or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mini ITX htpc new build help (case talk again)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mini ITX htpc new build help (case talk again)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I know this comes up from time to time but for my third htpc, I want to build a silent, cool looking case to sit next to my integrated amp. I've looked at case threads over the last couple of weeks and really like the look of this:

http://www.hd-plex.com/H3.SODD.html#tabs

Unfortunately, it's out os stock and there's no telling how long it will take to get one of these cases. Does anyone have any advice on alternate cases that might look similar and not cost an absolute fotune (like the A-Tech fabrication cases)? I'm willing to shell out up to $300 for the case and heatsink.

Also, any parts help would be appreciated. I'll use an ssd and probably don't need an optical drive. Media is on a server.
post #2 of 12
Antec ISK 110. Be forewarned though, there are no upgrades for it. You can't drop it an expansion card. I used it for my first HTPC build and its very small. For pure playback, its perfect.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the suggestion. That's the right size, but it's a case that is built for a use with a fan. I'm really looking to make this thing silent and was looking for a case with a heatsink system. I guess maybe there just aren't that many options.
post #4 of 12
I do have the HD-Plex H3 and like it a lot.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Looks great, feel like selling it? I guess I'll just wait till they become available again.
post #6 of 12
One of the Streacom fanless cases might be to your liking: http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/Streacom-Chassis_c53.htm
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Yeah, those look great. I'm going to look into getting one of these. Thanks!
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK1967 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the right size, but it's a case that is built for a use with a fan. I'm really looking to make this thing silent and was looking for a case with a heatsink system. I guess maybe there just aren't that many options.

What fan? Where? The ISK 110 has no room for any fans or expansion cards. It only has open mesh on the top.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

What fan? Where? The ISK 110 has no room for any fans or expansion cards. It only has open mesh on the top.

The CPU fan. I get the impression he's looking for a case with an integrated fanless heatsink.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
OK, I ordered this... http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-FC5-OD-Silver-Slim-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-FC5-OD-S.htm

It's their FC5 case, it gives me some flexibility on the mobo and still looks cool..

Thanks again for the help.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK1967 View Post

OK, I ordered this... http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-FC5-OD-Silver-Slim-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-FC5-OD-S.htm
It's their FC5 case, it gives me some flexibility on the mobo and still looks cool..
Thanks again for the help.

why not get the updated fc5-od evo?
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Sorry, just saw this. Mostly because it's got a 6 tube heat sink and when I talked to the guy on the phone he said it would work fine, plus it's cheaper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mini ITX htpc new build help (case talk again)