or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 472

post #14131 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

Ditto here. Even with a new Pioneer Elite SC-77, which others also claim is "harsh" until it "burns in".
This kinds of stuff is exactly why I cringe at anyone claiming that I am some kind of audiophile. That word comes with WAAY too much cork-sniffing associations these days. What the heck does "harsh" mean, anyway? Esthers of leather and tobacco?

Everytime I read the word "harsh," I think of fingernails on a chalkboard. eek.gif
post #14132 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Everytime I read the word "harsh," I think of fingernails on a chalkboard. eek.gif
I suppose that would be "harsh".
So would any number of types of horns playing higher in their registers. If you are going for fidelity, the playback of such material SHOULD be "harsh". Even a live chorus/choir can sound "harsh", and induce "ear fatigue" (my def: "Sick of Listening"). But should our systems roll that harshness off? Sure - as long as we aren't also pretending to care about fidelity.
post #14133 of 16383

Harshness isn't there, or shouldn't be there every time a horn instrument is recorded playing higher notes.  It would depend on many things before it ever got to your system, where speakers would have the lion's share of responsibility regarding harshness.  I would have doubts that a modern AVR would ever add brightness or harshness, don't believe everything you read.

post #14134 of 16383

Harmony Touch with my Oppo BDP103 & Simaudio P5 preamp

I'm trying to set up a new Harmony Touch with my Oppo BDP103 & Simaudio P5 preamp. The only choices that show up for both units are not the correct ones. The Oppo shows up as a home theater & the simaudio preamp shows up as an A/V receiver. Both will need major modifications if I would choose them. I see that others have said that the Oppo BDP103 shows up, but is it showing up as a DVD player or something else?

Thanks

post #14135 of 16383

Oppo BDP-103/105 - playing music through the USB port

Playing music through the USB port on the Oppo BDP103 requires having the TV on to navigate the file system. The Oppo android app has no function to do this as I would have expected. Is there another way to make this operation less painful? It would help if there was a way to create more than one playlist. Anyone have any ideas? Or an app for this?

Thanks

post #14136 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidancer View Post

If sound is an issue, leave your Oppo on all the time. It sounds a little harsh the first half hour, and opens up all the way to a full day or two. Probably the easiest and cheapest tweak for improving the sound~
I haven't ever noticed anything like this on my BDP-103. Sounds exactly the same to me when I power it up as it does many hours later. I mean, we're not talking about a product with tubes in it, this is solid state electronics.
post #14137 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Everytime I read the word "harsh," I think of fingernails on a chalkboard. eek.gif

You and me, partner! I learned a long ago that I have to ignore the Golden Ear crowd, for down this road lies madness. Must run now, and buy a $30,000, soldered with gold, analog amplifier. Hey, and how about those 40 year old vinyl discs? smile.gif
post #14138 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

Harshness isn't there, or shouldn't be there every time a horn instrument is recorded playing higher notes.  It would depend on many things before it ever got to your system, where speakers would have the lion's share of responsibility regarding harshness.  I would have doubts that a modern AVR would ever add brightness or harshness, don't believe everything you read.
If the harshness is there LIVE, then it dang well ought to be there when played back. You ever been in a live band concert before?
post #14139 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman777 View Post

I'm trying to set up a new Harmony Touch with my Oppo BDP103 & Simaudio P5 preamp. The only choices that show up for both units are not the correct ones. The Oppo shows up as a home theater & the simaudio preamp shows up as an A/V receiver. Both will need major modifications if I would choose them. I see that others have said that the Oppo BDP103 shows up, but is it showing up as a DVD player or something else?
Thanks

It should be available under their category of "Mini System". Evidently they had to do that since their disc player category does not envisage a world where a disc player might have "inputs" that need to be selected.
--Bob
post #14140 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman777 View Post

Playing music through the USB port on the Oppo BDP103 requires having the TV on to navigate the file system. The Oppo android app has no function to do this as I would have expected. Is there another way to make this operation less painful? It would help if there was a way to create more than one playlist. Anyone have any ideas? Or an app for this?
Thanks

The Android app you've found was actually designed around the limited app communication capabilities of the 93/95 players. There's a newer iOS app specifically for the 103/105/103D that should make this easier for you. An Android version of that is planned but not released yet.
--Bob
post #14141 of 16383
Thanks Bob, I installed it on an old iphone. It took some time to find the oppo, but it works.
post #14142 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It should be available under their category of "Mini System". Evidently they had to do that since their disc player category does not envisage a world where a disc player might have "inputs" that need to be selected.
--Bob

Sounds reasonable for the Oppo, but they must have updated the Simaudio P5 since I set up my Harmony One. Originally it was correct with all the good controls.
post #14143 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ If you use Quick Start mode in the 103, you will want to use the USB 2 jack on the back panel for this. With Quick Start the USB 1 jack on the pack panel remains powered even while the player is "OFF". This is to keep the Wifi dongle live when plugged in to USB 1. If you use Energy Efficient mode then all the jacks power down when the player is "OFF".
--Bob

Thanks Bob, got it working.  I had a couple of old cables in the bottom of my cable box that I was able to splice together for a working solution.  For anyone curious, a typical USB cable has 4 wires plus two kinds of shield.  To splice with a mini jack cable you need to know that the red wire is 5 volts positive and the black is ground.  The other 2 are for communication so for this application can be isolated and taped up and the shields are not needed so can be nipped off.  But I'd double check any info and make sure you are comfortable doing this, YMMV.  It worked fine this way for me, thanks again to all.

post #14144 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman777 View Post

Playing music through the USB port on the Oppo BDP103 requires having the TV on to navigate the file system. The Oppo android app has no function to do this as I would have expected. Is there another way to make this operation less painful? It would help if there was a way to create more than one playlist. Anyone have any ideas? Or an app for this?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Android app you've found was actually designed around the limited app communication capabilities of the 93/95 players. There's a newer iOS app specifically for the 103/105/103D that should make this easier for you. An Android version of that is planned but not released yet.
--Bob

The Media Control App for Android is available for download now via the Oppo support page. Has been for a while. wink.gif
post #14145 of 16383
^ See, now if I'd told him that, his old iPhone would still be gathering dust....

(In case it isn't obvious to readers, I'm not an Android user.)
--Bob
post #14146 of 16383
^Due to your hard work and dedication, you get a mulligan on this one Bob biggrin.gif
post #14147 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

Ditto here. Even with a new Pioneer Elite SC-77, which others also claim is "harsh" until it "burns in".
This kinds of stuff is exactly why I cringe at anyone claiming that I am some kind of audiophile. That word comes with WAAY too much cork-sniffing associations these days. What the heck does "harsh" mean, anyway? Esthers of leather and tobacco?

+1
post #14148 of 16383
Just got one of these today.... Was wondering the best way to connect it to take full advantage to the audio and video.
My devices are:
TV
Comcast box
Pioneer receiver
Apple TV
Since my receiver was about as much as this oppo and 3 years old in want take advantage of the oppo.
Can someone walk me through the best setup?
Thanks
post #14149 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It should be available under their category of "Mini System". Evidently they had to do that since their disc player category does not envisage a world where a disc player might have "inputs" that need to be selected.
--Bob
Try telling Harmony you have an Oppo 83 and you will have all the controls on the remote assigned properly.
post #14150 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Just got one of these today.... Was wondering the best way to connect it to take full advantage to the audio and video.
My devices are:
TV
Comcast box
Pioneer receiver
Apple TV
Since my receiver was about as much as this oppo and 3 years old in want take advantage of the oppo.
Can someone walk me through the best setup?
Thanks

Hook the TV to the HDMI 1 out. Hook the Pioneer receiver to HDMI 2 out unless you want to use the Oppo as a preamp. If you want to do that hook the receiver to the multi channel audio outs and adjust the audio accordingly. Hook the Comcast box and the Apple TV to HDMI inputs.

post #14151 of 16383
For those not hearing a difference over a half hour from turn on, I would guess that some have higher resolution stereo equipment, or perhaps simply listen more definitively than others. It sounds harsh compared to when it hits it's operating level, simple fact. If you listen to mostly DVD's, it would not be as noticeable as music. Any stereo electronics, no matter what level, takes about a half an hour to start opening up for technical reasons that I would guess are of no interest to those not hearing a difference between turn on and an hour or a day later. My suggestion for leaving them on was for those wishing to hear more of what the Oppo's are capable of. It is a free "tweak". Oppo's are sonically incredible sounding pieces of equipment for those wanting a high level of audio performance, in addition to all the video capabilities at their price point.

Sonic improvement didn't seem to slow many of us down back when we had to pay $400 to upgrade an 83 to an 83SE simply for the audio upgraded performance. Oppo also has commented that many have heard a more musical result from attached wav or flac's than the original CD, which some computer guys on here stated wasn't possible. Leave in on for a day and take a listen to music. Rip one CD as a flac or wav on a thumb drive and plug it in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....
post #14152 of 16383
New problem since I have switched to sending my directTV through the Oppo back input:

DirecttV (native) to Oppo 103 input on back (1080P) to Yamaha A3030 (pass through) to Panasonic P60GT30

Problem:
After switching back and forth between 2 channels several times over the course of the evening (using the previous channel function on the remote), The picture begins to stutter (very noticeable on scrolling score bar on the bottom of the screen during a football game). The fix is to shut down the Oppo and then turn it back on.

This never happened when I left the Oppo out of the chain in the past.

Any ideas? ....I already tried resetting the Oppo and reapplying my settings.
post #14153 of 16383
Different A/V sync delay depending on the source material ??

In an earlier post I mentioned that my TV (a Sony) seems to have an input frame buffer of two frames. This means that when it is playing Blu-ray material at 24fps the input buffer requires 83mSec to fill, whereas when it is playing PAL DVD material at 50Hz the input buffer requires only 40mSec to fill.

So my question is if it is possible for the Oppo to have two different A/V sync delay settings that are selected depending on whether the unit is playing a Blu-Ray or a DVD ??
post #14154 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

New problem since I have switched to sending my directTV through the Oppo back input:

DirecttV (native) to Oppo 103 input on back (1080P) to Yamaha A3030 (pass through) to Panasonic P60GT30

Problem:
After switching back and forth between 2 channels several times over the course of the evening (using the previous channel function on the remote), The picture begins to stutter (very noticeable on scrolling score bar on the bottom of the screen during a football game). The fix is to shut down the Oppo and then turn it back on.

This never happened when I left the Oppo out of the chain in the past.

Any ideas? ....I already tried resetting the Oppo and reapplying my settings.

When that happens, try just switching the Oppo to "blu-ray player" input then back to HDMI again, that should resolve it. As to why it does that, I'll refer you to Oppo support.
post #14155 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidancer View Post

Any stereo electronics, no matter what level, takes about a half an hour to start opening up for technical reasons that I would guess are of no interest to those not hearing a difference between turn on and an hour or a day later.

Which components need to "warm up?" Coils? Capacitors? Maybe the resistors need to warm up to their full potential of resisting.

As an electronics tech, I never told a pilot to turn on my gear for a half hour to warm it up so it performs at spec.
post #14156 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

What disc is it?
Did you turn on HDCD decoding in the player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

I believe there is a HDCD on/on in the setup menu. Try that?

Edit- beat me to it

HDCD decoding on the player was turned on. I don't think that should have anything to do with whether the player could identify the CD layer, as even with HDCD encoding it is supposed to be compatible with any CD player. My AVR does not have HDCD decoding.

The disc is Elgar - Enigma Variations Vaughn Williams - Greensleeves/The Wasps Michael Stern Kansas City Symphony RR-129SACD from Reference Recordings.
post #14157 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

My source is -- well -- ME! I've confirmed the problem exists and reported it to OPPO through Beta Tester channels. I've got no info yet on whether this has been diagnosed as an authoring error on the disc or a processing error in the player.

The problem shows as gross sync error that actually gets worse quite quickly, and also corruption of the test tones.

As I said above, there's no problem with LPCM output of the TrueHD test tack, and also no problem with either Bitstream or LPCM output of the DTS-HD MA test track on S&M2.

The DVE HD Basics, Blu-ray, also has a sync test that uses a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track, and that sync test has no such problem. So whatever's going on here with S&M2 does not affect all Bitstream output of TrueHD tracks.
--Bob

This appears to have been corrected with the latest beta firmware (or prior).
post #14158 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Different A/V sync delay depending on the source material ??

In an earlier post I mentioned that my TV (a Sony) seems to have an input frame buffer of two frames. This means that when it is playing Blu-ray material at 24fps the input buffer requires 83mSec to fill, whereas when it is playing PAL DVD material at 50Hz the input buffer requires only 40mSec to fill.

So my question is if it is possible for the Oppo to have two different A/V sync delay settings that are selected depending on whether the unit is playing a Blu-Ray or a DVD ??

My latest measurements of A/V synchronization suggest that there is more in play than simply a 1 or 2 frame buffer at the TV. I haven't measured every possibility yet. These measurements are all audio advanced ahead of the video in microseconds. I'm on BDP10X-68-1225B firmware.

HDMI 1 to video/HDMI 2 to audio Split A/V:

Bitstream DTS-HD MA w/24p 115ms

Bitstream DTS-HD MA w/60p (3/2 pulldown) 55-60ms*

LPCM DTS-HD MA w/24p 65-70 ms

LPCM DTS-HD MA w/60p (3/2 pulldown) 20-25ms*

Bitstream DD True HD w/24p 35-40 ms*

Bitstream DD True HD w/60p (3/2 pulldown) 40 ms*

LPCM DD True HD w/24p 120ms

LPCM DD True HD w/60p (3/2 pulldown) 40-45ms


HDMI 2 only (Tested only to check the Auto Sync function on my AVR. Results were identical with Auto Sync on and off revealing that my television does not support it.):

Bitstream DTS-HD MA w/24p 50ms

Bitstream DTS-HD MA w/60p (3/2 pulldown) 25ms

*These measurements are less certain on accuracy due to the interaction of the frame rate of the source and the frame rate of the device I measured with. They should still be accurate to less than a quarter of a frame.


The measurements I find particularly revealing in regards to any A/V synchronization error that may be being introduced by the Oppo itself is the difference between LPCM DTS-HD MA w/24p and LPCM DD True HD w/24p. Since the AVR should be receiving identical LPCM from both of these, there should be no difference in it's processing time which then points the finger at the Oppo for the difference in video or audio delay, or an error on my source disc - Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition Blu-ray.

Ultimately I have set my audio delay for on my AVR for the HDMI input from the Oppo to 110ms. This is based on keeping all the possibilities that I measured above within the "undetectability plateau" of -96ms to +22ms (- being audio delayed behind video, and + being audio advanced ahead of video). With variations in source material, this will hopefully keep everything within the detectability threshold of -125ms to +45ms.

I don't believe it is currently possible on the BDP-103 to set different A/V sync settings for Blu-ray and DVD. If your AVR has adjustable audio delays for different inputs, it might be possible to set up one for Blu-ray and one for DVD with the DVD input assigned to the same HDMI input at the Blu-ray. Or you could run a coaxial or optical digital cable to your AVR for playing DVDs. Either way, you could then switch delays simply by switching between Blu-ray and DVD inputs on your AVR. I use coaxial from the BDP-103 to my AVR for playing CDs, and I have 0 delay set on that input.
Edited by KC-Technerd - 1/9/14 at 9:16am
post #14159 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

New problem since I have switched to sending my directTV through the Oppo back input:

DirecttV (native) to Oppo 103 input on back (1080P) to Yamaha A3030 (pass through) to Panasonic P60GT30

Problem:
After switching back and forth between 2 channels several times over the course of the evening (using the previous channel function on the remote), The picture begins to stutter (very noticeable on scrolling score bar on the bottom of the screen during a football game). The fix is to shut down the Oppo and then turn it back on.

This never happened when I left the Oppo out of the chain in the past.

Any ideas? ....I already tried resetting the Oppo and reapplying my settings.

Check that the firmware in your 103 is up to date. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information look at the Main firmware version number.

The current "Official" firmware ends "1224". Even better, the current Public Beta firmware ends "1225B". (Public Beta firmware needs to be downloaded from the OPPO Digital site for installation via a USB stick.)

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

--Bob
post #14160 of 16383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Different A/V sync delay depending on the source material ??

In an earlier post I mentioned that my TV (a Sony) seems to have an input frame buffer of two frames. This means that when it is playing Blu-ray material at 24fps the input buffer requires 83mSec to fill, whereas when it is playing PAL DVD material at 50Hz the input buffer requires only 40mSec to fill.

So my question is if it is possible for the Oppo to have two different A/V sync delay settings that are selected depending on whether the unit is playing a Blu-Ray or a DVD ??

No. There is only the one setting in the OPPO 103, so you would have to change it Manually.

If you are passing the signal through an AVR, there may be flexibility to do this in the AVR.
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread