or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 62

post #1831 of 16402
I thought direct connection via ethernet cable should eliminate unwanted influence from router/hub. Thus could increase PQ and SQ. Am I missing something here? I don't have 103 yet. I will ask dealer to try it first:)
post #1832 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by willshaw View Post

I thought direct connection via ethernet cable should eliminate unwanted influence from router/hub. Thus could increase PQ and SQ. Am I missing something here? I don't have 103 yet. I will ask dealer to try it first:)

That's very unlikely. If the router influenced digital data then computer networks would not work at all.

-Bill
post #1833 of 16402
A direct connection would eliminate the possibility of data lags caused by traffic among other systems on the network.
post #1834 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

A direct connection would eliminate the possibility of data lags caused by traffic among other systems on the network.
Unless the network setup was extremely incompetent, that's pretty unlikely. If such issues were prevalent, there would be TONS of posts in any thread for a streaming device reporting such issues. A direct connection is completely unnecessary - the only reason to do so is if you don't have any sort of internet connection or home network setup.
post #1835 of 16402
You can also adjust your router's QoS settings to give highest priority to network traffic between your computer and the 103.
post #1836 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by willshaw View Post

I thought direct connection via ethernet cable should eliminate unwanted influence from router/hub. Thus could increase PQ and SQ. Am I missing something here? I don't have 103 yet. I will ask dealer to try it first:)

I don't think that's necessary.

Modern routers are more than capable of handling video traffic, remember they are routing traffic that is much more demanding even at 100 Mbit/s speeds, never mind gigabit speed data. The typical bandwidth needed for a HD signal is 10-20 Mbit/s, which is well within the capabilities of a router that can handle a number of 100Mbit/s interfaces.

It becomes even less of an issue with a router that can do gigabit processing, or if the data being sent is encoded with a video codec like H.264 which cuts down on the data being sent by a large amount. In streaming over the net, the internet connection, not the router is the limiting factor.

Just get a good, inexpensive router with 100 Mbit or gigabit connections, set it up correctly and enjoy. Changing the QoS settings is not necessarily the best thing if you're not good at it, you may improve the signal between two nodes, but may affect the network overall. Just keep it simple.
post #1837 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I don't think that's necessary.
Modern routers are more than capable of handling video traffic, remember they are routing traffic that is much more demanding even at 100 Mbit/s speeds, never mind gigabit speed data. The typical bandwidth needed for a HD signal is 10-20 Mbit/s, which is well within the capabilities of a router that can handle a number of 100Mbit/s interfaces.
It becomes even less of an issue with a router that can do gigabit processing, or if the data being sent is encoded with a video codec like H.264 which cuts down on the data being sent by a large amount. In streaming over the net, the internet connection, not the router is the limiting factor.
Just get a good, inexpensive router with 100 Mbit or gigabit connections, set it up correctly and enjoy. Changing the QoS settings is not necessarily the best thing if you're not good at it, you may improve the signal between two nodes, but may affect the network overall. Just keep it simple.
I would have agreed with you, but that was before I had to adjust the QoS of my Netgear gigabit switches located between my NAS and Oppo. Now that things are set up it's great but before I setup the QoS I was experiencing stuttering during high bit rate 1080p h.264 MKV's.

YMMV
post #1838 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I would have agreed with you, but that was before I had to adjust the QoS of my Netgear gigabit switches located between my NAS and Oppo. Now that things are set up it's great but before I setup the QoS I was experiencing stuttering during high bit rate 1080p h.264 MKV's.
YMMV

I agree you can improve the performance by tuning the QoS settings. It does ensure better delivery by emphasizing that traffic path or particular types of traffic over others. It is a borrowing game though, since the reshuffling of the priority may preempt other traffic that you're using.

I'm glad it worked for you, I've seen some QoS nightmares when you give some traffic preeminence and it completely bumps other crucial traffic. YMMV is correct. I guess in a simple network, it may have less to no impact to ensure the transactions between two specific nodes. Can always return to factory settings if there is a real problem.
post #1839 of 16402
OPPO UK posts new Award for BDP-103EU

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk

The OPPO UK web site has just posted a link stating the BDP-103U has just been awarded the 2013 Blu-ray Player of the Year award, in the Imaging category, from "ON OFF Magazine" (Spain).

Unfortunately, I can not get that link to load anything on my Mac at the moment. It is apparently a scan capture of an article which is not posted on-line yet. So I'm not sure whether that Award is just for the imaging characteristics of the player, or whether ON OFF have listed Blu-ray Players, in total, as a subset of an Imaging Products category.

Perhaps one of our European posters can check on this?
--Bob
post #1840 of 16402
2013 Blu-Ray player of the year? Wow, that's ahead of time !smile.gif
post #1841 of 16402
Well, I guess I can officially call myself a "BDP-103 owner" now... my player arrived on Monday. smile.gif

First thoughts:
- I love the build quality.
- 24Hz works great, unlike TMT5 on my HTPC. That alone was worth the price of the player for me.
- PQ appears better than my HTPC at first glance. I haven't messed around with calibration settings on my PT-AE4000 yet.
- Network connectivity with my NAS (Dlink DNS-323) is cool. Setup was a breeze. Streaming from the NAS works well, it seems.
- I avoided doing the latest firmware update. People are talking about sync issues. I noticed it on Netflix but not on Blu-rays.
- Boot time is great, and I'm not even using the quick-boot option.
- I played one SACD and it worked great. I'll have to revisit a bunch of my SACDs and DVD-As.
- I'm definitely looking forward to the region-free mods. smile.gif
- I wish HD DVD lasted long enough for Oppo to support the format. I can still use the HTPC for those discs (of which I have about 100...) wink.gif

All in all, I'm totally happy I bought this player. It was worth every penny (and the 2-week delivery time...)

One question: wasn't the calibration disc included in previous Oppo players? Why did they leave it out of this one?
post #1842 of 16402
Mine should be arriving by the end of next week. Can't wait!
post #1843 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post


One question: wasn't the calibration disc included in previous Oppo players? Why did they leave it out of this one?

Spears & Munsil came with the BDP-83 only. Also the AIX sampler.

-Bill
post #1844 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

2013 Blu-Ray player of the year? Wow, that's ahead of time !smile.gif

Everybody else might just as well give up now! biggrin.gif
--Bob
post #1845 of 16402
SomethingMore,
The audio / video sync issues existed in the prior firmware as well. It's just that people are beginning to notice it now as more folks use the player.

You should go ahead and update to the latest "Official" firmware.
--Bob
post #1846 of 16402
As a reminder to our European posters, I'm still waiting for the first post here confirming that the native Netflix app on the European model, BDP-103EU player actually works in those parts of Europe where Netflix streaming service is available (UK, Ireland, & Scandinavia at the moment, I believe).

Nobody wants to claim the cookie?
--Bob
post #1847 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I would have agreed with you, but that was before I had to adjust the QoS of my Netgear gigabit switches located between my NAS and Oppo. Now that things are set up it's great but before I setup the QoS I was experiencing stuttering during high bit rate 1080p h.264 MKV's.
YMMV

I'm going to have to try this as I've been having some issues with high bitrate files myself. Instead of stuttering, I'm getting a "frozen screen" though.
post #1848 of 16402
I just recently tried some 3D Blue-Rays and I have to admit I liked it and the picture was great no ghosting or artifacts it was truly a pleasure to watch.
post #1849 of 16402
Hi,
Are their any advantages to ordering this player directly from Oppo as opposed to Amazon(better warranty, support, etc)?

Thanks,
Dave
post #1850 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by videomax View Post

Hi,
Are their any advantages to ordering this player directly from Oppo as opposed to Amazon(better warranty, support, etc)?

Thanks,
Dave

No, it's the same either way. You may get it faster from OPPO.

If you do buy from Amazon or elsewhere, make sure you register the player at OPPO's site. It's good luck.

-Bill
post #1851 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, it's the same either way. You may get it faster from OPPO.
If you do buy from Amazon or elsewhere, make sure you register the player at OPPO's site. It's good luck.
-Bill

+1
post #1852 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by videomax View Post

Hi,
Are their any advantages to ordering this player directly from Oppo as opposed to Amazon(better warranty, support, etc)?
Thanks,
Dave


Depending on where you live, no tax from Amazon.
post #1853 of 16402
I normally like my 2 day Prime smile.gif
post #1854 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

Well, I guess I can officially call myself a "BDP-103 owner" now... my player arrived on Monday. smile.gif
First thoughts:
- I love the build quality.
- 24Hz works great, unlike TMT5 on my HTPC. That alone was worth the price of the player for me.
- PQ appears better than my HTPC at first glance. I haven't messed around with calibration settings on my PT-AE4000 yet.
- Network connectivity with my NAS (Dlink DNS-323) is cool. Setup was a breeze. Streaming from the NAS works well, it seems.
- I avoided doing the latest firmware update. People are talking about sync issues. I noticed it on Netflix but not on Blu-rays.
- Boot time is great, and I'm not even using the quick-boot option.
- I played one SACD and it worked great. I'll have to revisit a bunch of my SACDs and DVD-As.
- I'm definitely looking forward to the region-free mods. smile.gif
- I wish HD DVD lasted long enough for Oppo to support the format. I can still use the HTPC for those discs (of which I have about 100...) wink.gif
All in all, I'm totally happy I bought this player. It was worth every penny (and the 2-week delivery time...)
One question: wasn't the calibration disc included in previous Oppo players? Why did they leave it out of this one?

The closest thing you can come to an Oppo for your HD DVD's is the LG BH200(Blu-ray and HD DVD). It has the 1st generation Qdeo processor. I still have mine and I love it. You can get them for under $200 now. You can change regions for bluray and have it play all your overseas dvd's.
post #1855 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by videomax View Post

Hi, Are their any advantages to ordering this player directly from Oppo as opposed to Amazon(better warranty, support, etc)?
Thanks,Dave

Amazon, 30 days money back guarantee with free shipping smile.gif
post #1856 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

The closest thing you can come to an Oppo for your HD DVD's is the LG BH200(Blu-ray and HD DVD). It has the 1st generation Qdeo processor. I still have mine and I love it. You can get them for under $200 now. You can change regions for bluray and have it play all your overseas dvd's.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep watching HD DVDs on my HTPC for now, but if the multi-drive dies, I'll consider the LG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Spears & Munsil came with the BDP-83 only. Also the AIX sampler.
-Bill
Thanks. Is there a preferred calibration disc that people are using, or are these two the best? I have the DVE Essentials HD DVD, but that's of no use for the Oppo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

SomethingMore,
The audio / video sync issues existed in the prior firmware as well. It's just that people are beginning to notice it now as more folks use the player.
You should go ahead and update to the latest "Official" firmware.
--Bob
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure, which was why I held off. I'll likely do the update this weekend.

One more quick question: Has anyone tried out the Akira Blu-ray on the 103? The Japanese TrueHD track is sampled at 192k. I'm just curious if anyone has had troubles with it. I played only a few minutes, but it felt like the dialogue was all coming from the front left speaker. I never noticed that before when playing it in my HTPC. I'll have to try it on both again to make sure. I'm connecting it to a Onkyo TX-SR606, and bitstreaming the audio so the Onkyo decodes it.
Edited by SomethingMore - 11/7/12 at 9:36pm
post #1857 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

Thanks. Is there a preferred calibration disc that people are using, or are these two the best? I have the DVE Essentials HD DVD, but that's of no use for the Oppo...

I use both Spears&Munsil and the free AVS HD 709 downloadable disc (usually on a USB stick for the latter). The BR version of DVE is also available.

I've always meant to try the Disney WOW disc but never gotten to it yet.

-Bill
post #1858 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As a reminder to our European posters, I'm still waiting for the first post here confirming that the native Netflix app on the European model, BDP-103EU player actually works in those parts of Europe where Netflix streaming service is available (UK, Ireland, & Scandinavia at the moment, I believe).
Nobody wants to claim the cookie?
--Bob

I didn't get the cookie originally as its still in the box, im off tomorrow to set everything back up following redecoration.... i will report back !! get the cookie ready !
post #1859 of 16402
Sorry on another note i will be connecting the 103EU to a pioneer LX51 and 8g kuro.... any recommendations or need to tweak these ???

Thanks
post #1860 of 16402
Can anyone tell me how to get the AVS hd 709 download? I tried searching on here but can't find it thanks...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread