or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 144

post #4291 of 16402
Thanks Bill,

I haven't calibrated my TV at all. One more thing to try.

Andyy
post #4292 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoRick View Post

I got my 103 a week ago and have just finished reading all the posts on this forum! (Whew!!) I too have the SMB problem with Windows 7 and it appears that removing WLE will fix it. However, I think my mail program (Windows Live Mail) is part of WLE and I really need that!! It isn't critical for me to stream media from my PC right now, but I'd like to do it sometime. So is Oppo considering this a "bug" and will it be fixed in the future?
You can still use SMB with WLE installed, you just have to turn off password protection. There are few posts that refer to this like this one.
post #4293 of 16402
Out of curiosity, what does DLNA servers (TVersity or others) used through the Oppo offer that is not available through SMB shares? Am I missing some nice functionnality by using solely SMB?
post #4294 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post

Same issues. Oppo is apparently working on it as I posted earlier. Good that we continue to report it though so that it stays a top priority.

To update the issue of hiss and pops when using analog audio and no preamp - this is what I got from Oppo:

There is no firmware fix for audio hiss or hum. Hum is due to a ground looping error in the system that can usually be resolved by isolating any cable or satellite box from your receiver.

Hiss is due to the amplifier picking up audio close to the noise floor. This is usually due to the input impedance on the amplifier being low or amplifier expecting a lower voltage. Putting an attenuator between the player and the amplifier has been known to resolve these issues.

If the issues persist after installing attenuators, then the errors may be related to a defective player (which we recommended trying) or an incompatibility with the amplifier. We have done our own testing with a wide variety of amplifiers and we can't verify the hiss. So either there are defective units out in the field which need to be replaced, or attenuators need to be used with incredibly sensitive amplifiers which we do not have in our office for testing.

A pre-amplifier will resolve your issues because pre-amplifiers are high impedance, high resistance so they will never be able to receive a signal which is close to the noise floor where the hiss is coming from.
post #4295 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Welch View Post

I just bought the 103 and have read many of the posts here but I do not have time to read them all and searching has only helped a little. I bought the Oppo based on the rave reviews at Amazon and the HT review. I am wondering how to most effectively use the HDMI inputs. My AV equipment is listed below. Of course, all sources are routed through my AVR right now. So to the questions: Would I get better video quality if I routed the output of the AVR through the Oppo in-line to the TV? Or would I be better served routing a media player like the Dune via the Oppo and back to the AVR? My understanding is that the Oppo's video processing is so good it will make any video passed through it to the TV much better, but that there are audio sync problems -- or is the sync problem no longer an issue? If there is a sync problem, can I use the AVR delay function to correct it?



TV: Sony 55 3D LED 1080p
PVR: Scientific American 8300HD
AVR: Marantz SR7005
BD: Oppo BDP-103
Media players: Dune Smart D1, Apple TV (720p), Android Mini PC,
Speakers: Paradigm and Rogers Sound lab mix
Game consoles: PS3, Wii

Can anyone comment on this question? I'm a new Oppo owner.
post #4296 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

You can still use SMB with WLE installed, you just have to turn off password protection. There are few posts that refer to this like this one.

There are many more posts that say they, like me, have tried everything suggested herein, including turning off password protection, and nothing works until they get rid of WLE which, for me, is not an option.
post #4297 of 16402
Hello, I have a question about the LPCM output on the BDP-103 to my Onkyo TX-NR807 Receiver over HDMI. I initially set the player to output bitstream and the receiver would then indicate the type of audio that it was outputting (DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, etc.). I thought everything was alight until tonight. I took my Alien Anthology Blu-Ray over to a friend's home and played it on his PS3. I was suprised to hear menu sounds while I selected the different menu options on the pop-up menu while playing the movie.

Reading this:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=196495

It explained that if you have the player output LPCM, you should be able to hear the menu sounds (but the receiver won't show the type of audio format that it is outputting - not a big deal to me). I did what was suggested by having the audio output on the BDP-103 set to LPCM (the receiver now displays the acronym PCM), but I STILL cannot hear the menu sounds while playing the Alien Anthology Blu-Ray. This is for the original Alien, I haven't tried it with the other discs.

Two quesitons:

1. What other setting do I have to change on the reciever (or Oppo BDP-103) to be able to hear the menu sounds on the Blu-Ray Disc?
2. What will give me a better quality sound: the BDP-103 sending out the LPCM audio or having the BDP-103 send out a bitstream to the Onkyo TX-NR807 Receiver?
post #4298 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Welch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Welch View Post

I just bought the 103 and have read many of the posts here but I do not have time to read them all and searching has only helped a little. I bought the Oppo based on the rave reviews at Amazon and the HT review. I am wondering how to most effectively use the HDMI inputs. My AV equipment is listed below. Of course, all sources are routed through my AVR right now. So to the questions: Would I get better video quality if I routed the output of the AVR through the Oppo in-line to the TV? Or would I be better served routing a media player like the Dune via the Oppo and back to the AVR? My understanding is that the Oppo's video processing is so good it will make any video passed through it to the TV much better, but that there are audio sync problems -- or is the sync problem no longer an issue? If there is a sync problem, can I use the AVR delay function to correct it?



TV: Sony 55 3D LED 1080p
PVR: Scientific American 8300HD
AVR: Marantz SR7005
BD: Oppo BDP-103
Media players: Dune Smart D1, Apple TV (720p), Android Mini PC,
Speakers: Paradigm and Rogers Sound lab mix
Game consoles: PS3, Wii

Can anyone comment on this question? I'm a new Oppo owner.
Not knowing which Sony LCD display you have or if it's been calibrated by someone with good references it's hard to predict what your results will be.

If I had your question, I would leave every external source connected to your AVR. Then I would try each of them one at a time to find out which connection you like best. It would never occur to me to place the OPPO in your chain after the AVR. Personally I would try your PVR and one of your media players, but I would ignore the game consoles.
post #4299 of 16402
Thanks htwaits.
post #4300 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Welch View Post

Thanks htwaits.
smile.gif

I'm still using our ISO enabled 93 so I have zero experience with your issue. That make me perfect for such questions. wink.gif
post #4301 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Welch View Post

Can anyone comment on this question? I'm a new Oppo owner.

I just set up my OPPO BDP103 yesterday and for now I ran the OPPO HDMI 1 out to Denon 2313ci receiver. Denon HDMI Monitor out to Samsung 63 C8000 plasma. I went into the 2313ci menu and turned off the Denon video processing and also video scaling for that HDMI input. That way the OPPO signal passes right through the Denon as is, no added processing. Blu-ray from the OPPO is showing up on the TV as a very smooth clean 1080p 24hz picture.

I plan on running the DirecTV HD-DVR through the OPPO next to see if there is any benefit. As I get time I will try turning on the Denon processing just to experiment but I would think the OPPO will have the better processing.
You will have to experiment with your own system to see what works best.
post #4302 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post

I just set up my OPPO BDP103 yesterday and for now I ran the OPPO HDMI 1 out to Denon 2313ci receiver. Denon HDMI Monitor out to Samsung 63 C8000 plasma. I went into the 2313ci menu and turned off the Denon video processing and also video scaling for that HDMI input. That way the OPPO signal passes right through the Denon as is, no added processing. Blu-ray from the OPPO is showing up on the TV as a very smooth clean 1080p 24hz picture.

I plan on running the DirecTV HD-DVR through the OPPO next to see if there is any benefit. As I get time I will try turning on the Denon processing just to experiment but I would think the OPPO will have the better processing.
You will have to experiment with your own system to see what works best.
What did you use for audio,HDMI or analogue ( digital coaxial cables ) ?
post #4303 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by nraval View Post

. . . .

Two quesitons:

1. What other setting do I have to change on the reciever (or Oppo BDP-103) to be able to hear the menu sounds on the Blu-Ray Disc?
2. What will give me a better quality sound: the BDP-103 sending out the LPCM audio or having the BDP-103 send out a bitstream to the Onkyo TX-NR807 Receiver?

Menu Sounds on Blu-ray discs are implemented as Secondary Audio.

The setting you are looking for is Secondary Audio ON.

If you are going to enable Secondary Audio, I recommend you use HDMI Audio LPCM (or multi-channel Analog audio) as those will play the primary track at full quality.

If you enable Secondary Audio and use HDMI Audio Bitstream, the player has to decode the Bitstream audio track (a prerequisite before any audio mixing can happen), mix in the Secondary Audio, and then RE-encode that back into a Bitstream for output. Since no consumer device has the horsepower to re-encode a lossless track on the fly like that, what's used for output is the high bit rate versions (but still lossy) of traditional Dolby Digital and DTS.

If you want to use Bitstream, I recommend you leave Secondary Audio OFF except when you want to use a disc feature that requires it -- typically Picture-in-Picture Commentary tracks.

Secondary Audio aside, there should be no difference in sound quality between LPCM and Bitstream output. When you use Bitstream, your AVR decodes that into LPCM as the first step in its processing.
--Bob
post #4304 of 16402
Hi! I am looking at getting a new Blu-Ray player to replace the PS3 (original 20gig model) for playback of BD. I am interested in the Oppo 103 but have a few ?'s:

  • How is the Vudu Playback on the Oppo? The PS3 does an OK job with Vudu, but I have to adjust the brightness for playback on my Iscan Duo to +6 to see any shadow detail. I have calibrated my display (JVC RS40 @ 110" screen) and have a great overall pic for everything else (including blu-ray playback) without raising the brightness to +6. It is just this way with Vudu. Does the Oppo fair better with Vudu?
  • Is there any reason that I would want to engage any pic controls on the Oppo as opposed to the ones I can access on my Iscan Duo (anchor bay chip)? Is the Marvel better for processing DVD and my Dish Hopper?
  • Is the audio out on the Oppo better than the uncompressed output that I am currently getting from my PS3?
  • Are load times on the Oppo better than the PS3?
Thanks,
-Alex-
post #4305 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post


The HDMI Inputs are compatible with 3D video. The player can also play 3D video files (e.g., MKV). You may have to bring up the menu to tell the player which flavor of 3D you are trying to play (e.g., Side By Side). See the release notes for the 1211 firmware in the first post of this thread.

The HDMI Inputs can accept traditional, lossy DD and DTS Bitstream formats. They can NOT accept the lossless TrueHD and DTS-HD MA formats (you will get the lossy "compatibility" track as input instead). However, if your source device can decode those lossless formats to LPCM, the HDMI Inputs CAN accept multi-channel, high bit-rate LPCM such as would result from that decode.
--Bob


The HDMI inputs do not work with DirecTV 3D.  A mirror image side-by-side picture is displayed and the Oppo does not produce a 3D picture from this,  I have emailed Oppo support about this and they said they have heard the same thing from other users and will try to incorporate a fix in a firmware update in the future.

post #4306 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Menu Sounds on Blu-ray discs are implemented as Secondary Audio.

The setting you are looking for is Secondary Audio ON.

If you are going to enable Secondary Audio, I recommend you use HDMI Audio LPCM (or multi-channel Analog audio) as those will play the primary track at full quality.

If you enable Secondary Audio and use HDMI Audio Bitstream, the player has to decode the Bitstream audio track (a prerequisite before any audio mixing can happen), mix in the Secondary Audio, and then RE-encode that back into a Bitstream for output. Since no consumer device has the horsepower to re-encode a lossless track on the fly like that, what's used for output is the high bit rate versions (but still lossy) of traditional Dolby Digital and DTS.

If you want to use Bitstream, I recommend you leave Secondary Audio OFF except when you want to use a disc feature that requires it -- typically Picture-in-Picture Commentary tracks.

Secondary Audio aside, there should be no difference in sound quality between LPCM and Bitstream output. When you use Bitstream, your AVR decodes that into LPCM as the first step in its processing.
--Bob

That worked, thanks for the tips!
post #4307 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

What did you use for audio,HDMI or analogue ( digital coaxial cables ) ?

HDMI
post #4308 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The HDMI Inputs are compatible with 3D video. The player can also play 3D video files (e.g., MKV). You may have to bring up the menu to tell the player which flavor of 3D you are trying to play (e.g., Side By Side). See the release notes for the 1211 firmware in the first post of this thread.


The HDMI Inputs can accept traditional, lossy DD and DTS Bitstream formats. They can NOT accept the lossless TrueHD and DTS-HD MA formats (you will get the lossy "compatibility" track as input instead). However, if your source device can decode those lossless formats to LPCM, the HDMI Inputs CAN accept multi-channel, high bit-rate LPCM such as would result from that decode.

--Bob


The HDMI inputs do not work with DirecTV 3D.  A mirror image side-by-side picture is displayed and the Oppo does not produce a 3D picture from this,  I have emailed Oppo support about this and they said they have heard the same thing from other users and will try to incorporate a fix in a firmware update in the future.

The 1211 firmware added a feature to force Side-by-Side input conversion to 3D output for playing MKV files -- see the release notes for that firmware in the first post of this thread.

Does that not also work for your DirecTV case? I don't do 3D myself, so I can't test this.
--Bob
post #4309 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post


The 1211 firmware added a feature to force Side-by-Side input conversion to 3D output for playing MKV files -- see the release notes for that firmware in the first post of this thread.

Does that not also work for your DirecTV case? I don't do 3D myself, so I can't test this.
--Bob


No it doesn't.  I haven't tried since I updated from 1211 to 1220 firmware.  I'll try it again tonight and see if there is any difference with the 1220 firmware.

post #4310 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairda View Post

Hi! I am looking at getting a new Blu-Ray player to replace the PS3 (original 20gig model) for playback of BD. I am interested in the Oppo 103 but have a few ?'s:

  • How is the Vudu Playback on the Oppo? The PS3 does an OK job with Vudu, but I have to adjust the brightness for playback on my Iscan Duo to +6 to see any shadow detail. I have calibrated my display (JVC RS40 @ 110" screen) and have a great overall pic for everything else (including blu-ray playback) without raising the brightness to +6. It is just this way with Vudu. Does the Oppo fair better with Vudu?
  • Is there any reason that I would want to engage any pic controls on the Oppo as opposed to the ones I can access on my Iscan Duo (anchor bay chip)? Is the Marvel better for processing DVD and my Dish Hopper?
  • Is the audio out on the Oppo better than the uncompressed output that I am currently getting from my PS3?
  • Are load times on the Oppo better than the PS3?
Thanks,
-Alex-

There is no need to alter the video calibration when using the built-in VUDU app in the 103/105.

But then that should also be true for your PS3, so the fact that you are running into that problem on the PS3 suggests there may be an error in your set up. (I suspect you may be using RGB output and running into the problem of whether that is RGB PC Level or RGB Video Level.)

You will likely leave the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at at their default (0) values. Set that way, the OPPO puts out "reference" signals on HDMI. The Rule of Thumb for video calibration is you always try to do any adjustments as far towards the end of the signal path as possible. So first try adjustments in your Display. If for some reason you can't get things right using only the Display's controls, then next try to refine it using your Duo. If for some reason even that is not working, only then would you look to do adjustments in the Source. Now this is for video levels. You WILL still need to decide which output FORMAT works best from the OPPO into your Duo. For example YCbCr or RGB, and whether to use Deep Color data format.

I don't have any useful comparison I can offer between video processing in the OPPO and in the Duo. There are some value added operations -- such as Zoom, DVD 24p Conversion, 2D to 3D Conversion, and the like which will take advantage of the video processing in the OPPO.

The version of the PS3 you have converts lossless Bitstreams to multi-channel high bit-rate HDMI LPCM for output. You can set the OPPO to do the same thing, or you can set the OPPO to output the Bitstreams for decoding in your AVR. The OPPO offers dual HDMI outputs and a variety of audio options which will give you features not in your PS3 such as HDCD music disc decoding. Depending on the generation of PS3 you have, you may not have SACD playback available in it. The OPPO includes that. The OPPO also includes DVD-Audio disc playback, which will never ever appear in any Sony product (Sony being a backer of the competing SACD format).

In my testing, load times on the OPPO are significantly faster than on the PS3. Power ON times are also faster if you are using Quick Start mode in the OPPO.
--Bob
post #4311 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The 1211 firmware added a feature to force Side-by-Side input conversion to 3D output for playing MKV files -- see the release notes for that firmware in the first post of this thread.


Does that not also work for your DirecTV case? I don't do 3D myself, so I can't test this.

--Bob


No it doesn't.  I haven't tried since I updated from 1211 to 1220 firmware.  I'll try it again tonight and see if there is any difference with the 1220 firmware.

OK, they will likely need to implement a similar, manual step. I imagine they are checking to see if they can do that automatically based on the meta-data the DirecTV presents to that input.
--Bob
post #4312 of 16402
Thread Starter 
It does not work for the external inputs. This will be added in a different firmware release.

Currently you have to manually select the 3D mode on the display, rather than relying on auto, as the player will not pass 720p/24Hz (the most common form of 3D from cable, satellite, and game consoles). The player converts this to 1080p/60Hz, which is why the display does not automatically switch to 3D processing.

I have not seen a display which supported 3D that did not have a manual 3D mode selection. All displays, either through a dedicated remote or through the menu, allow you to select how the picture is processed. You will choose Side-by-Side or Top-Bottom in this menu.
post #4313 of 16402
Does the 103 apply noise reduction to streaming content that isn't defeatable? Despite the stream quality showing up as HD (High) on both devices, Netflix video quality is considerably better on my PS3 than on my 103 with the same source material. Vudu HDX content looks softer on the 103 as well. Kind of disappointing since I was hoping to stop using my PS3 for streaming and rely solely on the 103.

The 103 is set to output 1080p, and I've checked to make sure noise reduction is set to 0 on HDMI 1. Blu-ray discs look outstanding, as expected.
post #4314 of 16402
Thread Starter 
Contact OPPO. They have a test firmware which should address MHL tolerances for the Roku Streaming Stick and smart phones.
post #4315 of 16402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Does the 103 apply noise reduction to streaming content that isn't defeatable? Despite the stream quality showing up as HD (High) on both devices, Netflix video quality is considerably better on my PS3 than on my 103 with the same source material. Vudu HDX content looks softer on the 103 as well. Kind of disappointing since I was hoping to stop using my PS3 for streaming and rely solely on the 103.

The 103 is set to output 1080p, and I've checked to make sure noise reduction is set to 0 on HDMI 1. Blu-ray discs look outstanding, as expected.

If you have made any changes to Picture Adjustments prior to starting VUDU then the player will be applying these settings to the stream.

Try using HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1 and see if the same issues occur. As rdgrimes has already pointed out there is some amount of DNR that goes on by default with the Marvel solution, so switching straight to the decoder will remove any possibility of DNR being added as the MediaTek decoder does not support DNR.
post #4316 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post


I replaced my Outlaw 990 AV preamp with the 103 using the analog outs into a 5 channel poweramp and a sub. I run a home theater PC into the back HDMI. I am getting a huge thump/pop when I turn on the system and occasionally when switching source material. Oppo is working on a firmware update to fix this. The bass management is not as flexible as my Outlaw: if any of the speakers are set to large, the sub is disabled. My front speakers are full-range and I want to use the bass contribution from them. With the Oppo I can't. A firmware update would fix that, but Oppo doesn't see that as a problem. Perhaps if many of us requested it, we might see it in a future update.

ajaxmike,

Thanks for the info.
I have a 6.1 in the wall speaker set up which are kept to small and route all bass to the sub.
That sucks that you can't run your fronts in full range. I hope Oppo will address that soon, it makes no sence that you can't run them full range.
The loud thump/pop might be a deal breaker for me.

Chris
post #4317 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodge827 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post


I replaced my Outlaw 990 AV preamp with the 103 using the analog outs into a 5 channel poweramp and a sub. I run a home theater PC into the back HDMI. I am getting a huge thump/pop when I turn on the system and occasionally when switching source material. Oppo is working on a firmware update to fix this. The bass management is not as flexible as my Outlaw: if any of the speakers are set to large, the sub is disabled. My front speakers are full-range and I want to use the bass contribution from them. With the Oppo I can't. A firmware update would fix that, but Oppo doesn't see that as a problem. Perhaps if many of us requested it, we might see it in a future update.

ajaxmike,

Thanks for the info.
I have a 6.1 in the wall speaker set up which are kept to small and route all bass to the sub.
That sucks that you can't run your fronts in full range. I hope Oppo will address that soon, it makes no sence that you can't run them full range.
The loud thump/pop might be a deal breaker for me.

Chris

I don't believe this is correct. If Sub is ON, LF/RF are Large, and the Surrounds and Center are Small then the Sub WILL get bass steered from the Surrounds and Center while LF/RF get sent their full frequency range. The Sub will need +15dB boost external to the player.
--Bob
post #4318 of 16402
Bob,
Thanks for that.
I would think that the folks at Oppo would have planned for such a configurtation in the programming of the 103.

Chris
post #4319 of 16402

Hi everyone,

 

Since upgrading to the latest firmware and performing a full reset after doing so, my 103 doesn't seem to want to remember my Youtube account. Each time I access Youtube, I have to re-activate the device. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I didn't have this problem with the earlier firmware.

post #4320 of 16402
^ Yes, this is a known problem. OPPO engineering is on the case.
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread