or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 281

post #8401 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post


+1 on the run time. But mine shows the resolution. But the runtime is always 0:00:00

 

I just updated, reset factory defaults, re-input my settings, and my player shows both resolution and runtime properly. These are MKV files browsed through an SMB share from Win 7x64.

 

Separately, I also wanted to note that this update fixed the issue of YouTube forgetting paired devices and accounts across restarts. Furthermore, I had some MKVs with bad headers (I think - VLC would take forever to seek, and OPPO wouldn't seek period, but the new VLC update fixed its own problems) and now those MKVs play and seek absolutely fine on OPPO. I'm super happy with this update so far.

 

Also, I've used pav56's program and it works wonderfully.

post #8402 of 16418
Just did upgrade and the audio sync is worse than it was running directv HR-34/700 in and Pioneer SC-05 receiver using HDMI 1. Was hoping this would correct it. I tried A/V sync but couldn't correct it. Tried HDMI 2 and was off also. Both start getting off sync after about 5-7 minutes of viewing and just gets worse. First 5 minutes is good.
Edited by thatsgreat - 5/4/13 at 6:21pm
post #8403 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiosantos View Post

Hi,

That is great! This firmware brought compatibility with MKV MVC 3D, although without subtitles. Now I can see 3D DB movies backup'ed with MakeMKV.

Sergio Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

I just updated, reset factory defaults, re-input my settings, and my player shows both resolution and runtime properly. These are MKV files browsed through an SMB share from Win 7x64.

Separately, I also wanted to note that this update fixed the issue of YouTube forgetting paired devices and accounts across restarts. Furthermore, I had some MKVs with bad headers (I think - VLC would take forever to seek, and OPPO wouldn't seek period, but the new VLC update fixed its own problems) and now those MKVs play and seek absolutely fine on OPPO. I'm super happy with this update so far.

Also, I've used pav56's program and it works wonderfully.

Nice, that's great news.

This update didn't take any functionality away from playing MKV files in any way right ?

I just hooked up my new 103, might do the update later tonight..
post #8404 of 16418
First time posting in this thread.

I've only been an oppo (103) owner for a couple of weeks now after upgrading from an LGBD390. Video processing from the 390 was IMO pretty top-o-the line. Load times were right there as well.

But you know, after implementing the 103 into my system (PN64D8000, Onk 807, two Emo amps, PolkAudio RTiA line and dual Empires), I'm digging the 103 thinking, yeah, this is a cool addition!

Then disaster strikes, my 807 bites the dust, goes no audio. Two days with no speaker action having to connect my bluray player straight to the TV, yay, twin 10 watt speakers!!

So, as I'm disconnecting the AVR for boxing and shipping for repairs I get the big mental download, hey, my 103 has skills that my 390 didn't. Interconnects from the amp straight into the rear of the 103, menu options for speaker configuration, distance, decibel levels, hertz settings......DANG, I'm loving the blu ray player.......who needs an AVR???? Okay, maybe I do, but, this oppo is definitely earning it's pay right now.

So maybe the BRP doesn't have all the tweak features of my AVR but man, I'm not complaining one bit, this is awesome, my weekend is turning out better than I expected.

I highly recommend this player smile.gif
post #8405 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

I just updated, reset factory defaults, re-input my settings, and my player shows both resolution and runtime properly. These are MKV files browsed through an SMB share from Win 7x64.
That's interesting that you have no problem, ckronengold has no run-time but has the resolution, and I don't have either (I did the update-reset-re-input thing as well). Mine are a mix of MKVs, MOVs, and MP4s browsed from a WD TV Live Hub through, well, whatever it uses (I didn't install anything special).
post #8406 of 16418
I just got my Oppo 103. Really impressive build quality, even better looking than I expected. First thing i wanted to test is the Dlna streaming of mvk with hd tracks. Check. One thing though is that I think that when the bitrate is around 35Mbps, it sometimes skip frames. My guess is that It pushes the limit of my wifi connection. One option i am contemplating to get a faster and more reliable connection is changing the included usb wifi dongle for a Asus USB-N66 adapter that would allow me to benefit from 5 Ghz band. Does anyone have a similar setup and could give feedback on the performance result?

thanks
post #8407 of 16418
Can somebody tell me if the oppo still plays sacd-r discs after the official firmware? I know that it didn't after the beta.
post #8408 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I just tried my copy and the same happened hangs at 00006 but it plays fine on my BDP-83 hope there is a fix for this because it was playable when i first got the player.

Try to open and close the tray a few times without switching off. After opening wait a while before closing (10 seconds). I succeeded to make it play. I repeated the same process several times and it works. I have no explanation.
post #8409 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post


That's interesting that you have no problem, ckronengold has no run-time but has the resolution, and I don't have either (I did the update-reset-re-input thing as well). Mine are a mix of MKVs, MOVs, and MP4s browsed from a WD TV Live Hub through, well, whatever it uses (I didn't install anything special).

 

Yeah, considering the variety of results we're getting, I'm not so sure it's a player issue or perhaps a header issue in different MKV files?

post #8410 of 16418
Downloaded the new official firmware tonight and I am very happy so far. It has fixed the following 2 problems:

1. Java based disc menus not appearing when turning on the player with a disc already in the tray. Previously these menus would not appear on many discs if the player was network connected and set to Energy Efficient mode. I have tried 3 "problem" discs and all work perfectly. Very nice.

2. My 2 Shout Factory discs (They Live and Halloween II) now have disc menus that respond much quicker. The menus would delay between remote button presses for several seconds. There is still a little bit of lag on occasion but it is negligible.

I also compared HDMI1 Sharpness 0 to Sharpness +1. It may be my poor eyes but the differences do not appear to be as great as they once were. I still prefer Sharpness +1 but Sharpness +0 does not appear as soft. Is anyone else seeing this?

I wonder if the Total Recall (2012) disc still has the audio dropout issue (I know this is a disc issue and not an Oppo issue).......
UPDATE: I tested the Total Recall (2012) disc and it now plays without audio dropouts when using Bitstream versus LPCM. Really liking this firmware upgrade.
Edited by cdittmer - 5/5/13 at 2:35am
post #8411 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde View Post

Can somebody tell me if the oppo still plays sacd-r discs after the official firmware? I know that it didn't after the beta.

Just checked this with latest official firmware. BDP-103 says "Unknown disc". So, SACD-R is history...
post #8412 of 16418
Basic question from a newbie to the 103 (first night..).

I have the 103 connected to my AVR via HDMI Out 1, my AVR is in Direct Mode for video (direct is no processing). As BDs don't really need any processing, for the video output selection for the 103, should I be selecting Source Direct for best PQ results ?

Thx !
post #8413 of 16418

has any owner of a 103 bought at 220-electronics  installed the latest firmware and checked if "region free" still works well ?

post #8414 of 16418
Hi,

My first post to this thread. I have had my 103 for awhile and have had some issues. Mostly audio sync and Netflix. So I was happy to see the Netflix response was addressed in the latest firmware. I downloaded and installed the firmware and even did the system reset. The first time I tried Netflix, It played the first movie ok but when I stopped that one and started the next one, it froze. I was a little surprised. It appeared nothing had changed. So before calling Oppo, I did a power reset for 30 secs.

It is now working like a champ.

You may have to do this after an upgrade to get things rolling.

Cadillacjack
post #8415 of 16418
Is anyone else rolling with HDMI1 with sharpness at +2?

There isn't as big a jump between +1 and +2 as there is from 0 to +1, but it looks a little sharper without (to me) much noticeable downside. I tried it yesterday with several different blu-rays, and I'm really liking it. I'm noticing what looks like a lot more fine detail on clothing, walls...anything with texture or intricate artwork looks perfect now. I'm sure some sticklers for accuracy will scoff at the idea, but I say give it a try. After all, it only takes a few seconds to set it back if you find you don't like it.
post #8416 of 16418
Bummer...

No new firmware for us European Oppo owners: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/bdp-103-105eu/
post #8417 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Is anyone else rolling with HDMI1 with sharpness at +2?

There isn't as big a jump between +1 and +2 as there is from 0 to +1, but it looks a little sharper without (to me) much noticeable downside. I tried it yesterday with several different blu-rays, and I'm really liking it. I'm noticing what looks like a lot more fine detail on clothing, walls...anything with texture or intricate artwork looks perfect now. I'm sure some sticklers for accuracy will scoff at the idea, but I say give it a try. After all, it only takes a few seconds to set it back if you find you don't like it.

I have it set on +2 and I love the detail,even though my TV is a 7 year old LCD.
post #8418 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

Yeah, considering the variety of results we're getting, I'm not so sure it's a player issue or perhaps a header issue in different MKV files?
I'm not getting the information on any of my files, and I used to get it on all of them...I'm pretty sure the change coincided with the update, since I often check the runtime while I'm selecting the file I want to play.

By the way, the runtime shows perfectly while playing it.

I just remembered, there used to be a problem where the runtime would be correct in the file list, but while playing it it only showed the runtime of the first chapter. I haven't checked to see if the latter still happens...
post #8419 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Basic question from a newbie to the 103 (first night..).

I have the 103 connected to my AVR via HDMI Out 1, my AVR is in Direct Mode for video (direct is no processing). As BDs don't really need any processing, for the video output selection for the 103, should I be selecting Source Direct for best PQ results ?

Thx !

It would be best for you to compare the results yourself. Should be minimal differences for Blu-ray.

Our general advice is that Source Direct is only for people who are intimately familiar with the video processing characteristics of the other devices down the chain.

-Bill
post #8420 of 16418
1st off, sorry about posting new threads, i'll keep it in this forum :-)

Shame about not being able to select which apps you want running on the oppo 103, being an Auz version, not all of the apps work here! it would be nice to remove them...

Also, I updated the firmware to the latest version, before i could connect and keep connection with the wireless adapter, now after upgrading, i can connect but it wont keep connection?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

TC
post #8421 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by splud View Post

Also, I updated the firmware to the latest version, before i could connect and keep connection with the wireless adapter, now after upgrading, i can connect but it wont keep connection?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

TC

Did you do the Reset Factory Default after the upgrade?

Someone reported that switching Setup to wired and back to wireless fixed some problems.

-Bill
post #8422 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGauthier View Post

I just got my Oppo 103. Really impressive build quality, even better looking than I expected. First thing i wanted to test is the Dlna streaming of mvk with hd tracks. Check. One thing though is that I think that when the bitrate is around 35Mbps, it sometimes skip frames. My guess is that It pushes the limit of my wifi connection. One option i am contemplating to get a faster and more reliable connection is changing the included usb wifi dongle for a Asus USB-N66 adapter that would allow me to benefit from 5 Ghz band. Does anyone have a similar setup and could give feedback on the performance result?

thanks

Issues with HD video plus HD audio are the norm when streaming via wireless networks. It actually sounds like you have a pretty good connection. Is a wired connection not an option? If not, moving the Oppo dongle around is your best bet, and using the USB extension for the dongle if you're not already. If you have an Android phone with wireless, I highly recommend an app called "WiFi Analyzer" to check out your wireless network. There are other similar tools for iOS too. Find the best channel and receiver location for your HT location using such a tool. Small changes can make a big difference. Odds are good that you have at least a dozen competing wireless networks on the 2.4 band.

Bottom line: wireless networks rarely offer trouble-free performance when streaming HD video such as BD rips.
post #8423 of 16418
Everything seems to be working here and thank god my region free mod still works.
post #8424 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post

What program did you use? I was surprised that the default in MakeMKV was for the DTS track, not the DTS-HD track.

MakeMKV, in evaluation mode. Will probably not buy since they want $50.00...
post #8425 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Downloaded the new official firmware tonight and I am very happy so far. It has fixed the following 2 problems:



I wonder if the Total Recall (2012) disc still has the audio dropout issue (I know this is a disc issue and not an Oppo issue).......
UPDATE: I tested the Total Recall (2012) disc and it now plays without audio dropouts when using Bitstream versus LPCM. Really liking this firmware upgrade.

excellent news.

Jacob
post #8426 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Downloaded the new official firmware tonight and I am very happy so far. It has fixed the following 2 problems:

.......
UPDATE: I tested the Total Recall (2012) disc and it now plays without audio dropouts when using Bitstream versus LPCM. Really liking this firmware upgrade.

I finally did a factory reset without accounts and then again another factory reset with accounts and unplugged for a few seconds. I'm now having problems with Netflix that I didn't have before the update. This is very upsetting since I've never had to perform so many steps after an update as I've had to do with the Oppo. I hope all their updates don't make us go through so many re-do's afterwards. Still trying to decide whether to keep or return the 103...
post #8427 of 16418
I don't suppose VUDU has been updated with subtitles in this latest firmware revision, has it?
post #8428 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonda View Post

Try to open and close the tray a few times without switching off. After opening wait a while before closing (10 seconds). I succeeded to make it play. I repeated the same process several times and it works. I have no explanation.

That did not work for me it still hangs at chapter 1 with counter 0000006.
I submitted an email to OPPO .
post #8429 of 16418
Sounds good. Does your experience relate to the latest official fw release (issued a few days ago) or its preceding beta release? Which multiregion mod do you have? That from JVB Digital?
post #8430 of 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaKnowTech View Post

Everything seems to be working here and thank god my region free mod still works.

Sounds good. Does your experience relate to the latest official fw release (issued a few days ago) or its preceding beta release? Which multiregion mod do you have? That from JVB Digital?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread