Pass Through Source to CBL/SAT instead. Also note that the inputs are "assigned" to the source name (eg. CBL/SAT) rather than saying OPT1 is assigned to HDMI1. Not sure why you want the optical connection when you already have an HDMI connection, but if you have them both "assigned" to the same source name (eg. CBL/SAT) you would then toggle the INPUT MODE setting (p. 136 OM) from "Auto" to "Digital" to listen via the optical connection and then back to "Auto" or "HDMI" to listen to the HDMI connection.
post #7991 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Out of the box, HDMI Pass Through (p. 128 OM) should default to ON and the Pass Through Source (p. 128 OM) defaults to LAST, so first confirm those settings and then you may want to change the Pass Through Source to CBL/SAT instead. Also note that the inputs are "assigned" to the source name (eg. CBL/SAT) rather than saying OPT1 is assigned to HDMI1. Not sure why you want the optical connection when you already have an HDMI connection, but if you have them both "assigned" to the same source name (eg. CBL/SAT) you would then toggle the INPUT MODE setting (p. 136 OM) from "Auto" to "Digital" to listen via the optical connection and then back to "Auto" or "HDMI" to listen to the HDMI connection.
my cable box somehow doesnt pass multi ch audio from hdmi but it does from optic and thats why I want to connect it through optic toslink.
post #7992 of 11283
Hmm .. what brand cable box as it should be able to pass DD 5.1 over the HDMI connection? Also, you would have to set the INPUT MODE back to "Auto" or "HDMI" in order to use the HDMI Pass Through feature, or another option often recommended to avoid HDMI handshake issues that are common with cable/sat boxes is to simply connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV so you can use the TV speakers without having to turn on the 8801 and yet still have the optical connection for surround audio listening.
post #7993 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

my cable box somehow doesnt pass multi ch audio from hdmi but it does from optic and thats why I want to connect it through optic toslink.



That is really odd, usually it's the other way around. I just got Comcasts newest box, maybe you can find out if an upgraded box does what you want and request it. If there is an upgrade for you.
post #7994 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Hmm .. what brand cable box as it should be able to pass DD 5.1 over the HDMI connection? Also, you would have to set the INPUT MODE back to "Auto" or "HDMI" in order to use the HDMI Pass Through feature, or another option often recommended to avoid HDMI handshake issues that are common with cable/sat boxes is to simply connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV so you can use the TV speakers without having to turn on the 8801 and yet still have the optical connection for surround audio listening.

it is Pace TDS850IDI. unfortunately cable company has its own firmware on it which doesnt allow me to access all the audio setup features.
post #7995 of 11283
ok i just realized I am unable to hear anything from any input.

I switched to network play and I can play Flac files without issues so there is no problem between power and 8801. however I switched to media player input for my WDTV live and I hear nothing although video is same. same issue with cable box.
I tried switching input mode to both digital and hdmi for Cable box and hdmi for WDTV but didnt make any change, I still hear nothing
post #7996 of 11283
Lurking novice here planning to step into the HT space after move to 800 sqft apartment. I'm seeking a modest system controlled by the Audyssey features offered by the AV8801. Since my system has space and headroom constraints, I will limit my speakers to the Hsu 5.2.1 system so the AV8801 channel capacity is overkill -- that's okay.
Without getting technical at this point, has anyone combined the Marantz AV8801 with Marantz MM7055 (or any other Marantz 5-channel amp) and what were your results?
Edited by RayWK - 9/8/13 at 2:05pm
post #7997 of 11283
Stupid me!
Hdmi audio out was selected TV.

Fixed not having any audio issue but still unable to get it from optic
post #7998 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

Stupid me!
Hdmi audio out was selected TV.

Fixed not having any audio issue but still unable to get it from optic



Do you have have optical selected in the input menu?
Edited by comfynumb - 9/7/13 at 3:48pm
post #7999 of 11283
Can those of you who installed high and or wide channel speakers comment on how much it added to your movie watching experience? Thinking of adding wides but would have to fish walls to do it.
post #8000 of 11283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Can those of you who installed high and or wide channel speakers comment on how much it added to your movie watching experience? Thinking of adding wides but would have to fish walls to do it.

Depends on your room. I do like wides better than heights personally.
post #8001 of 11283
Ok it worked when I changed decode mode to auto. Neither dts nor pcm worked but works with auto which is interesting to me.
post #8002 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

Ok it worked when I changed decode mode to auto. Neither dts nor pcm worked but works with auto which is interesting to me.



So what do you think of the sound?
post #8003 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

So what do you think of the sound?

cannot make any comment with PVR as the source quality is questionable. I ran audissey today, it set my Klipsch RF82 fronts at -3.0db and I watched couple of 1080p DTS movies and I found voice level a bit low when I am around -15db. It is fairly high value and I believe I need to spend some more time with calibration

I am going to get my RF7s on tuesday and will re-run audissey on the weekend. lets see how it goes
post #8004 of 11283
Has anyone tried the xlr out to rca in on an amp. The owners manual states not to do this, yet everywhere I read, it's ok to join pins 1 and 3 to ground and use 2 as hot. On another note, anyone offer any opinions on phono SQ? Thanks
post #8005 of 11283
^^^

Why would one use the balanced outputs if you're going to connect them to an non-balanced input?
post #8006 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

^^^

Why would one use the balanced outputs if you're going to connect them to an non-balanced input?

I use XLRs out to an XLR ins on my A51:
  • to minimize noise between the preamp the amp (some hum is reduced)
  • the amps input stage is balanced, although it is a not a fully balanced amp
  • I have the XLR cables
  • they lock


- Rich
post #8007 of 11283
I want to use the balance because: I got long balanced neutrik/ mogami cables already, the connections are more secure at least on the xlr side, and to lessen the amount of conjestion on the back panel. So, did anyone listen to the phono section yet? And why a question answer for a question? only women do that.
post #8008 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I use XLRs out to an XLR ins on my A51:
  • to minimize noise between the preamp the amp (some hum is reduced)
  • the amps input stage is balanced, although it is a not a fully balanced amp
  • I have the XLR cables
  • they lock




Yeah, I use balanced outputs to balanced inputs too, even though the guts of the equipment aren't fully differential.

The question, however, was in regard to connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input.
post #8009 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by db029936 View Post

I want to use the balance because: I got long balanced neutrik/ mogami cables already, the connections are more secure at least on the xlr side, and to lessen the amount of conjestion on the back panel. So, did anyone listen to the phono section yet? And why a question answer for a question? only women do that.


Keep in mind there are many women Audio/videophiles active here wink.gif

and welcome to the 8801 thread smile.gif
post #8010 of 11283
Quote:
Originally Posted by db029936 View Post

And why a question answer for a question? only women do that.

Hahaha...LOL!!

Of course, the real reason to answer that question with a question is to ascertain whether your thought about it is based on logic or ignorance, then respond accordingly if necessary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread