or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 204

post #6091 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

=> Can I suggest (request) that Oppo should modify their menu structure

Sure, but you should send it to them directly, rather than taking the chance that someone from OPPO will see it here and take action.

-Bill
post #6092 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Thanks Bill and GSR
I just went down and put Argo back in. You are correct. The changeability is in the Panny. The Oppo will not let you, but the TV will. And it looks fantastic, as long as you don't get carried away with the zoom. The Panny has a " Full' setting that is nice.I just can't agree on watching it as intended. That would be like us spending big bucks for a killer engine,and then putting a governor on the race car. If you have a big screen, use it.... Thanks for the info . Tonight is going to be our first 3d movie.....
Part of the point of getting a big screen is so that movies can be enjoyed in their original aspect ratio. If you zoom, you're either distorting the image (making people look tall or fat, or making circles look like ovals) OR you're discarding parts of the picture (in which case you might miss something important). But it's your TV... Your analogy just doesn't work for me - to me what you want to do is more like spending big bucks on a killer engine and then never changing the oil biggrin.gif.
post #6093 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Thanks Bill and GSR
I just went down and put Argo back in. You are correct. The changeability is in the Panny. The Oppo will not let you, but the TV will. And it looks fantastic, as long as you don't get carried away with the zoom. The Panny has a " Full' setting that is nice.I just can't agree on watching it as intended. That would be like us spending big bucks for a killer engine,and then putting a governor on the race car. If you have a big screen, use it.... Thanks for the info . Tonight is going to be our first 3d movie.....

Well, to each his own, but if your attorney wrote a document on legal-sized paper, but you only saw a copy made on letter-sized paper, would you care of a quarter of the page was cut off, or would prefer the original was reduced to fit to read everything?
Edited by thrang - 2/27/13 at 8:54am
post #6094 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

The Panny has a " Full' setting that is nice.I just can't agree on watching it as intended. That would be like us spending big bucks for a killer engine,and then putting a governor on the race car. If you have a big screen, use it.... Thanks for the info . Tonight is going to be our first 3d movie.....

Watch the 3D movie in 2D - it's reasonbly equivalent to cutting the sides off :-)
What you're doing Is more like spending the bucks for a supercharged engine and not turning the blower on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Part of the point of getting a big screen is so that movies can be enjoyed in their original aspect ratio. If you zoom, you're either distorting the image (making people look tall or fat, or making circles look like ovals) OR you're discarding parts of the picture (in which case you might miss something important). But it's your TV... Your analogy just doesn't work for me - to me what you want to do is more like spending big bucks on a killer engine and then never changing the oil biggrin.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well, to each his own, but if your attorney wrote a document on legal-sized paper, but you only saw a copy made on letter-sized paper, would you care of a quarter of the page was cut off, or would prefer the original was reduced to fit to read everything?


Agree with gsr and thrang here. But the harm is beyond simple distortion and/or discarding of content (which to many, myself included, is simply not acceptable), it's eliminating the one to one pixel to pixel mapping when using a 1080p source to a 1080p PDP thereby introducing interpolation and scaling where there need be none with a corresponding reduction in sharpness and clarity.

But if you like it this way you can save a bundle buying up older DVD's that were mastered without widescreen or anamorphic treatment thereby cutting the sides off or using pan and scan to override the directors vision :-)
Edited by darkphader - 2/27/13 at 9:20am
post #6095 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

What I find disconcerting about this, is that the Oppo settings have the same level of processing regardless of whether the source is Blu-Ray or DVD. I suppose that the average user would want to define two separate sets of "optimal" settings, one for BD (having say a minimal level of processing) and one for DVD (having say a higher level of sharpening and noise reduction). Indeed you can have two sets of settings -- the '103 actually allows you to store three separate sets of settings. However, whenever you flip from playing a BD to playing a DVD, you have to go back manually into the Setup menu, and select the desired set of settings. This is not what you would expect from a smart device (and it certainly does not have a high WAF): I would expect this to be automatic depending on source type.

=> Can I suggest (request) that Oppo should modify their menu structure so that you have one set of settings loaded automatically when you start to play a BD, and another set of settings loaded automatically when you start to play a DVD?

Just to be clear, when I had my email dialogue with Oppo about this, my take away was that they were they claiming that the QEDO chip
somehow reads the incoming signal, and does indeed modify it's algorithm so the NR effect is minor on BR, much more on SD-DVD and Netflix,
etc.

My complaint is that it only goes down to what they see as 'so little it makes no difference' as opposed to 'off' even when playing BR
discs. And there seem to be some of us who see that 'so little...' enough that we don't feel the picture is quite as sharp as it should be.

But I agree with Bill, if this bothers you too, I would communicate with Oppo directly. One of the reasons I love them as a company
is that they take user satisfaction very seriously, and will almost always make a good faith effort to improve a problem if they hear
it from enough people that it doesn't just seem like a rare or rouge opinion.
post #6096 of 16444
I could swear at one point when I pressed the Input button on the remote that the ROKU was displayed as "ROKU" in the drop down menu. Now when I press Input the menu just says HDMI/MHL In-Front. Odd.
post #6097 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Watch the 3D movie in 2D - it's reasonbly equivalent to cutting the sides off :-)
What you're doing Is more like spending the bucks for a supercharged engine and not turning the blower on.

Agree with gsr and thrang here. But the harm is beyond simple distortion and/or discarding of content (which to many, myself included, is simply not acceptable), it's eliminating the one to one pixel to pixel mapping when using a 1080p source to a 1080p PDP thereby introducing interpolation and scaling where there need be none with a corresponding reduction in sharpness and clarity.

But if you like it this way you can save a bundle buying up older DVD's that were mastered without widescreen or anamorphic treatment thereby cutting the sides off or using pan and scan to override the directors vision :-)

I know exactly where you are coming from....In the car world, if someone buys a mid sixtys unmolested Corvette and then personalizes it and takes out the original engine, puts in one with twice the power and puts modern looking wheels and tires on,many would consider him an idiot. Original unmolested ,untampered ness is alive and well with us guys too. But in the year of 2013 , it confuses me why this director ,or whoever produces these things, can't remedy this and make the" best of" both worlds.I'm sure it can be done.
post #6098 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Thanks Bill and GSR
I just went down and put Argo back in. You are correct. The changeability is in the Panny. The Oppo will not let you, but the TV will. And it looks fantastic, as long as you don't get carried away with the zoom. The Panny has a " Full' setting that is nice.I just can't agree on watching it as intended. That would be like us spending big bucks for a killer engine,and then putting a governor on the race car. If you have a big screen, use it.... Thanks for the info . Tonight is going to be our first 3d movie.....

Hi!

Not to pile on, and fully respecting that as a viewer you should watch however you like, as a film-maker I felt I had to respond.

I know it may seem strange to let portions of that great screen go dark, but if you don't, you may be missing much of both the
information and the art of the film.

Might I suggest you try watching some wide screen films without zooming in, and see if your eyes and taste adjust? You
will not only get a technically better picture, as explained by others, but you will also see the composition and framing
that was intended, and sometimes has a real effect on the impact of an image - both in terms of story and emotion.

Just like higher contrast and other settings are more eye grabbing when you first look at a TV, and one has to adjust to a more
subtle well-calibrated image, you may find that with time you appreciate the subtle gain of seeing the whole image as intended.

Or, you can just tell us all to ^&*R% off and watch just how you like. In the end it's your enjoyment that's most important. wink.gif
post #6099 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I know exactly where you are coming from....In the car world, if someone buys a mid sixtys unmolested Corvette and then personalizes it and takes out the original engine, puts in one with twice the power and puts modern looking wheels and tires on,many would consider him an idiot. Original unmolested ,untampered ness is alive and well with us guys too. But in the year of 2013 , it confuses me why this director ,or whoever produces these things, can't remedy this and make the" best of" both worlds.I'm sure it can be done.

Not to hijack the thread to an off-topic subject (and I'm sure there are threads here on aspect ratios), but the problem is, when you
are shooting the film, you pick a certain aspect ratio (screen shape) to make the film in. It always has to do with what kind
of story you're telling (there's a reason 'Lawrence of Arabia' and '2001' are wide screen, and many intimate dramas are not).
From that point on, everything is affected by that decision, the cinematography, the placement of the actors and other elements in
the scene, the production design, etc..

The only way to do what you are suggesting, and create an optimal version for both regular and wide screen would
be to literally shoot all scenes both ways. That would not only be cost prohibitive, but would end up with all sorts of
awful artistic compromises, as many of the design elements of a film are created specifically for the image shape.

I'm not an expert on cars, but it would be like building a great sports car, but one with a high curb weight. That would
call for a more powerful engine. Yes, you could also put out a model with less horsepower, but that would go against
the very design concept of that particular car.

I hope that makes sense...
post #6100 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post


I hope that makes sense...

More sense than the initial premise.
post #6101 of 16444
I get it. I originally bought an 'HDTV' and wanted to watch movies, since I had loved them throughout.

I thought all movies would fit the screen completely and seeing some that didn't was disturbing. Being used to the way television stations cropped and changed movies to fit the screen, I expected to see movies in the same way, with the screen fully filled in. It was jarring to see the bars on top and bottom, to the point that for a while I did buy movies that completely filled the screen at that resolution.

The problem is that I loved movies, not displays, so needed to see movies in different aspect ratios. Fiddler on the Roof was my transitional movie; I love it and am enamored of the expansive feeling that you get from watching it in the (somewhat modified) 2.34:1. It is a movie whose wide areas should not be squished, cut or tampered with IMO.

I moved on to others that I also love and are not in the 'will fit' aspect. I considered it like an intervention, stepping back from the modifications done in years of broadcast TV watching. I have no problem with it now, preferring the original whenever it's there. I can't imagine watching Lawrence of Arabia in a compressed version, but it did take me a few times to appreciate it.

I am planning to get a larger TV (47" now) at some time because I do want to see the actual display 'larger'. Just my take on it, but I do see where he is coming from.
Edited by hernanu - 2/27/13 at 10:58am
post #6102 of 16444
Try watching Silverado thats been "stretched to fit" the screen. The scene where Costner backs out of the saloon and shoots the two guys down either side of the walkway. On some screens, you cant see both bad guys get shot. Proper aspect ratio, you see down both sides, all the way to both bad guys. Makes the whole scene work.

Try watching Ben Hur in anything besides its intended ratio. Not good.

Just a couple examples.

Movies should be enjoyed as they were intended to be seen. Just my opinion.
post #6103 of 16444
Black bars and OAR: not an OPPO BDP-103 issue! Therefore: off-topic.

Here it is 2013 already but this 2007 article by Josh Zyber still needs to be linked from time to time: High-Def FAQ: Why Don't the Black Bars Go Away?

-Bill
post #6104 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Not to hijack the thread to an off-topic subject (and I'm sure there are threads here on aspect ratios), but the problem is, when you
are shooting the film, you pick a certain aspect ratio (screen shape) to make the film in. It always has to do with what kind
of story you're telling (there's a reason 'Lawrence of Arabia' and '2001' are wide screen, and many intimate dramas are not).
From that point on, everything is affected by that decision, the cinematography, the placement of the actors and other elements in
the scene, the production design, etc..

The only way to do what you are suggesting, and create an optimal version for both regular and wide screen would
be to literally shoot all scenes both ways. That would not only be cost prohibitive, but would end up with all sorts of
awful artistic compromises, as many of the design elements of a film are created specifically for the image shape.

I'm not an expert on cars, but it would be like building a great sports car, but one with a high curb weight. That would
call for a more powerful engine. Yes, you could also put out a model with less horsepower, but that would go against
the very design concept of that particular car.

I hope that makes sense...

Ok , I'm starting to get the drift here( although I think I'll never be able to translate it to my loving wife).So you are saying that on the BR's that I rent that go directly to wide screen and I never have to touch or adjust,that the company/director /boss man that made them, took this into account and budgeted for it?If that is the case and Oppo being hi caliber unit it is, would seem to be a step backward if they remedied the problem through their equipment with today's technology...We are still talk in about the unit,so as to not hijack the thread....

I went ahead and read Bills suggestion of, " why don't the bars go away"... I fully understand. The makers of the films don't really care about how it looks on a TV set. They are in the business of box office sales...period. Something has to be their priority, and until technology helps this issue, its here to stay..Correct?
Edited by ss3740 - 2/27/13 at 11:39am
post #6105 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Ok , I'm starting to get the drift here( although I think I'll never be able to translate it to my loving wife).So you are saying that on the BR's that I rent that go directly to wide screen and I never have to touch or adjust,that the company/director /boss man that made them, took this into account and budgeted for it?If that is the case and Oppo being hi caliber unit it is, would seem to be a step backward if they remedied the problem through their equipment with today's technology...We are still talk in about the unit,so as to not hijack the thread....

I went ahead and read Bills suggestion of, " why don't the bars go away"... I fully understand. The makers of the films don't really care about how it looks on a TV set. They are in the business of box office sales...period. Something has to be their priority, and until technology helps this issue, its here to stay..Correct?
I'll never get why this is still an issue with people in 2013!? Why on earth would you want to compromise the quality of the film, for a cropped image?
post #6106 of 16444
Here's what I've learned after phone conversation with Oppo CSR earlier today:

1. They are aware about serious connectivity glitches with HD cable boxes via HMDI input. That should be addressed in the next FW update, due to be released "within next few weeks".
2. They are working on dedicated tablet app for media control

Let's see...

P.S. Still no ETA for native Amazon Prime Video and Spotify support.
post #6107 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Here's what I've learned after phone conversation with Oppo CSR earlier today:

1. They are aware about serious connectivity glitches with HD cable boxes via HMDI input. That should be addressed in the next FW update, due to be released "within next few weeks".
2. They are working on dedicated tablet app for media control

Let's see...

P.S. Still no ETA for native Amazon Prime Video and Spotify support.
I think it's a shame Oppo don't have their own forum frown.gif
post #6108 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

I'll never get why this is still an issue with people in 2013!? Why on earth would you want to compromise the quality of the film, for a cropped image?

I truly think it is what you get used to...95 % of the time you see a very nice looking full screen. Then you fire up a movie and 20% of the screen disappears.I honestly did not even concider that after paying for a very nice unit that this would be an issue. I just always thought I had cheap stuff.But I'm still looking at the same thing I looked at when had a 90 dollar player. To the average person(me) that just seems goofy. Now that it has been explained to me, at least I understand the why,,,of the issue. But I don't like it, and I bet most people don't.
On the plus side, the 3D is going to be awsome, and the sound is impressive,I like the Pandora and the filmware updates...But that partial screen ,not so much.
post #6109 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

From your info above I would say keep your 93. Mainly due to your statement that you stream from your NAS. The 93 "does not" implement Cinavia code/detection thus any/all MKV structures will play. The 103 "does" implement Cinavia. Not a whole lot of movies have Cinavia but if any of your current or future rips do they would not play on the 103 unless its a movie only rip (no chapters or subtitles etc.). And no one knows if that will even work in the future.

If it wasn't for that I would probably say return the 93 and get the 103. The increase in speed and other minor refinements/additions make it a nice upgrade - especially when the are priced the same..

Thanks!!

Now I goto decide if it's worth it.
post #6110 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I honestly did not even concider that after paying for a very nice unit that this would be an issue. I just always thought I had cheap stuff.But I'm still looking at the same thing I looked at when had a 90 dollar player. To the average person(me) that just seems goofy. Now that it has been explained to me, at least I understand the why,,,of the issue. But I don't like it, and I bet most people don't.

Anything else would require Geometry Not Of This Earth. Even $499 doesn't buy you that.

Again: this is not an OPPO issue.

-Bill
post #6111 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I truly think it is what you get used to...95 % of the time you see a very nice looking full screen. Then you fire up a movie and 20% of the screen disappears.I honestly did not even concider that after paying for a very nice unit that this would be an issue. I just always thought I had cheap stuff.But I'm still looking at the same thing I looked at when had a 90 dollar player. To the average person(me) that just seems goofy. Now that it has been explained to me, at least I understand the why,,,of the issue. But I don't like it, and I bet most people don't.
On the plus side, the 3D is going to be awsome, and the sound is impressive,I like the Pandora and the filmware updates...But that partial screen ,not so much.
It is honestly something I got used to right away with the very first DVD player I purchased. I was actually comparing my old standard vhs tapes to dvds at the time, and marveled at all the stuff I was missing. To each their own, but when I actually watch a bluray that fills my screen, I actually sometimes wonder, ( was this actually filmed in this aspect ratio, or did the company putting out this bluray crop it?)
post #6112 of 16444
I just want to commend Oppo on their outstanding customer service. They are a role model for the entire HT Industry and for that matter all consumer products. In my instance, I had some occasional handshake issues with my new model Yamaha AVR several weeks ago. They assured me then that they "were on it". Today I received an unsolicited email from their customer service with a corrective firmware update. I loaded it onto a USB, put it in the Oppo, and after a quick upload, it solved the problem. Once in a while I splurge on a "high end toy" from reputable companies but never experience this high level of genuine care or professionalism. Oppo "had me at hello" and will keep my loyalty for many, many years.
post #6113 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Anything else would require Geometry Not Of This Earth. Even $499 doesn't buy you that.

Again: this is not an OPPO issue.

-Bill


Bill

Sounds like you think 20 years from now we will still have black bars on home screens. I think I would take that bet. I can't believe the pace of technology in todays world.

And this IS an Oppo issue...They make a very nice machine..Now if we could just get them to make it in America...That is probably not of this earth either..LOL
post #6114 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I could swear at one point when I pressed the Input button on the remote that the ROKU was displayed as "ROKU" in the drop down menu. Now when I press Input the menu just says HDMI/MHL In-Front. Odd.

It will say ROKU if the Roku Streaming Stick is plugged into the Front HDMI Input and booted up. Are you sure you still have the stick inserted? Do you have a Roku icon on the player's Home Menu screen?
--Bob
post #6115 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Bill

Sounds like you think 20 years from now we will still have black bars on home screens. I think I would take that bet. I can't believe the pace of technology in todays world.

And this IS an Oppo issue...They make a very nice machine..Now if we could just get them to make it in America...That is probably not of this earth either..LOL

I surrender.



-Bill
post #6116 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It will say ROKU if the Roku Streaming Stick is plugged into the Front HDMI Input and booted up. Are you sure you still have the stick inserted? Do you have a Roku icon on the player's Home Menu screen?
--Bob

Yes, because I went and used it after pressing the input that said HDMI/HML ......but I think the icon was missing on the home screen, so that was another difference. Weird.

Another thought just came to me, I rebooted my internet modem last night, so maybe it did not recongnize when I turned it on the first time today...I will have to test to see if it is back to normal later now that I have used the ROKU again this afternoon.
post #6117 of 16444
^ Reboot the player and check again. If the problem persists, send an email to OPPO Tech Support with what you've found.

The ROKU stick will periodically update firmware, etc., and you may have caught it while it was rebooting (which takes a while). Also, if you change back to Energy Efficient instead of using Quick Start for power cycles, then the ROKU stick has to reboot every time you power up. Again, that takes a while.
--Bob
post #6118 of 16444
Anyone have any problem with the Eagles farewell BD disk that came out yesterday?
Here is what I sent to Oppo support to see if they have suggestion for me:

I have had very positive results with my BDP-103 until yesterday. I received the new Blu-ray of The Eagles farewell tour Melbourne and when I try to access the disk pop-up menu it is very erratic and sometimes skips from point to point, and makes it hard to navigate to different songs and features via the menu. I also tried the same disk in my BDP-93 & PS3, and they do not exhibit this problem. This is first disk with problem for me on the 103 and wonder if any of you folks at Oppo have any suggestions for a fix?
post #6119 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

... when I try to access the disk pop-up menu it is very erratic and sometimes skips from point to point, and makes it hard to navigate to different songs and features via the menu.

Same problem here as well...

IIRC, the menu on the HD-DVD was a bit clunky as well.
post #6120 of 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I truly think it is what you get used to...95 % of the time you see a very nice looking full screen. Then you fire up a movie and 20% of the screen disappears.I honestly did not even concider that after paying for a very nice unit that this would be an issue. I just always thought I had cheap stuff.But I'm still looking at the same thing I looked at when had a 90 dollar player. To the average person(me) that just seems goofy. Now that it has been explained to me, at least I understand the why,,,of the issue. But I don't like it, and I bet most people don't.
On the plus side, the 3D is going to be awsome, and the sound is impressive,I like the Pandora and the filmware updates...But that partial screen ,not so much.

I watch in the dark, so I don't even notice the black bars. Of course all BD players will have the same black bars when the movie is filmed in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9 (not sure why you expected the Oppo to be any different, no matter what the price). Personally, I'd rather have 20% of the screen not used than, after buying a beautiful HDTV, sacrifice PQ by distorting or lowering the resolution (which is what you are doing by zooming). To each his own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread