or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 121

post #3601 of 16361
I am experiencing a strange issue. I am not technical so I will describe it as best I can. In certain scenes, such as, a city at night with some of the night sky showing, I experience moving sparkles in the sky. Almost like the start of a transporter effect on Star Trek. I am using HDMI 1 out. I had to set my noise reduction on the OPPO to +4 which helped about 90 to 95%(if I go higher or lower on this setting, the sparkling effect gets worse). If I increase the sharpness setting on my oppo even by a +1 the sparkles get worse. I set my sharpness to -5 and that helped some too. I am wondering if I have a setting in the TV versus something in the OPPO that are working against one another? I really have no idea here, so I am not even sure if I am asking the right question. Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #3602 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Just got the Rolling STones Grrr! Blu ray audio disc.
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing on the menu. Very simple, shows the current track playing, then the upper right of the screen are the numbers 1-50 in
a grid pattern so you can jump directly to a track. Then below that are the 3 audio options (PCM, DTS-HD, Dolby HD). On my Oppo 103 , it keeps flashing maybe every 10 secs very fast
like it is refreshing the screen. The numbers and letters are white on black background so it's kind of annoying.like a strobe light. Anyone else have this disc and see this?

Yea I see it too, although it is fairly random. Not sure how many have it in the US since it is an import. You would think they could have spent a little more effort on the menu authoring, I mean is it asking too much to at least have the song titles? Sound quality on the other hand is pretty darn good. I'll drop Oppo a line and see what they say about it.
post #3603 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS2008 View Post

I am experiencing a strange issue. I am not technical so I will describe it as best I can. In certain scenes, such as, a city at night with some of the night sky showing, I experience moving sparkles in the sky. Almost like the start of a transporter effect on Star Trek. I am using HDMI 1 out. I had to set my noise reduction on the OPPO to +4 which helped about 90 to 95%(if I go higher or lower on this setting, the sparkling effect gets worse). If I increase the sharpness setting on my oppo even by a +1 the sparkles get worse. I set my sharpness to -5 and that helped some too. I am wondering if I have a setting in the TV versus something in the OPPO that are working against one another? I really have no idea here, so I am not even sure if I am asking the right question. Any thoughts or suggestions?

"Sparkling" is almost always a cable issue, try a better cable. You can also try turning off deep color and try changing resolution to 1080i temporarily. If it goes away it is likely the cable.
post #3604 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post


Thanks guys .. right now, it seems the only thing the roku stick has which the Oppo doesn't is the Amazon Prime support. I played a few of my Prime movies (Stargate Atlantis series) and the images looked soft to me, between VHS and DVD quality. I don't know what codec AP uses but its not that great IMO.

It seems the Oppo has all the critical apps which are also duplicated on the roku stick. I may have to return it for a refund. And the big stick sticking out of my player is quite distracting in my system now ...
The big stick sticking out is easy to resolve see Monoprice. You can use one of these male to female adapters easily.



As for Stargate Atlantis, heck $72 buys you the complete BD set (seasons 1 - 4) on Amazon, heck a lot better then Amazon streaming.

The Roku Stick also offers a lot music services streaming. (new Spotify and Vevo channels just added)

Happy Holidays.

 

Great idea John, Thanks!

post #3605 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Good morning OPPO fans and Merry Christmas all,
Add me to the list of giddy dads who received a 103 for Christmas (thanks to my wife). My first post in this thread yet have been a somewhat longtime OPPO owner since the 981 and have been enjoying the 93 since pre-order Nov 09. The 93 has been in the HT mated to a JVC RS15. Still has the ISO capable firmware and haven't had any issues with exception to a handshake now and then. Recently purchased our first 3D display, Panny 60GT50 - and have blessed it with the 103. Instal was fun and uneventful, updated to the latest FW release and am streaming from my Synology NAS as I type.
This setup is in our main family/living room where I have an old Yamaha DSP-A1 - had since new in 96 and it still sounds better than most of the current receivers. I only mention this as I connected the 103 via analog 5.1 to the DSP. This is a first for any of my OPPO's let alone any audio device. Much better 5.1 soundstage out if the DSP vs optical. For any interested the 103 is working flawlessly with my Synology 1812+ as well.

Enough of my typical ownership bliss - I spent numerous hours reading through this thread in the past month(s), just like the 93 thread. As many have before I can only thank the OPPO experts/testers that place a great deal of time and expertise on this forum informing all on the functions, capabilities and like every product, the pros and cons. I have no idea of your relationship with OPPO Digital, yet you definitely provide an invaluable service.

Thank you all.

 

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?

post #3606 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

When you press the INFO button on your receiver remote, what is the incoming audio information?
I just found a "status" button on the front panel of my receiver.

If I play a DTS HD MA 7.1 source, with the 103 HDMI output set to LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 1/5 ENGLISH DTS HD MA 7.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.
When I press the status button on my receiver, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".

If I change the 103 HDMI audio to bitstream, it still says the same thing on the screen when I press info.
When I press the status button on the receiver, it says "DTS 48khz format = 3/2/.1".

If I play a DTS ES discrete source, in EITHER bitstream, OR LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 2/5 ENGLISH DTS 6.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.

However, when I press status on my receiver, when the 103 is set to LPCM, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
When I switch the 103 to bitstream, and press status, my receiver says "DTS 48khz format = 3/3/.1

So, with a 6.1 or 7.1 source, the 103 will not send it as LPCM.
Instead, it sends the 5.1 DTS core.

The 103 will send 6.1 bitstream that my receiver can decode.

But it won't decode the same, and send it as LPCM to my receiver.
And it won't send 7.1 as bitstream. Not that my receiver could decode that anyway.
post #3607 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?

We have a 30 terabyte RS2212+ (same processor memory as DS1512+) that streams six standard def iso's concurrently 24 hours a day. It should be plenty powerful streaming a BD or two at once. We have used the entry level DS112 with success also.
post #3608 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

Since you have been so incredibly insistent on this point, I went so far as to remove the HDMI cable from the Oppo to the display.
So, I have just one HDMI cable connected to the Oppo 103.
It is going from HDMI 2, to the input on my receiver.
I still have the same problem.


It has to be an EDID problem as the Oppo thinks your AVR is limited to 5.1 channels which it would get from the EDID.

Confused though as I did not think the Oppo did anything to the data if it was being bitstreamed. In other words it sent data as it was on disc and player decoded it and folded the 7.1 back to 5.1 if it needed to?
post #3609 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

"Sparkling" is almost always a cable issue, try a better cable. You can also try turning off deep color and try changing resolution to 1080i temporarily. If it goes away it is likely the cable.

I had been using a short 3 foot Monster HDMI cable(I know, I won't be purchasing any further Monster cables) and I switched it with the HDMI cable that OPPO sends with the player but it made no difference.

What else might be the cause?
post #3610 of 16361
I noticed something else, since I hooked up the 7.1 analog outputs.

When running the audio tests on DVE, the NEO-6 downmixing doesn't seem to work at all.
The SB speakers are "dead" regardless of what I have selected in the Oppo menu.

When I go through HDMI, and allow my receiver to process the 5.1, it downmixes correctly.
post #3611 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS2008 View Post

I had been using a short 3 foot Monster HDMI cable(I know, I won't be purchasing any further Monster cables) and I switched it with the HDMI cable that OPPO sends with the player but it made no difference.
What else might be the cause?

What about the cable from your AVR to the TV?

Sparkles can also be the result of a poorly calibrated display. In any case, all picture settings in the player should be at default. (0)
post #3612 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Confused though as I did not think the Oppo did anything to the data if it was being bitstreamed. In other words it sent data as it was on disc and player decoded it and folded the 7.1 back to 5.1 if it needed to?
It doesn't seem to be doing anything to bitstreamed 6.1.

My receiver can't handle 7.1 bitstream, so I would expect the Oppo to send the 5.1 core.
post #3613 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

What about the cable from your AVR to the TV?
Sparkles can also be the result of a poorly calibrated display. In any case, all picture settings in the player should be at default. (0)

The Oppo is connected directly to the tv. My AVR doesn't have HDMI.
post #3614 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbroke View Post

Hdmi set is "auto"
and
I have selected hdmi deep color 30 bit., am i wrong?

there is no right or wrong answer. try what works for you. having said that, the experts say you should not use auto.

Jacob
post #3615 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The big stick sticking out is easy to resolve see Monoprice. You can use one of these male to female adapters easily.

As for Stargate Atlantis, heck $72 buys you the complete BD set (seasons 1 - 4) on Amazon, heck a lot better then Amazon streaming.
The Roku Stick also offers a lot music services streaming. (new Spotify and Vevo channels just added)
Happy Holidays.

Have you tried one of these adapter? When I inquired about using one with Oppo, they said they are not supported and the roku stick must be connected directly to the Oppo.
post #3616 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

I just found a "status" button on the front panel of my receiver.
If I play a DTS HD MA 7.1 source, with the 103 HDMI output set to LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 1/5 ENGLISH DTS HD MA 7.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.
When I press the status button on my receiver, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
If I change the 103 HDMI audio to bitstream, it still says the same thing on the screen when I press info.
When I press the status button on the receiver, it says "DTS 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
If I play a DTS ES discrete source, in EITHER bitstream, OR LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 2/5 ENGLISH DTS 6.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.
However, when I press status on my receiver, when the 103 is set to LPCM, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
When I switch the 103 to bitstream, and press status, my receiver says "DTS 48khz format = 3/3/.1
So, with a 6.1 or 7.1 source, the 103 will not send it as LPCM.
Instead, it sends the 5.1 DTS core.
The 103 will send 6.1 bitstream that my receiver can decode.
But it won't decode the same, and send it as LPCM to my receiver.
And it won't send 7.1 as bitstream. Not that my receiver could decode that anyway.

This actually makes sense to me. The Denon manual isn't very good at listing specs but I suspect given the vintage of your receiver it only accepts 5.1 LPCM on HDMI inputs. The Oppo is doing the correct thing. My Anthem D2 Pre/Pro from the same era can only accept 5.1 on the HDMI inputs.
post #3617 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

This actually makes sense to me. The Denon manual isn't very good at listing specs but I suspect given the vintage of your receiver it only accepts 5.1 LPCM on HDMI inputs. The Oppo is doing the correct thing. My Anthem D2 Pre/Pro from the same era can only accept 5.1 on the HDMI inputs.
My antiquated receiver, has no problem accepting 7.1 LPCM audio via HDMI from my LG BD-390, or Panasonic BD-10A.
post #3618 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?
Greetings dmusoke,
I have a total of 20TB in the Syn 1812+ and a 510 expansion unit. It's also 24/7 recording 8 IP cameras at 720p-1080p. I have yet to have it hikup regardless of what I have tried, and it has "just worked" with everything BD/TV/computer wise that I have attached to my network. Definitely the BDP 93 and 103 - no setup at all its just there ready for you to browse once you select "intranet" on the OPPO. Took me a bit to justify the cost but it has been great. The intranet display/GUI on the 103 is a bit different with what appears for the NAS, thus I have some learning to do. :-).
Knock on wood yet I have yet to have a NAS BSOD. It's my first attempt at a NAS as well and I would rate it very easy to configure for audio/video, surveillance and storage needs etc.

Sorry to stray a bit off topic gents,

Cheers
post #3619 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?

I have Synology 1812+. Can you confirm you can play MKV's?
Thanks
post #3620 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS2008 View Post

I am experiencing a strange issue. I am not technical so I will describe it as best I can. In certain scenes, such as, a city at night with some of the night sky showing, I experience moving sparkles in the sky. Almost like the start of a transporter effect on Star Trek. I am using HDMI 1 out. I had to set my noise reduction on the OPPO to +4 which helped about 90 to 95%(if I go higher or lower on this setting, the sparkling effect gets worse). If I increase the sharpness setting on my oppo even by a +1 the sparkles get worse. I set my sharpness to -5 and that helped some too. I am wondering if I have a setting in the TV versus something in the OPPO that are working against one another? I really have no idea here, so I am not even sure if I am asking the right question. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Since I've upgraded to the 103, I tend to be noticing a bit more 'shimmer' or 'flicker' on high detail moving scenes. I've ran some tests and it's not always present. Really good quality content does not show it. I think that perhaps the Oppo is showing up more detail than what was present before on my 83 and now I'm just seeing more authoring issues etc.

My display has been ISF calibrated and player settings at 0 FYI.
post #3621 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS2008 View Post

The Oppo is connected directly to the tv. My AVR doesn't have HDMI.

Did you by chance use an HDMI input on the TV that was previously not used? Perhaps that input is set to a "torch mode" picture setting? Each HDMI input on a TV must be calibrated individually.
post #3622 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Have you tried one of these adapter? When I inquired about using one with Oppo, they said they are not supported and the roku stick must be connected directly to the Oppo.
I am using the third one which angles it to the right without issues.
post #3623 of 16361
I am back with a couple of questions..
smile.gif
I have read in recent posts about trying to understand the ROKU stick and its behavior. If I plug the Roku in with the BDP 103 running, it switches to the ROKU interface automatically. If I start the BDP 103 with it plugged in, it just shows up as a selection on the home screen. I guess that this is expected, though I would like to make it so that it would not auto jump to the Roku when it is plugged in. The real PIA is that once I am in the ROKU UI menu, I can't get out of it without unplugging the darn thing. The home menu button on the remote just takes me back to the ROKU home menu. Is there a way to get back to the OPPO home screen once having started the ROKU UI, short of unplugging the device? I also don't seem to be able to get to the OPPO setup menu to change the input. Though I am not sure hat I would change it to in order to get back to the home screen. I am not using any of the inputs on the OPPO as of now.

Second, I have the latest official release of the firmware. One of the things it is supposed to do is play Dolby TrueHD from inside of an MKV file. I have converted a few BDs using MakeMKV. I selected the TrueHD audio track as well as DD 5.1. When I play the MKV over the network it shows two selections for audio tracks. One is MLP 5.1, the other DD 5.1. Now I think the Oppo is not recognizing the TrueHD terack... or misidentifying the codec. When I select the MLP track, I get no audio at all. The DD 5.1 track plays just fine. Media Info when run against the MKV shows that it contains DD TrueHD. I don't have anything else that will decode True HD from inside an MKV, so I can't test other means of playing the files correctly. Has anyone else run ito this kind of behavior. Why would the OPPO think the track is MLP? Anyone have any suggestions on how I might work around this little glitch?? Might MakeMKV be screwing up the audio tags? It is advertised to support DD TrueHD to an MKV...
BTW, the Oppo plays the DD TrueHD track just fine from the Disk, or a rip to HDD over the network (until Cinavia kicks in).

Thanks for any advice on these questions!!

Phil
Edited by ppasteur - 12/25/12 at 5:17pm
post #3624 of 16361
If I am understanding you correctly all you need to do to get to the OPPO home screen is press the input button on the top end of your OPPO remote and it will give you a selection...select BLU RAY and it will take you to that screen. I hope this is what you were looking for.
post #3625 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post

I am back with a couple of questions..
smile.gif
I have read in recent posts about trying to understand the ROKU stick and its behavior. If I plug the Roku in with the BDP 103 running, it switches to the ROKU interface automatically. If I start the BDP 103 with it plugged in, it just shows up as a selection on the home screen. I guess that this is expected, though I would like to make it so that it would not auto jump to the Roku when it is plugged in. The real PIA is that once I am in the ROKU UI menu, I can't get out of it without unplugging the darn thing. The home menu button on the remote just takes me back to the ROKU home menu. Is there a way to get back to the OPPO home screen once having started the ROKU UI, short of unplugging the device? I also don't seem to be able to get to the OPPO setup menu to change the input. Though I am not sure hat I would change it to in order to get back to the home screen. I am not using any of the inputs on the OPPO as of now.
Second, I have the latest official release of the firmware. One of the things it is supposed to do is play Dolby TrueHD from inside of an MKV file. I have converted a few BDs using MakeMKV. I selected the TrueHD audio track as well as DD 5.1. When I play the MKV over the network it shows two selections for audio tracks. One is MLP 5.1, the other DD 5.1. Now I think the Oppo is not recognizing the TrueHD terack... or misidentifying the codec. When I select the MLP track, I get no audio at all. The DD 5.1 track plays just fine. Media Info when run against the MKV shows that it contains DD TrueHD. I don't have anything else that will decode True HD from inside an MKV, so I can't test other means of playing the files correctly. Has anyone else run ito this kind of behavior. Why would the OPPO think the track is MLP? Anyone have any suggestions on how I might work around this little glitch?? Might MakeMKV be screwing up the audio tags? It is advertised to support DD TrueHD to an MKV...
BTW, the Oppo plays the DD TrueHD track just fine from the Disk, or a rip to HDD over the network (until Cinavia kicks in).
Thanks for any advice on these questions!!
Phil

For the Oppo to play TrueHD/DTS-HD soundtracks via MKV, it needs to do the decoding internally so you need to have the player set the LPCM instead of bitstream. This way the player is doing the decoding as it can't pass it to the receiver by bitstream in mkv. I've tested this myself and works fine. It will show as MLPCM which is correct.
post #3626 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?

We have a 30 terabyte RS2212+ (same processor memory as DS1512+) that streams six standard def iso's concurrently 24 hours a day. It should be plenty powerful streaming a BD or two at once. We have used the entry level DS112 with success also.

 

Wow ...really nice Tom ... But how many eye-balls do you need to have to view 6 SD movies 24/7biggrin.gif? Maybe this is your day job...tongue.gif

post #3627 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks KJ ....i am mulling the DS1512+ for use with my 105. It will be my first foray in all things NAS and A/V streaming as well. I like its solid metal construction and the reviews i've read about its performance. Was the 103-DS1812+ setup trouble-free? No more BSOD issues?
Greetings dmusoke,
I have a total of 20TB in the Syn 1812+ and a 510 expansion unit. It's also 24/7 recording 8 IP cameras at 720p-1080p. I have yet to have it hikup regardless of what I have tried, and it has "just worked" with everything BD/TV/computer wise that I have attached to my network. Definitely the BDP 93 and 103 - no setup at all its just there ready for you to browse once you select "intranet" on the OPPO. Took me a bit to justify the cost but it has been great. The intranet display/GUI on the 103 is a bit different with what appears for the NAS, thus I have some learning to do. :-).
Knock on wood yet I have yet to have a NAS BSOD. It's my first attempt at a NAS as well and I would rate it very easy to configure for audio/video, surveillance and storage needs etc.

Sorry to stray a bit off topic gents,

Cheers

 

Thanks for the thoughful response KJ. I just read that the BSOD was an issue solved in April of this year with new flash proms.

post #3628 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Have you tried one of these adapter? When I inquired about using one with Oppo, they said they are not supported and the roku stick must be connected directly to the Oppo.
I am using the third one which angles it to the right without issues.

 

So you are blocking the headphone output with this connector, right? In my case, i wouldn't want to block the HA or the front HDMI port so maybe the upright angled one would do it for me.

post #3629 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ There appears to be a severe authoring error in "Total Recall" (2012), Blu-ray, affecting multiple players including Sony models. Sony will likely have to recall and replace it. As a workaround, try using LPCM output instead of Bitstream.
--Bob

Same problem with LPCM (also on the BDP-105). Oppo is aware of the problem, but as you say, it appears to be an authoring problem.
Bill
post #3630 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

I just found a "status" button on the front panel of my receiver.
If I play a DTS HD MA 7.1 source, with the 103 HDMI output set to LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 1/5 ENGLISH DTS HD MA 7.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.
When I press the status button on my receiver, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
If I change the 103 HDMI audio to bitstream, it still says the same thing on the screen when I press info.
When I press the status button on the receiver, it says "DTS 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
If I play a DTS ES discrete source, in EITHER bitstream, OR LPCM, when I press "info" on the Oppo remote, it says 2/5 ENGLISH DTS 6.1 48K in the lower left corner of the screen.
However, when I press status on my receiver, when the 103 is set to LPCM, it says "PCM 48khz format = 3/2/.1".
When I switch the 103 to bitstream, and press status, my receiver says "DTS 48khz format = 3/3/.1
So, with a 6.1 or 7.1 source, the 103 will not send it as LPCM.
Instead, it sends the 5.1 DTS core.
The 103 will send 6.1 bitstream that my receiver can decode.
But it won't decode the same, and send it as LPCM to my receiver.
And it won't send 7.1 as bitstream. Not that my receiver could decode that anyway.

Can you please confirm you have a HDMI in connector on the AVR as I don't believe the AVR-3805 has one!

This would suggest you are using coax or optical .

When doing so you will only get the 5.1 tracks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread