or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 93

post #2761 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post

I have a Western Digital My Book Essential 3TB external hard drive (NTFS formated) that I am trying to plug directly into my 103 and when I do, I get a USB logo thing in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and I am not able to see the drive. The drive supports both USB 3.0 and 2.0 (the drive receives power from an external power plug/supply). Any ideas why the drive is not showing up?

Thank you,

BD6675


Thanks to jboileau for the follow-up to my other question.

I've lost track of the status of this, but I believe the current firmware has a bug that limits the maximum supported partition size for directly attached drives to 2TB. That is, if you partitioned the drive as 2TB and 1TB, I suspect it would work (2 drives seen). This is just a bug. If you are not using the 1114B Public Beta firmware, you might want to try testing it on there to see if the fix is already included in that version.
--Bob
post #2762 of 16358
Thank you, Bob. Does anyone know if this has been resolved with 1114B (I will install it when I get home)? I am running 1018. Does Oppo post a change log for each firmware release to see if this particular know issue has been addressed and resolved?

Thank you,

BD6675
post #2763 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

Connected somewhat with the phantom center issue I am interested to know if one can run the 103 without a receiver at all.
I have 4 very high end full range speakers (I image my center from my fronts and have only 2 rears behind me). Speakers are all driven by matching monoblock amps. I have no desire whatsoever to tinker with the audio performance in my HT but would love to be told that the 103 can essentially function as a preamp for my audio chain by running 4 audio cables off the 7.1 analog outs to my monoblocks and using the volume control on the 103. Is this technically possible or do I need a receiver? For the video it will be HDMI up to my projector.
Thanks,
Dave M

I have read most of the posts and I didn't see an answer specifically to this posts. Again sorry if I missed the answer to this post if one was made. I have a similar situation and am curious about the answer or comments regarding this issue. I know that it says that the Oppo 103 can be used as a preamp/pro, but has anyone actually made the hookup and what were/are the pros and cons.
post #2764 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

Connected somewhat with the phantom center issue I am interested to know if one can run the 103 without a receiver at all.
I have 4 very high end full range speakers (I image my center from my fronts and have only 2 rears behind me). Speakers are all driven by matching monoblock amps. I have no desire whatsoever to tinker with the audio performance in my HT but would love to be told that the 103 can essentially function as a preamp for my audio chain by running 4 audio cables off the 7.1 analog outs to my monoblocks and using the volume control on the 103. Is this technically possible or do I need a receiver? For the video it will be HDMI up to my projector.
Thanks,
Dave M

I have read most of the posts and I didn't see an answer specifically to this posts. Again sorry if I missed the answer to this post if one was made. I have a similar situation and am curious about the answer or comments regarding this issue. I know that it says that the Oppo 103 can be used as a preamp/pro, but has anyone actually made the hookup and what were/are the pros and cons.

As to the specific question on the phantom center, the 103/105 support 4.0 and 4.1 configurations -- No Center and only one pair of Surrounds -- but not 6.0 or 6.1 -- No Center and TWO pair of Surrounds.

Regarding the specs for driving power amps directly from the 103/105 -- no pre-amp in between -- see this short technical note posted by OPPO UK (a PDF file):

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

If these specs are of concern to you, and you really want to do this with a 103, you should probably email OPPO Tech Support to make sure the specs also hold true for the multi-channel Analog outputs of the 103.

You'll find most of the discussion of direct connection like this happening in the BDP-105 Owner's Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread

Scan through that thread, and you'll see that lots of folks have been trying this, and seem to be quite happy with the results. Of course that's with a 105, which has a more exotic Analog audio output stage than the 103.
--Bob
post #2765 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post

I have a Western Digital My Book Essential 3TB external hard drive (NTFS formated) that I am trying to plug directly into my 103 and when I do, I get a USB logo thing in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and I am not able to see the drive. The drive supports both USB 3.0 and 2.0 (the drive receives power from an external power plug/supply). Any ideas why the drive is not showing up?
Thank you,
BD6675
Thanks to jboileau for the follow-up to my other question.

I don't know if it is fixed. But in case you are not aware 3TB drive do not have the same partion table as before. 2.2TB uses MBR (master boot record) partition table. But that scheme is limited to 2.2TB and under. For the new 3TB drives it has been necessary to create a new partition table scheme called GPT (Globally unique identifier Partition Table). I haven't tried a large drive with my Oppo, but the FAQ states that GPT is supported. I guess it is broken if you are having problems.
post #2766 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I don't know if it is fixed. But in case you are not aware 3TB drive do not have the same partion table as before. 2.2TB uses MBR (master boot record) partition table. But that scheme is limited to 2.2TB and under. For the new 3TB drives it has been necessary to create a new partition table scheme called GPT (Globally unique identifier Partition Table). I haven't tried a large drive with my Oppo, but the FAQ states that GPT is supported. I guess it is broken if you are having problems.

Well, I can tell you that my drive was formatted using the mbr partition table. So, you think that is the reason for it not displaying? If I format it using the GPT partition table that would do the trick?
post #2767 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Why, [does playing a FLAC music file via USB sound better than playing the disc the file came from] due to jitter introduced by the disk drive? Whether anyone can actually detect that (and not just believe they are hearing it due to bias, expectations, other uncontrolled variables, etc.) is another story.

Because music playback is ALWAYS a fully analog experience, even when it is the digital domain. Timing is hypercritical in music playback because music playback happens in real time (digital video is a series of still images, it's not "real time" motion). The effects of timing (uniformity of the space between bits, aka jitter) has been MEASURED and PROVEN mathematically. Timing errors in the low 100s of picoseconds produce measurable distortion in the analog output signal that is measurable... in fact, now we can measure both the jitter and the average timing variation (jitter) and correlate them. In addition in the 1990s, Prof. Malcolm Omar Hawksford Ph.D produced a mathematical proof that jitter in the low 100s of picoseconds produces predictable and measurable distortion in the analog music signal produced from a digital original. There appears to be SOMETHING about playing discs that never sounds quite as good as playing FLAC files made from the same discs. In fact, the best performing "disc transport" I've ever heard for playing CDs reads the entire disc before starting to play music. It holds the entire contents of the disc in memory at which point, the entire disc drive system is turned off. There are 2 reasons people convert entire music libraries into losslessly compressed FLAC or ALAC (or uncompressed AIFF or WAV files... the convenience factor is significant, no doubt, but those with good systems also notice that the music sounds better played from FLAC (or other lossless formats) files, even though computers aren't designed to be particularly low-jitter devices (nor do they need to be for most anything the computer does except play music). The issue is how big the differences are... they aren't the sort of differences you'd hear if you went to your best friend's home and after 10 years of hearing his system, he was playing music using a computer and FLAC files for the first time... chances are, you wouldn't notice or detect anything. But in YOUR system, given time to focus without outside interruptions, and decent (doesn't have to be grossly expensive) gear, it's not that hard to detect that playing a FLAC file sounds better than playing the disc. It's not a big slap-you-in-the-face improvement which is what throws a lot of people. It's not a microscopic difference either, but the difference is clearly more towards the microscopic end of the scale than the huge slap-you-in-the-face end of the scale. If you never sit and listen to music in a dark room for the sheer enjoyment of it, focused entirely on the music and how well (or poorly) individual elements are captured in the recording, the difference in playback quality would probably never be apparent to you.
post #2768 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post


Well, I can tell you that my drive was formatted using the mbr partition table. So, you think that is the reason for it not displaying? If I format it using the GPT partition table that would do the trick?

It's formatted MBR and you are seeing a single 3TB partition when mounted on a PC? That's not supposed to be possible, so is a mystery.

GPT is supposed to be supported on the 103, but I do recall a report of a glitch, maybe for maximum partition size? Ask OPPO support and let us know what they say.

-Bill
post #2769 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It's formatted MBR and you are seeing a single 3TB partition when mounted on a PC? That's not supposed to be possible, so is a mystery.
GPT is supposed to be supported on the 103, but I do recall a report of a glitch, maybe for maximum partition size? Ask OPPO support and let us know what they say.
-Bill

Yes. When I first plugged in the drive, my PC did not recognize it in Windows Explorer but DID recognize it in Computer Management with the label: "GPT Protective Partition". I then followed these instructions to get the drive to have a MBR partition table with NTFS:

http://www.hgst.com/support/general-faqs/disk-management-says-my-hitachi-hard-drive-is-a-gpt-protective-partition

I know for certain that XP (my PC is an XP machine) can not handle GPT (without the use of a third party tool) and that was why I formatted the drive to MBR in the first place. I guess the first thing I will do is update the firmware on the 103 and then format the drive back to GPT and test functionality. If that does not work, I will split the drive into 2 partitions...if that fails I will talk to OPPO support. I will report back either way.

Thank you for all the advice.
post #2770 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post

Yes. When I first plugged in the drive, my PC did not recognize it in Windows Explorer but DID recognize it in Computer Management with the label: "GPT Protective Partition". I then followed these instructions to get the drive to have a MBR partition table with NTFS:
http://www.hgst.com/support/general-faqs/disk-management-says-my-hitachi-hard-drive-is-a-gpt-protective-partition
I know for certain that XP (my PC is an XP machine) can not handle GPT (without the use of a third party tool) and that was why I formatted the drive to MBR in the first place. I guess the first thing I will do is update the firmware on the 103 and then format the drive back to GPT and test functionality. If that does not work, I will split the drive into 2 partitions...if that fails I will talk to OPPO support. I will report back either way.
Thank you for all the advice.

It needs to be GPT. And as Bob already said until they fix the firmware you will need to format into partitions of 2 TB or less. I have a 2.5 TB drive that works with no issues on the 103 with 2 x 1.25 TB GPT partitions.
post #2771 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

It needs to be GPT. And as Bob already said until they fix the firmware you will need to format into partitions of 2 TB or less. I have a 2.5 TB drive that works with no issues on the 103 with 2 x 1.25 TB GPT partitions.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
post #2772 of 16358
Need some help please! I am in the process of upgrading my sony blu ray s350. I really like all the positive feedback the Oppo 103 has received. Not sure if my HT system will benefit from all Oppo has to offer. I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro 50 plasma with a Pioneer Elite SC25 receiver 1.3 HDMI. Is the Oppo an over kill for my somewhat dated system? Is the extra money worth it? Will I get better PQ and SQ with the Oppo 103? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
post #2773 of 16358
Possibly silly question: does all video inputed through the 103's HDMI inputs get up-converted by default or is there a specific thing we need to do to enable upconversion?
post #2774 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As to the specific question on the phantom center, the 103/105 support 4.0 and 4.1 configurations -- No Center and only one pair of Surrounds -- but not 6.0 or 6.1 -- No Center and TWO pair of Surrounds.Regarding the specs for driving power amps directly from the 103/105 -- no pre-amp in between -- see this short technical note posted by OPPO UK (a PDF file):http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf If these specs are of concern to you, and you really want to do this with a 103, you should probably email OPPO Tech Support to make sure the specs also hold true for the multi-channel Analog outputs of the 103.--Bob

So did you try it yourself, maybe I can sell the Classe SSP-800
post #2775 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Why, [does playing a FLAC music file via USB sound better than playing the disc the file came from] due to jitter introduced by the disk drive? Whether anyone can actually detect that (and not just believe they are hearing it due to bias, expectations, other uncontrolled variables, etc.) is another story.
Because music playback is ALWAYS a fully analog experience, even when it is the digital domain. Timing is hypercritical in music playback because music playback happens in real time

Vinnie, it's important to note that while jitter at the time of Digital to Analog conversion occurs, if you are using HDMI this is not an issue. When audio of any type (music only, or in a movie) is played over HDMI the audio is sent to your receiver ahead of time in chunks, and each chunk is played back later in much the same way you would transfer a file from one PC to another then play it later. The timing only matters if you're using analog out on your 103 - are you? Also, if the 103 uses the same buffering for CD vs USB playback, then there will be no difference either. So without knowing the implementation of CD vs. USB in the Oppo, it is hard to say if USB vs. CD would make a difference in the Oppo's analog (but certainly not over HDMI).
post #2776 of 16358
I was referencing digital audio (which I use, and I enjoy music quite a bit....have to temper it due to a hyperacusis problem that is irritated with a high enough decibel/frequency level). However, I am always wary about absolute claims regarding sound quality without the controlled listening environment to back it up (difficult to set up admittedly).
post #2777 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

There's one more test you can try: if you have a drive available (or perhaps your WD server itself?) try connecting it directly to the Oppo via USB and see if the problem files play when connected directly. This could help determine where the problem is occurring. FWIW, is your Oppo connected to your network via wifi or wired? A specific point in a video where the total bitrate exceeds your network capacity could also cause a repeatable problem.

Finally had some time to test it. I worked with USB stick. It worked. I am glad to know that 103 can handle all file types that i have.

Now its a good theory about play stopping because bitrate of video exceeding the network bandwidth. If it the bitrate did exceed the bandwidth, I would expect the player to start buffering but not just stop and kick me out of the video. My VT50 connected through wireless had no problem playing the file (VT50 uses 5GHz frequency so that could explain why it works if it really is a bandwith issue). If I have to guess, I think it might be a bug in dlna client or some networking code.

Thanks for suggestion.
post #2778 of 16358
I had time this weekend to watch different discs and still can't get over the bluray picture quality...it is certainly better than my BDP-440 but not night and day difference. As far as DVD' I was dissapointed in the picture quality and actually thought the BDP-440 using the QDEO in my VSX-1121 was better. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
post #2779 of 16358
Question regarding differential results comparing BDP-103 playing a CD via coaxial to an external 32 bit Fostex HP-A7 DAC, and then running analog RCA L & R to a tubed Cayin headphone amp playing audio-technica ADH AD900 headphones.

I did the same exact thing playing the same CDs from a old Denon DVD-2900 player. The sound on the BDP-103 was top-notch, good soundstage, quite vivid, but the Denon was a failure.

So what is in the electronics of the BDP-103 which synergized so well with the Fostex DAC and the tubed headphone amp. Or perhaps it is because the Denon was simply old?
post #2780 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by variable audio View Post

...
I am very satisfied using my OPPO 93 as a one-box "system" with a pair of Paradigm Active-20's plugged directly into the analog outs.
...
The last 13 years the Philips was plugged directly into the Active 20's.
...
while controlling the volume with the Oppo remote. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin View Post

no volume control or pre-amps in the powered speakers - I'm using the Oppo's volume control

Thanks, but are you sure that Oppo's volume control (+/- on the remote) doesn't reduce the audio resolution (quality)?
Some say it does. My recent test confirmed such opinion. I connected my Oppo 93's front analog outs to my stereo power amp's inputs. To achieve confortable music volume I had to significantly reduce the volume on my Oppo's remote. The music played, it's true, but between the songs, standing near the speaker I could hear significant noise, which was never the case during my regular listening.
I like the idea of "no AVR" very much. So, I would have been delighted if there was no noise.
Maybe my noise had some other origin? Maybe 103's remote volume control is different from 93's?
post #2781 of 16358
^ If you are hearing noise that's not due to the low Volume setting you are using. Something else is wrong, or there is just noise recorded in the content across those track changes.
--Bob
post #2782 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Question regarding differential results comparing BDP-103 playing a CD via coaxial to an external 32 bit Fostex HP-A7 DAC, and then running analog RCA L & R to a tubed Cayin headphone amp playing audio-technica ADH AD900 headphones.

I did the same exact thing playing the same CDs from a old Denon DVD-2900 player. The sound on the BDP-103 was top-notch, good soundstage, quite vivid, but the Denon was a failure.

So what is in the electronics of the BDP-103 which synergized so well with the Fostex DAC and the tubed headphone amp. Or perhaps it is because the Denon was simply old?

Not enough information. Perhaps the Denon was simply broken.
--Bob
post #2783 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As to the specific question on the phantom center, the 103/105 support 4.0 and 4.1 configurations -- No Center and only one pair of Surrounds -- but not 6.0 or 6.1 -- No Center and TWO pair of Surrounds.
Regarding the specs for driving power amps directly from the 103/105 -- no pre-amp in between -- see this short technical note posted by OPPO UK (a PDF file):
http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf
If these specs are of concern to you, and you really want to do this with a 103, you should probably email OPPO Tech Support to make sure the specs also hold true for the multi-channel Analog outputs of the 103.
You'll find most of the discussion of direct connection like this happening in the BDP-105 Owner's Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread
Scan through that thread, and you'll see that lots of folks have been trying this, and seem to be quite happy with the results. Of course that's with a 105, which has a more exotic Analog audio output stage than the 103.
--Bob

Thanks Bob I looked at the 105 thread and found many people using the 105 as a preamp. I am concerned that many of them seemed to be having problems with lip sync issues and Oppo has not fixed. Also another person had problems with their subwoofer not playing in certain conditions. In general it seems that Oppo has connection issues with Directv and using the 105 as a preamp may not be trouble free. I still don't know about the 103 having these issues as no one has posted there experience with the 103.
post #2784 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

I had time this weekend to watch different discs and still can't get over the bluray picture quality...it is certainly better than my BDP-440 but not night and day difference. As far as DVD' I was dissapointed in the picture quality and actually thought the BDP-440 using the QDEO in my VSX-1121 was better. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

When testing video quality on SD-DVDs, BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE OFFICIAL 1018 FIRMWARE! There is a known, nasty problem with de-interlacing SD-DVDs in the Public Beta 1114B firmware. You can move back and forth between the current Official firmware and the Public Beta if you want to try things from both. (Install either way via USB stick.) The SD-DVD problem in the Public Beta is mentioned in the release notes for the Public Beta. As stated, it's just a bug and will undoubtedly be fixed.

If you are using the Official 1018 firmware, then double check your video calibration settings -- ideally with the aid of a calibration disc. If you are using a different input into your Display for the two players then it is quite possible that some setting did not get copied over correctly. SD-DVD is far less forgiving of calibration issues than Blu-ray. That is, the difference between "Right" and "Nearly Right" is much more visible when playing SD-DVDs because the lower resolution gives them no margin for error.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 12/4/12 at 3:16am
post #2785 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

It needs to be GPT. And as Bob already said until they fix the firmware you will need to format into partitions of 2 TB or less. I have a 2.5 TB drive that works with no issues on the 103 with 2 x 1.25 TB GPT partitions.

I reformatted my 3TB external hard drive and made it GPT and then I partitioned the drive into 2 1.5TB partitions but now it seems I am having a different issue. When I plug the drive directly into the 103, it sees both partitions now but when I go into either partition, all I see are the root folders I created for my media (I have a music folder, a blu-ray folder and a TV Show folder). When I try to go into any of the folders, I am not seeing any of the sub-folders. When I try to go back a level, the player freezes up and I have to power cycle. In addition, I am unable to play any video files at the root of either partition. I see the files and I can tell what type of file it is, but when I click on the file to play it, nothing happens. It doesn't say file format not supported or anything else for that matter, it just does nothing. Anyone else experience this and have an idea what is going on and how to resolve it?

Thank you,

BD6675
post #2786 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

When testing video quality on SD-DVDs, BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE OFFICIAL 1018 FIRMWARE! There is a known, nasty problem with de-interlacing SD-DVDs in the Public Beta 1114B firmware. You can move back and forth between the current Official firmware and the Public Beta if you want to try things from both. (Install either way via USB stick.) The SD-DVD problem in the Public Beta is mentioned in the release notes for the Public Beta. As stated, it's just a bug and will undoubtedly be fixed.
If you are using the Official 1018 firmware, then double check your video calibration settings -- ideally with the aid of a calibration disc. If you are using a different input into your Display for the two players then it is quite possible that some setting did not get copied over correctly. SD-DVD is far less forgiving of calibration issues than Blu-ray. That is, the difference between "Right" and "Nearly Right" is much more visible when playing SD-DVDs because the lower resolution gives them no margin for error.
--Bob

I am using 1018. I do not have the display calibrated but I do have a Video Essentials calibration disc. Do you think this disc would be of help or should I get the Spears and Munsil disc? Thanks.
post #2787 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

I am using 1018. I do not have the display calibrated but I do have a Video Essentials calibration disc. Do you think this disc would be of help or should I get the Spears and Munsil disc? Thanks.

I like Spears & Munsil, but you should get started with the disc you have now. Keep in mind that your prior player may have had some peculiarity in its output which you "corrected" using the settings in the TV, so the same video level settings that were correct for that player may not be right for the 103.

In the 103, set all the Picture Adjustment settings to their factory default (0) values. That sets the 103 to produce reference video levels in the HDMI output. Make any necessary calibration adjustments using the settings in your TV. In addition to the basic video level settings for blacks, whites, colors, and sharpness, you will also need to select the correct Picture Mode and Color Temperature in your TV and disable any video "enhancement" features, since they typically do more harm than good.

Just keep firmly in mind that the OPPO BDP-103 puts out very VERY good upscaled DVD video quality. So if you are not seeing that -- if it is not AT LEAST on par with your prior player -- that should be a big Red Flag to you that something is not right in your setup. The trick is to find it.
--Bob
post #2788 of 16358

OPPO 103 as pre/pro??

So I was reading the HTreview article on the OPPO 103 and this bit caught my eye:
Quote:
Because Marvell's video processing is so highly regarded, Oppo included two HDMI inputs with the BDP-103 allowing other non-Oppo devices to take full advantage of its internal scaling and processing abilities. For example, you can now connect your HD DVR or Satellite receiver to the Oppo to enhance your broadcast viewing experience, a job that maybe once fell to your AV receiver or preamp. Speaking of AV preamps, the BDP-103 has a digital volume control, as well as user-selectable speaker and crossover controls, meaning it can serve as its own AV preamp. You could feasibly connect the BDP-103 to a five- or seven-channel power amp and have everything you need to operate a top-flight multi-channel system - no AV preamp required.

So let me ask this. Could the 103 be used as a pre/pro?? In my theater I watch directv and play xbox, besides watching blurays currently through the PS3. I have no need to hook anything else up, and the OPPO would take the place of the PS3. So knowing I only have a sat receiver (HDMI) and an XBOX (HDMI) could I get everything from the OPPO I currently get from my Pioneer 1018 receiver? I have an Emotiva 5 channel amp that i pre out to anyway. So right now the Pioneer only sends the signal to the amp from the sources. It seems like this might simplify things. I have always thought a modern receiver should just do away with all the analog connections anyway. This honestly has me interested.

Any thought?
post #2789 of 16358
If you read through this and the 105 threads, you will find that a number of people are doing this with a good deal of success. There are a couple of things to be careful of after firmware updates or resets (the volume on the Oppo gets reset to 100%) and the generally lower average volume of BDs compared to CDs has caused problems for a few people.
post #2790 of 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

So I was reading the HTreview article on the OPPO 103 and this bit caught my eye:
So let me ask this. Could the 103 be used as a pre/pro?? In my theater I watch directv and play xbox, besides watching blurays currently through the PS3. I have no need to hook anything else up, and the OPPO would take the place of the PS3. So knowing I only have a sat receiver (HDMI) and an XBOX (HDMI) could I get everything from the OPPO I currently get from my Pioneer 1018 receiver? I have an Emotiva 5 channel amp that i pre out to anyway. So right now the Pioneer only sends the signal to the amp from the sources. It seems like this might simplify things. I have always thought a modern receiver should just do away with all the analog connections anyway. This honestly has me interested.
Any thought?

This is how i intend to use my BDP-103 and BDP-105.

But right now my cable box is not usable via the HDMI inputs because of the audio lag (half a second I'd say).

I also tried to output Digital from my cable box via TOSLINK to the BDP-105 - same lag problem.

I do like the way they handle the video upscaling and interlacing - big gain there IMHO.

Hoping Oppo's engineers come out with a fix for this soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread