or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 65

post #1921 of 16445
When can we see an app to control the 103? I'd love to use the iPad as the remote
post #1922 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I just tried mine. Got going OK after the loading logo, then I skipped thru all the trailers, made it to the menu, started the movie, then skipped thru several chapters. No problem here.

Tried it again this morning and had it freeze in the same place. Since others seemed to say it was OK for them, the only thing I could think to try was to do a factory reset (which I actually didn't do after the last firmware update). Strangely after doing that, it worked fine. I'm not quite sure what setting would have been affecting it (I went back through and put all my settings back to what they were before attempting to play it again). But I've probably put about 20 discs in since that firmware update and this was the only one that did that .... very odd, but I'm glad it's been resolved.
post #1923 of 16445
Odd, glad its working. I also frequently wipe the persistent storage too.
post #1924 of 16445
Whoa so many bugs, Oppo will fix them they always do wink.gif
post #1925 of 16445
I just hooked up my 103 to the 70" Sharp Elite and have something odd happening that I hope you guys can help with. I am running a Denon 3808 and I have the Oppo connected to the Denon through HDMI out 2 and the HDMI 1 running to the Elite on HDMI 2. I have my cable box going to the Denon on TV/Cable and monitor out to HDMI 1 on the TV. Two things are happening. When I play the cable box everything works perfect with the Denon and TV. When I play 2D Blu Ray through the Oppo the sound works fine and the picture is fine. What is odd is I can get the picture on HDMI 1 on the TV as well as HDMI 2 which is where the Oppo is plugged in to. Why would this happen?

The other problem I am having is when I press the 3D button on the Oppo remote and tell it to convery 2D to 3D on Avatar (2D version) I do not get any audio. Avatar is the only disc I have tried so far and I do not have any 3D movies yet. Why would I lose audio in 3D when everything works perfect in 2D? I hope it is just a setting that I missed. Thanks for the help.
post #1926 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

I was under the impression that Cinavia was NOT present on .mkv. Was that changed in the fw update????

I think that I should clarify this. I just checked and the MIB3 mkv file that I have backed up on a BD-R activates the Cinavia at 20 minutes. When I put the same file on a hard drive and play it back, the Cinavia DOES NOT activate. So far this is the way it works. Nothing to say that this is how it will work in the future.
Edited by Ali is mental - 11/10/12 at 10:54am
post #1927 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

I just hooked up my 103 to the 70" Sharp Elite and have something odd happening that I hope you guys can help with. I am running a Denon 3808 and I have the Oppo connected to the Denon through HDMI out 2 and the HDMI 1 running to the Elite on HDMI 2. I have my cable box going to the Denon on TV/Cable and monitor out to HDMI 1 on the TV. Two things are happening. When I play the cable box everything works perfect with the Denon and TV. When I play 2D Blu Ray through the Oppo the sound works fine and the picture is fine. What is odd is I can get the picture on HDMI 1 on the TV as well as HDMI 2 which is where the Oppo is plugged in to. Why would this happen?
The other problem I am having is when I press the 3D button on the Oppo remote and tell it to convery 2D to 3D on Avatar (2D version) I do not get any audio. Avatar is the only disc I have tried so far and I do not have any 3D movies yet. Why would I lose audio in 3D when everything works perfect in 2D? I hope it is just a setting that I missed. Thanks for the help.

I believe that video is always present on both HDMI1 and HDMI2. You can shut the audio off on HDMI1 by using the "Split" option in the Oppo set-up.
post #1928 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

I believe that video is always present on both HDMI1 and HDMI2. You can shut the audio off on HDMI1 by using the "Split" option in the Oppo set-up.

I have the split option on. It may be something in the Denon set up that is thinking the audio and video is being fed to it and does not recognize that I should only be getting audio in 3D. I thought this was a function of the Oppo. I am going to post this in the Denon forum as well to try and get it figured out. Thanks.
post #1929 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

I have the split option on. It may be something in the Denon set up that is thinking the audio and video is being fed to it and does not recognize that I should only be getting audio in 3D. I thought this was a function of the Oppo. I am going to post this in the Denon forum as well to try and get it figured out. Thanks.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but HDMI2 out on the Oppo always contains video no matter what your settings.
post #1930 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but HDMI2 out on the Oppo always contains video no matter what your settings.

I understand now that both HDMI outs from the Oppo can send audio and video which must be why I am getting a picture on both of the HDMI inputs on the Elite. What I can't figure out is why I can not get audio in 3D. I thought the whole reason for 2 HDMI outs on the Oppo was so you could get high rez audio when watching 3D when you do not have a HDMI 1.4 receiver. Thanks to everyone trying to help.
post #1931 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

I think that I should clarify this. I just checked and the MIB3 mkv file that I have backed up on a BD-R activates the Cinavia at 20 minutes. When I put the same file on a hard drive and play it back, the Cinavia DOES NOT activate. So far this is the way it works. Nothing to say that this is how it will work in the future.

I'm assuming that the BD disc has standard BDMV file structure? (as opposed to just an MKV on a BD-ROM)
I just tested with Amazing Spiderman and the player is still ignoring Cinavia in M2TS and MKV files via attached HDD and SMB sharing.
post #1932 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

I understand now that both HDMI outs from the Oppo can send audio and video which must be why I am getting a picture on both of the HDMI inputs on the Elite. What I can't figure out is why I can not get audio in 3D. I thought the whole reason for 2 HDMI outs on the Oppo was so you could get high rez audio when watching 3D when you do not have a HDMI 1.4 receiver. Thanks to everyone trying to help.

This issue with some Denon AVRs has been documented and discussed previously here. The AVR is sending the wrong handshake to the player. I think Oppo is hoping to have a firmware fix for these AVRs in a future update. It should only affect 3D viewing from BD disc.
post #1933 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'm assuming that the BD disc has standard BDMV file structure? (as opposed to just an MKV on a BD-ROM)

It's just an mkv file on a BD-ROM, no BDMV file structure present. Looks like Cinavia only works with files on shiny discs.
Edited by Ali is mental - 11/10/12 at 12:50pm
post #1934 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This issue with some Denon AVRs has been documented and discussed previously here. The AVR is sending the wrong handshake to the player. I think Oppo is hoping to have a firmware fix for these AVRs in a future update. It should only affect 3D viewing from BD disc.

Interesting thing that I just found. All of my concert BD's like Moody Blues, Heart, Roy Orbinson and others all go to 2D to 3D conversion with audio just fine. But all of my movie BD's do not have any audio. Dark Knight, Green Lantern, Blow and others no audio.

Are you saying that I will not get audio with a standard 3D BD in 3D as opposed to the conversion? This is going to be very disappointing if so.
post #1935 of 16445
Quote:
I just tested with Amazing Spiderman and the player is still ignoring Cinavia in M2TS and MKV files via attached HDD and SMB sharing.

This is Amazing news! (pun fully intended) I buy CDs/DVDs/BDs that I want to own. But I certainly like to have all options open. Call me crazy but wasting time with Handbrake and other conversion and video editing software is something I enjoy doing. And to be frank, I learned a lot doing it and it has served me in my work. Nothing realy wasted. For movies I would rather have an original, but for TV shows its a different matter. Grabbing something off a HD recorder, cutting out commercials and having an excellent copy to watch through an MKV files is nice.

I know some have said here that Cinavia is very limited in titles affected by it, but we can't know what the future will be.

Well I'm off to one of the canadian reseller to order my 103!

Jb
post #1936 of 16445
This is very good news for me about cinivia not present on mkv HDD. I have a ton of mkv and after hearing the bad news yesterday was hesitant about buying the 103. Hopefully cinivia is not wide spread to mkv and other video formats in the future. I just tried to order 103 on amazon and I don't know why on amazon it's $544 and on oppo its cheaper $518
post #1937 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

Are you saying that I will not get audio with a standard 3D BD in 3D as opposed to the conversion? This is going to be very disappointing if so.
What he said is that there's a bug in how some non-3D capable Denon (and Pioneer, IIRC) AVR's report their video capabilities when they're connected to a TV that can do 3D, in that they incorrectly pass along that they can handle 3D. To be clear, the bug is in the AVR and should be fixed by the AVR manufacturer, not Oppo. But since it's unlikely that the AVR manufacturers will fix this in a timely manner, if at all, Oppo is looking into including a workaround that will take care of this problem in a future firmware release, so it isn't something you should expect to be stuck with long term.
post #1938 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanwilson View Post

This is very good news for me about cinivia not present on mkv HDD. I have a ton of mkv and after hearing the bad news yesterday was hesitant about buying the 103. Hopefully cinivia is not wide spread to mkv and other video formats in the future. I just tried to order 103 on amazon and I don't know why on amazon it's $544 and on oppo its cheaper $518

My opinion, without any benefit of inside info: it is inevitable that the studios will require these holes be plugged. If they are going to deploy Cinavia then they will require that it be enforced.

The more these workarounds become known the sooner they will be stopped.

-Bill
post #1939 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This issue with some Denon AVRs has been documented and discussed previously here. The AVR is sending the wrong handshake to the player. I think Oppo is hoping to have a firmware fix for these AVRs in a future update. It should only affect 3D viewing from BD disc.

Hopefully fixes our audio/video sync issues too. *chomps at bit*
post #1940 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

My opinion, without any benefit of inside info: it is inevitable that the studios will require these holes be plugged. If they are going to deploy Cinavia then they will require that it be enforced.
The more these workarounds become known the sooner they will be stopped.
-Bill

I agree. I have shut the automatic firmware updates off for now. I will have to review each one and what it gives me from now on. So far I am having no issues with the player in anything that I am using it for.
post #1941 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

My opinion, without any benefit of inside info: it is inevitable that the studios will require these holes be plugged. If they are going to deploy Cinavia then they will require that it be enforced.
The more these workarounds become known the sooner they will be stopped.
-Bill

So far only Sony is deploying Cinavia, and their own Mediatek based players also offer this same work-around. That said, there's no reason to assume they won't pull the same strong-arm tactics that cost us ISO support from Mediatek, even though the BDA license doesn't seem to require Cinavia support in media file containers.

There's no love between Sony and the studios, so it's not impossible that Sony remains the only content provider using Cinavia. We can hope...
post #1942 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post


I agree. I have shut the automatic firmware updates off for now. I will have to review each one and what it gives me from now on. So far I am having no issues with the player in anything that I am using it for.

Note: the player has automatic firmware notification, but no automatic update. You always have to choose to do the update.

Turning off notification would reduce the chance of updating by accident (inattention, kids, cats, etc)

That said: having a BR player that you are afraid to update will end in tears. (Although it hasn't been too bad for the ISO diehards on the -93 yet).

-Bill
post #1943 of 16445
I get the cinavia issues, and the whole wanting to backup, but as Ive aged I just realized the trouble of all the effort. Not to take away from you guys doing it, because I get it, Im just a lot more happy and less troubled by buying my Blu-rays used off sellers on Amazon. Great deals, I just stick em on the shelf, and not worry about it.

The studios are against us.
post #1944 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

So far only Sony is deploying Cinavia, and their own Mediatek based players also offer this same work-around. That said, there's no reason to assume they won't pull the same strong-arm tactics that cost us ISO support from Mediatek, even though the BDA license doesn't seem to require Cinavia support in media file containers.
There's no love between Sony and the studios, so it's not impossible that Sony remains the only content provider using Cinavia. We can hope...
It's amazing they were able to get so many on board with BD considering all the animosity they have fostered (Toshiba fared worse in spite of that). wink.gif

On the note of the BDP-103, I love the SMB sharing action. Not having to install another server to add DLNA capabilities is a blessing, and it seems to cut out the middleman (even if SMB is a sharing service in and of itself).

Two small bugs to report (and to switch back to Sony): I was watching Justified (Season 1) and after a momentary pause, I restarted playback only to get no audio. I stopped and restarted the disc and had it return (didn't attempt going to the disc menu first, but that might have resolved it as well). Also, on the same disc, it seems that the beginning of the episodes when the DTS-HD audio stream is initiated (by way of bitstream), there is about a second of noise present (pop/click/static) before it immediately clears . It's loud enough to concern me of its effect on the speakers, so hopefully this will be fixed in the next upgrade.

Hopefully, the studios stop using TrueHD so that won't be a concern for the mkv rips (Cinavia is a different story :| ).
post #1945 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

My opinion, without any benefit of inside info: it is inevitable that the studios will require these holes be plugged. If they are going to deploy Cinavia then they will require that it be enforced.
The more these workarounds become known the sooner they will be stopped.
-Bill

If it were to happen a lot of people would switch to media players instead of blu-ray players since they don't have to be bound by blu-ray license thus no cinivia. Will oppo consider a media player in the future? I would be the first to buy it. Oppo great picture quality combine with a bunch of file media support plus isos.
post #1946 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Note: the player has automatic firmware notification, but no automatic update. You always have to choose to do the update.
Turning off notification would reduce the chance of updating by accident (inattention, kids, cats, etc)
That said: having a BR player that you are afraid to update will end in tears. (Although it hasn't been too bad for the ISO diehards on the -93 yet).
-Bill

I know. It's just less annoying with it shut off. There won't be tears. If I see something I really want in an update I will install the update regardless of the resulting Cinavia changes.
post #1947 of 16445
Sorry for sounding "newbish" here, but something I havent seen addressed so far. Using one of the HDMI inputs on the 103, couldnt someone run their WD live TV they use to access files off their NAS drives thru the 103 and upgrade picture quality ? So far I have found nothing on my NAS my WD Live cant read and display on my Sony. And currently am looking for a 3D BR player, and at getting the 103 for all its listed capabillities...... Thanx ahead of time......

Bill
post #1948 of 16445
My Oppo is ****ing up. When I go back and forth between channels, every 5 or 6 times I do it, my screen goes blank and I have to shut off the player and turn it back on, then switch the input. Directv comes back on after that. This should not happen. I have a single hdmi running from avr to oppo to television.
post #1949 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

My Oppo is ****ing up. When I go back and forth between channels, every 5 or 6 times I do it, my screen goes blank and I have to shut off the player and turn it back on, then switch the input. Directv comes back on after that. This should not happen. I have a single hdmi running from avr to oppo to television.

Are you asking for help?

First thing to try would be a direct connection between the player and the TV. Does the problem persist?

Does HDMI2 produce different results than HDMI1?

-Bill
post #1950 of 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you asking for help?
First thing to try would be a direct connection between the player and the TV. Does the problem persist?
Does HDMI2 produce different results than HDMI1?
-Bill

Player is directly connected from hdmi 1. Haven't tried 2, but it shouldnt matter for $500. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this issue. My picture froze last night switching channels. All you could see was the title of the movie on the screen. It was the first such occurrence. I shut everything down but the oppo, until i finally shut it down and then picture came back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread