or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 60

post #1771 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrat View Post

I don't know how I'll get the best possible sound with the OPPO and my receiver combination. I'm using a Denon3312ci for receiver. I currently own an OPPO bdp-93, hooked up via HDMI 1 only. (Ignore speakers for now.)
What I would like to know is, where would I gain the highest benefit in sound quality, using OPPO bpd-93, OPPO bdp-103 and OPPO bdp-105?
Would I get better SQ using the 93, or 103's Analog connections over the HDMI?
Would I get even better SQ using the 105's Analog connections over the 93 or 103's?
Or is the 105's Analog capability overkill for the Denon receiver?

I don't think the 105 will give you any benefit for straight sound, since your receiver doesn't have analog multi channel inputs. If you want some of the other features (headphone amp, optical inputs) that the 105 provides but the 103 doesn't, then that may be worth your while.

As far as sound, since you're talking HDMI sound, the 93 or 103 is your choice, I would think the reason to upgrade would be features, since the sound quality, while probably better may not blow away your 93. The features here are prompting me to upgrade, but for me it's easier since I'm upgrading from an 83. The ability to source other components through the 103 for video and sound, etc... all sound like what I want.

Soundwise though, I think your best bet is to audition one, compare it to your 93 and see if it's worth the upgrade.
post #1772 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

One last issue, which I believe Bob or Neuro can confirm was report already, some Netflix streams have audio-lipsync issues. I've only ever seen this on SD (not HD) content. And the audio out-of-sync issues appear to only be on particular shows. I think this may be a netflix software isssue. Have others seen some lip-sync issues on netflix content? I'm using the analog outs, but it seems to happen as well, though not as much, on the digital outs too.

I've watched a great deal of Netflix content over the past few months, all of it HD with 5.1 DD+. Never saw any audio synch issues. I use only HDMI.

A lot depends on whether you are seeing audio ahead of or behind the video, and your entire audio chain.
post #1773 of 16434
^ Nueromancer is remembering my post incorrectly.

I was talking about the inability to send HDMI Bitstream *AT ALL* to the Anthem MRX receivers. There is no such problem sending HDMI Bitstream to the Anthem D2v pre pro.



As for audio / video sync error, I've reported a bunch of cases and scenarios in the course of the Beta Testing, but I'm currently using the as yet to be released 105, so I can't be certain those cases apply to the 103 as well.

For the cases I've found, I've not found any user workaround to prevent the error -- rather then adjusting for it externally. I.e., we'll have to wait for a firmware fix.

Until the 105 releases, I can't talk about the specific results I'm seeing, but I assure you I've been making an absolute pest of myself in Beta Test Club on this. All of the Beta Testers push hard on issues they've found (of any sort), but it does make it interesting when everyone is not getting the same results.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 11/5/12 at 2:52pm
post #1774 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

One last issue, which I believe Bob or Neuro can confirm was report already, some Netflix streams have audio-lipsync issues. I've only ever seen this on SD (not HD) content. And the audio out-of-sync issues appear to only be on particular shows. I think this may be a netflix software isssue. Have others seen some lip-sync issues on netflix content? I'm using the analog outs, but it seems to happen as well, though not as much, on the digital outs too.

You have to be careful judging Netflix audio sync. Their streaming library contains numerous instances of inherent error -- i.e., the error is in the content before it ever gets to the player.

Also, Netflix switches on-the-fly between different source files according to which data rate it thinks it can send at any moment. That means the error may be related to the particular data rate you are seeing (e.g., Medium/SD vs. High/SD). As you can imagine, such problems are more common in their SD streams because many of those are sourced from, umm, strange originals.
--Bob
post #1775 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Just a followup, I still can't make the Directv warning come up anymore on HBO/Cinemax about protected content, so I think thats fixed.

I still can't use native though, I have to keep the box set to 1080i. Whenever there is a resolution change, HDMI2 drops audio and wont get it back without an input cycle.

As an experiment, try setting the DirecTV box to LPCM output instead of Bitstream/Dolby Digital. You will only get stereo audio of course, so that's not an ideal solution. But see if that allows the "Native" resolution changes to happen without loss of audio. Pass on the result to OPPO.
--Bob
post #1776 of 16434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Nueromancer is remembering my post incorrectly.
I was talking about the inability to send HDMI Bitstream *AT ALL* to the Anthem MRX receivers. There is no such problem sending HDMI Bitstream to the Anthem D2v pre pro.

Regardless, my personal experience is one of 0 Delay with the occassional requirement to bring that up to an undetermined amount, as it seems variable when I encounter A/V sync errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

Well, my AVR is a Denon AVR-1611 and it's exhibiting across all media that uses Dolby Digital. For example on the Bond movie discs (all of them) - the menu plays movie clips in the background. Those will be out of sync and my Denon says Dolby Digital. It gets into the movie and DTS HD MA and lip sync is fine throughout the movie.
Casino Royal (2007) is LPCM or Dolby Digital for the main soundtrack. Does Casino Royal remain in sync when listening to the LPCM soundtrack then go out of sync when using Dolby Digital, or are they identical?

If you have the 2008 Collector's Edition the audio is Dolby Digital TrueHD.
Edited by Neuromancer - 11/5/12 at 3:12pm
post #1777 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As an experiment, try setting the DirecTV box to LPCM output instead of Bitstream/Dolby Digital. You will only get stereo audio of course, so that's not an ideal solution. But see if that allows the "Native" resolution changes to happen without loss of audio. Pass on the result to OPPO.
--Bob

I tried that a couple of weeks ago. Dropped LPCM too. I reported it to them about 2 weeks ago I guess, maybe 3.
post #1778 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As an experiment, try setting the DirecTV box to LPCM output instead of Bitstream/Dolby Digital. You will only get stereo audio of course, so that's not an ideal solution. But see if that allows the "Native" resolution changes to happen without loss of audio. Pass on the result to OPPO.
--Bob

I tried that a couple of weeks ago. Dropped LPCM too. I reported it to them about 2 weeks ago I guess, maybe 3.

Yes, but the answer may have changed since the new firmware in your DirecTV unit obviously includes some HDMI changes
--Bob
post #1779 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Casino Royal (2007) is LPCM or Dolby Digital for the main soundtrack. Does Casino Royal remain in sync when listening to the LPCM soundtrack then go out of sync when using Dolby Digital, or are they identical?
If you have the 2008 Collector's Edition the audio is Dolby Digital TrueHD.

I have the Bond 50 blu-ray set. Casino Royale has DTS-HD MA audio.

Edit: I tried something with DD and DD TrueHD, namely the American History X blu-ray. I don't notice the issue there. But it seems to fluctuate, sometimes it's a few seconds delay - sometimes there's negligible or no delay. DirecTV through the HDMI-in is always the most obvious. But it NEVER happens with DTS audio streams.
Edited by Don Borvio - 11/5/12 at 3:35pm
post #1780 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Because it is not universal. Look at Bob Pariseau's post where he says there is synching issues with the Anthem MRX series of receivers, but no issues with the D2 series of receivers.
In my configuration (JVC RS50 projector and Integra DHC-70.2 receiver) I am only experiencing the occasional audio and video synchronization error that is disc specific. I normally I have my system set to 0 Delay, and on rare occasion do I need to add 60 to 90ms of delay.

There were posts on Denon too regarding lip sync. And this i s lip sync on BDs.
Edited by Brian-HD - 11/5/12 at 3:29pm
post #1781 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

There were posts on Denon too regarding lip sync. And this i s lip sync on BDs.
Whew - I'm glad someone else noticed it on the Denon. I missed that post but thanks for mentioning it. I thought I might have done something wrong as I didn't notice it on my 93.
post #1782 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

There were posts on Denon too regarding lip sync. And this i s lip sync on BDs.

Elaborate please, reported where? Here in the forums or somewhere else? Just with this player or others?
post #1783 of 16434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

I have the Bond 50 blu-ray set. Casino Royale has DTS-HD MA audio.
Edit: I tried something with DD and DD TrueHD, namely the American History X blu-ray. I don't notice the issue there. But it seems to fluctuate, sometimes it's a few seconds delay - sometimes there's negligible or no delay. DirecTV through the HDMI-in is always the most obvious. But it NEVER happens with DTS audio streams.

HDMI-IN is known to be incredibly out of sync on any combination or equipment.

What seems to be variable and of contention is the Audio and Video Synchronization errors which are occurring with Blu-ray media.
post #1784 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

HDMI-IN is known to be incredibly out of sync on any combination or equipment.
What seems to be variable and of contention is the Audio and Video Synchronization errors which are occurring with Blu-ray media.

It does happen with blu-rays but it's so random that it is frustrating to try to nail down. It's probably why it's taking some time to fix. :/
post #1785 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

temmeyhpetthi,
Ya-If you have an older CRT like I do then the overscan is evident as Bob stated. This prompted me to do some further analysis. Up close to the TV there is also softening of the image on all sides. Now I have some red shift or red bleeding off to the sides of bright objects. It looks something like a 3d image w/o the glasses and is bugging me. I realize now after googling that this TV is on its last legs and is dying a slow death. The whites are clipping, colors not right etc, etc,. Fortunately for me after showing my wife these issues, she agrees with me that its time for a new TV and have settled on a Panasonic VT50. I hope it plays well with the OPPO 103. As it stands the OPPO is my new standard and everything is going to have to be optimized for it-not the other way around. I'm going to have to mosey on over to the Panasonic thread and bother those folks for awhile.
dave
Boy are you two going to be happy with that set-up!
post #1786 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

I saw a significant difference with the AQ vs the Monoprice stuff I also used.

Hi Petetherock,

What exacly audioquest HDMI cable are you using? Coffee? Cinnamon?
post #1787 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

temmeyhpetthi,
Ya-If you have an older CRT like I do then the overscan is evident as Bob stated. This prompted me to do some further analysis. Up close to the TV there is also softening of the image on all sides. Now I have some red shift or red bleeding off to the sides of bright objects. It looks something like a 3d image w/o the glasses and is bugging me. I realize now after googling that this TV is on its last legs and is dying a slow death. The whites are clipping, colors not right etc, etc,. Fortunately for me after showing my wife these issues, she agrees with me that its time for a new TV and have settled on a Panasonic VT50. I hope it plays well with the OPPO 103. As it stands the OPPO is my new standard and everything is going to have to be optimized for it-not the other way around. I'm going to have to mosey on over to the Panasonic thread and bother those folks for awhile.
dave
Me and the wife have the best picture we have ever had with the 55ST50 and the BDP-103 via HDMI straight to the set so you will be more than thrilled with that combo.
post #1788 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamKarl View Post

Hi Petetherock,
What exacly audioquest HDMI cable are you using? Coffee? Cinnamon?

Unless you have a defective cable, or have interference that's interrupting the signal - I don't see how one HDMI cable could be that much better than another. Either the 1s and 0s go through or not.

Addedenum: Now if you have a long run (over a couple meters), then you run into greater risk of interference and possibly attenuation. Then it's probably worth it for a name brand of cable, but still not $500. smile.gif
Edited by Don Borvio - 11/5/12 at 5:50pm
post #1789 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player will be slower accessing the WLAN than other devices when you are using Energy Saver or have removed power from the player completely.
How long are you waiting before testing the Wireless capabilities of the player?
When you go into Network Setup is Connection Information "Not Connected" or is showing an IP Address?

I haven't bothered to check the network setup which I'm sure would work if I would choose to reconnect. I'm just not happy with the fact that I would be required to access the setup as opposed to the player simply reconnecting after a power loss. My router, desktop computer, Wireless Access Points and other devices, a Squeezebox Touch and Squeezebox Classic and laptop computers gracefully reestablish connections but the 103 does not.
post #1790 of 16434
^ I have no such problem getting the Wifi to reconnect to my Apple Airport Wifi setup after a power cycle -- even if I pull the power plug on the OPPO while it is powered off.

I don't know what is going on in your setup, but your result is certainly not "normal".

What Neuromancer was asking was how soon after power up you were checking for live Wifi? When you disconnect wall power, the next power up is forced to be "non-Quick" even if you have Quick-Start selected. The Wifi startup takes a bit of time AFTER Home Menu appears. Long enough that if you go right into Setup to check it, you may find it is not connected yet. Or if you launch a network app right away, it too might find the Wifi is not live yet.

Also, when you DO manage to get the Wifi connected, what Signal Strength are you getting? Is it weak? Check Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info.
--Bob
post #1791 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

There were posts on Denon too regarding lip sync. And this i s lip sync on BDs.

Mine has got lip sync on just about every blu-ray disc I played, Oppo is looking at it and said they will have a firmware fix. They also mentioned mine was the only one with such a problem reported when connected to a Denon 4810. I wonder if the problem is with all Denons

Has anyone with a Denon 4810 encountered lip syn issues with the 103?
post #1792 of 16434
That's BS. mad.gif I have a 103 and I have lip-sync issues with all the discs I played through Pioneer Elite SC-25 and Anthem MRX-700. No lip-sync issue using Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD, BDP-62FD, Oppo 93, PS3 and Pana BDT500.

I'm getting a replacement 103 tomorrow and see what happens.
post #1793 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

Unless you have a defective cable, or have interference that's interrupting the signal - I don't see how one HDMI cable could be that much better than another. Either the 1s and 0s go through or not.
Addedenum: Now if you have a long run (over a couple meters), then you run into greater risk of interference and possibly attenuation. Then it's probably worth it for a name brand of cable, but still not $500. smile.gif

Try it out first, then comment. Don't just go based on theory. The only "no difference between cables" case is when I use cable box as a source or BD player set to only 24-bit. Once I set it to 36-bit, 4:4:4, the difference is apparent between my Kimber 19e HDMI vs the no-name $5 cable (and no, it's not about justification of purchase because I WANT the cables to make no difference -- I got the Kimber for free and I actually spent $5 for the no-name cable.
post #1794 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph View Post

Mine has got lip sync on just about every blu-ray disc I played, Oppo is looking at it and said they will have a firmware fix. They also mentioned mine was the only one with such a problem reported when connected to a Denon 4810. I wonder if the problem is with all Denons

I've experienced it with the Denon AVP and my Oppo 103
post #1795 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Try it out first, then comment. Don't just go based on theory. The only "no difference between cables" case is when I use cable box as a source or BD player set to only 24-bit. Once I set it to 36-bit, 4:4:4, the difference is apparent between my Kimber 19e HDMI vs the no-name $5 cable (and no, it's not about justification of purchase because I WANT the cables to make no difference -- I got the Kimber for free and I actually spent $5 for the no-name cable.


It's based on fact, not theory. Many have done double-blind tests with really no conclusive evidence that one HDMI is better than another (assuming no defects). Now, if your no-name cable only meets the HDMI 1.2 spec, and the Kimber is spec'd out to 1.3 or 1.4 - now that can make a difference as the cable configuration may not meet the new standard.
post #1796 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph View Post

Mine has got lip sync on just about every blu-ray disc I played, Oppo is looking at it and said they will have a firmware fix. They also mentioned mine was the only one with such a problem reported when connected to a Denon 4810. I wonder if the problem is with all Denons
Has anyone with a Denon 4810 encountered lip syn issues with the 103?

Need to clarify my statement. Mine was the first case reported to Oppo with a Denon 4810 It is not the first case reported with any Denon or any other AVRs
Looks like it happens more with Denons
post #1797 of 16434
It sounds like others with different configs are having lipsync issues as well. Has anyone heard from Oppo directly on what the issue may be or whether the firmware fix in imminent?
post #1798 of 16434
Thread Starter 
OPPO usually does not talk about firmware they are currently working on as they do not want to over promise and under deliver.
post #1799 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

That's BS. mad.gif I have a 103 and I have lip-sync issues with all the discs I played through Pioneer Elite SC-25 and Anthem MRX-700. No lip-sync issue using Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD, BDP-62FD, Oppo 93, PS3 and Pana BDT500.
I'm getting a replacement 103 tomorrow and see what happens.

David,


Did Oppo replaced your unit for lip sync issue? Do you have to adjust your lip sync on pioneers or Panasonic? I had the Panasonic 500 and never adjusted lip sync. I am waiting for FW fix.
Edited by Brian-HD - 11/6/12 at 4:37am
post #1800 of 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

Unless you have a defective cable, or have interference that's interrupting the signal - I don't see how one HDMI cable could be that much better than another. Either the 1s and 0s go through or not.
Addedenum: Now if you have a long run (over a couple meters), then you run into greater risk of interference and possibly attenuation. Then it's probably worth it for a name brand of cable, but still not $500. smile.gif

Try it out first, then comment. Don't just go based on theory. The only "no difference between cables" case is when I use cable box as a source or BD player set to only 24-bit. Once I set it to 36-bit, 4:4:4, the difference is apparent between my Kimber 19e HDMI vs the no-name $5 cable (and no, it's not about justification of purchase because I WANT the cables to make no difference -- I got the Kimber for free and I actually spent $5 for the no-name cable.

 

The idea that one non-defective cable produces better audio or video than another, non-defective cable is false. It ignores the fundamental nature of digital communications. Vendors who make claims of superiority are engaging in false advertising. Sorry.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread