or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 216

post #6451 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post


I play region 2 DVDs using the software hack on the 83. Is there anything like that for the 103?

The same thing works on the the -103: the Superdisc patch.

This is in the FAQ, by the way.

-Bill
post #6452 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

is there discrete codes for all apps and inputs?

No, not yet. We've asked for that.
Quote:
what does discrete on and off due from the download ir codes from oppo?

Discrete on and off are not toggles: if the player is already on then discrete on does nothing. Same for discrete off. The "power" command always changes the state of the player.

Previous OPPO remotes had discrete on and off buttons. They were removed with the -103, probably to make room for the big Netflix button. Which, believe it or not, is required by Netflix.

The player still responds to the discrete codes, even though they are not on the remote.

-Bill
post #6453 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This also can't apply to the original DVDs, which are always interlaced.

-Bill
Actually no, they're not. All commercially produced DVD movies actually contain progressive MPEG-2 encoded images.

That aside, I've also just carried out some tests using some of my 'work related' 1920x1080 lossless RGB progressive video sources (that I've re-encoded to 720x480p24 and 720x576p25). And the results are still the same... The Oppo outputs them as interlaced when set to 'Source Direct' - which is wrong wink.gif


Cheers
post #6454 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by videopotus View Post


Thank you, both. I had looked at the Darblet thread, and found it to be helpful, but was hoping to see some 103 owner's experiences as to the effect. Sounds like it might be worth it?
I've been using the Darblet with my 103 in my dedicated HT and have noticed a very nice uptick in PQ , especially clarity. Several frequent guests and my nephew who lives with me have said the same thing without knowing I had installed the device. I'm using it with an ISF calibrated 65" Panasonic plasma.
post #6455 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This also can't apply to the original DVDs, which are always interlaced.

-Bill
Actually no, they're not. All commercially produced DVD movies actually contain progressive MPEG-2 encoded images.

The output of the decoder is always 480i or 576i. I've never heard of an exception in DVD or Blu-ray players.

-Bill
post #6456 of 16419
For anyone who's interested, I've quickly generated some 'square pixel' test cards for people to try with their set-ups.

All the videos have all been encoded using MPEG-4 AVC at 1024x576p25 and 854x480p24 and placed within different containers. When 'Source Direct' is selected, the output should be 576p or 480p. But it's not... It's passed as interlaced.

Also, the MP4 contained version of the 1024x576p25 video is output at 480i... And you guys can see for yourselves how much the Oppo struggles with the 854x480p24 test cards!!!!

Sufficed to say, it would seem Oppo needs to do some refinements to their players file parser...

Std-def Test Cards.zip 4458k .zip file
post #6457 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

For anyone who's interested, I've quickly generated some 'square pixel' test cards for people to try with their set-ups.

All the videos have all been encoded using MPEG-4 AVC at 1024x576p25 and 854x480p24 and placed within different containers. When 'Source Direct' is selected, the output should be 576p or 480p. But it's not... It's passed as interlaced.

Also, the MP4 contained version of the 1024x576p25 video is output at 480i... And you guys can see for yourselves how much the Oppo struggles with the 854x480p24 test cards!!!!

Sufficed to say, it would seem Oppo needs to do some refinements to their players file parser...

Std-def Test Cards.zip 4458k .zip file

I'm looking at the the allowed timings for 480 and 576 video in the HDMI spec as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video

  • 640x480p @ 59.94/60 Hz
  • 720x480p @ 59.94/60 Hz
  • 720x576p @ 50 Hz
  • 720(1440)x480i @ 59.94/60 Hz
  • 720(1440)x576i @ 50 Hz

None of them allow 23.976/24hz. So the player cannot transmit the video format in your examples as given, even with Source Direct. Something has to be changed. The frame rate has to go to 60hz. Could it do that and stay progressive? Possibly. Your 576p example could theoretically work if it were 720 wide rather than 1024. 854 is not a standard width either.

-Bill
post #6458 of 16419
Having a big problem today. frown.gif

I currently have 2 external USB hard drives hooked to the back of the 103, each holding various types of media (mostly video files.)

After viewing something from one of the drives, I returned to the main menu of the Oppo. When I hit the movie icon again, it gave me the choice of both hard drives (as normal.) Here is where the glitch comes...no matter which drive I pick, it says loading and gives me the spinning icon...forever. I let it sit for 10 minutes just to be sure it was really frozen. Then, I tried different buttons on the remote to cancel the loading. No buttons on the remote did anything, including the power button. I stood up and pushed the power button on the unit itself...still on, still loading. I pulled the plug out of the wall, and then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. It then worked fine...until I viewed something, backed out to the main menu, and then went back in to view something else. Same freeze, and I had to unplug the unit from the wall again. I really don't want to keep unplugging this thing to get it to work. Anyone else experience this?
post #6459 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Having a big problem today. frown.gif

I currently have 2 external USB hard drives hooked to the back of the 103, each holding various types of media (mostly video files.)

After viewing something from one of the drives, I returned to the main menu of the Oppo. When I hit the movie icon again, it gave me the choice of both hard drives (as normal.) Here is where the glitch comes...no matter which drive I pick, it says loading and gives me the spinning icon...forever. I let it sit for 10 minutes just to be sure it was really frozen. Then, I tried different buttons on the remote to cancel the loading. No buttons on the remote did anything, including the power button. I stood up and pushed the power button on the unit itself...still on, still loading. I pulled the plug out of the wall, and then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. It then worked fine...until I viewed something, backed out to the main menu, and then went back in to view something else. Same freeze, and I had to unplug the unit from the wall again. I really don't want to keep unplugging this thing to get it to work. Anyone else experience this?

That happened on my 103 yesterday too. Is it weird?
Thanks for pointing it out.
post #6460 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Having a big problem today. frown.gif

I currently have 2 external USB hard drives hooked to the back of the 103, each holding various types of media (mostly video files.)

After viewing something from one of the drives, I returned to the main menu of the Oppo. When I hit the movie icon again, it gave me the choice of both hard drives (as normal.) Here is where the glitch comes...no matter which drive I pick, it says loading and gives me the spinning icon...forever. I let it sit for 10 minutes just to be sure it was really frozen. Then, I tried different buttons on the remote to cancel the loading. No buttons on the remote did anything, including the power button. I stood up and pushed the power button on the unit itself...still on, still loading. I pulled the plug out of the wall, and then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. It then worked fine...until I viewed something, backed out to the main menu, and then went back in to view something else. Same freeze, and I had to unplug the unit from the wall again. I really don't want to keep unplugging this thing to get it to work. Anyone else experience this?

I would mount each HD on a computer and do a chkdsk, repairing if needed.

Then try 1 at a time on the player, then both.

If still problems, try varying the USB ports used.

If still no good, contact OPPO.

-Bill
post #6461 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Having a big problem today. frown.gif

I currently have 2 external USB hard drives hooked to the back of the 103, each holding various types of media (mostly video files.)

After viewing something from one of the drives, I returned to the main menu of the Oppo. When I hit the movie icon again, it gave me the choice of both hard drives (as normal.) Here is where the glitch comes...no matter which drive I pick, it says loading and gives me the spinning icon...forever. I let it sit for 10 minutes just to be sure it was really frozen. Then, I tried different buttons on the remote to cancel the loading. No buttons on the remote did anything, including the power button. I stood up and pushed the power button on the unit itself...still on, still loading. I pulled the plug out of the wall, and then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. It then worked fine...until I viewed something, backed out to the main menu, and then went back in to view something else. Same freeze, and I had to unplug the unit from the wall again. I really don't want to keep unplugging this thing to get it to work. Anyone else experience this?
No, I don't have firsthand experience with a failure like this.

But it's most likely due to some folder/file on the external USB drives that the 103 is trying to navigate through, in order to present the folder layout. Were these drives built by a Mac or a Windows PC? What file system (FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, what)?

What format video files are present?

I've had no problem using the 103 to navigate through and play music files off of a Cowon J3 music player plugged into USB, including accessing both internal and external storage (both FAT32 from Windows) as two top-level primary folders. Same with a USB drive I plugged into the front, with 64GB (NTFS from Windows) of assorted video files on it of AVI and MPG. No problems playing music or video files in either case.
post #6462 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Your 576p example could theoretically work if it were 720 wide rather than 1024. 854 is not a standard width either.
Indeed... These were quickly generated test sample, I did not have time to create 'non-square' pixel versions. But as you quite correctly say, videos encoded at 720x576p should be output at 576p... but they are not.

Here's a sample: 720x576p25.000fps.zip 4556k .zip file

This version of the Extended display identification data list might prove more useful...
post #6463 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This also can't apply to the original DVDs, which are always interlaced.

-Bill
Actually no, they're not. All commercially produced DVD movies actually contain progressive MPEG-2 encoded images.

. . . .

The data on an NTSC SD-DVD disc is 480i/59.94. It may have originated as interlaced (the two fields recorded one after the other -- time separated -- as from a traditional video camera) or as progressive (the two fields recorded simultaneously in time as when scanning in a frame of film), but the data is STILL put on the disc as 480i/59.94 -- which gets de-interlaced to 480p/29.97 (and then frame doubled to 480p/59.94 for "progressive" displays).

Source direct for NTSC SD-DVDs is thus 480i/59.94, regardless of whether the original content is video, computer graphics, or film. In particular, for film -- the primary source of progressive scans -- the data on disc MUST still be kept as interlaced, as otherwise the repeat cadence for telecine can't happen field by field, which would cause major flicker problems on traditional TVs. I.e., trying to do full frame telecine at only 30fps rendering (60 interlaced fields per second) simply doesn't fly.

Although telecine is not needed for PAL SD-DVDs, the data on disc is still recorded interlaced, even when the original is progressive. All of this comes from the fact that when SD-DVD was introduced, the market was still dominated by traditional, CRT, non-progressive TVs.
--Bob
post #6464 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Having a big problem today. frown.gif

I currently have 2 external USB hard drives hooked to the back of the 103, each holding various types of media (mostly video files.)

After viewing something from one of the drives, I returned to the main menu of the Oppo. When I hit the movie icon again, it gave me the choice of both hard drives (as normal.) Here is where the glitch comes...no matter which drive I pick, it says loading and gives me the spinning icon...forever. I let it sit for 10 minutes just to be sure it was really frozen. Then, I tried different buttons on the remote to cancel the loading. No buttons on the remote did anything, including the power button. I stood up and pushed the power button on the unit itself...still on, still loading. I pulled the plug out of the wall, and then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. It then worked fine...until I viewed something, backed out to the main menu, and then went back in to view something else. Same freeze, and I had to unplug the unit from the wall again. I really don't want to keep unplugging this thing to get it to work. Anyone else experience this?

If the drives check out when you verify them on your computer, then try again in the OPPO with GraceNote lookup turned off. Setup > Network Setup > GraceNote Lookup.

If that seems to fix the problem, be sure to include that information when you get in touch with OPPO.

Another possibility is that the two drives you are using are set to go to sleep if they are not continuously accessed. Thus the unused drive goes to sleep while watching video from the other drive. If it is not waking up properly afterwards, that may be what's blocking the OPPO browser. If the drives are sharing an enclosure, the setting to control this may be in the enclosure. If preventing the drives from going to sleep seems to fix the problem then that could either be a bug in the drive or in the OPPO. Let OPPO Tech Support know what you have discovered (including info on the drives and any enclosure you are using).
--Bob
post #6465 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Were these drives built by a Mac or a Windows PC? What file system (FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, what)?

What format video files are present?

They are formatted NTFS. I have a desktop PC. The video files are a combination of mp4, mkv, and avi.

The 103 has no problems playing any file I've thrown at it...where the crash happens is when I try to choose which HDD to play the movie file from.
post #6466 of 16419
So finally tried HDMI 2 - And while the picture is different it is certainly sharper than the HDMI 1 picutre at sharpness 0 and less processed looking than HDMI +1. You do sacrifice some of the "wow" factor a small bit but the attention to fine detail so far appears to outweigh the "cool" factor of HDMI 1. Question for everyone, if I was happy with a Color Space/Deep Color combo on HDMI 1, is there any reason to believe I should not keee it the exact same on HDMI 2 or are there other factors that could cause results from HDMI 2 to potenttialy be different with diff Color Spaces/Deep Color?

Now, I still believe that the "right" answer is to either reduce the amount of NR on HDMI1 OR allow for smaller steps in Sharpness.........
post #6467 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If the drives check out when you verify them on your computer, then try again in the OPPO with GraceNote lookup turned off. Setup > Network Setup > GraceNote Lookup.

If that seems to fix the problem, be sure to include that information when you get in touch with OPPO.

Another possibility is that the two drives you are using are set to go to sleep if they are not continuously accessed. Thus the unused drive goes to sleep while watching video from the other drive. If it is not waking up properly afterwards, that may be what's blocking the OPPO browser. If the drives are sharing an enclosure, the setting to control this may be in the enclosure. If preventing the drives from going to sleep seems to fix the problem then that could either be a bug in the drive or in the OPPO. Let OPPO Tech Support know what you have discovered (including info on the drives and any enclosure you are using).
--Bob

The drives look normal when I examine them on my PC.

I turned off the Gracenote during initial setup, and the player is not connected to the internet.

The sleep thing is an interesting idea. The drives each came in their own enclosure. I have no idea how to stop them from going to sleep, though, if that is what's causing it. My question is: why wouldn't the drive just wake up once I tried to access it?
post #6468 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

The drives look normal when I examine them on my PC.

I turned off the Gracenote during initial setup, and the player is not connected to the internet.

The sleep thing is an interesting idea. The drives each came in their own enclosure. I have no idea how to stop them from going to sleep, though, if that is what's causing it. My question is: why wouldn't the drive just wake up once I tried to access it?

Well that would be a bug of course. The question is whether it is in the drive or the player. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support, including model details on the drives. They may have some history with those drives.

Another thing to try would be to see if you can go back and forth between the drives quickly. I.e., start a video on one drive, stop it right away, and try to start a video on the other drive. Rinse and repeat. If *THAT* works -- i.e., if the problem only shows up when one drive is unused for a longer period of time -- then that would be evidence of a "sleep" problem.
--Bob
post #6469 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Your 576p example could theoretically work if it were 720 wide rather than 1024. 854 is not a standard width either.
Indeed... These were quickly generated test sample, I did not have time to create 'non-square' pixel versions. But as you quite correctly say, videos encoded at 720x576p should be output at 576p... but they are not.

Here's a sample: 720x576p25.000fps.zip 4556k .zip file

This version of the Extended display identification data list might prove more useful...

Pass on your sample files to OPPO Tech Support and they'll be able to figure out what's going on. (i.e., don't assume they'll spot this info just because you posted it here.)
--Bob
post #6470 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

So finally tried HDMI 2 - And while the picture is different it is certainly sharper than the HDMI 1 picutre at sharpness 0 and less processed looking than HDMI +1. You do sacrifice some of the "wow" factor a small bit but the attention to fine detail so far appears to outweigh the "cool" factor of HDMI 1. Question for everyone, if I was happy with a Color Space/Deep Color combo on HDMI 1, is there any reason to believe I should not keee it the exact same on HDMI 2 or are there other factors that could cause results from HDMI 2 to potenttialy be different with diff Color Spaces/Deep Color?

Now, I still believe that the "right" answer is to either reduce the amount of NR on HDMI1 OR allow for smaller steps in Sharpness.........

The color up sampling issues I found on HDMI 2 appeared to cause a reduction in the color luminance or washed out the colors depending upon which color space was chosen. Some people reported no up sampling problem with one or more color spaces. My advice (until Oppo fixes this) is to view very familiar reference material and change the color space to see if you can find one that brings the "wow" back. The "wow" should not be missing. Good luck.
post #6471 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

The color up sampling issues I found on HDMI 2 appeared to cause a reduction in the color luminance or washed out the colors depending upon which color space was chosen. Some people reported no up sampling problem with one or more color spaces. My advice (until Oppo fixes this) is to view very familiar reference material and change the color space to see if you can find one that brings the "wow" back. The "wow" should not be missing. Good luck.

There may also be another 'wow' factor issue, just based on my eye with SD-DVD discs. On films I had mastered, it seemed clear to me
that HDMI 1 was adding some slight extra contrast, which gave a pleasing, but inaccurate 'pop' to the image. When compared to the 983
or 83, whose image I consider very close to perfect reference copies of the original master, there was no question that HDMI 1 had more
contrast. HDMI 2 was much closer to the ABT output on the older machines.

I don't know what the technical reasons for this could be, but I had other people look at the image just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I have yet to test it on BR, but it was clear that HDMI 1, even with everything set to 0, was doing more than just NR when compared
to HDMI 2. So that may (or may not) have something to do with the missing 'wow' factor.
post #6472 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

1. No. OPPO players have never supported VIDEO_TS as a directory structure. I'm not sure any Blu-ray player does that, although some media server products do.

I convert DVD structures to MKV, but that is best for 1 title per file, no menus.

2. I'm sure OPPO has seen the embedded subtitles the player produces. If you want to register a crappiness critique you should send them some feedback so they don't forget.

-Bill
Thanks Bill, every MKV with embedded subs that I've seen uses the same font, which is very different to the player-generated one for Blu-ray discs, they're much smaller and very "soft" in relation to their player-generated counterpart. If you're watching in HD then the subs appear as if they are in SD, plus there are frequent font errors within the subs for many films, where a certain character (like a capital H for instance) is in a different typeface to the rest of the subs. Another error I've seen a fair few times as well is a lower case l taking the place of an upper case I (and I'm not talking about an interchangable vertical line I & l, but an upper case I with the top and bottom serif, and the lower case l with the bottom serif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

If you use the original 'graphics based' (VOBsub) subtitles from your DVD (instead of converting them to 'text based' subtitles) they will perform and look exactly the same as the DVD when placed within the .MKV container
Is this the same for Blu-rays too? Do they have graphics based subtitles too? I've noticed that the Japanese Ghibli blu-rays have their own unique font that's not at all like the usual Oppo-generated ones (the ghibli fonts are actually a bit crap tbh, lots of weird little glitches).
post #6473 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

Thanks Bill, every MKV with embedded subs that I've seen uses the same font, which is very different to the player-generated one for Blu-ray discs,

Subtitles for Blu-ray and DVD Video are not generated by the player, they are graphic images that the player has no control over. They should look the same on every player.
Quote:
there are frequent font errors within the subs for many films, where a certain character (like a capital H for instance) is in a different typeface to the rest of the subs. Another error I've seen a fair few times as well is a lower case l taking the place of an upper case I (and I'm not talking about an interchangable vertical line I & l, but an upper case I with the top and bottom serif, and the lower case l with the bottom serif)

These sound like encoding errors in the text subtitles. Where are they coming from?

Quote:
Is this the same for Blu-rays too? Do they have graphics based subtitles too?

DVD and Blu-ray both use graphic subtitles, but of a different format. DVD uses VOBSUB, Blu-ray uses PGS/SUP.

The OPPO supports VOBSUB in MKV, but not PGS/SUP. (I've asked for it). However, there is a free utility BDSup2Sub which will convert PGS/SUP to hidef VOBSUB.

-Bill
post #6474 of 16419
I was just thinking how useful closed captions would be for a family member in the realm of Vudu and came across this relatively recent post from Vudu themselves: http://vudu.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/298/~/does-vudu-offer-closed-captioning

I suppose I need to prod Vudu on this matter since that posting is over 5 months old.
post #6475 of 16419
Am looking for some upgrade advice. Just ordered the 103 and am considering upgrading my avr. Currently a Yamaha rx-v540.
Am running 5.1 in a 10 x14 room. One thought is the yamaha rx-a1020. Another is keep the avr and add either a separate pre pro like the marantz 7701 or an amp. Would like to keep it no more than $1,500. Thoughts?
post #6476 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfive View Post

Am looking for some upgrade advice. Just ordered the 103 and am considering upgrading my avr. Currently a Yamaha rx-v540.
Am running 5.1 in a 10 x14 room. One thought is the yamaha rx-a1020. Another is keep the avr and add either a separate pre pro like the marantz 7701 or an amp. Would like to keep it no more than $1,500. Thoughts?

Anthem MRX 500
post #6477 of 16419
Quote:
Anthem MRX 500

I own one of these (MRX-500), although I am using an Outlaw 7500 amp with it....mates up beautifully with the 103...
post #6478 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

The 103 has no problems playing any file I've thrown at it...where the crash happens is when I try to choose which HDD to play the movie file from.
Do the two drives present initially as two folders, with different "volume serial labels"? And then you select one or the other and begin to drill-down to navigate the folder structure underneath?

With my Cowon J3, its internal storage (32GB FAT32 "drive") has been initialized with a label of "Cowon J3". Its external microSDHC storage card (64GB FAT32 "drive") has been initialized with a label of "SDXC64GB". After plugging the J3 into a USB port on the 103 and choosing MUSIC from the 103's home screen menu, both of these uniquely named "drive labels" for these two "USB drives" are presented as if they were two highest-level parent folders. I then choose one or the other with the arrow keys on the remote, and push OK, and downward navigation proceeds.

Are your two drives initialized with different labels, so as to be uniquely recognizable?

What appears onscreen at the initial presentation which should show both drives as folders with their labels, and what button from the 103 home menu are you using to start the navigation from?
post #6479 of 16419
Is it possible with this player to setup settings based on input resolution? For instance bluray and 1080i input i will probably like no setting adjustments, but 720p and lower i wouldnt mind if it applied maybe some slight noise reduction.
post #6480 of 16419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Is it possible with this player to setup settings based on input resolution? For instance bluray and 1080i input i will probably like no setting adjustments, but 720p and lower i wouldnt mind if it applied maybe some slight noise reduction.
Nope.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread