or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 295

post #8821 of 11327

Was hopeful resetting microprocessor would work. No joy. Tried multiple times.

post #8822 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post

Was hopeful resetting microprocessor would work. No joy. Tried multiple times.

Did you check the internet connection? try rebooting the main pc and the router with the 8801 shut down and then after powering back up check the internet connection to the 8801. I would try using another of the 4 jacks after this as well.
post #8823 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiortp View Post

On the AV8801, is it OK to use the XLR outputs for front, center & surrounds and the RCA output for the sub? This won't cause a problem with the Audyssey calibration? The sub I am considering buying has no XLR input, but my B&K amp has them.hCWpp



Yes it's ok, my sub has no XLR either.
post #8824 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

Is $2900 a decent price for a new AV8801 from an authorized dealer?



Yes it sounds like a decent price, but just for the heck of it I'd contact AVS and see what they want for one.
post #8825 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiortp View Post
 

On the AV8801, is it OK to use the XLR outputs for front, center & surrounds and the RCA output for the sub? This won't cause a problem with the Audyssey calibration? The sub I am considering buying has no XLR input, but my B&K amp has them.hCWpp

 

Audyssey won't care how they are connected, only how they sound in the room. But if you ever change from RCA to XLR or v-v it is wise to re-run the calibration as the output levels of XLR/RCA are likely to be different to each other. 

post #8826 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post

Was hopeful resetting microprocessor would work. No joy. Tried multiple times.

have you tried unplugging AC power for several minutes?

the failed download is not uncommon: if it fails it should still retain old firmware and operate...
post #8827 of 11327
I just got and installed a Marantz SA-14s1 SACD player(retail $2499). I run it to my Integra 9.9. I also have a Oppo 105 via HDMI to the Integra. The Oppo/Integra combo appears more detailed. Sound is more localized.
The Marantz player seems good for redbook CD. The SACDs sound great! The music is integrated and softer.

I have a Marantz AV8801 on order. Will I loose the details in music with oppo to Marantz processor via HDMI? I listen to 80s alternative music with lots of synthesizer music. I don't want the sounds muted. Will the Marantz affect the sound and tone it down?
post #8828 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

I just got and installed a Marantz SA-14s1 SACD player(retail $2499). I run it to my Integra 9.9. I also have a Oppo 105 via HDMI to the Integra. The Oppo/Integra combo appears more detailed. Sound is more localized.
The Marantz player seems good for redbook CD. The SACDs sound great! The music is integrated and softer.

I have a Marantz AV8801 on order. Will I loose the details in music with oppo to Marantz processor via HDMI? I listen to 80s alternative music with lots of synthesizer music. I don't want the sounds muted. Will the Marantz affect the sound and tone it down?



You'll have to try different combinations to see which one you like best. Is the Marantz player that much better than the Oppo 103 or 105 for CD's? What did you end up paying for it?
post #8829 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post


Did you check the internet connection? try rebooting the main pc and the router with the 8801 shut down and then after powering back up check the internet connection to the 8801. I would try using another of the 4 jacks after this as well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post


have you tried unplugging AC power for several minutes?

the failed download is not uncommon: if it fails it should still retain old firmware and operate...

Thanx for the response guys but I tried rebooting and trying all jacks, does not work. Unplugged for several minutes does not work. I did however try resetting the microprocessor a few more times. Result, now the failed connection went away. However the bad news is the pre/pro does not/ will not try to reconnect anymore to complete update download and I can't go into the unit's setup. Clicking on any input result is only a two channel stereo, no sound, can't change any settings and nothing else works. She seems to be dead in the water. 

post #8830 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post
 

I need some serious help guys. I got the 8801 about three weeks ago. The on screen menu started to flicker/blink on all inputs except for game and cable/sat. Checked all cables and restarted equipment with the same results. So I then go to update the firmware to see if this would resolve the issue. I started the download then was hands off. It never completed the download. Now i get connection failed 0E. Retry connection fails every time. i just had a flicker problem before now i can't even use my unit. Will call tech support on Monday. This sucks.

 

Equipment 

 

Marantz 8801 pre/pro

Marantz 8807 amp

Yamaha MX-1 amp

B&W CM10

B&W CM Center 2

B&W CM Center x 2 FH

B&W CM1 x 4 SR and SRB

M&K MX-125 Sub

post #8831 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post

I'm running a PS3 through the Bluray input and it will not show DTS MA. It shows DTS Neo X: Game. what do I have to do for it to show DTS MA? I'll check to see what I have the PS3 set on but I'm sure its bitstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post

Okay Guys Figured it out. Had to go back and reset after I connected to the 8801. Thanks anyway!rolleyes.gif

A good reminder for new buyers that the PS3/Blu Ray player connected to a TV will likely be set to pass STEREO audio only and must be reset while connected to the 8801 so it can detect the multi channel capability of the 8801, otherwise it will simply continue to pass STEREO audio and the 8801 will use a simulation mode to get to 5.1/7.1/9.1/11.1 (eg. DTS Neo:X). Also note on the PS3, if video issues are present, set the PS3 "Deep Color Output" to OFF.
post #8832 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post


Thanx for the response guys but I tried rebooting and trying all jacks, does not work. Unplugged for several minutes does not work. I did however try resetting the microprocessor a few more times. Result, now the failed connection went away. However the bad news is the pre/pro does not/ will not try to reconnect anymore to complete update download and I can't go into the unit's setup. Clicking on any input result is only a two channel stereo, no sound, can't change any settings and nothing else works. She seems to be dead in the water. 

Try doing a network reset by pressing/holding the MOVIE and MUSIC buttons on the front panel while powering on the unit.
post #8833 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

Is $2900 a decent price for a new AV8801 from an authorized dealer?

[8 -Ball]
Call around.
[/8 -Ball]

Sounds at least $600 high wink.gif


- Rich
post #8834 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post



Sounds at least $600 high wink.gif

Call around.

- Rich



I wish I shopped a little more, but I think I paid for getting one of the first batch. Next time I will be a little more thorough wink.gif
post #8835 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

Is $2900 a decent price for a new AV8801 from an authorized dealer?
Do you have a 'trade-in' to barter with?
If so, try these guys (authorized dealer):
http://hifiheaven.net/store/Products/Home-Theater-Electronics/Marantz-AV8801-AV-11.2-Channel-Preamplifier-processor
post #8836 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post


Try doing a network reset by pressing/holding the MOVIE and MUSIC buttons on the front panel while powering on the unit.

I haven't tried that yet. Well just tried it, same results. I'm all out of ideals.

post #8837 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantzsucks View Post


I haven't tried that yet. Well just tried it, same results. I'm all out of ideals.



If that doesn't work then the next step is to get ahold of Marantz, but I'd go for a replacement from your dealer if it was bad from the get go.
post #8838 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

Is $2900 a decent price for a new AV8801 from an authorized dealer?

Maybe check right here at AVS by private message to Jdsmoothie or av science sales 5 (aka Mike Garrett)
post #8839 of 11327
I know the only way to bypass the DAC in the 8801 is to use Direct or Pure Direct. This only holds true only for the analog inputs correct? If I use the HDMI inputs I'm using the 8801's DAC right?
post #8840 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I know the only way to bypass the DAC in the 8801 is to use Direct or Pure Direct. This only holds true only for the analog inputs correct? If I use the HDMI inputs I'm using the 8801's DAC right?

Inevitably.

post #8841 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I know the only way to bypass the DAC in the 8801 is to use Direct or Pure Direct. This only holds true only for the analog inputs correct? If I use the HDMI inputs I'm using the 8801's DAC right?

The only way to be certain to bypass the 8801 DACS is to use the 7.1 analog inputs.
Since the XLR inputs support LFE+MAIN the bass must be processed. I suppose that could be in parallel but the timing would be difficult.
If analog bass management was possible, then it would likely be supported for the 7.1 analog inputs, which it is not.

- Rich
post #8842 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Inevitably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

The only way to be certain to bypass the 8801 DACS is to use the 7.1 analog inputs.
Since the XLR inputs support LFE+MAIN the bass must be processed. I suppose that could be in parallel but the timing would be difficult.
If analog bass management was possible, then it would likely be supported for the 7.1 analog inputs, which it is not.

- Rich



Thanks guys I thought so and there is so much false information out there on this subject I wanted to be sure.
post #8843 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

The only way to be certain to bypass the 8801 DACS is to use the 7.1 analog inputs.
Since the XLR inputs support LFE+MAIN the bass must be processed. I suppose that could be in parallel but the timing would be difficult.
If analog bass management was possible, then it would likely be supported for the 7.1 analog inputs, which it is not.

- Rich

I still hear no bass from my sub nor does the power light come on , when using Pure direct via xlr using the cd input , direct may be a different story! tongue.gif
post #8844 of 11327
Neither Direct nor Pure Direct will provide any subwoofer output on their own if there's no LFE channel provided in the source material. Unlike movies, very few multichannel music recordings include an LFE channel. All of their bass is included in their main audio tracks.

Having said that, if you're using digital inputs or stereo inputs (including the stereo XLR input), you can enable LFE+MAIN, which will copy (not remove) the low frequencies from the main channels to the subwoofer channel. That'll provide additional bass output. However, there will be interference in the frequency range where the subwoofer overlaps with the main speakers, resulting in what's known as "bloated bass".
post #8845 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I still hear no bass from my sub nor does the power light come on , when using Pure direct via xlr using the cd input , direct may be a different story! tongue.gif

I just verified that the XLR's work with LFE+Main on the CD input.
When I select the XLR inputs it really does not matter what input is assigned to, it still works.
LFE+MAIN engaged my subs in Pure, Direct, and Stereo mode.

The high-pass filter is set to 120hz.
All speakers are set to large.

If that does not work, contact tech support, your unit is defective.

- Rich
post #8846 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I just verified that the XLR's work with LFE+Main on the CD input.
When I select the XLR inputs it really does not matter what input is assigned to, it still works.
LFE+MAIN engaged my subs in Pure, Direct, and Stereo mode.

The high-pass filter is set to 120hz.
All speakers are set to large.

If that does not work, contact tech support, your unit is defective.

- Rich

Not defective at all, for one all video functions and display ( besides a flash of volume level and channels and it may even display the sub icon with the FR/FL but its not playing and your're not allowed to make any adjustments) while in Pure direct are disabled, can you increase the sub level? no you cant and the as for the High pass filter, it's meaningless! as it has nothing to do with stereo sources since there's no .1 channel. Now yes you can have sub with XLR in plain Auto or stereo regardless of input as I've verified as well but not I repeat not with Pure direct

In pure direct your not able to access the menu at all for any adjustments, so how are you doing so?
post #8847 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Not defective at all, for one all video functions and display ( besides a flash of volume level and channels and it may even display the sub icon with the FR/FL but its not playing and your're not allowed to make any adjustments) while in Pure direct are disabled, can you increase the sub level? no you cant and the as for the High pass filter, it's meaningless! as it has nothing to do with stereo sources since there's no .1 channel. Now yes you can have sub with XLR in plain Auto or stereo regardless of input as I've verified as well but not I repeat not with Pure direct

In pure direct your not able to access the menu at all for any adjustments, so how are you doing so?

  1. Exit Pure Direct Mode by pressing the Pure mode or button until the blue light is off (any mode will do).
  2. Enter the menu and Make changes.
  3. Enter Pure Direct mode by pressing the Pure button.

Changes that are made while not in Pure mode are still effective.

Also, If you are looking at the front panel channel display, it default to display the input signal.
You can change that to display the output which should show the sub active.

- Rich
post #8848 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

  1. Exit Pure Direct Mode by pressing the Pure mode or button until the blue light is off (any mode will do).
  2. Enter the menu and Make changes.
  3. Enter Pure Direct mode by pressing the Pure button.

Changes that are made while not in Pure mode are still effective.

Also, If you are looking at the front panel channel display, it default to display the input signal.
You can change that to display the output which should show the sub active.

- Rich

I owe you an apology Rich I increased the volume full tilt on the sub and it indeed came on wink.gif
post #8849 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I owe you an apology Rich I increased the volume full tilt on the sub and it indeed came on wink.gif

No problem.

We have been on this road a while, I am glad you got it working.

- Rich
post #8850 of 11327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

No problem.

We have been on this road a while, I am glad you got it working.

- Rich

Kudos biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread