or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 469

post #14041 of 16420
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusdoan View Post

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the 103 supports the h.265 and/or VP9 video codecs? Trying to read those via SMB over the network but the Oppo can't open them.

Not that I am aware of. Player was designed around DVD-Video and Blu-ray decoding, so MPEG-2 and h.264 (AVC/VC-1).
post #14042 of 16420
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Sorry. Not to beat a dead horse with my constant questioning, but did the 103 get the newest netflix UI update yet for those of you on the latest firmware? I'm hoping to take advantage of it even though I'm on the old firmware that still allowed playback of sacd-r's.

The player was upgraded to the Netlix interface that has a Family mode, if this is what you are asking about.
post #14043 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player was upgraded to the Netlix interface that has a Family mode, if this is what you are asking about.

I was referring to what Netflix is calling their "cinematic" interface upgrade here: http://blog.netflix.com/2013/11/netflix-on-tv-gets-major-makeover.html

Apologies for the confusion.
post #14044 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

What color space are you using and are you using the latest firmware?

I'm not using the latest firmware. I'm probably two iterations behind.

I didn't see any reason to update the firmware since everything seems to work fine for now.

I am using 4:4:4.
post #14045 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Yes it has that feature, though I find it more annoying than anything else.

What feature? Are you referring to the new interface detailed in the link I posted? This is an interface update that supposedly rolled out a few weeks ago.
post #14046 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

What feature? Are you referring to the new interface detailed in the link I posted? This is an interface update that supposedly rolled out a few weeks ago.

I just turned on my system to double check... I don't see the annoying giant preview menu there, it seems to only be on the NF site when I browse on my pc.
So I was actually wrong. The answer is NO.

EDIT!!!: Now I think NF is doing some goofy stuff, because I can't find that feature on the website or on the 103, and I KNOW for fact I saw it on one of them.
Perhaps they took it away temporarily or something is off with the servers. NF manages to annoy me constantly with their UI. It's just horrible IMHO.
Edited by Smarty-pants - 1/3/14 at 6:38pm
post #14047 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by holisticmonkey View Post

Thanks again for being so responsive. I'm not sure about the root issue here but 10ms is extremely perceptible (to myself and other viewers... with a range of 30ms I see mouth movements that don't start until after the first few words are spoken or entire sentences that you don't hear until after the mouth has stopped moving). I have no way of measuring the real deltas at the moment but the feedback from you and other parties makes me suspect that the 10ms steps in my OPPO are larger than 10ms... though that would be a non-trivial bug that I'd think others would have reported by now.

I will note that it's less obvious if I skew to larger positive values, so my constant need to adjust may have been in part that I was tuning it to the minimum viable offset. However, the first film I tested after getting your response required +70ms, the one after that didn't get close to matching up until I set it back to +30ms... So far I've been unable to watch two films in a row without spending the first 10 minutes trying to find long speaking sections and fiddle with the offsets.

I did get a response from the OPPO support staff but it was basically dismissive of my complaint (telling me I must have post processing turned on). At this point I'm frustrated enough to give up and switch back to the BDP-83, maybe keeping this player around for 3d films only.

I don't even think any sync checking devices would help given that they're against registration content (if I understand correctly). Since I have variance across content, I can't imagine it would do me any good.

Separately, I still think no offset should be necessary on the OPPO side. Regardless of the delay processing the image on the display, I would expect it to be consistent with high def content from my Roku (through AV) vs content from the OPPO also through AV. It's clearly not the case, no other media source going through my AV suffers from this.

Another thing you could try if you haven't already is the lip sync on your AVR if your model has it.
In OSD under Hardware Setup --->HDMI---->Lip Sync ON/OFF
Worth a try.
Edited by Kamikaze13 - 1/3/14 at 6:12pm
post #14048 of 16420
Hi everyone, it has been 7 years since I upgraded our main system and I am getting a crash course in many areas. I have A new Denon AVR-X3000, Panasonic Vt60 and Tivo 4 Premiere. I already have a Panasonic BDT500 which I hoped to modify to makeot region free.

My question is, if I were to purchase the Oppo should I connect the Tivo to the Oppo, to let it process the video, and then connect the Oppo to the AVR? I am truthfully a little new at figuring out how to 'force' a certain components to process video. If I want the Oppo I am still considering to do it, and change the settings of the TV to not upscale anything?

The Tivo gives me options of what resolution to output. It says if I check all of the resolutions listed, the TV will scale the images. But I'd really want the Oppo or AVR to do it, correct? so how would I get the TV and AVR to leave the Tivo output alone (We also access Fios and Netflix through Tivo atm). Lastly is the OPPO's capability yo improve streaming and regular FIOS quality worth $400 more or can similar results be obtained if I connect the Tivo to the BDT500 I already own?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #14049 of 16420
Hi There!

Earlier I asked about Region Free Mod for the 103D and was sent a link, which I cannot find, but subsequently I see someone talking about having tried 2 and them not working. Has anyone got any of the mods working properly and if so which ones specifically so I can make sure I order something that works?
Prefer External, but can do internal as I did for my last 2 oppo's
post #14050 of 16420
You can't connect the TIVO to the Panasonic BDT500. It does not have an HDMI input. If getting the Oppo. I would set the TV to output in Native Resolution. Although I don't run my Tivo into the Oppo 103, I do run it natively to my TV to scale.

S~
post #14051 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Hi There!

Earlier I asked about Region Free Mod for the 103D and was sent a link, which I cannot find, but subsequently I see someone talking about having tried 2 and them not working. Has anyone got any of the mods working properly and if so which ones specifically so I can make sure I order something that works?
Prefer External, but can do internal as I did for my last 2 oppo's


Go to this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I tried it on my Oppo 103 externally and it worked fine. Then, I installed it internal and it is working fine too. I don't see why it wouldn't work with 103D.
post #14052 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Hi There!

Earlier I asked about Region Free Mod for the 103D and was sent a link, which I cannot find, but subsequently I see someone talking about having tried 2 and them not working. Has anyone got any of the mods working properly and if so which ones specifically so I can make sure I order something that works?
Prefer External, but can do internal as I did for my last 2 oppo's

I have had a JVB Digital all regions mod in my 103 since April and it works perfectly. Note that the page I linked to indicates that there is a JVB Digital modification chip available for the 103D. I can't imagine that such a chip wouldn't work as well in your 103D as mine has in my 103.
post #14053 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Hi There!

Earlier I asked about Region Free Mod for the 103D and was sent a link, which I cannot find, but subsequently I see someone talking about having tried 2 and them not working. Has anyone got any of the mods working properly and if so which ones specifically so I can make sure I order something that works?
Prefer External, but can do internal as I did for my last 2 oppo's
Why not ask your question within the dedicated Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread topic?
post #14054 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You can't connect the TIVO to the Panasonic BDT500. It does not have an HDMI input. If getting the Oppo. I would set the TV to output in Native Resolution. Although I don't run my Tivo into the Oppo 103, I do run it natively to my TV to scale.

S~

Hi Teach, thanks- I am curious-is your TV's scaling capability superior to that of the Oppo, and that is why you let the TV scale the output from the Tivo, or are you just out of ports on Oppo 103? Thanks again for your help.
post #14055 of 16420
I have an Oppo BDP-93 connected via digital optical/coax to an older Sunfire receiver, which lacks HDMI inputs. I am thinking about updating the player to the 103 to take advantage of its processing, connectivity, and better streaming options. I will likely connect it to the Sunfire using the 5.1 analog connections, and use the Sunfire mainly as an amplifier. I mostly use this setup for dvd/bluray movies, cable TV, and streaming (Netflix, Amazon). I know that the BDP-105 has better analog audio than the 103. Am I likely to hear a difference between the two players for movies, TV, and streaming? I'm probably more interested in movie dialog than music or sound effects, as I am somewhat hard of hearing and often miss some of the dialog.
post #14056 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

I have an Oppo BDP-93 connected via digital optical/coax to an older Sunfire receiver, which lacks HDMI inputs. I am thinking about updating the player to the 103 to take advantage of its processing, connectivity, and better streaming options. I will likely connect it to the Sunfire using the 5.1 analog connections, and use the Sunfire mainly as an amplifier. I mostly use this setup for dvd/bluray movies, cable TV, and streaming (Netflix, Amazon). I know that the BDP-105 has better analog audio than the 103. Am I likely to hear a difference between the two players for movies, TV, and streaming? I'm probably more interested in movie dialog than music or sound effects, as I am somewhat hard of hearing and often miss some of the dialog.

I would say for the most part you are probably fine with -103.
The analog audio in the -105 is better, but you should have some really nice amps and speakers to bring out that better sound,
not to mention a well treated and tailored room for analog audio.
For someone who needs the best clarity in dialog like you mention, I think the best thing for you to consider after getting the player is to possibly invest in a newer AVR that has good digital room correction software like Audyssey or something similar. It can make a big difference in the detail of your audio.
Also, your speakers can a big factor too... the better your speakers are, the better the clarity will be, ESPECIALLY the center channel speaker. Most of the dialog in surround sound movies comes from the center channel.
post #14057 of 16420
Anyone with,the new beta FW seeing playback problems? I'm getting hick ups on both bluray and SACD. Playback seems to stop momentarily and sometimes,pickup where it left off and sometimes after skipping ahead a few seconds. I backup to before the skip and the disc replays through where the skip occurred fine. I'm going back to the official FW.and see if maybe my player is going on me.
post #14058 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post

Anyone with,the new beta FW seeing playback problems? I'm getting hick ups on both bluray and SACD. Playback seems to stop momentarily and sometimes,pickup where it left off and sometimes after skipping ahead a few seconds. I backup to before the skip and the disc replays through where the skip occurred fine. I'm going back to the official FW.and see if maybe my player is going on me.

Hello to all Oppo users.

I have the new beta installed in my Oppo 103EU. I have no problems on Bluray, Bluray-Audio (YES, Close to the Edge), SACD (Genesis, Nursery Crime, Lamb lies down, Foxtrott), DVD-Audio ( King Crimson, Lizzard, Larks' tongues in aspic). Everything works fine.

Greetings from Germany
post #14059 of 16420
Settings for BDP-103 EU for playing very old US NTSC DVDs

I have a European player. And 95% of my material is either European PAL DVD or Blu-Ray. I have the 103 set to always convert to 24p. The reason for this is that my TV has a two frame input buffer, and so my receiver needs to be set for 83mSec a/v sync delay to compensate for the TV frame buffer. If I would set the 103's 24p conversion to Auto, then I would have to readjust the receiver's a/v sync delay every time the player switches between 24p and 50hz PAL output. This setup works for me for approximately 95% of my usage.

However, yesterday I tried to watch a 1982 NTSC DVD recording (from the N.Y. Met. Opera), and frankly the picture experience was totally ghastly (motion smearing, "Never Twice the Same Color", you name it). So my question is whether this is due to my having set the 103 to always convert to 24p? Or is there a better setting? And is there another setting that does not also require me to readjust the a/v sync delay on the receiver. I don't want to fiddle about with all these settings everytime I insert a disk. (Not to mention the topic of WAF...)
post #14060 of 16420
AndrewFG,

Do you habe the latest firmware installed?
If not, I would advise to do it, to reset and then see if the problem still appears.
post #14061 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

However, yesterday I tried to watch a 1982 NTSC DVD recording (from the N.Y. Met. Opera), and frankly the picture experience was totally ghastly (motion smearing, "Never Twice the Same Color", you name it). So my question is whether this is due to my having set the 103 to always convert to 24p? Or is there a better setting? And is there another setting that does not also require me to readjust the a/v sync delay on the receiver. I don't want to fiddle about with all these settings everytime I insert a disk. (Not to mention the topic of WAF...)
How sure are you that this particular DVD contains 3:2 pull-down. It might be 'pure interlaced'. In which case forcing 24p/24Hz will make it look pants!
post #14062 of 16420
Hello everyone,

New first time Oppo owner

Been reading this thread from the begining but only 188 pages in, so forgive me if I nissed something, I have the following components and trying to figure out the best connection route

AT&T Uverse box which I want to run to the OPPO
Dennon AVR 988

Since I do not care about 3d as my tv is not 3d, which is the best option, run everything through the Dennon out to the tv (hoping I can disable the dennon's video processing) or
split the connection from the oppo to the TV and use hdmi 2 to send audio to the dennon?

In my reading so far, there was huge discussions involving lip sync issues and sharpness settings with the qdeo processors have these been resolved or do the problems still exsist?

Any input and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Chris
post #14063 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

So my question is whether this is due to my having set the 103 to always convert to 24p? Or is there a better setting?

Very likely. Not all NTSC titles can use the 24p setting. See the -93 FAQ for details: Is DVD 24hz conversion supported?

I had thought the setting had no effect on PAL DVD or Blu-ray. Since NTSC is only 5% of your material, leaving DVD 24p OFF would be the easy solution if you don't to manually adjust it.

-Bill
post #14064 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjax View Post

Hello everyone,

New first time Oppo owner

Been reading this thread from the begining but only 188 pages in, so forgive me if I nissed something, I have the following components and trying to figure out the best connection route

AT&T Uverse box which I want to run to the OPPO
Dennon AVR 988

Since I do not care about 3d as my tv is not 3d, which is the best option, run everything through the Dennon out to the tv (hoping I can disable the dennon's video processing) or
split the connection from the oppo to the TV and use hdmi 2 to send audio to the dennon?

In my reading so far, there was huge discussions involving lip sync issues and sharpness settings with the qdeo processors have these been resolved or do the problems still exsist?

Any input and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

There's a few different connection methods that can be made with your setup. It all depends on the inputs of your Denon.

Personally, I would go AT&T Uverse to HDMI Back Input on the 103. Then, HDMI 1 Out from the 103 to the TV and HDMI 2 Out to the Denon.

Or, go Uverse to HDMI 1 Back Input. Then, HDMI 1 Output to the Denon. From the Denon to the TV for video.
post #14065 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post

Anyone with,the new beta FW seeing playback problems? I'm getting hick ups on both bluray and SACD. Playback seems to stop momentarily and sometimes,pickup where it left off and sometimes after skipping ahead a few seconds. I backup to before the skip and the disc replays through where the skip occurred fine. I'm going back to the official FW.and see if maybe my player is going on me.
No problems so far. You might want to reset your player to factory and see if that takes care of the issue.
post #14066 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

There's a few different connection methods that can be made with your setup. It all depends on the inputs of your Denon.

Personally, I would go AT&T Uverse to HDMI Back Input on the 103. Then, HDMI 1 Out from the 103 to the TV and HDMI 2 Out to the Denon.

Or, go Uverse to HDMI 1 Back Input. Then, HDMI 1 Output to the Denon. From the Denon to the TV for video.

I followed your second suggestion, the only setting I could find in the Denon regarding video processing was to turn IP scaler on or off. I changed it
To off, hoping that turned off the video processing
post #14067 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjax View Post

I followed your second suggestion, the only setting I could find in the Denon regarding video processing was to turn IP scaler on or off. I changed it
To off, hoping that turned off the video processing

Are you happy with the results? There's always another way, another option.
post #14068 of 16420
Of the top high end blu ray players, the only one without hdmi inputs is the Marantz right...

Marantz 7007
Cambridge 752
Oppo 103/5
post #14069 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Are you happy with the results? There's always another way, another option.

So far things appear to be fine, since I used the oppo HDMI 1 out, do I need to change the sharpness setting to +1 or has this issue been
fixed? I have my denon set to auto lip sync so far so good, but keeping my eye open for any potential issue. Thanks for your help so far
post #14070 of 16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Of the top high end blu ray players, the only one without hdmi inputs is the Marantz right...

Marantz 7007
Cambridge 752
Oppo 103/5

Correct.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread