or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 282

post #8431 of 11320
I'm just finishing up a review of the new Yamaha pre/pro and one thing I noticed is that at the same relative volume level (say -20), the Yamaha is MUCH louder than the Marantz as the same volume level. I guess its output is greater over its balanced connection versus the Marantz. Granted, this doesn't mean anything since I can turn up the volume to whatever measure I like, but it was interesting nonetheless.
post #8432 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm just finishing up a review of the new Yamaha pre/pro and one thing I noticed is that at the same relative volume level (say -20), the Yamaha is MUCH louder than the Marantz as the same volume level. I guess its output is greater over its balanced connection versus the Marantz. Granted, this doesn't mean anything since I can turn up the volume to whatever measure I like, but it was interesting nonetheless.



Interesting Dave, I can't imagine what it would be like cranked up, my ears tap out with loud recordings on the 8801 at reference.
post #8433 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm just finishing up a review of the new Yamaha pre/pro and one thing I noticed is that at the same relative volume level (say -20), the Yamaha is MUCH louder than the Marantz as the same volume level. I guess its output is greater over its balanced connection versus the Marantz. Granted, this doesn't mean anything since I can turn up the volume to whatever measure I like, but it was interesting nonetheless.
That IS interesting!
I would think reference 0db would be the same after set up, or at least close(?).
Dave, I'm looking forward to you review (in S&V now I suppose...?), as I bugged Yamaha for years to get into the separates business, but then got tired of waiting for them and got the AV8801...
Glad I did, but have always liked Yamaha's higher end equipment, so I'm still curious...
post #8434 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

That IS interesting!
I would think reference 0db would be the same after set up, or at least close(?).
Dave, I'm looking forward to you review (in S&V now I suppose...?), as I bugged Yamaha for years to get into the separates business, but then got tired of waiting for them and got the AV8801...
Glad I did, but have always liked Yamaha's higher end equipment, so I'm still curious...



Exactly what I would have thought.
post #8435 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

That IS interesting!
I would think reference 0db would be the same after set up, or at least close(?).
Dave, I'm looking forward to you review (in S&V now I suppose...?), as I bugged Yamaha for years to get into the separates business, but then got tired of waiting for them and got the AV8801...
Glad I did, but have always liked Yamaha's higher end equipment, so I'm still curious...

Yes...it's Sound and Vision now (I need to update my signature).

I have a few theories that I want to run by Mark Peterson, who does our benchmark testing. I think the gain on the balanced outputs is geared towards their companion amp and the volume level with that amp was much closer to the Marantz/Parasound combo I use, but when the Yamaha was hooked up to my Parasounds, it was a good 10db higher versus their stock amp. Very strange indeed.
post #8436 of 11320
Are there voltage output specs on the pre amp for balanced and unbalanced? Aren't there standards for this?
post #8437 of 11320
Will be looking forward to that review.
post #8438 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are there voltage output specs on the pre amp for balanced and unbalanced? Aren't there standards for this?

2.0v for the Yamaha, 2.4v for the Marantz. Technically, the Marantz should be louder. I'll have to check the trim levels on the speakers because maybe the Audyssey calibration has something to do with it. In the end it doesn't matter one bit because despite what the number on the readout states, I only listen as loud as comfortable.
post #8439 of 11320
might it matter to those who want to hear reference levels for Blu Rays?
post #8440 of 11320
I seem to remember one piece of equipment I reviewed years ago where reference was actually -8 instead of zero, but I can't recall which AVR it was.
post #8441 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Interesting Dave, I can't imagine what it would be like cranked up, my ears tap out with loud recordings on the 8801 at reference.

Not only do my ears tap out! they threatened me with a lawsuit eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #8442 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince325 View Post

Thanks K exactly the information I was craving!

 

My pleasure. Enjoy your system!

post #8443 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

My pleasure. Enjoy your system!



Keith it's good to see you on this thread. Are you thinking about picking up the 8801?
post #8444 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

2.0v for the Yamaha, 2.4v for the Marantz. Technically, the Marantz should be louder. I'll have to check the trim levels on the speakers because maybe the Audyssey calibration has something to do with it. In the end it doesn't matter one bit because despite what the number on the readout states, I only listen as loud as comfortable.



If the Yamaha is that loud, I wonder if clipping would come into play when it's coupled to certain amps when played at reference or slightly above.
post #8445 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

If the Yamaha is that loud, I wonder if clipping would come into play when it's coupled to certain amps when played at reference or slightly above.

Good question. I can't wait to see the benchmark results. Unfortunately, I see those when you guys do...once they hit the website or magazine.
post #8446 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

My pleasure. Enjoy your system!



Keith it's good to see you on this thread. Are you thinking about picking up the 8801?

 

Thanks!  No, not intending to change my Onkyo 5509. Someone whose posts I follow posted here so I came to take a look and spotted a question that is covered pretty good in the Audyssey FAQ, that's all.  

post #8447 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I seem to remember one piece of equipment I reviewed years ago where reference was actually -8 instead of zero, but I can't recall which AVR it was.
But like you mentioned, I suppose it really doesn't mean much anyway, as each of us listens to our own preference (tolerance?) level regardless! tongue.gif
I typically listen to movies at about -10db to -14db which I think is loud on my system, but also (and I think this is important to consider) is that each Blu-ray disc seems to be 'gained' at slightly different 'loudness to db' settings.
Some are plenty loud at -20db, whereas others I need to play at -10db to get about the same perceived loudness level on my system, so it also depends on the level the source material was mastered at I think too(?).

But you're measuring a 10db difference - when both are supposedly set up/to reference 0db is indeed quite unexpected! eek.gif
post #8448 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Thanks!  No, not intending to change my Onkyo 5509. Someone whose posts I follow posted here so I came to take a look and spotted a question that is covered pretty good in the Audyssey FAQ, that's all.  



Well your always welcome to demo mine if your in the states smile.gif
There's also a lot of Audyssey questions here, so stick around!
Edited by comfynumb - 10/1/13 at 11:49am
post #8449 of 11320
Dave, the post audyssey results would certainly make a major difference in the relative volume levels between the two receivers. I would check into this a shade more if you can help it.

Gents,

I have had something funny going on with the volume rocker (and via remote) where when turning (or pushing) either I get stuck at certain volume levels and it takes a gratuitous spin (held-down push) to get the volume past these points. It is really quite strange and I haven't tried a factory reset or unplug yet, but it always happens at the same levels. Anyone had something similar to this? The only way I have tried to fix it so far is to just power cycle, but that hasn't done it. It is something a factory reset should take care of handily, but I hate working through all my settings again... I guess right now not having audyssey since I popped the new amp in is as good a time as any to do so though....
post #8450 of 11320
Unplugging from the wall power for 10 minutes (what's called a "soft reset") won't affect your Audyssey settings, so that would be the next thing to try.
post #8451 of 11320
I gave that a shot, but I need to do it one more time just to see if I didn't give it a full 10 minutes. I can report back once taken care of smile.gif
post #8452 of 11320
Has anyone had a problem using Roomie Remote with the 8801, using IP control? I've had great difficulty in sustaining an internet connection to it, from one session to the next. I'm using DHCP, which did not give me problems with my Denon AVR-4810CI. But with the 8801, I feel like I have to delete the device and reinstall it, in order for it to work. Then, after shutting everything down and coming back to it the next night, I'm right back to the 8801 not receiving Roomie commands again. It's unclear to me if this is a Roomie problem or an issue with the 8801.

FWIW, the 8801's network connection is set to "Always On."

TIA for any assistance you can provide.

Regards,

Scott
post #8453 of 11320
Scott,

Just as a test, try a different Ethernet port on the back of the Marantz. It may not make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
post #8454 of 11320
Ok, so soft reset didn't fix the whole volume sticking thing, however, I still did a new Audyssey cal and the last one is so good I might just have to deal with it. I was listening to "the mushroom man" by lushlife project (not the one on youtube) and the music was literally panning around me, but in stereo. I have heard that effect before but not like I just got this evening. Gotta say, LOVE this unit, once again!! It just keeps surprising me!!!!
post #8455 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Ok, so soft reset didn't fix the whole volume sticking thing, however, I still did a new Audyssey cal and the last one is so good I might just have to deal with it. I was listening to "the mushroom man" by lushlife project (not the one on youtube) and the music was literally panning around me, but in stereo. I have heard that effect before but not like I just got this evening. Gotta say, LOVE this unit, once again!! It just keeps surprising me!!!!

So what did you do different?
post #8456 of 11320
I've been watching the flurry of activity on the 103 Oppo player being rereleased with Darbee video processing.

I wonder how likely it is that Marantz will put Darbee in their 8801? Maybe an 8801D?
post #8457 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I've been watching the flurry of activity on the 103 Oppo player being rereleased with Darbee video processing.

I wonder how likely it is that Marantz will put Darbee in their 8801? Maybe an 8801D?



Was this Oppo's answer to the problems some have had with the 103 or just an upgrade?
Edited by comfynumb - 10/3/13 at 4:48am
post #8458 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Ok, so soft reset didn't fix the whole volume sticking thing, however, I still did a new Audyssey cal and the last one is so good I might just have to deal with it. I was listening to "the mushroom man" by lushlife project (not the one on youtube) and the music was literally panning around me, but in stereo. I have heard that effect before but not like I just got this evening. Gotta say, LOVE this unit, once again!! It just keeps surprising me!!!!

Agreed. I was skeptical that a pre amp could make much difference in stereo sound staging but this thing proved it can. As beast said, I have heard the effect before but not to this degree, not even close. I have been very busy between work and other obligations since I set mine up. I have been using it every two to three days. I have to unplug it and plug it back in before I use it almost every time before the sound works. I hope they can fix this with a firmware update.
post #8459 of 11320
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

So what did you do different?

On the Audyssey setup? Nothing really, but I did move my MLP back up to where I am a little closer to an equilateral triangle, I worked on the toe-in a little more on the speakers, and I hadn't done a new "Full" calibration since I put in my new ceiling acoustic panels. Bottom line is tonight I plan on doing a gratuitous listening session and enjoy this incredible sound I have.

TBH however, I was dead happy with no Audyssey at all, default distances and nothing special at all listening to music, as my last cal from the previous location just didn't do it for me, but now I have my work cut out for me going through some favorite tracks and seeing how the closer MLP does with and without aud, bypass LR, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I've been watching the flurry of activity on the 103 Oppo player being rereleased with Darbee video processing.

I wonder how likely it is that Marantz will put Darbee in their 8801? Maybe an 8801D?

I just got the darblet unit and popped it in-line from the marantz to my PJ and it is a slick little box! Major improvement!
post #8460 of 11320
Dave,

Will do. I'll be back soon with feedback.

Thanks,

Scott
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread