or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 153

post #4561 of 16402
I am looking forward to buy the Oppo BDP-103 player. Have a couple of questions before i drop the ball.
I usually copy the entire Blu-Ray disk to my Media Server, which is connected to a HTPC with ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon Graphic card, and thus the the graphic card's sound is used for processing the movies through XBMC.

I am a complete noob with oppo brand and am completely unaware of its potential. Is the sound and PQ quality better with directly playing the disk through Oppo player vs the HTPC's high end dedicated sound card such as the ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon?

I have another Panasonic blu ray player, but i think the hptc playes sound and video better as compared to that panasonic bd player, hence this ignorant question.
post #4562 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

I can just say that the netflix app on the 93 was totally abysmal. I had all sorts of frame skipping errors and sync errors that Oppo claimed was Netflix's fault alone. I just got the 103 and the netflix app and streaming quality is worlds better. No frame errors to speak of. However I'm still having the strangest issue using the wireless adapter for streaming. If I stream netflix in the morning/afternoon, then I get good quality and stable high hd streams. When I watch streams on netflix in the evening the quality jumps around all the time from low sd to high hd and back again. This definitely isn't an issue with my connection (19mbp down) b/c vudu streams in the day time or evening all work perfectly, and the built in vudu streaming network test shows I'm getting a solid and consistent 9+mbps down at all times of day (confirmed with speedtest.net). So I know that my network speed isn't an issue in the evening, yet the Nefflix app still jumps all around but only in the evening. To test if this was truly a wireless streaming issue, I switched to hardwired ethernet cable directly into my modem. Now the speeds are perfect all the time. So this makes me wonder, could I possibly have a defective wireless dongle? I doubt it considering there are zero issues with the dongle during the day time (and setup shows 100% signal strength as well at all time). It just baffles me that netflix is the only app on my 103 that's having throughput issues over wireless in the evening, but the issue completely disappears when switching to hard wired ethernet. If it were a wireless streaming issue, wouldn't the other streaming services also be affected? They are not, however. So confusing...

I did a lot of experimenting tonight and I think I've found a way to get great quality from Netflix on the 103 via HDMI 1...switch to Source Direct. It appears to bypass the noise reduction in the QDEO. The overly smooth faces and motion artifacts I was seeing previously are gone. I flipped back and forth between 1080p and Source Direct and compared the same episodes of The Tudors I'd watched previously (I've become intimately familiar with them at this point with all this messing around smile.gif) and I'm positive there's a significant increase in detail. There are a few scenes that produce noticeable motion artifacts when using 1080p (usually in the form of trails as something moves across the screen), but look clean when using Source Direct, and the detail with a High / HD stream is comparable to the PS3.

I also confirmed that with Source Direct, the benefits of HDMI 1 over HDMI 2 that I saw on the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray are still present. Chroma resolution and upscaling are superior to HDMI 2 (on my display, anyway).

I'm very happy at this point. I'm still going to request that Oppo provide a setting to disable noise reduction on HDMI 1 for all resolutions, though. Ideally, I'd like to set the 103 to 1080p and forget it.
post #4563 of 16402
Has anyone tried to do some testing between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 output VQ on bluray? Those comments on the PQ not being as sharp has me intrigued. I'll do some testing myself but just interested to hear any comments.
post #4564 of 16402
With this thread at 153 pages and counting, I wish there was a FAQ list at the beginning to capture all the lessons-learned in easy bullet points!
post #4565 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadClams View Post

With this thread at 153 pages and counting, I wish there was a FAQ list at the beginning to capture all the lessons-learned in easy bullet points!
If it helps... There is a link to the 'Unofficial FAQ' within the first post of this topic: -



Cheers
post #4566 of 16402
Anyone know why some sellers on Amazon are selling the older model BDP-93 USED more than the current model BDP-103? Am I missing something???


Shouldn't older electronics sell for cheaper than the current electronics?


I also see a another seller from Amazon selling the BDP-103 with higher price than from OPPO with free shipping.
post #4567 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Anyone know why some sellers on Amazon are selling the older model BDP-93 USED more than the current model BDP-103? Am I missing something???


Shouldn't older electronics sell for cheaper than the current electronics?


I also see a another seller from Amazon selling the BDP-103 with higher price than from OPPO with free shipping.

Either the players have region free mods, or older firmware that some consider desirable, or it's a seller's market and people pay more than they should.

-Bill
post #4568 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Anyone know why some sellers on Amazon are selling the older model BDP-93 USED more than the current model BDP-103? Am I missing something???
Nope. You'll see that for all sorts of products on Amazon.

In the case of the -93 the seller is just fishing for a buyer that will pay top dollar because they just "have" to have a -93. That said, the Oppo units have historically held their value unlike any other piece of consumer electronics I have ever owned and I've sold my used units for far more than I imagined when I purchased them.
post #4569 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post

I am playing my flac library without trouble, but as Bob says it is not gapless. You could use a Digital Media Controller with gapless capability and then use the Oppo as a Digital Media Render. I am using Media Monkey as the DMC, but I am getting lots of lockup issues. Not sure what is going yet.
Yeah, I wish that Oppo would add a gapless playback option for flac/wav/mp3 (OK, I'll never use MP3s myself, but....) -- it is key for listening to live concert recordings, especially if you're listening to a song with multiple sections that are tracked out individiually...
post #4570 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Anyone know why some sellers on Amazon are selling the older model BDP-93 USED more than the current model BDP-103? Am I missing something???


Shouldn't older electronics sell for cheaper than the current electronics?


I also see a another seller from Amazon selling the BDP-103 with higher price than from OPPO with free shipping.

Some may find it desirable to have a Cinavia free Oppo player.
post #4571 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I did a lot of experimenting tonight and I think I've found a way to get great quality from Netflix on the 103 via HDMI 1...switch to Source Direct. It appears to bypass the noise reduction in the QDEO. The overly smooth faces and motion artifacts I was seeing previously are gone. I flipped back and forth between 1080p and Source Direct and compared the same episodes of The Tudors I'd watched previously (I've become intimately familiar with them at this point with all this messing around smile.gif) and I'm positive there's a significant increase in detail. There are a few scenes that produce noticeable motion artifacts when using 1080p (usually in the form of trails as something moves across the screen), but look clean when using Source Direct, and the detail with a High / HD stream is comparable to the PS3.

I also confirmed that with Source Direct, the benefits of HDMI 1 over HDMI 2 that I saw on the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray are still present. Chroma resolution and upscaling are superior to HDMI 2 (on my display, anyway).

I'm very happy at this point. I'm still going to request that Oppo provide a setting to disable noise reduction on HDMI 1 for all resolutions, though. Ideally, I'd like to set the 103 to 1080p and forget it.

Interesting. I'm now curious why it's just Netflix that is exhibiting that behavior? Does the Oppo run an actual Netflix app like the PS3 or does it provide a framework that Netflix can use to stream to like it does on a PC? If it's an app perhaps the issue will resolve itself when the newest version is pushed out that supports Netflix's new video profiles?

From the manual
Quote:
The BDP-103 supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs. This resolution is
recommended for use with external video processors or high-end TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player
works as a “transport”. It decodes video from the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native
resolution and format, without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV. The actual output
resolution varies by content:
post #4572 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post


Some may find it desirable to have a Cinavia free Oppo player.

That, too! It also has pre-sunset component video. The population that needs that is diminishing with time but people still ask about it.

-Bill
post #4573 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Wireless is what it is. Your wireless network could very well be slowing in the evenings due to interference. There's could easily be several other wireless networks in your neighborhood. I can pick up 3-4 here, at my folks house I can see about 10.

I agree. But if my network was slowing down due to interference from other things in the evening, then I would see the slowdown on other streaming apps besides just netflix. But netflix is the only one that has these issues.
post #4574 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I can and am happy to discuss netflix streaming all day long however this thread is probably not the place. But the original comment was that netflix was somehow giving the ps3 special treatment in terms of streaming and I beg to differ.

I've got, wow lets see, 4 netflix clients all capable of the 1080p super hd 5800 kb/s stream and all of them get it fine .... No prob. (Ps3, s790, tivo, atv3)

The oppo should be no different.

Btw X-high/HD is now back as of last week. This is the 5800kb/s stream, or as netflix brands it super hd. X-high/hd is a Sony bdp / ps3 display overlay term.

If you want to know precisely what your netflix client is capable of playing with the bandwidth you have, playback the netflix test file "Example Short 23.976". It will provide you with a overlay of the stream you are receiving and resolution. Have fun.

x-high is only back for you if your isp has signed on to netflix's open connect platform. If you're using cox/comcast, verizon? (basically the bigger providers) then you're never going to see x-high (super) hd again. They're basically screwing customers who use ISP's that have competing streaming products. Thanks again netflix for tiering your services but charging all customers the same rate for subpar quality.
post #4575 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

x-high is only back for you if your isp has signed on to netflix's open connect platform. If you're using cox/comcast, verizon? (basically the bigger providers) then you're never going to see x-high (super) hd again. They're basically screwing customers who use ISP's that have competing streaming products. Thanks again netflix for tiering your services but charging all customers the same rate for subpar quality.

It's not Netflix that is being hostile. They are actually trying to help their customers. Both Verizon and ATT (Bell companies) have gone on public record that they want content providers like Netflix and Google to pay them for their customer's traffic over their network. On top of that they have put bandwidth caps on their customers. Unfortunately for Verizon and ATT the internet doesn't work like the phone network. The internet runs on the concept that you buy access into to the whole thing. The phone network works like a toll way. Verizon and ATT have been trying to get back to their monopoly business models since they go broken up in the 70s.

Netflix bought EyeIO encoding technology to reduce the bandwidth required for their streams. The Open Connect network is basically a collocated data center that has direct access to an ISP's network. It bypasses sending traffic over the internet. Again, all of this is being done because ATT and Verizon are trying to take the internet back in time.
post #4576 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

It's not Netflix that is being hostile. They are actually trying to help their customers. Both Verizon and ATT (Bell companies) have gone on public record that they want content providers like Netflix and Google to pay them for their customer's traffic over their network. On top of that they have put bandwidth caps on their customers. Unfortunately for Verizon and ATT the internet doesn't work like the phone network. The internet runs on the concept that you buy access into to the whole thing. The phone network works like a toll way. Verizon and ATT have been trying to get back to their monopoly business models since they go broken up in the 70s.

Netflix bought EyeIO encoding technology to reduce the bandwidth required for their streams. The Open Connect network is basically a collocated data center that has direct access to an ISP's network. It bypasses sending traffic over the internet. Again, all of this is being done because ATT and Verizon are trying to take the internet back in time.

Ah. Thanks for that info. I'm still just upset that it's the customer that always gets screwed in these disputes smile.gif
post #4577 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

Interesting. I'm now curious why it's just Netflix that is exhibiting that behavior? Does the Oppo run an actual Netflix app like the PS3 or does it provide a framework that Netflix can use to stream to like it does on a PC? If it's an app perhaps the issue will resolve itself when the newest version is pushed out that supports Netflix's new video profiles?

It's not just Netflix. Vudu is also noticeably softer on the 103 than on my PS3 via HDMI 1 at 1080p, but when set to Source Direct, I see no meaningful difference between the 103 and the PS3. QDEO is definitely doing some processing at 1080p that softens the image. The noise reduction is way too aggressive.

What I'd prefer is that all QDEO processing have finer grain control (or a kill switch) so I can pick a single resolution (1080p) and let the 103 do all the scaling/deinterlacing, but not muck with the image. I have some 1080i material on Blu-ray at both 50Hz and 60Hz and a lot of SD animated content in both NTSC and PAL that I'd prefer the Oppo handle without having to manually switch output resolutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

x-high is only back for you if your isp has signed on to netflix's open connect platform. If you're using cox/comcast, verizon? (basically the bigger providers) then you're never going to see x-high (super) hd again. They're basically screwing customers who use ISP's that have competing streaming products. Thanks again netflix for tiering your services but charging all customers the same rate for subpar quality.

From what I've read, Netflix Open Connect will actually save bandwidth for ISPs and lower their costs, helping Netflix get around the throttling that some ISPs are accused of doing (Comcast) while providing better quality to viewers. If your ISP doesn't opt into the program, it's likely that it's because they have their own streaming/on-demand content that competes with Netflix, so they have a vested interest in keeping the quality low.
post #4578 of 16402
I would be interested to know if anybody from the UK uses Netflix and what the image quality is like?
post #4579 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

I agree. But if my network was slowing down due to interference from other things in the evening, then I would see the slowdown on other streaming apps besides just netflix. But netflix is the only one that has these issues.

It would be great if it were that simple, but it never is. Each streaming service has its own special way of measuring the available bandwidth, and there's no reason to assume that each will deliver the same relative speeds on a given connection. Internet connections are an end-to-end thing where the available speed is the result of everything on your end plus everything on the other end combined. Bottom line is that wireless is just not reliable, and even wired LANs can have similar issue to what you're seeing. Having said all that, its also probable that Netflix does not dole out bandwidth equally to every specific device that's connected.
post #4580 of 16402
I read the following on HT.com...

The player offers two different video processing solutions. HDMI-1 is serviced by Marvell’s Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest Qdeo technology that can upscale all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) and can convert 2D signals to a 3D output. HDMI-2 uses a custom-made MediaTek dual-core processor. The Qdeo offers a superior video processing solution, so that’s the preferred choice for most userssers

Do most of you connect to HDMI 2 when watching Blue Ray and or standard DVD's? Is there a distinguishable PQ difference between HDMI 1 and 2?
post #4581 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

It's not Netflix that is being hostile. They are actually trying to help their customers. Both Verizon and ATT (Bell companies) have gone on public record that they want content providers like Netflix and Google to pay them for their customer's traffic over their network. On top of that they have put bandwidth caps on their customers. Unfortunately for Verizon and ATT the internet doesn't work like the phone network. The internet runs on the concept that you buy access into to the whole thing. The phone network works like a toll way. Verizon and ATT have been trying to get back to their monopoly business models since they go broken up in the 70s.

Netflix bought EyeIO encoding technology to reduce the bandwidth required for their streams. The Open Connect network is basically a collocated data center that has direct access to an ISP's network. It bypasses sending traffic over the internet. Again, all of this is being done because ATT and Verizon are trying to take the internet back in time.

As far as I know, FIOS has no caps on customers. Comcast does (I had FIOS, have comcast now mad.gif ), don't know about ATT. Obviously there is a speed difference according to plan, but not a bandwidth cap. The massive amount of bandwidth available on fiber lets them do that.
post #4582 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Having said all that, its also probable that Netflix does not dole out bandwidth equally to every specific device that's connected.

Here's a research topic for someone (specifically: not me).

During the holiday outages there were reports that specific player models were getting no Netflix streaming service while others were. That is, location didn't matter, only what device you were using.

The speculation at the time was that servers are allocated to specific models, which would go a long way to explaining why we see differences. Specific servers could be operating under different loads or with different parameters.

This would be hard to investigate because even if true I'm sure they keep fiddling with the configuration. Plus there may be a geographical component (it's hard to diagnose an operation based only on it's error modes) and during bad outages they may start shifting service around.

-Bill
post #4583 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

x-high is only back for you if your isp has signed on to netflix's open connect platform. If you're using cox/comcast, verizon? (basically the bigger providers) then you're never going to see x-high (super) hd again. They're basically screwing customers who use ISP's that have competing streaming products. Thanks again netflix for tiering your services but charging all customers the same rate for subpar quality.

Yes, youre quite right ... I should have mentioned that caveat. Fortunately my small ISP is in the Netflix club and are able to get the new Super HD streams.

Interesting about the post processing going on with the Netflix and Vudu streams on the 103. That makes sense now on why you were seeing a soft picture v what was shown on the PS3. I've gone back and forth on PS3, Tivo, ATV and 790, and with 5800kb/s stream they all look the same ... other than Tivo which is 1080p/24 !
post #4584 of 16402
Bumping my question again.. tongue.gif

I am looking forward to buy the Oppo BDP-103 player. Have a couple of questions before i drop the ball.
I usually copy the entire Blu-Ray disk to my Media Server, which is connected to a HTPC with ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon Graphic card, and thus the the graphic card's sound is used for processing the movies through XBMC.

I am a complete noob with oppo brand and am completely unaware of its potential. Is the sound and PQ quality better with directly playing the disk through Oppo player vs the HTPC's high end dedicated sound card such as the ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon?

I have another Panasonic blu ray player, but i think the hptc playes sound and video better as compared to that panasonic bd player, hence this ignorant question.
post #4585 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Bumping my question again.. tongue.gif

I am looking forward to buy the Oppo BDP-103 player. Have a couple of questions before i drop the ball.
I usually copy the entire Blu-Ray disk to my Media Server, which is connected to a HTPC with ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon Graphic card, and thus the the graphic card's sound is used for processing the movies through XBMC.

I am a complete noob with oppo brand and am completely unaware of its potential. Is the sound and PQ quality better with directly playing the disk through Oppo player vs the HTPC's high end dedicated sound card such as the ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon?

I have another Panasonic blu ray player, but i think the hptc playes sound and video better as compared to that panasonic bd player, hence this ignorant question.

Having an HTPC generally negates the need for a stand alone device like an Oppo. The 7850 isn't a sound card. All it does is pass the audio through to the next device, which is either the sound card on your HTPC or a receiver. What other devices do you use in your HT? As far as PQ, you can setup an HTPC to have extremely good PQ. AMD's video stuff is pretty good, but there are better codecs out there IMO.
post #4586 of 16402
Here in the UK today I bought the latest copy of What Hi-fi......never really my favourite magazine for a variety of reasons but it has given one of the few mediocre reviews I have seen for any Oppo machine with it's review of the 103.

In a 3 star review it suggests it's greatest strength is it's variety of features but rates it's picture quality no better on upscaling DVD and Blu Ray that the better budget players kicking around. It suggested as well on straight forward stereo music play back it lacked timing and an ability to knit more complex pieces of music together.

I'm keen to get the 105 to replace my Ayre CX-7 but this was one of those mmm moments....
post #4587 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

Here in the UK today I bought the latest copy of What Hi-fi......never really my favourite magazine for a variety of reasons but it has given one of the few mediocre reviews I have seen for any Oppo machine with it's review of the 103.

In a 3 star review it suggests it's greatest strength is it's variety of features but rates it's picture quality no better on upscaling DVD and Blu Ray that the better budget players kicking around. It suggested as well on straight forward stereo music play back it lacked timing and an ability to knit more complex pieces of music together.

I'm keen to get the 105 to replace my Ayre CX-7 but this was one of those mmm moments....
Did I miss where you said that you have high respect for this publication? wink.gif

Blu-ray picture quality is going to be the same on any reasonable Blu-ray player. There are also many players that do a good job with DVDs. It's the audio and other features that many OPPO owners are looking for. That's especially true of the 105.
post #4588 of 16402
Hello,

I have my OPPO 103 coming today.

I've been reading the manual in preparation in setting it up. I know that it has dual HDMI outputs but the manual seems a little confusing to me in its usage and setup.

I wanted to connect both outputs to my receiver. One to Blu Ray and the other to CD.

I wanted my family to know that if they are listening to SACD or CD to push the CD input and if watching a movie to push the Blu Ray input.

I may be mistaken on how things work. The Oppo manual confused me on whether my thought is possible (maybe its not necessary).

If I want to do this (and its possible) which Dual HDMI setting do I use? I really have no intent (currently) to use both ports at the same time ....

Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, I did read the FAQ. It said that it only mattered if both ports were used simultaneously. I wasn't sure if just connecting them to the receiver counted as using them simultaneously

Jack
post #4589 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

I'm keen to get the 105 to replace my Ayre CX-7 but this was one of those mmm moments....
I currently have my Oppo 103 connected via 2Ch analogue to my Audiolab amplifier and via HDMI to an Onkyo amplifier. And it sounds pretty good on both systems when spinning CD's.

That said, I suggest you try finding a place that will lend you a 'run in' Oppo BDP-105 to test. So you can compare it to your dedicated CD spinner for a few days.
post #4590 of 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post


That said, I suggest you try finding a place that will lend you a 'run in' Oppo BDP-105 to test. So you can compare it to your dedicated CD spinner for a few days.

Oppo will essentially lend you one You have a 30-day return period. The most it will cost you if you send the player back is the return shipping (probably under $20). Considering the cost of the player and all, this is a very inexpensive way to try a 105 (or a 103) in your home with your gear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread