or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 277

post #8281 of 16368
A quick question. I just received my BDP-103 and I'm intrigued with its ability to upscale "sources" to 4K. If I run the HDMI output from my Directv DVR to the HDMI input on the Oppo, can I upscale that source?

Sorry if this has been posted before - a search didn't help and there are 278 pages in this thread!
post #8282 of 16368
You can upscale to 1080 but 4K upscaling requires a 4K display. Now, if you have one of those...
post #8283 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post

Thanks guys. I like the idea of buying from a regular source with proper warranties etc:)

If you perform the mod yourself, which involves plugging one cable into one port and closing the player back up, you'll still retain the Oppo warranty. As far as anyone here is aware, Oppo has never denied warranty service for a player modified by the owner (assuming the mod isn't permanently soldered to the board); you can even leave the mod in the player when you send it in for service. However, if you buy a player from a reseller that's been modified, the warranty is void.

You're better off buying an unmodified player from an authorized dealer and installing the mod yourself than buying a modified unit.
post #8284 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc1992 View Post

My level of frustration with this player grows with each use. i really feel that for 500.00 I should not have to have a degree in computer science to get the thing running. I have tried to install oshare, that keeps crashing, ps3 media share doesn't work very smoothly ( My XBOX does a better job) in fact my xbox does a better job wirelessly than the Oppo does WIRED! I bought this to stream on my home network and play bluray.

OK, I'll bite...
Since you have a 103, you don't need DNLA at all, just use SMB to access your files directly. Now, setting up Windows file sharing is a challenge too.
Your complaints create the impression that your network has issues with DNLA, but that's a separate question. Learn up on SMB and file sharing, its a fantastic tool.
post #8285 of 16368
^^^I just plugged a HD right into my router, it works for me.
post #8286 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post

Thanks guys. I like the idea of buying from a regular source with proper warranties etc:)

If your intention is to install the mod chip yourself, just make sure that the player actually has the required internal connector for the mod chip. Some players out there no longer have this connector. Your only options then are either a soldered mod (very hard to do yourself) or one that hooks up to the external serial port.

This mod chip is only needed for Blu-ray region mods. DVD region can be modified easily with a software patch (already mentioned in this thread and the FAQ).
post #8287 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you asking for help?

-Bill
Well, I am a little frazzled at myself really and was blowing off steam, sorry. I just wish it was a little more "plug and play". Has anyone found a media player that works? Oshare keeps crashing on my computer, it will not launch at all and I have to reinstall it, then when setting it up it will crash again. Thanks for letting me ramble.
post #8288 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What "critics" are you reading? You should stop reading them, because they are either blind, or idiots, or very likely both. The Dune Blu-ray is literally (and I literally mean "literally" in the proper use of that word) one hundred billion times better than the DVD you own. It's also at least 500 million times better than the last "remastered" DVD, which was so smothered in DNR that it had no textural detail at all left. The Blu-ray has no DNR at all, no edge enhancement at all, tons of detail and great colors.

Is the Blu-ray perfect? It has a few specks of dust that weren't digitally erased. Heavens to betsy.

The disc is currently $9 on Amazon. Buy it.

You are absolutely right...

...so I bought it!
post #8289 of 16368
Can anyone comment on the 103's Audio/Video streaming quality?

Like can it do all the 3D from Netflix, Amazon, Vudu or whomever?

What about higher audio codecs like DD+?

Is there any benefit to getting the Roku stick or just get the Roku 3?

Thanks!
post #8290 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc1992 View Post

Well, I am a little frazzled at myself really and was blowing off steam, sorry. I just wish it was a little more "plug and play". Has anyone found a media player that works? Oshare keeps crashing on my computer, it will not launch at all and I have to reinstall it, then when setting it up it will crash again. Thanks for letting me ramble.

You can't give up after trying just one thing. This is home networking.

The DLNA servers people have reported using are listed in the FAQ: What are some DLNA servers?

Most everyone reports immediate success with Twonky. It has a free trial and is not expensive if you want to keep it.

-Bill
post #8291 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Can anyone comment on the 103's Audio/Video streaming quality?

Mostly we like it a lot.
Quote:
Like can it do all the 3D from Netflix, Amazon, Vudu or whomever?

I didn't know Netflix had 3D.

Vudu does, and that is supported.

No Amazon: you need Roku for that.
Quote:
What about higher audio codecs like DD+?

Yes.
Quote:
Is there any benefit to getting the Roku stick or just get the Roku 3?

Advantage Roku Streaming Stick: can use the OPPO remote (but not for games), one less box in your setup.

Advantage: Roku box: can use wired ethernet, no large dongle sticking out the front of the player

-Bill
post #8292 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Mostly we like it a lot.
I didn't know Netflix had 3D.

Vudu does, and that is supported.

No Amazon: you need Roku for that.
Yes.
Advantage Roku Streaming Stick: can use the OPPO remote (but not for games), one less box in your setup.

Advantage: Roku box: can use wired ethernet, no large dongle sticking out the front of the player

-Bill

Thanks, Bill. Thats what I was trying to figure out, if its worth it to even get a Roku as the Oppo has a lot of the streaming services I use. Was wanting to make sure it supported 1080P, 3D streaming and all that. Shouldn't have doubted the Oppo. smile.gif

Didn't catch that it doesn't have Amazon though. So I guess I'll just end up getting the Roku 3.
post #8293 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

If you perform the mod yourself, which involves plugging one cable into one port and closing the player back up, you'll still retain the Oppo warranty. As far as anyone here is aware, Oppo has never denied warranty service for a player modified by the owner (assuming the mod isn't permanently soldered to the board); you can even leave the mod in the player when you send it in for service. However, if you buy a player from a reseller that's been modified, the warranty is void.

You're better off buying an unmodified player from an authorized dealer and installing the mod yourself than buying a modified unit.

Thanks I appreciate the input.
post #8294 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy911 View Post

If your intention is to install the mod chip yourself, just make sure that the player actually has the required internal connector for the mod chip. Some players out there no longer have this connector. Your only options then are either a soldered mod (very hard to do yourself) or one that hooks up to the external serial port.

This mod chip is only needed for Blu-ray region mods. DVD region can be modified easily with a software patch (already mentioned in this thread and the FAQ).

That's use re the DVD region free. Are you saying that the latest irteration of the player requires a soldered chipset for the BD RF work or does Oppo randomly change the build?
post #8295 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can't give up after trying just one thing. This is home networking.

The DLNA servers people have reported using are listed in the FAQ: What are some DLNA servers?

Most everyone reports immediate success with Twonky. It has a free trial and is not expensive if you want to keep it.

-Bill
Thanks, I just hate thinking i'm not up on all this tweaking lingo and methods. The player is fine, didn't want people discouraged from my ineptitude.
post #8296 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Out of interest...

If anybody here has their SACD.ISO files stored on a Synology NAS. Have you tried playing them using the Synology's ISO mounting application?

"Failed to mount image."

*sadface*
post #8297 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post


That's use re the DVD region free. Are you saying that the latest irteration of the player requires a soldered chipset for the BD RF work or does Oppo randomly change the build?

I've heard of internal changes to the EU player, but the not US version.

-Bill
post #8298 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Thanks, Bill. Thats what I was trying to figure out, if its worth it to even get a Roku as the Oppo has a lot of the streaming services I use. Was wanting to make sure it supported 1080P, 3D streaming and all that. Shouldn't have doubted the Oppo. smile.gif

Didn't catch that it doesn't have Amazon though. So I guess I'll just end up getting the Roku 3.

FWIW, the Roku Stick now has the same version software as the Roku-3. Other operational differences still apply. (remote, connectivity, etc.)
post #8299 of 16368
I was watching Avatar 2D Bluray on my 103 with the latest available official software last night, and around 3/4's the way through on a chapter I believe called "I see you" I lost audio. I've never had that happen, and the only way I could get it back was to stop the movie and restart/resume it. Not sure what the issue is, but I've watched this movie before on the PS3 and I know I didn't see it then. Guess I'll just have to watch it again sometime and see if the same thing occurs.
post #8300 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

You are absolutely right...

...so I bought it!

biggrin.gif

Nobody knows this movie better than I do. The Blu-ray is a massive upgrade. If you like the movie, you'll be glad you bought it.
post #8301 of 16368
Just got a 80" 844u and oppo 103 arrived today and debating getting a cheaper av receiver what do you all think no more than 500. Will this be sufficient enough? Also will the 103 create a better picture to the sharp from direct tv and if so how do i go about hooking it up?
post #8302 of 16368
Oh man I'm at work shaking, my wife sent me this pic, I need to get home ASAP biggrin.gif

post #8303 of 16368
Congrats!
post #8304 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND View Post

Just got a 80" 844u and oppo 103 arrived today and debating getting a cheaper av receiver what do you all think no more than 500. Will this be sufficient enough? Also will the 103 create a better picture to the sharp from direct tv and if so how do i go about hooking it up?

Hook DirecTV up to the 103 using the HDMI Input on the rear. You will get a better picture.
post #8305 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Oh man I'm at work shaking, my wife sent me this pic, I need to get home ASAP biggrin.gif


Did you warn your wife of your forthcoming sleep deprivation? biggrin.gif
post #8306 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND View Post

Just got a 80" 844u and Oppo 103 arrived today and debating getting a cheaper av receiver what do you all think no more than 500. Will this be sufficient enough?

My opinion only. You just spent a whole bunch for your Sharp and the Oppo. The receiver is the heart of any system and offers a myriad of options and quality that both of these new devices must go through. Spend a hundred dollars more ($600) and run as fast as you can to the nearest Costco that still has the Pioneer SC-1522-K in stock and get it into your car. It has a MSRP of $1600 and is identical to their SC-65 Elite. There is a separate 1522 thread on this forum (see below) which you can review at your leisure. If you don't like it, bring it right back to Costco anytime. It's the sale of the year but you need to get moving and find the right store quickly. Where are you? Someone close to a source is bound to pipe in. Good luck.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread
Edited by alnilam1 - 5/3/13 at 12:20pm
post #8307 of 16368
^^^^ this ^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND View Post

Just got a 80" 844u and oppo 103 arrived today and debating getting a cheaper av receiver what do you all think no more than 500. Will this be sufficient enough? Also will the 103 create a better picture to the sharp from direct tv and if so how do i go about hooking it up?

Depends on your speakers, features you want, etc. Plenty of good receivers at that price if everything else fits well. I'd ask in the amp / receivers forum.
post #8308 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Oh man I'm at work shaking, my wife sent me this pic, I need to get home ASAP biggrin.gif


Congratulations! I know I'm loving mine and learning more about it all the time. Tonight I'm going to try my first USB MKV movie to see how it works...
post #8309 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flave View Post

"Failed to mount image."

*sadface*
Bummer!
post #8310 of 16368
Im in charlotte nc and heading there after work to look. I appreciate the feedback guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread