or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 279

post #8341 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice12texas View Post

I got a Oppo-103. I recently bought a 4 pack of WWII Blu-Ray's (Patton; The Longest Day, Tora, Tora, Tora and The Sand Pebbles). They are from 20th Century Fox. Three of them play fine. One of them won't load. It just goes to chapter 1 and counts to 6 and stops. Screen is blank. My firmware is up to date and I even cleared out the Persistent Storage and turned off the BDLive....nada! Thinking it was the blu-ray, I returned it. The store plopped it in their player and it played! They agreed to give me another brand new 4 pack. I went home and the same blu-ray STILL won't play so I know it isn't the disk!!! It's driving me nuts!!! HELP! I have 100 blu-ray's and this is the only disk that does this!

Anybody have an issue like this?

Which disc is it?

Are you rebooting the player after clearing Persistent Storage?

New official firmware just appeared; does updating your player make a difference?

If still no good: I don't recall reports about those titles, but get the disc info to OPPO and see what they say.

-Bill
post #8342 of 16361
Its "The Longest Day" disk. The other 3 that are in this pack play flawlessly. Now when you say "reboot" do you mean just turn it off and then back on or is there something else like unplugging it? I have shut it down and back on several times. I even gave up, went to bed and tried it this morning. There was a new update released yesterday. I did the update and verified it by going back in and checking....says "Your Firmware is up to date". Puzzling.......
post #8343 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice12texas View Post

Its "The Longest Day" disk. The other 3 that are in this pack play flawlessly. Now when you say "reboot" do you mean just turn it off and then back on or is there something else like unplugging it? I have shut it down and back on several times. I even gave up, went to bed and tried it this morning. There was a new update released yesterday. I did the update and verified it by going back in and checking....says "Your Firmware is up to date". Puzzling.......

I meant turning the player off and on again.

-Bill
post #8344 of 16361
Yep. Tried that several times.
post #8345 of 16361
The Network function are completely useless after the firmware update.

Even use the Oppo as DMR are impossible after the update. Unfortunately, I am a Brazilian customer and spend around US$ 1,400.00 to buy it due a lot of tax here.

I am very unhappy with the player. Before the update the network are working flawlessly.

I will quit from Oppo.
post #8346 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiosantos View Post

The Network function are completely useless after the firmware update.

Even use the Oppo as DMR are impossible after the update. Unfortunately, I am a Brazilian customer and spend around US$ 1,400.00 to buy it due a lot of tax here.

I am very unhappy with the player. Before the update the network are working flawlessly.

I will quit from Oppo.

You give up too quickly. It was flawless, maybe with a little effort on your part it can be again.

Did you report your difficulty to OPPO support and ask for help?

Did you do the recommended Reset Factory Default after the upgrade?

What is not working? Does Connection Test fail? Is the player not showing proper IP values?

-Bill
post #8347 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You give up too quickly. It was flawless, maybe with a little effort on your part it can be again.

Did you report your difficulty to OPPO support and ask for help?

Did you do the recommended Reset Factory Default after the upgrade?

What is not working? Does Connection Test fail? Is the player not showing proper IP values?

-Bill

Only the Network aren't working. Conectivity test are Ok, Netflix are working even better before the upgrade, I did the Reset Factory Default just after the upgrade.

Take off the Oppo from AC, but nothing bring the network back.

I did sell my BDP-93 and bought this 103 a lot because the networks features, but exactly this are not working as I need.

The Oppo's support was contacted and I am waiting a answer.

Even as DMR the Oppo are not working, although my media server (Wild Media Server) see the Oppo, but when send audio the player begins a loop.

That is not a case of give up too quickly, but this player is very expensive here. A better plug n play operation is expected.

Thanks,

Sergio Santos
post #8348 of 16361
Strange things happened with my copy "The Longest Day". My Oppo-103 is region free, purchased at 220Electronics. When I put disc into player nothing happens. Screen is blank and disc did not start. Then I put this disc into Sonny BDP-S500 (I left my old BD player connected through Yamaha receiver to TV set and projector). Disc started normally. Then I put this disc again into Oppo and this time it started normally. I have no explanation.
post #8349 of 16361
That is unbelievable. Unfortunately I don't have another BD player to try that. Ive turned off and on my Oppo 50 times and no luck.......
post #8350 of 16361
Try to open and close the drive a few times (you don't have to remove the disc, but after opening wait a while). I succeeded to make it play.
post #8351 of 16361
With the official recent firmware my network is doing fine with JR River DLNA pushing 88khz 24 bit music from my server. Netflix worked the 2nd time and thereafter. Picassa worked as well. No changes in HDMI 1 sharpness.

After resetting defaults I turned off and remove power. I typically remove power every evening as my pre pro triggers a Panamax that cuts power to my amps and the Oppo. Each power cycle the network connections are re established in less than a minute.
post #8352 of 16361
I did the first update of my Oppo 103 this morning. There seems to be 2 downloads (firmware and BD loader) and then 2 updates (firmware and BD loader). It turns off after the update. When I turned it back on, it wanted me to reset to factory defaults but the default was "Skip this Step". I chose the default and didn't reset to factory defaults. Does anyone recommend or think that it's necessary to reset to factory defaults?
post #8353 of 16361
I reset to factory defaults and haven't seen any issues. I just had to re-enter my wireless code. I didn't have many customizations anyway. Most of my settings were on Auto or default anyway.
post #8354 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Congratulations! I know I'm loving mine and learning more about it all the time. Tonight I'm going to try my first USB MKV movie to see how it works...

Started to watch a BD movie when converting to MKV and these are my observations:

Original BD: Audio indicated on AVR is "DTS HD Master"
MKV: Audio indicated on AVR is "DTS Surround"

Subtitles work fine on original BD but don't work at all when converted to MKV. I think I will continue to backup to disk rather than MKV because I use subtitles a lot especially when background music is loud or when actors have strong accents.

I was pleasantly surprise by the Oppo for another reason though. This is the first player I've had that does Vudu 3D. I've had to watch from a TV prior to buying this player which didn't have good audio because of having to use TV speakers.
post #8355 of 16361
Thanks very much for providing an update on this !

I'll have to look into ripping BDs a bit more, as I obviously want the DTS MA audio..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Started to watch a BD movie when converting to MKV and these are my observations:

Original BD: Audio indicated on AVR is "DTS HD Master"
MKV: Audio indicated on AVR is "DTS Surround"

Subtitles work fine on original BD but don't work at all when converted to MKV. I think I will continue to backup to disk rather than MKV because I use subtitles a lot especially when background music is loud or when actors have strong accents.

I was pleasantly surprise by the Oppo for another reason though. This is the first player I've had that does Vudu 3D. I've had to watch from a TV prior to buying this player which didn't have good audio because of having to use TV speakers.
post #8356 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiosantos View Post

The Network function are completely useless after the firmware update.

Even use the Oppo as DMR are impossible after the update. Unfortunately, I am a Brazilian customer and spend around US$ 1,400.00 to buy it due a lot of tax here.

I am very unhappy with the player. Before the update the network are working flawlessly.

I will quit from Oppo.
try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
post #8357 of 16361
I don't want to surf the entire thread to look for a relatively simple question... so any help would be appreciated.

I know the 103/105 will upscale to 4k... will they also play newly released (whenever that is) native 4k content?

is the 105 really worth twice the price of the 103?

thanks
post #8358 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I don't want to surf the entire thread to look for a relatively simple question... so any help would be appreciated.

I know the 103/105 will upscale to 4k... will they also play newly released (whenever that is) native 4k content?

is the 105 really worth twice the price of the 103?

thanks

The 105 is all about audio, so it depends if that's important to you..
post #8359 of 16361
Hi,

No worries. Network working again.

I changed the connection from Ethernet to wireless, I did make the connection test, ok, then back to Ethernet again, I tested again, then the network back to work.

Thanks,

Sergio Santos
post #8360 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Subtitles work fine on original BD but don't work at all when converted to MKV. I think I will continue to backup to disk rather than MKV because I use subtitles a lot especially when background music is loud or when actors have strong accents.

 

PGS subtitles don't work on MKV. You'll have to convert them to SRT or VOB before muxing.

post #8361 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Subtitles work fine on original BD but don't work at all when converted to MKV. I think I will continue to backup to disk rather than MKV because I use subtitles a lot especially when background music is loud or when actors have strong accents.

Therefore I have changed from MKV/M2TS to AVCHD. It supports PGS-subtitles and chapters.
post #8362 of 16361
For the playlist feature has anyone figured out how to create more than one? When I add to "Playlist" it just adds songs to the one "default" playlist? Can I create multiple playlist with unique names? Am I missing something?

Thanks guys!!
post #8363 of 16361
Is there a stand alone iphone /ipad app coming
post #8364 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can't give up after trying just one thing. This is home networking.

The DLNA servers people have reported using are listed in the FAQ: What are some DLNA servers?

Most everyone reports immediate success with Twonky. It has a free trial and is not expensive if you want to keep it.

-Bill


Try mezzmo, it is one of the best DLNA servers I have used.
post #8365 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiosantos View Post

Only the Network aren't working. Conectivity test are Ok, Netflix are working even better before the upgrade, I did the Reset Factory Default just after the upgrade.

Take off the Oppo from AC, but nothing bring the network back.

I did sell my BDP-93 and bought this 103 a lot because the networks features, but exactly this are not working as I need.

The Oppo's support was contacted and I am waiting a answer.

Even as DMR the Oppo are not working, although my media server (Wild Media Server) see the Oppo, but when send audio the player begins a loop.

That is not a case of give up too quickly, but this player is very expensive here. A better plug n play operation is expected.

Thanks,

Sergio Santos

Another thing to try while waiting for OPPO's response is to restart your DLNA server that's driving that DMR functionality. Sometimes these servers get confused if the configuration of the player changes and they have not noticed.

Also try the reverse operation -- that is, see if you can browse the DLNA server using the media files browser user interface in the OPPO.

Odds are there's a simple fix here. You just haven't found it yet.
--Bob
post #8366 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I did the first update of my Oppo 103 this morning. There seems to be 2 downloads (firmware and BD loader) and then 2 updates (firmware and BD loader). It turns off after the update. When I turned it back on, it wanted me to reset to factory defaults but the default was "Skip this Step". I chose the default and didn't reset to factory defaults. Does anyone recommend or think that it's necessary to reset to factory defaults?

With this particular firmware update, the Reset really *IS* necessary.

Go to Setup > Device Setup > Reset and do it there, then power cycle the player and re-enter your personal settings.
--Bob
post #8367 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Is there a stand alone iphone /ipad app coming

OPPO says yes, but no date specified, and no feature set specified. So we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob
post #8368 of 16361
Couple of questions guys:
I'm still having lip sync issues, should I ajust it from the player or the A/V R, or both?
And what should I set it on?
Second:the mod kit stopped working even though I didn't used it a lot ! What should I do here?
I don't think they'll respond if Ie-mailed them so should I remove it or just leave it there?
post #8369 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I don't want to surf the entire thread to look for a relatively simple question... so any help would be appreciated.

I know the 103/105 will upscale to 4k... will they also play newly released (whenever that is) native 4k content?

is the 105 really worth twice the price of the 103?

thanks

The 103/105 do not play "native" 4K content -- not even photos. They CAN upscale non-4K content to 4K output.

It is not clear whether that will change when real 4K content becomes available at some point.
--Bob
post #8370 of 16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Is there a stand alone iphone /ipad app coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OPPO says yes, but no date specified, and no feature set specified. So we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob

I guess Bob forgot about this App, been using it for a while now. He probably meant that they haven't published the IP protocol yet. Either that or one of his clones went rogue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread