or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 350

post #10471 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Question i have denon 1803 and running from 103 via analog to ext in on avr ..on oppo i change audio hdmi audio i put Bitstream and Coaxial/optical DSi did bitstream but im not useing optical NOW sacd should it be PCM OR DSD?? And should i change HDMI AUDIO to Auto,lpcm/Bitstream,or OFF ty smile.gifsmile.gif
I have a Denon avr-1803 i am running from oppo via analog rca to rca to ext in on avr ..MY questions are 1.) HDMI Audio: Set to ? 2.) SACD to PCM or DSD? Hope thats clearer smile.gifsmile.gif just not use to this setup as i see no dts,dolby etc...
post #10472 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Question i have denon 1803 and running from 103 via analog to ext in on avr ..on oppo i change audio hdmi audio i put Bitstream and Coaxial/optical DSi did bitstream but im not useing optical NOW sacd should it be PCM OR DSD?? And should i change HDMI AUDIO to Auto,lpcm/Bitstream,or OFF ty smile.gifsmile.gif
I have a Denon avr-1803 i am running from oppo via analog rca to rca to ext in on avr ..MY questions are 1.) HDMI Audio: Set to ? 2.) SACD to PCM or DSD? Hope thats clearer smile.gifsmile.gif

MUCH clearer.

If you are not using HDMI Audio, I suggest you set HDMI Audio OFF. You can also leave Secondary Audio ON with no risk of loss of quality.

Since you are using the Analog audio outputs -- with HDMI Audio OFF -- you then have a free choice as to whether to use SACD Output PCM or SACD Output DSD for your SACD playback. (The choice won't have any effect on non-SACD disc playback.)

Purists would say use DSD, but there's one important Gotcha you need to know about. When DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is engaged, there can be NO AUDIO PROCESSING in the OPPO. The DSD goes directly to the DACs for conversion to Analog output.

That means, for example, no Down-mixing if you play a 5.1 SACD track with less than 5.1 speakers, no speaker distance adjustment, and no Crossover processing (bass management). It's as if you had all the speakers set equidistant and LARGE and with at least 5.1 speakers enabled for output.

If in fact that's EXACTLY how you have your speakers set ANYWAY, then you can switch back and forth between SACD Output PCM and SACD Output DSD willy-nilly and just hear for yourself if there's a difference you like.

But if you NEED the OPPO to be doing, e.g., Crossover processing, then you should use SACD Output PCM.
--Bob
post #10473 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

MUCH clearer.

If you are not using HDMI Audio, I suggest you set HDMI Audio OFF. You can also leave Secondary Audio ON with no risk of loss of quality.

Since you are using the Analog audio outputs -- with HDMI Audio OFF -- you then have a free choice as to whether to use SACD Output PCM or SACD Output DSD for your SACD playback. (The choice won't have any effect on non-SACD disc playback.)

Purists would say use DSD, but there's one important Gotcha you need to know about. When DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is engaged, there can be NO AUDIO PROCESSING in the OPPO. The DSD goes directly to the DACs for conversion to Analog output.

That means, for example, no Down-mixing if you play a 5.1 SACD track with less than 5.1 speakers, no speaker distance adjustment, and no Crossover processing (bass management). It's as if you had all the speakers set equidistant and LARGE and with at least 5.1 speakers enabled for output.

If in fact that's EXACTLY how you have your speakers set ANYWAY, then you can switch back and forth between SACD Output PCM and SACD Output DSD willy-nilly and just hear for yourself if there's a difference you like.

But if you NEED the OPPO to be doing, e.g., Crossover processing, then you should use SACD Output PCM.
--Bob
Ty so Much as i just watch 5.1 movies with it, and i have small sattelite speakers the old energy brand ....tyvm
post #10474 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Can anyone expalin the benefits of "deep color" settings and when I should use them? I watch cable TV through my OPPO and also watch Blue Ray's.

My philosophy on this is a little different than the previous answers. I use the highest deep color setting that has no detectible detrimental effects. "Deep Color" is nothing more than using more numbers or steps (a higher "bit depth") between the brightest bright and darkest dark. As stated previously, no source material is encoded with deep color. It's all 24 bit. However at least some of the processing (which may include de-interlacing, scaling, and the Marvell QDEO functions) in the Oppo is performed at the 36 bit level. If your display accepts and processes at higher than 24 bit (unfortunately most manufacturers don't document this well) then there might be a very slight benefit in passing the higher bit level on to the display.

The only difference I've been able to detect on my display (which processes and displays at the 30 or 36 bit level) is the result of the Bit Resolution Expansion/QDEO True Color Processing as described and illustrated in figures 10 and 11 of this document: Qdeo Extended Technology Brief. Using a gray scale ramp pattern, it looks like figure 10 with Deep Color "Off" or in either of the "dither" settings (individual steps visible), and like figure 11 with Deep Color in either the 30 or 36 bit settings (individual steps not visible).

Also if you see 8-bit, 10-bit, and 12-bit, these are the same as 24-bit, 30-bit, and 36-bit respectively. 8 10 and 12 are bits per channel (RGB or Y,Cb,Cr). 24, 30, and 36 are total bits.
post #10475 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Please describe what you are hearing, again. Does it happen at repeatable time codes? Does it happen for both Bitstream and LPCM output?

How are you cabled for audio and video?
--Bob

It's not repeatable 100% of the time on a given disc; maybe 50% of the time if that. Kind of a frequent, yet random occurrence. Last night it did it on the Blu-ray of Star Wars: A New Hope. It also happened on Season 2 of Star Trek: The Original Series (disc 1) Blu-ray.

It's best described as a "popping" noise when the disc finishes loading and just before the content appears on your display. It even has happened when selecting a special feature on a disc after it's selected and just before the content starts, the pop is heard. This happens on LPCM. With bitstreaming, I have gotten random "pops" during the actual movie (recently, The Jerk on Blu-ray). However, I have not heard a pop during actual content when using LPCM; with LPCM the pop is always just before the content displays as something is finished loading.

I am using 1080p, 24hz, 4:4:4, and dual HDMI: HDMI 1 video to display (Panasonic 65VT60) and HDMI 2 audio to receiver (Pioneer VSX-91TXH). Six foot standard HDMI cables.
Edited by DavidHir - 7/23/13 at 1:19pm
post #10476 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Please describe what you are hearing, again. Does it happen at repeatable time codes? Does it happen for both Bitstream and LPCM output?

How are you cabled for audio and video?
--Bob

It's not repeatable 100% of the time on a given disc; maybe 50% of the time if that. Kind of a frequent, yet random occurrence.

It's best described as a "popping" noise when the disc finishes loading and just before the content appears on your display. It even has happened when selecting a special feature on a disc after it's selected and just before the content starts, the pop is heard. This happens on LPCM. With bitstreaming, I have gotten random "pops" during the actual movie (recently, The Jerk on Blu-ray). However, I have not heard a pop during actual content when using LPCM; with LPCM it's always just before the content displays as something is finished loading.

I am using 1080p, 24hz, 4:4:4, and dual HDMI: HDMI 1 video to display (Panasonic 65VT60) and HDMI 2 audio to receiver (Pioneer VSX-91TXH). Six foot standard HDMI cables.

This will be tricky to track down. By all means email details like this to OPPO. Be sure to mention that this is with the Public Beta 0719B firmware.

Any AVR needs to mute digital audio input until it is sure the stream is "valid" in format. So basically there should be a brief muting delay when, for example, a new LPCM stream starts up as you describe. What it sounds like is happening is that the AVR isn't muting, or isn't muting long enough and so you hear the transient from the LPCM stream not quite ready to go yet.

Now, whether there's something the OPPO can do better to prevent/reduce this with your AVR is the question.

One thing I would suggest is that you do not use HDMI Audio AUTO as that complicates the audio handshake. Pick LPCM or Bitstream explicitly, as you prefer.
--Bob
post #10477 of 16446
^ Another thing to try: If you ALSO have an HDMI output cable from the AVR to your Display (supposedly not in use when playing the OPPO), try temporarily disconnecting that and see if the audio issue changes. It shouldn't but it might.

If it does, let OPPO know that as well.
--Bob
post #10478 of 16446
Yeah, I use LPCM explicitly right now. The bitstreaming pop during the movie concerned me the most as it was quite loud and I am always concerned about potential speaker damage, so it stays off for now. No AVR HDMI cable into the display.
post #10479 of 16446
Problems like these pops have been reported in the past with other players. In some cases, AVR firmware upgrades fixed the problem since they were caused by player/AVR/disc interactions. You might want to check if there is a firmware update for your AVR. If available, it may help.
post #10480 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yeah, I use LPCM explicitly right now. The bitstreaming pop during the movie concerned me the most as it was quite loud and I am always concerned about potential speaker damage, so it stays off for now. No AVR HDMI cable into the display.

I had this pop many times when I was using a Pioneer VSX-94 receiver. With a new Pioneer 1222 never had it again. I knew there was a fix for my old receiver but I didn't want to send it for a firmware update .
post #10481 of 16446
If I could quickly "pop" into the conversation for a second...

This is something that was driving me crazy as well- I noticed that the pops were happening as the receiver was locking onto the audio codec, and was quite noticeable when outputting the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (either PCM or bitstreaming allowed the pops). I'm guessing this is happening for you as well, as this is what happens the second before content is displayed. I am on a Marantz 7002 AVR, and my limited research pointed towards a firmware update for the AVR, but it wasn't serious enough to justify boxing that thing up and shipping it away. I just made sure that at the beginning of the playback, the volume was not too high.

The only difference in my situation is that I never got pops during normal playback (regardless of PCM or Bitstream playback). It only happened at the beginning of the content being played.

I will say that the pops were louder on my previous blu-ray player (a Panasonic) than they are on the Oppo. However, as they happened only when the receiver was locking onto the signal, not during normal playback, I chalked it up to HDMI "unruliness." I just stopped listening for it and became happier as a result.

Incidentally, does the pop happen when watching DVDs (more specifically, the lossy audio codecs)?

I know this post doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but I do agree with the theory that AVR firmware upgrades might help. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the result as I never went through with that solution myself.
post #10482 of 16446

When I installed the latest beta and reset my system, I expected the 5 step simple setup process we've had all along. I didn't get it this time. Is this normal?

 

Also, the MCU firmware didn't change in my system(I think). This normal too?

post #10483 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

When I installed the latest beta and reset my system, I expected the 5 step simple setup process we've had all along. I didn't get it this time. Is this normal?

Also, the MCU firmware didn't change in my system(I think). This normal too?

Huh? The "Easy Setup Wizard" of the original OPPO Blu-ray player has never been a part of the 103/105.

If you check the release notes for the 0719B firmware -- either in the first post of this thread or at the download link you used from the OPPO Digital web site -- you'll find the correct version numbers for all three parts of the firmware: Main, Loader, and Sub/MCU. Compare against what's in Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. If you've got a match then everything is up to date.
--Bob
post #10484 of 16446
I am a bit unclear on the playlist addition to the firmware. I don't quite get how it works. I tried it for the first time last night. I inserted a USB key with two directories to which I wanted to create playlist for. I went into the music user interface, went into the first directory and added all the files to the playlist using the options bottom menu. It added green check marks before song titles as I went along. Then how is the play list saved? When does the Oppo playlist directory gets created on the USB key, I never saw anything created on my USB key? How do we name the playlist? Can there be more than one playlist?
post #10485 of 16446
Oppo players never write anything to external devices. They only read them. The playlist is created in Oppo's on-board memory. I have not used it but I believe it is not permanent and only stays in effect until you turn the player off. You are limited to a single playlist. The next time you want to use a playlist you would create a new one. The playlist function seems to be a work in progress so you can expect it to change in the future with new firmware.
post #10486 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Oppo players never write anything to external devices.

 

Not quite true. If you have Grace Note turned on, OPPO will write a OPPO_Media_Info folder to your external device to hold the data.

post #10487 of 16446
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
post #10488 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Oppo players never write anything to external devices.

Not quite true. If you have Grace Note turned on, OPPO will write a OPPO_Media_Info folder to your external device to hold the data.

There's a separate Cache Media Info setting to control this. So you can still use Grace Note if you wish, without the cache folder being created to speed things up.
--Bob
post #10489 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Oppo players never write anything to external devices. They only read them. The playlist is created in Oppo's on-board memory. I have not used it but I believe it is not permanent and only stays in effect until you turn the player off. You are limited to a single playlist. The next time you want to use a playlist you would create a new one. The playlist function seems to be a work in progress so you can expect it to change in the future with new firmware.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait for the work to progress rolleyes.gif before expecting too much. In fact, what is there is then perfectly usable, as long as it is within its limitations.
post #10490 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Oppo players never write anything to external devices. They only read them. The playlist is created in Oppo's on-board memory. I have not used it but I believe it is not permanent and only stays in effect until you turn the player off. You are limited to a single playlist. The next time you want to use a playlist you would create a new one. The playlist function seems to be a work in progress so you can expect it to change in the future with new firmware.

The March firmware notes had this:
Quote:
3. Added a feature that allows the creation of playlists while accessing music files from local USB storage. When navigating these music files, pressing the OPTION button will bring up a menu with a prompt to either "Add to playlist" or "Goto playlist". The created playlist file is stored within the local USB storage, inside "OPPO_Media_Info/playlist".

-Bill
post #10491 of 16446
Why add Darbee to the Oppo? Because the result looks better. You might as well accuse Picasso of being unfaithful to the original women who posed for him. There's nothing important about accuracy or faithfulness to the original. Think of the related concept of what's "natural." Nothing is more natural than the shape of the hook in a tuberculosis bacterium and the perfectly fitted loop in our lung tissue into which it inserts itself. Is that good? tongue.gif
post #10492 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by era View Post

Why add Darbee to the Oppo? Because the result looks better. You might as well accuse Picasso of being unfaithful to the original women who posed for him. There's nothing important about accuracy or faithfulness to the original. Think of the related concept of what's "natural." Nothing is more natural than the shape of the hook in a tuberculosis bacterium and the perfectly fitted loop in our lung tissue into which it inserts itself. Is that good? tongue.gif

I had the Darbee for about a week and didn't notice a big difference and it only caused problems with my TV where I would get a blank screen and had to keep going into the TV menu to change things to get a picture. I sent it back pretty quickly because it caused more problems than helped and it costs a lot on top of everything else.
post #10493 of 16446
Oppo has posted the latest Official Release firmware, dated today. It is version 58-719, same as latest beta.
Edited by ed1 - 7/24/13 at 3:51pm
post #10494 of 16446
Downloaded and testing.
post #10495 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I am a bit unclear on the playlist addition to the firmware. I don't quite get how it works. I tried it for the first time last night. I inserted a USB key with two directories to which I wanted to create playlist for. I went into the music user interface, went into the first directory and added all the files to the playlist using the options bottom menu. It added green check marks before song titles as I went along. Then how is the play list saved? When does the Oppo playlist directory gets created on the USB key, I never saw anything created on my USB key? How do we name the playlist? Can there be more than one playlist?

As Bill McClain pointed out, the Oppo writes the contents of the Playlist onto the thumb drive. And so far, only one playlist can be created.

A few seconds after any given track starts playing, the screen changes from the list of tracks, to a "Playback" display. Once that display is showing, pressing the "Option" button gives you the ability to engage "Shuffle" or "Random" playback, as well as allowing you to remove the track from the Playlist.

It's not necessary to use the playlist function for playback, though. You can simply initiate track playback from the USB's primary folders... or however you've set up the thumb drive's contents. I devised a numerical naming scheme for the artists/tracks, so all I have on each of my thumb drives is one long list of tracks, which I can either play consecutively, or have the entire list "Shuffled". Or if I choose, I can devise a playlist.

Would the possibility of multiple playlists be desirable? Obviously.
post #10496 of 16446

Era said: "There's nothing important about accuracy or faithfulness to the original".

 

then why is it that the whole industry works by established standards in order to have as faithful a reproduction of the original as possible.?

if it's not important, then people should never pay any money to have a tv professionally calibrated, and you should allow your children

to play as they wish with adjustment controls. like saturation and brightness and color temp; without forgetting

your calibrations for the receiver and the subs...

 

Next time i visit a painting museum, i'll bring along my dark red sunglasses in.

 

let me take a guess: Darbee increases micro-contrast, without producing ringing.

post #10497 of 16446
"Official" Firmware 0719

A reminder for any newbies following along here from other countries. The firmware posted on the OPPO Digital web site here in the US is only for the North American model players (OPPO BDP-105, and BDP-103). If your player is from a different region, you'll need to wait a bit for the firmware to be released in your area. For example, the European model players (BDP-105EU, and BDP-103EU) will get the new firmware via the OPPO UK web site. Network install in your player will always look in the right place, so if you try a network install for one of those players and don't get anything yet, just be patient for a few days.

As with the recent Public Beta firmware, you need to do a Reset Factory Defaults after installing the "Official" 0719 firmware to insure proper operation.

On the first power up after the install you will be offered a chance to do the Recommended Reset, which is all you need to do. That Reset will preserve your existing network settings and Internet app log in credentials so you won't have to reenter those. But jot down your other settings before the install so you can get things back to normal more quickly.

Also please note that it will not be possible to rollback to older firmware after you install "Official" 0719. If that concerns you, you may want to wait a few days to see reactions posted here. Personally, I think 0719 is a significant improvement over the prior, 0422 Official firmware, and would recommend people upgrade soon.
--Bob
post #10498 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post

If I could quickly "pop" into the conversation for a second...

This is something that was driving me crazy as well- I noticed that the pops were happening as the receiver was locking onto the audio codec, and was quite noticeable when outputting the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (either PCM or bitstreaming allowed the pops). I'm guessing this is happening for you as well, as this is what happens the second before content is displayed. I am on a Marantz 7002 AVR, and my limited research pointed towards a firmware update for the AVR, but it wasn't serious enough to justify boxing that thing up and shipping it away. I just made sure that at the beginning of the playback, the volume was not too high.

The only difference in my situation is that I never got pops during normal playback (regardless of PCM or Bitstream playback). It only happened at the beginning of the content being played.

I will say that the pops were louder on my previous blu-ray player (a Panasonic) than they are on the Oppo. However, as they happened only when the receiver was locking onto the signal, not during normal playback, I chalked it up to HDMI "unruliness." I just stopped listening for it and became happier as a result.

Incidentally, does the pop happen when watching DVDs (more specifically, the lossy audio codecs)?

I know this post doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but I do agree with the theory that AVR firmware upgrades might help. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the result as I never went through with that solution myself.

I note this "pop" as well on my OPPO 105-Arcam AVR600 kit: it most notably occurs on Bluray playback when the material switches from the usual preamble stuff on the disc into the main program material. I noted from the Oppo on-screen info output that there was a audio codec change (to TrueHD/etc) at that point. I put it down to the slightly cantankerous Arcam (which may be the case from reviewing the various responses to this string).

Next time i hear this pop sound I will rerun it but with headphones attached to the OPPO to see if that manifests the same audible disruption.
post #10499 of 16446
FWIW, while the Oppo website lists the official Firmware as 58-719.....running the beta 58-719B the Oppo advertised a network update for 58-720 but then downloaded and installed 58-719.

I assume that 719/719B/720 are all the same??
post #10500 of 16446
^ Yes. I presume the 0720 identifier was just done to make sure folks who already installed 0719B and wanted to upgrade to "Official" firmware "just in case" would still get it -- i.e., network install would see it as newer.
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread