or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 97

post #2881 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Just got my January issue of home theater and yep, there it is the oppo 103 on the front cover!..very nice review
5 stars all around...of course!.
Actually, it only got 4 1/2 stars for value. The review mentions that it is a bit pricey compared to other players but still worth every penny. It is the magazine's recommended mid-price player though.
post #2882 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Just got my January issue of home theater and yep, there it is the oppo 103 on the front cover!..very nice review
5 stars all around...of course!....just one question..they said when you first power up the player you have to manually choose what HDMI input you want by pressing input on the remote..I need this to be wife and kid friendly..just trained them how to use my harmony one remote..witch is a no-brainer..lol
I hope I can just push 'watch bluray, on the remote and it just starts playing...if they have to push another button ..I know..I know..Houston we may have a problem..ha!..I'm picking this baby up in 6 days..and don't think I have ever been so dam excited, I was not even this excited waiting 4 days for my parasound halo amp to be delivered...wow. Its just a blu.-ray player fer crying out loud...or is it something better!...check out the review in home theater mag!..peace oppo tarians!

If you want to play DVD/Bluray or any other function on the Oppo itself, the Harmony will do everything and it will be family friendly. The HDMI selection is necessary for INPUT only, meaning something else outputing a signal through the Oppo. For instance, if you have a cablebox linked to the Oppo through HDMI INPUT, you must select this input manually.
Even in this case you can use the Harmonny with some macros to do the job but you must be prepared to some try and error since you have to time all the commands.
post #2883 of 16372
Re-posting this here in the correct thread. Sorry if you read this in the 83 thread:

Happy with my purchase thus far. I've really put the 103 through it's paces over the last 2 weeks. I use it for CDs/SACDs/DVD-As and DVDs/Blu-Rays - incl. 3D. I much prefer the DACs in my Marantz AV7005. The only bummer with it is it does not decode DSD. For this I have to use the OPPO and send out the signal as PCM. I am however disappointed that OPPO down-samples DSD. Not sure why they do this, but maybe it's because Sony will not allow them to send out 176.4kHZ? That said, it still sounds pretty damn good. Might be ~10% less than my dedicated old Sony ES Transport, but I needed to eliminate some components in my system. No complaints on the video performance. I run it thru the Marantz (video pass-thru mode) to my Panny 65" VT30 Plasma. The signal might be better running it directly to the TV, but I haven't played around with audio over 1 HDMI and video over the other enough to figure how it works. The only time I tried, I wasn't able to get any audio at all. So I will just live with it for now since it looks awesome anyway. And as others have said, this thing is built rock-solid. I've never owned a transport that would load blu-rays so fast. It brings a smile to my face every time I load a new blu-ray smile.gif
post #2884 of 16372
Regarding handshake issues/freezing with Oppo 103 and Comcast's Motorola DCH 3416 DVR, has there been any resolution yet? I have the same DVR from Comcast, brand new, as is the Oppo 103 (of course ;-)) and they have issues syncing through the HDMI-in. Audio/Video blink on and off every several seconds. I can get it to finally sync after (apparently) switching the Comcast set-top to view an SD broadcast, and when/if it calms down and syncs I can then switch to an HD broadcast or the DVR stored broadcasts and all seems well. I get freezes doing other things but didn't write down when they occurred. I'm waiting to get my AV pre/pro back and will be connecting the Comcast DVR to it then, so who knows what will happen at that point!
post #2885 of 16372
Thread Starter 
Release date: December 6, 2012
Category: Latest Public Beta Release
Main Version: BDP10X-38-1205B
Loader Version: 6U0900 (BDP-103), 7B0600 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)

1. Improved audio/video synchronization for disc playback, internet streaming, and external HDMI/MHL inputs. In the previous firmware, customers have been reporting that the sound could be out of sync with the picture. This issue has been improved in this Beta firmware.
2. Resolved the DVD de-interlacing performance issue of previous Public Beta firmware BDP10X-37-1114B. DVD de-interlacing performance in the previous Public Beta firmware was not as good as that of the current official firmware release BDP10X-33-1018. This new Public Beta firmware has resolved the issue and DVD de-interlacing performance is as good as the official firmware.
3. Improved media file navigation speed on USB hard disk or thumb drives. This is achieved by caching some of the media information in an "OPPO_Media_Info" folder on the USB drive. For users who prefer that the player not write anything to the USB drive, there is a "Cache Media Info" item in the "Setup Menu" under "Device Setup". We recommend that you set this "Cache Media Info" option to ON and do not delete the "OPPO_Media_Info" folder and its files. This will deliver user experience improvement in media navigation. On the other hand, turning this option OFF can prevent the player from writing to your USB drive, at the cost of slower media file navigation.
4. Added the support for DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD sound tracks in MKV files. As with any user-encoded media files, compatibility still depends on the software and techniques used to encode the media files.
5. General disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
Special notices: you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive.
post #2886 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Actually, it only got 4 1/2 stars for value. The review mentions that it is a bit pricey compared to other players but still worth every penny. It is the magazine's recommended mid-price player though.[/quote
Oops my bad..well IM giving it 5 stars!
post #2887 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

If you want to play DVD/Bluray or any other function on the Oppo itself, the Harmony will do everything and it will be family friendly. The HDMI selection is necessary for INPUT only, meaning something else outputing a signal through the Oppo. For instance, if you have a cablebox linked to the Oppo through HDMI INPUT, you must select this input manually.
Even in this case you can use the Harmonny with some macros to do the job but you must be prepared to some try and error since you have to time all the commands.
OK thank you!...I have heard I could connect my dish net sat rec thru this and get a better pic,,so I will see trial and error method,lol thanks again
post #2888 of 16372
Okay guys, I'm hoping for some help...

I just received my BDP-103. The old BDP-93 is moving to the family room. Unlike the 93, I've decided to connect the HDMI 1 directly to my JVC RS25 projector and the HMDI 2 to my Denon AVR-3808 for audio as recommended. So far everything looks and sounds amazing but for one simple and relatively unimportant thing; the black screen that appears for only a second or two between trailers or intro screens is no longer black, but rather a dark grey. The blacks during trailers or the movie are black as usual, it's just the quick transition screens that are noticeably lighter and not as deep black as on my 93. Anyone know what I'm seeing?
post #2889 of 16372

Soooo  .... does the latest FW beta solve the A/V sync problem on digital inputs???

post #2890 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Okay guys, I'm hoping for some help...

I just received my BDP-103. The old BDP-93 is moving to the family room. Unlike the 93, I've decided to connect the HDMI 1 directly to my JVC RS25 projector and the HMDI 2 to my Denon AVR-3808 for audio as recommended. So far everything looks and sounds amazing but for one simple and relatively unimportant thing; the black screen that appears for only a second or two between trailers or intro screens is no longer black, but rather a dark grey. The blacks during trailers or the movie are black as usual, it's just the quick transition screens that are noticeably lighter and not as deep black as on my 93. Anyone know what I'm seeing?

I see the same thing. I'm not sure what causes it.

-Bill
post #2891 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Soooo  .... does the latest FW beta solve the A/V sync problem on digital inputs???

The release notes say "improved", not "solved". But improved may mean solved for some.

-Bill
post #2892 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is another bug in the HDMI Inputs that I want to bring up because, in most cases, the workaround is easy.
THE BUG: RGB Video Level formatted input, at HD input resolutions (720p or higher), will result in incorrect color space math being applied. The most noticeable symptoms are that Greens are too dark and high brightness colors (particularly Reds) are "clipped" -- i.e., become indistinguishable at a lower brightness than should be the case.
THE WORKAROUND: Set your Source device(s) to send YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2 video to the HDMI Inputs of the 103/105.
As it turns out, sending RGB Video Level at SD resolution (480i or 480p) to the HDMI Inputs does not exhibit this bug, but the workaround of setting YCbCr as the input format will likely be easier in most cases, even if you are experimenting with upscaling of SD video input.
As stated, this is just a bug. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
Some Displays prefer RGB as their video input format (the Pioneer Kuro displays being the ones most commonly mentioned), and so your Source devices -- for example a cable or satellite TV set top box -- may already be set to produce RGB as their output. The thing to do in that case is change the Source to send YCbCr to the OPPO, and set the OPPO to output RGB Video Level to your Display. That works.
This bug exists both in the 1018 Official Firmware and in the 1114B Public Beta Firmware.
ETA: I forgot to mention, if you press the Info button on the OPPO remote while using an HDMI Input, the on-screen display will show you what's coming in on that input for video (and audio) format. So you can easily confirm whether your Source is sending YCbCr or RGB.
--Bob

Hi, does anyone know if this bug is fixed in the latest Beta?

I ask as my Set-top-box only outputs RGB

Thanks
post #2893 of 16372
I think I may have to upgrade to the latest beta (isn't the above the 2nd one in a row? I'm still on the last official), because I am getting HDMI re-handshakes during special feature playback. It hasn't occurred in a movie proper yet, but this was the creeping behavior that the BDP-93 exhibited before I sent it to Oppo who replaced, I believe, the HDMI control board even though they couldn't repeat the problem in their lab (never to experience a dropout again in my HT upon receipt of the player after the fix). If the firmware doesn't sort it, I may remove the port saver connected to the Oppo in an effort to rule out potential culprits outside of the player.
post #2894 of 16372
couple of questions from a potential buyer:

I've read in the past couple of pages that it is recommended to run two separate HDMI signals. One for the audio and one for the video. Is this still the case if my receiver is capable of 3d? why?


Secondly, is anyone here that is currently using the 103 previously owned an HTPC? I am using an HTPC as my front end for now. I love the customization however it is a double edged sword. I find it very difficult to get the HTPC to a state where it just works. Can anyone comment on an HTPC vs. 103 when it comes to audio/video quality?


Thanks in advance guys!
post #2895 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

couple of questions from a potential buyer:

I've read in the past couple of pages that it is recommended to run two separate HDMI signals. One for the audio and one for the video. Is this still the case if my receiver is capable of 3d? why?

No, one cable is sufficient in that case.

If you experience any HDMI stability oddities, then using both HDMI outputs may be a way to improve the configuration. It is at least an option.

-Bill
post #2896 of 16372
I have had an Oppo 103, for ~1 month. Everything has been great. 2 nights ago while streaming Netflix, I started having problems. It started with repeated buffering. Then the player would lockup. I had to hold the power button for an extended period to power it down. I thought at first, maybe it was a DSL problem. I Reset the modem, but had the same issue. Yesterday was the same. I even erased memory. Other devices in the house streamed properly. I then tried the Picassa app, which worked OK, with some delays though. I then went back to Netflix and it started streaming fine, except now I have the lip sync issue, which I did not have before. The Player is connected with wired connection to the modem.
post #2897 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is a random issue, and not related to any specific firmware. When the shared PC shows up as "workgroup" you simply need to re-enter the same user and password again. The player will remember both sets of user/password data.

Ok I tried the new beta again this morning since it is up on the Oppo site and my computer shows up corectly this time. I guess this is a random issue as you say.
post #2898 of 16372
One non listed improvement of the new firmware is Gracenote info on networked drives files. Cool! If you press options and video info while playing a file you will now have the info. This wasn't happening for me with previous firmwares.

I don't see it bring cached as with thumb drives though. I don't know if it is security on my shares or this is not implemented for network drives.
post #2899 of 16372
I am curious. I have a Panasonic TH58pz700u 58" plasma (non 3D or sadly, before 24fps came out), and a pre 3D Pioneer SC05 receiver. If my Xbox (1080p) and UVerse DVR (1080i) both are HDMI, would there be any reason to spend the extra $200 to get this Oppo 103 over the current Panasonic BDT500 I had bought recently? I do have a lot of BD movies, but also a ton of DVD movies too.
post #2900 of 16372
I installed the 1205 Beta firmware last night. Only thing I tried was a blu-ray so far, but lip sync issues were non-existent for me. smile.gif
post #2901 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I am curious. I have a Panasonic TH58pz700u 58" plasma (non 3D or sadly, before 24fps came out), and a pre 3D Pioneer SC05 receiver. If my Xbox (1080p) and UVerse DVR (1080i) both are HDMI, would there be any reason to spend the extra $200 to get this Oppo 103 over the current Panasonic BDT500 I had bought recently? I do have a lot of BD movies, but also a ton of DVD movies too.

I would probably stick with your current player. Blu-ray performance will be the same. DVD may be different, but I don't know enough about the Panasonic to make a judgment.

Do you do any sort of calibration procedure? That can make a bigger difference in picture quality than swapping gear.

-Bill
post #2902 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I am curious. I have a Panasonic TH58pz700u 58" plasma (non 3D or sadly, before 24fps came out), and a pre 3D Pioneer SC05 receiver. If my Xbox (1080p) and UVerse DVR (1080i) both are HDMI, would there be any reason to spend the extra $200 to get this Oppo 103 over the current Panasonic BDT500 I had bought recently? I do have a lot of BD movies, but also a ton of DVD movies too.
I think you would not gain much from a performance standpoint and would sacrifice the ease of using the TV remote for both TV and BR operation since the Panasonic TV remotes have buttons to control Panasonic BR players.
post #2903 of 16372
BDP-103EU player review December 2012 by Steve Withers, AV Forums, UK
Quote:
OPPO may have been a little late to the Blu-ray party but when they finally did show up they certainly brought their 'A' game. The BDP-93EU was a tough act to follow but OPPO have managed it, delivering a new player with even better build quality, more features and an equally superb performance - all for the same price.
post #2904 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I am curious. I have a Panasonic TH58pz700u 58" plasma (non 3D or sadly, before 24fps came out), and a pre 3D Pioneer SC05 receiver. If my Xbox (1080p) and UVerse DVR (1080i) both are HDMI, would there be any reason to spend the extra $200 to get this Oppo 103 over the current Panasonic BDT500 I had bought recently? I do have a lot of BD movies, but also a ton of DVD movies too.
I think you would not gain much from a performance standpoint and would sacrifice the ease of using the TV remote for both TV and BR operation since the Panasonic TV remotes have buttons to control Panasonic BR players.

I use a Harmony One to control everything. But that is true in case needing a backup.

And I imagine since all my equipment is all HDMI, and can do 1080 (p, and i for the DVR), then no real bad need of the 103's upscaler. Still tempting though wink.gif But finances are not what I once had frown.gif
post #2905 of 16372
OPPO UK has now posted the 1205B Public Beta firmware for the European model players (BDP-103EU and BDP-105EU)

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/bdp-103-105eu/

--Bob
post #2906 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

One non listed improvement of the new firmware is Gracenote info on networked drives files. Cool! If you press options and video info while playing a file you will now have the info. This wasn't happening for me with previous firmwares.
I don't see it bring cached as with thumb drives though. I don't know if it is security on my shares or this is not implemented for network drives.
The caching is only implemented for devices connected via USB. My understanding is that there are no current plans to do it for SMB shares.
post #2907 of 16372
This is an awesome player; however . . .

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with stuttering across the network when playing high bitrate mkv files. When I play my mkv of Thor from an external USB 3 drive plugged into the Oppo it plays fine; the audio is DTSMA-HD bitstream. The same file across a Windows share stutters like crazy.

I have installed the Dec 6 beta firmware. My output is Oppo>Denon 4311ci>projector.

Also, mkv files with True-HD will only play if I set the output to LPCM. These are mkv files created directly from Blurays with MakeMKV Beta

I appreciate any suggestions on what to try to get smooth network playback.

Willie
post #2908 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

This is an awesome player; however . . .

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with stuttering across the network when playing high bitrate mkv files. When I play my mkv of Thor from an external USB 3 drive plugged into the Oppo it plays fine; the audio is DTSMA-HD bitstream. The same file across a Windows share stutters like crazy.

I have installed the Dec 6 beta firmware. My output is Oppo>Denon 4311ci>projector.

Also, mkv files with True-HD will only play if I set the output to LPCM. These are mkv files created directly from Blurays with MakeMKV Beta

I appreciate any suggestions on what to try to get smooth network playback.

Willie

Wireless or wired?

-Bill
post #2909 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

This is an awesome player; however . . .
I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with stuttering across the network when playing high bitrate mkv files. When I play my mkv of Thor from an external USB 3 drive plugged into the Oppo it plays fine; the audio is DTSMA-HD bitstream. The same file across a Windows share stutters like crazy.
I have installed the Dec 6 beta firmware. My output is Oppo>Denon 4311ci>projector.
Also, mkv files with True-HD will only play if I set the output to LPCM. These are mkv files created directly from Blurays with MakeMKV Beta
I appreciate any suggestions on what to try to get smooth network playback.
Willie
1) It's your network (or your server) causing the stuttering. If you are using a wifi connection be advised that one pretty much needs a perfect signal to get the real world bandwidth to stream full bitrate Blu Ray backups. If you are using a wired connection check the configuration of your routers and switches. It WILL work when everything is configured properly.

2) True-HD limited to LPCM with non-physical disc content is a known limitation.
post #2910 of 16372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is another bug in the HDMI Inputs that I want to bring up because, in most cases, the workaround is easy.
THE BUG: RGB Video Level formatted input, at HD input resolutions (720p or higher), will result in incorrect color space math being applied. The most noticeable symptoms are that Greens are too dark and high brightness colors (particularly Reds) are "clipped" -- i.e., become indistinguishable at a lower brightness than should be the case.
THE WORKAROUND: Set your Source device(s) to send YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2 video to the HDMI Inputs of the 103/105.
As it turns out, sending RGB Video Level at SD resolution (480i or 480p) to the HDMI Inputs does not exhibit this bug, but the workaround of setting YCbCr as the input format will likely be easier in most cases, even if you are experimenting with upscaling of SD video input.
As stated, this is just a bug. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
Some Displays prefer RGB as their video input format (the Pioneer Kuro displays being the ones most commonly mentioned), and so your Source devices -- for example a cable or satellite TV set top box -- may already be set to produce RGB as their output. The thing to do in that case is change the Source to send YCbCr to the OPPO, and set the OPPO to output RGB Video Level to your Display. That works.
This bug exists both in the 1018 Official Firmware and in the 1114B Public Beta Firmware.
ETA: I forgot to mention, if you press the Info button on the OPPO remote while using an HDMI Input, the on-screen display will show you what's coming in on that input for video (and audio) format. So you can easily confirm whether your Source is sending YCbCr or RGB.
--Bob

Hi, does anyone know if this bug is fixed in the latest Beta?

I ask as my Set-top-box only outputs RGB

Thanks

This bug is *NOT* yet fixed in the 1205B Public Beta firmware.

Are you sure your Set Top Box only outputs RGB? I ask because the "default" output format for HDMI is YCbCr 4:4:4, and thus it would be highly unusual for a home theater, HDMI-capable device to not offer that as output.

Now for some such boxes, finding the setting to change can be a bit of a challenge. Check the owner's thread here at AVS for your particular model of box.

But just for one example, the cable TV boxes made by Motorola (widely used by cable companies throughout the US) access this setting as follows:

1) Using the remote for the cable TV box, power OFF the cable TV box.

2) With the box still powered OFF, press the Menu button on the remote. Video will become live on the supposedly "OFF" box, and the special settings menu will be displayed.

3) On the first page of that special Menu will be a line for Additional HDMI Settings. Select that.

4) This will bring up a 2nd Menu page which includes the video output setting (YCbCr or RGB). Set YCbCr 4:4:4

5) Press Menu to exit this special Menu

6) Power Up the cable TV box as normal. Your new setting should now be in effect.

--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread