or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 372

post #11131 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Does anybody know if the picture settings remain in effect during netflix playback, picture feels a bit soft sometimes , feel like increasing the sharpness up a notch.
I have my display sharpness level set at +2 but beyond that it seems artifacts are introduced.
Thanks

Not all of the Netflix selections are in HD.
post #11132 of 16401
Just got my copy of Banshee Season 1 blu ray and it plays picture fine but NO sound. I tried the disk in my old LG blue ray/HD player and it plays fine. Just goes to show that paying a heap for a player doesn't mean it's perfect. I've updated to the newest beta firmware in the hope as that it incorporates a fix but no joy. I've also done a full factory reset and cleared the persistent atorage
post #11133 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Summary: the player can display "in band" metadata for music formats that support such in band information (tags) e.g. MP3, FLAC, WMA, AAC. But it cannot display "out of band" metadata for music formats that do not support in band data e.g. L16, WAV, AIFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

... but there is a big problem with relying only on an "in band" metadata transport mechanism: According to the UPnP/DLNA specifications the LPCM (L16) music format is the basic minimum "must" format that all players are required to support. However L16 is forbidden to carry metadata "in band" within the stream, so if you want to play an L16 track in a UPnP/DLNA compliant manner then you have to get the album art and track metadata by another "out of band" method.

The UPnP/DLNA standards define the way that a player shall get "out of band" metadata. Namely by parsing the "DIDL" payload data that is either passed a) from the control point to the player via the UPnP AVTransport::SetAVTransportURI method when executing push play, or b) from the media server to the player via the UPnP ContententDirectory::Browse or ContententDirectory::Search method when executing pull play.

Now don't get me wrong: The Oppo does play L16 tracks without problem, but it does not parse the provided "out of band" metadata. So the track sounds Ok, but it displays no information about Title/ Album/ Artist/ Genre, and there is no Album Art either, so it doesn't look Ok. In my opinion I would say this is an absolute borderline interpretation of compliance to the DLNA certification guidelines, and I am surprised that they earned a DLNA certificate on it.

Just so you know... I contacted Oppo service about this, giving some technical suggestions how they could improve. And they told me they have forward my suggestions to the development department, who will consider whether or not to incorporate those suggestions in a subsequent build. So we shall see...

DSC_0780.jpg 73k .jpg file
Edited by AndrewFG - 8/20/13 at 11:17am
post #11134 of 16401
Quick question - what buttons on the Logitech Harmony One (or similar) correspond to PAGE UP/PAGE DOWN on the Oppo remote?
post #11135 of 16401
Would any of you that have your BDP-103 connected via HDMI to an AVR capable of decoding Dolby TrueHD, and that have the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition disc be willing to run a fairly quick listening test for comparison to my results? Please PM me if you would.

Thanks!!!
Brett
post #11136 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Does anybody know if the picture settings remain in effect during netflix playback, picture feels a bit soft sometimes , feel like increasing the sharpness up a notch.
I have my display sharpness level set at +2 but beyond that it seems artifacts are introduced.
Thanks

The Marvel QDEO chip definitely uses DNR to smooth over the image resulting in a softer look. This is more pronounced the less the quality of the source is and thus particularly noticeable during netflix and standard DVD playback. It cannot be turned off. I, like you, have played around a lot with the sharpness on my display, and like you get artifacts around +3 or so. Some have bumped the sharpness to +1 in the Oppo itself but this causes immediate ringing for me and in any case, it goes against the grain with me to want to ADD a bunch more processing to fix what I feel is an excess processing issue.

Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with the QDEO chip. This is how it is meant to function and it doesn't seem likely Oppo is willing tamper with it. Perhaps they can't.

You can try watching netflix thru HDMI2 which bypasses the QDEO altogether.
You can try watching netflix in source direct mode.
You can try both together.

These things have helped to satisfy others with similar observations like yours. I myself have simply learned to live with the softer image. Perhaps I'll buy a Darblet some day.

Search "Sharpness" in this thread and you will see a lot of discussion about this and maybe some more things to try.

Hope that helps.
post #11137 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Does anybody know if the picture settings remain in effect during netflix playback, picture feels a bit soft sometimes , feel like increasing the sharpness up a notch.
I have my display sharpness level set at +2 but beyond that it seems artifacts are introduced.
Thanks

Sometimes Netflix drops down to a lower resolution in HD material if your network throughput slows down. I generally exit the movie and go back to the Netflix BROWSE screens, them resume the movie. This usually restores the level of detail I had before.
post #11138 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

The Marvel QDEO chip definitely uses DNR to smooth over the image resulting in a softer look. This is more pronounced the less the quality of the source is and thus particularly noticeable during netflix and standard DVD playback. It cannot be turned off. I, like you, have played around a lot with the sharpness on my display, and like you get artifacts around +3 or so. Some have bumped the sharpness to +1 in the Oppo itself but this causes immediate ringing for me and in any case, it goes against the grain with me to want to ADD a bunch more processing to fix what I feel is an excess processing issue.

Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with the QDEO chip. This is how it is meant to function and it doesn't seem likely Oppo is willing tamper with it. Perhaps they can't.

You can try watching netflix thru HDMI2 which bypasses the QDEO altogether.
You can try watching netflix in source direct mode.
You can try both together.

These things have helped to satisfy others with similar observations like yours. I myself have simply learned to live with the softer image. Perhaps I'll buy a Darblet some day.

Search "Sharpness" in this thread and you will see a lot of discussion about this and maybe some more things to try.

Hope that helps.

My understanding, which may be completely wrong, is that the undefeatable QDEO Noise Reduction on HDMI 1, at least theoretically, is very minimal to remove noise inherent in the video encoding process such as white Gaussian noise, block noise and mosquito noise, while having minimal side effects on the actual image. Apparently Oppo thought its effect was minimal enough to make it undefeatable on HDMI 1 even by selecting Source Direct mode on the 103/105.

I also find it interesting that on the 103/105 vs 93/95 that Oppo moved all the de-interlacing and scaling functions from the QDEO processor to the Media-Tek processor. The scaler on the 103/105 (on the Media-Tek processor) is supposedly the first non-ringing scaler in a consumer Blu-ray player. Apparently when Oppo thinks they can do better than Marvell on a particular process they don't hesitate to implement it. I think that supports the idea that they don't believe the undefeatable QDEO Noise Reduction is of any detriment to the image quality.
Edited by KC-Technerd - 8/20/13 at 10:34am
post #11139 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanoz View Post

Just got my copy of Banshee Season 1 blu ray and it plays picture fine but NO sound. I tried the disk in my old LG blue ray/HD player and it plays fine. Just goes to show that paying a heap for a player doesn't mean it's perfect. I've updated to the newest beta firmware in the hope as that it incorporates a fix but no joy. I've also done a full factory reset and cleared the persistent atorage

Welcome to AVSForum.

Are you asking for help? Is it possible this is a setup problem on your end? If you gave us more info on your gear and settings we might be able to help. Else you should contact OPPO directly.

-Bill
post #11140 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

I guess I should of told you how my 103 is connected to the receiver. I am using the RCA left and right cable to connect to the receiver (CD Out). I am not using the HDMI cable. This is for 2 channel music setup.

So I am thinking there might be something wrong with using the RCA Output. Take a look at the picture below of how I connected using the RCA cables on the back of the 103.

Look at the RED shape and click on the image to Enlarge:


Pops and clicks may be due to a ground loop or grounds being at different DC levels. In my case it is the cable TV ground being a different potential than the power ground. Are all of the components of your system connected to the same outlet? As Bob P suggested to me, disconnect everything and pug your oppo and your receiver into the same wall outlet. Connect the oppo to the receiver with only the RCA cable (should go to the receiver's CD INPUT not output). Play a shiny disc. Are the pops and clicks gone? One piece at a time reconnect the rest of your system, checking for the pops and clicks after every connection. Eventually you will find the offending device. Most likely the cable box. In my case I can connect the cable box as long as I don't connect the cable to it. If that's the case with you, a call to service is in order.
post #11141 of 16401
I'm rethinking an AVR purchase and wondering if it makes more sense to use the variable output of the Oppo instead as there's only one other source (FioS STB). $700 on a power amp > $700 on an AVR. Thoughts on running the Oppo this way? Everything I've read says it should work fine, minus the EQ type functions one would get in an AVR.
post #11142 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW View Post

I'm rethinking an AVR purchase and wondering if it makes more sense to use the variable output of the Oppo instead as there's only one other source (FioS STB). $700 on a power amp > $700 on an AVR. Thoughts on running the Oppo this way? Everything I've read says it should work fine, minus the EQ type functions one would get in an AVR.

Personally, I would spend the money on a good amp. The AVR will be outdated soon enough. The amp will keep on keepin' on. biggrin.gif
post #11143 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

Is Post #1 no longer being updated with links to firmware releases? I'd been checking there when I thought I might have missed an in-line announcement. But maybe that's no longer the place to look?

Ken

Hmm, looks like NEUROMANCER didn't get around to it this time. Neither the current "Official" 0719 firmware, nor the "Public Beta" 0808B firmware have been added to the first post, although he published all the details in contemporary posts in this thread when those firmware releases happened.

Anyway, if you have a US model player, you can get all the details as well as the download links from the OPPO Digital web site here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

--Bob

Now THAT'S weird! The firmware notes for the various releases after 0522B really were NOT showing in that first post yesterday, but they *ARE* showing in there today -- and yet the last edit date of that post is over a week ago!

AVS Gremlins.....
--Bob
post #11144 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Personally, I would spend the money on a good amp. The AVR will be outdated soon enough. The amp will keep on keepin' on. biggrin.gif

the irony is I just sold an Emotiva UPA-500 last week and an Adcom 125x7 on eBay over the weekend. Doh! The Adcom would have been perfect. I haven't shipped it yet as I just got payment today. It would be a jerk move to reneg on it. If only Emotiva made something in between their 80w and 200w models.
post #11145 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The effect of Dialog Normalization on output volume is to REDUCE the volume after a decode that applies it. 4dB is the usual amount. The expectation is that the user will then raise Main Volume if necessary for a pleasing listening level.

The meta data is only ever present in the Bitstream -- never in the LPCM that results from the decode.

Your result suggests your AVR is reporting the presence of Dialog Normalization meta-data in the Bitstream input, but for some reason isn't actually applying it.

On AIX's, Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Channel-ID track has 4dB Dialog Normalization encoded. The result SHOULD be that both LPCM and Bitstream output of that track produce the SAME volume, and that BOTH of those styles of output of that TrueHD track will be 4dB softer than the raw, LPCM 7.1 Channel-ID track.
--Bob

Bob,

I believe you may be confusing the metadata value (which is always zero or negative) with the adjustment value. Based on the following webpost and article, Dialog Normalization can either INCREASE or REDUCE the volume (based on whether the metadata value is above or below -31): Understanding Dialog Normalization & Dialogue Normalization: Friend or Foe. This would seem to be supported by the fact that my AVR indicates DIAL NORM numbers both positive and negative, +4 when playing many but not all Blu-ray discs, and -3 on audio from several TV stations (-4 on one). However on all of my reference Blu-Ray discs with pink noise tests (S&M 2nd Edition, DVE HD Basics and the THX tests on Terminator 2) the AVR indicates DIAL NORM +4. So I think the AVR is showing the correction or adjustment value rather than the metadata value. The part that is confusing is whether the +4 displayed actually indicates a metadata value above -31 (requiring a volume reduction), and the -3 indicates a metadata value below -31 (requiring a volume increase), or if it is the other way around (numbers indicating the actual adjustment made). I have read that most movies are supposed to have a -4 dB dialog normalization. It's rather confusing the way it is displayed and there is not one word about it in the AVR operator's manual.

I've got a question in to find out exactly what metadata value the S&M 2nd Edition disc was authored with for dialog normalization, but don't have an answer yet. I haven't found another disc that with a different DIAL NORM number that has a long enough continuous volume tone to get a good SPL measurement. I just discovered this difference in the bitstream and LPCM volumes accidentally because I was trying to verify my audio sync settings on the AVR with all the different codec/LPCM possibilities, otherwise I never would have noticed it.

Brett

EDIT: I just re-read the info on the dialog normalization, and you are absolutely right Bob. I was missing the fact the metadata value only had a range of 0 to -31. With -31 being the no adjustment value, adjustments can only be negative meaning a REDUCTION in volume just as you said. Now I am seriously confused by the AVR showing both + and - numbers for DIAL NORM. I am at a complete loss as to what those numbers are in reference to.

The confusion factor seems to be designed into this stuff! Frankly I think we'd ALL be better off if Dolby and DTS adopted a "simpler is better" approach. biggrin.gif

Just to let you know, I just rechecked with AIX, Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, and also with both the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and 7.1 level tests on Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, and everything seems to be working correctly for the OPPO connected via HDMI 1 output to my Anthem Statement D2v.

That is, for the TrueHD tracks the OPPO's LPCM output (decoding in the OPPO) has precisely the same speaker levels as the Bitstream output (decoding in the D2v) -- with the D2v showing the Dialog Normalization Offset value of +4dB for the Bitstream version of the input, when present.



I think it is pretty common for AVRs to provide one or more settings that affect whether stuff like this is actually enabled -- quite possibly as an undocumented side effect of what they SAY that setting is doing. The setting might not be labeled Dialog Normalization at all. Look for ANY setting that reduces processing of the HDMI Audio input, or that has to do with Dynamics adjustment for example.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 8/20/13 at 5:40pm
post #11146 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Just to let you know, I just rechecked with AIX, Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, and also with both the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and 7.1 level tests on Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, and everything seems to be working correctly for the OPPO connected via HDMI 1 output to my Anthem Statement D2v.

That is, for the TrueHD tracks the OPPO's LPCM output (decoding in the OPPO) has precisely the same speaker levels as the Bitstream output (decoding in the D2v) -- with the D2v showing the Dialog Normalization Offset value of +4dB for the Bitstream version of the input, when present.



I think it is pretty common for AVRs to provide one or more settings that affect whether stuff like this is actually enabled -- quite possibly as an undocumented side effect of what they SAY that setting is doing. The setting might not be labeled Dialog Normalization at all. Look for ANY setting that reduces processing of the HDMI Audio input, or that has to do with Dynamics adjustment for example.
--Bob

Thanks Bob!!! I just reran the tests on mine, and turned off every loudness and DRC setting I could find (including DRC on the Oppo), but I'm still 4 dB lower on LPCM than on Bitstream. I guess that's just the way it's going to be.

By the way, are you running 60-0808B firmware? I'm probably going to be switching back to 58-0719 temporarily to see if it fixes the click and pop issue that I'm occasionally getting on Dolby TrueHD bitstream. I may test the volume difference between bitstream and LPCM there also to verify.
Edited by KC-Technerd - 8/20/13 at 6:08pm
post #11147 of 16401
^ It may be that one of those very settings needs to be turned ON for Dialog Normalization metal-data to be taken into account when your AVR is decoding the Bitstream.

You might try checking in the Owner's Thread here for your model of AVR in case someone else has already figured this out. Although, frankly it wouldn't surprise me if none of them have spotted it yet. Or if they just assumed it was "normal" for LPCM and Bitstream input to result in different volume levels.
--Bob
post #11148 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ It may be that one of those very settings needs to be turned ON for Dialog Normalization metal-data to be taken into account when your AVR is decoding the Bitstream.

You might try checking in the Owner's Thread here for your model of AVR in case someone else has already figured this out. Although, frankly it wouldn't surprise me if none of them have spotted it yet. Or if they just assumed it was "normal" for LPCM and Bitstream input to result in different volume levels.
--Bob

I was the creator of the anticipation thread and have the second post on the owner's thread that includes the Pioneer Elite SC-77, and think I'm one of 5 or less that actually have an SC-77 so far. I am asking on that thread as well as the thread for the previous year's models. I only noticed it by accident while trying to set the audio sync. I certainly wasn't looking for it, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to. I haven't got the email together yet, but I am going to be asking Pioneer customer support about it along with a couple of other things.
post #11149 of 16401
^ I just found a statement regarding Dialog Normalization in the manual for a slightly older European Pioneer model, and it certainly makes it sound like Pioneer's implementation is to simply display an advisory, but not actually apply the Dialog Normalization. For example: DIAL NORM +4 means "turn up the volume 4 dB to match the average dialog level." That would fully explain the differences in volume I've experienced.
post #11150 of 16401
^ The way I read that is they are saying: "NOTE: Your volume has been lowered as part of the decode, so you should raise volume +4dB to compensate if you want to."

But in your case, the AVR is *NOT* lowering the volume the way it is supposed to. Which would appear to be just a bug in your AVR's decoding.
--Bob
post #11151 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

The Marvel QDEO chip definitely uses DNR to smooth over the image resulting in a softer look. This is more pronounced the less the quality of the source is and thus particularly noticeable during netflix and standard DVD playback. It cannot be turned off. I, like you, have played around a lot with the sharpness on my display, and like you get artifacts around +3 or so. Some have bumped the sharpness to +1 in the Oppo itself but this causes immediate ringing for me and in any case, it goes against the grain with me to want to ADD a bunch more processing to fix what I feel is an excess processing issue.

Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with the QDEO chip. This is how it is meant to function and it doesn't seem likely Oppo is willing tamper with it. Perhaps they can't.

You can try watching netflix thru HDMI2 which bypasses the QDEO altogether.
You can try watching netflix in source direct mode.
You can try both together.

These things have helped to satisfy others with similar observations like yours. I myself have simply learned to live with the softer image. Perhaps I'll buy a Darblet some day.

Search "Sharpness" in this thread and you will see a lot of discussion about this and maybe some more things to try.

Hope that helps.
Yes , you are right, the softening seems to be related with quality of the content, for example i was watching fraiser the other day, though the stream was showing 1080p in the info display, its obvious old shows werent shot in hd to begin with.
But i find myself going back to a lower sharpness setting on my display +1 or +2 .
Most of the time its not that apparent unless im looking for defects.
I had the color space at 444 previously , switched over to 422 recently, ever since i can really see what the Qdeo is capable of , havent seen this level of depth and detail before, makes the softness more obvious as the picture is so clear.
i have always been more of an audio buff but now i am really tempted to get a better display.
Something like a sony xbr or panny vt60 would be an amazing combo with oppo.
post #11152 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Personally, I would spend the money on a good amp. The AVR will be outdated soon enough. The amp will keep on keepin' on. biggrin.gif

I have a Pioneer SC65 AVR that I am going to use as a "Pre-Amp" with a new Wyred4Sound MMC-7 (7 channel, Class D amplifier - 220 wpc).

While the Pioneer SC65 has 130 wpc, I was looking for more punch with music via my OPPO - - especially multi-channel SACD's, which sound incredible! The Pioneer AVR will handle all switching and home theater work.

Although the OPPO is fully capable of "DSD" for SACD's - - sadly, my Pioneer AVR is not, therefore I leave everything "PCM" and let the OPPO handle the conversion. I'm not sure what the "sonic" difference would/could be with direct "DSD," but I would have liked to make that choice myself.

Lastly - - I'm not sure of the ability of the AVR to "update" any sound formats (DTS-HD, Dolby, etc.) and am pretty positive that the DAC on the OPPO is what it is and that you'd have to really go separates on everything to keep moving to the latest technology.

The "Pre-Amp" - "Amplifier" does give me some flexibility and it can be matched with a different "Pre-Amp" down the road.

Always the search for the Holy Grail....and a better music & home theater experience!
post #11153 of 16401
I just attempted to use the Cinemanow app on the 103. The 103 shows up as a device on my account online but when I look at my library on the 103 it shows nothing there. On the computer all the library and the device shows so they are definitely on the same account. Cinemanow help had me try several things but nothing worked. Anyone else had this problem with the 103 and Cinemanow. I live in the US so I know it isn't a country problem. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
post #11154 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Lastly - - I'm not sure of the ability of the AVR to "update" any sound formats (DTS-HD, Dolby, etc.) and am pretty positive that the DAC on the OPPO is what it is and that you'd have to really go separates on everything to keep moving to the latest technology.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ability of the AVR to "update" any sound formats (DTS-HD, Dolby, etc.)".
post #11155 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ability of the AVR to "update" any sound formats (DTS-HD, Dolby, etc.)".

Probably a misunderstanding on my part. I checked with Pioneer Support and the sound formats are pretty much fixed (DTS-HD, Dolby, NEO, etc.)

AVR firmware updates only deal with some of the other "bells & whistles" that the receiver provides - - HTC, Pandora, Apple lossless files, Ipod connectivity and the like.

Hardware wise, the "DAC" is the "DAC" - - whether it be the AVR or the OPPO.

This is my first experience with "separates" - - so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

The goal is to keep up with the latest technology at the lowest cost. I believe "separates" can provide this so I guess I'd be looking at a pre-amp, DAC Converter and the like down the road.

I'm very happy with my speakers (Paradigm) and now the Wyred4Sound amplifier should provide ample power for my man cave for years to come. And maybe I can slowly convert to a "separates" environment and even consider high end "used" equipment that I would never be able to afford new.

Trying to keep my options open and perfect the sound. Thx for your post.
post #11156 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Ellis View Post

Pops and clicks may be due to a ground loop or grounds being at different DC levels. In my case it is the cable TV ground being a different potential than the power ground. Are all of the components of your system connected to the same outlet? As Bob P suggested to me, disconnect everything and pug your oppo and your receiver into the same wall outlet. Connect the oppo to the receiver with only the RCA cable (should go to the receiver's CD INPUT not output). Play a shiny disc. Are the pops and clicks gone? One piece at a time reconnect the rest of your system, checking for the pops and clicks after every connection. Eventually you will find the offending device. Most likely the cable box. In my case I can connect the cable box as long as I don't connect the cable to it. If that's the case with you, a call to service is in order.


It's not the ground loop because I do not hear any hum from the speakers. I had ground loop problems in my previous home and I can always hear the hum from my speakers even when the volume is at low level. At high volume, you can REALLY hear the hum from the ground loop.

When I am listening to a CD, the 103 sounds fantastic! The problem is when you are listening to the very last song and the 103 stop the CD after the last song, you can here the static pop or click sounds. I can really hear the static pop or click sounds when I turn up the volume to the max. I even tried different RCA cables and still did not solve the static pop or click sounds.

So I decided to try a different CD player using the RCA connection to see if I still hear the static pop or click sounds. To my surprise, I did not hear the static pop or click sounds from my other universal player (Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi). The DV-79AVi was dead quiet after the last song when the 103 automatic stop the CD. I had the volume crank all the way to the max on the receiver and heard absolutely nothing. At the very end of the song, I put my ear right next to the tweeter but there was not static pop or click on the DV-79AVi.

Getting back to the 103. When I use the HDMI cable and listen to CD music, I did not hear a static pop or click sounds at all. However, using the Left and Right analog with the 103 seems to sounds much better than using the HDMI cable. The DAC within the 103 sounds really good but only through using the Analog connection Left and Right rca on the back of the 103.


I am thinking OPPO sent me a defective 103.
post #11157 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I checked with Pioneer Support and the sound formats are pretty much fixed (DTS-HD, Dolby, NEO, etc.)

AVR firmware updates only deal with some of the other "bells & whistles" that the receiver provides - - HTC, Pandora, Apple lossless files, Ipod connectivity and the like.

Oh ok. I think I understand now. You mean if Dolby suddenly came along with a "Dolby Digital Super Mega-Deluxe Higher-Than-High Definition Truer-Than-Life Audio 17.8" encoding format, the Pioneer couldn't be upgraded to decode it by a firmware update. I think that's pretty much true of any AVR, pre-pro, etc. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that any AVR, pre-pro, etc. that wasn't built with (meaning built prior to) Dolby TrueHD decoding or DTS-HD Master was able to be upgraded to decode those codecs. If some new codec for encoding came along (which I'm not really anticipating right now), I believe you would have to buy a new unit to decode it.
post #11158 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Oh ok. I think I understand now. You mean if Dolby suddenly came along with a "Dolby Digital Super Mega-Deluxe Higher-Than-High Definition Truer-Than-Life Audio 17.8" encoding format, the Pioneer couldn't be upgraded to decode it by a firmware update. I think that's pretty much true of any AVR, pre-pro, etc. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that any AVR, pre-pro, etc. that wasn't built with (meaning built prior to) Dolby TrueHD decoding or DTS-HD Master was able to be upgraded to decode those codecs. If some new codec for encoding came along (which I'm not really anticipating right now), I believe you would have to buy a new unit to decode it.

Behold...Dolby Atmos! eek.gif
post #11159 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I have had several BD players including Samsung, LG and Panasonic but the Oppo seems to be the slowest at coming out of "Pause". Anyone know why the Oppo 103 takes a few seconds to "Play" after being paused for a few minutes? All my other BD players immediately play when coming out of pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Can't speak to the other players, but the Oppo is designed to spin down the optical drive after a few minutes in pause. You're simply waiting for it to spin back up.

I'm glad you posted this. When my old Blu-ray player went into screen-saver while in pause, it took pressing "Play" twice to restore playback. The first took it out of screen saver, and the second un-paused it. So of course I was doing this when the BDP-103 went into screen-saver, and the delay was making me think it was doing the same thing as my old player.
post #11160 of 16401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Behold...Dolby Atmos! eek.gif

64 channels? My house isn't big enough for that many speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread