or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 61

post #1801 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Definitely for Sony, not sure about JVC. I wasn't aware of the return policy, but didn't need to use it, plus the discount I received was better than those places that have 30 day policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

They are authorized resellers of every brand AFIK, definitely JVC. If not every brand, the main brands anyhow.

We are an authorized dealer for all of the brands that we sell.

anm, I sent you a link. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #1802 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

can someone please point me to a great deal, from a reputed seller?

I would definitely call Mike at AVS. I'm currently working with him to purchase the Sony Projector, a screen and possibly a couple of other things. He has been very responsive with lots of questions I've thrown at him.
post #1803 of 3345
Six years ago I built a home theater in my basement, here are the details:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/959871/spacesaver-theater-is-done

I have a 110" diagonal SMX acoustically transparent screen with a Sanyo Z5 projector that is 6 years old. My Sanyo just bit the dust so I ordered a Sony VPL-HW50ES through AVScience. I should have the new projector in about two weeks. I believe the gain on the SMX screen is 1.16.

How big a step up from my 720p Z5 will the Sony be? Most of my viewing is Blu-ray discs. My theater is completely light controlled and very dark when the lights go down.
post #1804 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post


How big a step up from my 720p Z5 will theSony be? Most of my viewing is Blu-ray discs. My theater is completely light controlled and very dark when the lights go down.
I would think a big leap
post #1805 of 3345
Torn between a sony 50ES vs JVC 4810 right now. Wondering what advantage a motorized lens with memory give - once a screen and projector is setup.

I am a little confused on how does the lens memory thing work?
Let us say I have a 16:9 screen. Can I use lens memory to watch a 2.35:1 movie on a 16:9 screen, and still use the full width, wihout the top/ bottom bars? Without using an anamorphic lens?
post #1806 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

Torn between a sony 50ES vs JVC 4810 right now. Wondering what advantage a motorized lens with memory give - once a screen and projector is setup.

I am a little confused on how does the lens memory thing work?
Let us say I have a 16:9 screen. Can I use lens memory to watch a 2.35:1 movie on a 16:9 screen, and still use the full width, wihout the top/ bottom bars? Without using an anamorphic lens?
Yes and no. Lens memory DOES let you switch between 2.35 and 16x9 "modes" but a 2.35 movie will always have black bars on a 16x9 screen. You would need a 2.35 screen to get rid of the top and bottom bars. However, 16x9 movies would have side bars, but those are a little less distracting and are easier to mask.

The Sony works the same way, but its manual instead of automatic.
post #1807 of 3345
The lens memory feature is for those that initially set up a 2.35 screen. It automatically zooms and reshifts the image to fill the screen on 2.35 content. This is way easier than manually zooming, shifting and refocusing. By zooming, the top and bottom bars are now projected off the screen area. Some people use this method for their 2.35 screens vs using an A lens.

16:9 will still have letter box on the sides. If you are going with a 16:9 screen this feature is useless for you.
post #1808 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomdaf View Post

By zooming, the top and bottom bars are now projected off the screen area. Some people use this method for their 2.35 screens vs using an A lens.

So if I open my motorized screen to a lesser height, and just let black bars projected off the screen area, will it give a good pseudo 2.35 effect? Wall behind the screen has a fairly dark wall paper.
post #1809 of 3345
Sony seems like a better option than JVC 4810 on paper - as I am not sure how motorized focus and zoom will be of help to me. Better 3D performance, silent performance. And about 1k cheaper.
Based on my room description, with white ceiling, very dark behind the screen wall, dark rug, one dark wine colored side wall, one white side wall, 12 ft screen to PJ and screen to seat, and some ambient light leak from gaps under the door and from a window (covered by blinds) above the stairs.. Will JVC fail miserably? I can further control ambient light during day, when I am more likely to watch sports.
post #1810 of 3345
Is anyone has a ready stock Sony HW50ES and can overnight deliver it, please feel free to PM me.
post #1811 of 3345
Quote:
The lens memory feature is for those that initially set up a 2.35 screen. It automatically zooms and reshifts the image to fill the screen on 2.35 content. This is way easier than manually zooming, shifting and refocusing. By zooming, the top and bottom bars are now projected off the screen area. Some people use this method for their 2.35 screens vs using an A lens.

Power zoom and focus can be quite handy. I use power zoom on my 2 screens, to zoom out on my somewhat wider 2.35:1 screen. It could even come in handy with an A lens, if you like to move the lens out of the way for 16:9.
post #1812 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

My last digits are in the very low 1000 range. I just got it from AVS and they apparently run through their HW50 inventory quickly. No big deal either way, my HW50 has been faultless as best as I can tell.

Just got mine and my serial number is 1101025 so this seems specific to the US if I go by yours and mine compared to what he has.
post #1813 of 3345
Hello

In my country we dont have much screen companies. I have only 2 choices. I would like to ask you will I have a problem with this situation about fL in the pic with elite screen?

fL with elite 1.1 white screen 24fL AND its cheaper than grandview.

fL with grandview 1.0 white screen 21fL

Room has dark grey walls and ceiling. Projector is sony HW50ES and viewing distance from screen to my eyes is 12 feet.

1st situation



and 2nd situation with grandview



Kind Regards

Direct link to images: http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/204547/

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/204548/
post #1814 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

Six years ago I built a home theater in my basement, here are the details:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/959871/spacesaver-theater-is-done

I have a 110" diagonal SMX acoustically transparent screen with a Sanyo Z5 projector that is 6 years old. My Sanyo just bit the dust so I ordered a Sony VPL-HW50ES through AVScience. I should have the new projector in about two weeks. I believe the gain on the SMX screen is 1.16.

How big a step up from my 720p Z5 will the Sony be? Most of my viewing is Blu-ray discs. My theater is completely light controlled and very dark when the lights go down.

I found the step up to be quite large. I was coming from a Sanyo Z4 (very similar to Z5) to the Sony HW50. First and foremost is the jump to full 1080p (finally). The pixel fill on the Sony is incredible. So close together I have to get within 3-4ft of the 120" screen to see even a hint of pixel gap, and then only on a white image (I could see it easily with the Z4 from 10ft). The brightness is leaps and bounds higher than the Z5. Contrast and black level is superior. I could go on...

You will love the step, nay, jump up in almost all areas!
Edited by karcs - 5/9/13 at 2:35pm
post #1815 of 3345
That is great to hear. I thought I might see a sizable difference between a 6 year old projector and a new one. I am glad I purchased the Sony, it has gotten great reviews, I am hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of it. My seating is 11 feet from the projection screen and you are correct, even at that distrance I can see pixel structure. I think you are correct, the light output on the Sony should best the Z5 by a noticeable margin.

Did you have your Sony professionally calibrated?
post #1816 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

That is great to hear. I thought I might see a sizable difference between a 6 year old projector and a new one. I am glad I purchased the Sony, it has gotten great reviews, I am hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of it. My seating is 11 feet from the projection screen and you are correct, even at that distrance I can see pixel structure. I think you are correct, the light output on the Sony should best the Z5 by a noticeable margin.

Did you have your Sony professionally calibrated?

The great thing about the Sony is the excellent colours OOTB.

I tried the projectorreview calibration and it looks great on my matte white screen.
post #1817 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

Hello

In my country we dont have much screen companies. I have only 2 choices. I would like to ask you will I have a problem with this situation about fL in the pic with elite screen?

fL with elite 1.1 white screen 24fL AND its cheaper than grandview.

fL with grandview 1.0 white screen 21fL

Room has dark grey walls and ceiling. Projector is sony HW50ES and viewing distance from screen to my eyes is 12 feet.

The manufacturers of the screens do not report the exact gain of the screen correctly in many cases, that 1.1 gain screen could be 1.0 (not sure, it might still be 1.1).

With that small of a screen, you will have plenty of brightness regardless. So you will be fine.

Furthermore, you cannot go by what the PJC calculator reports for fL, it uses random numbers from different projector modes and it is grossly inaccurate. I have written a calculator in my signature that gives a more accurate view of brightness, THOUGH it does not have the Sony hw50 model in it. However, a new version is due out this weekend I hope if all plans come together, which will include the Sony hw50es. You can try it out after I release it, or you can use my current calculator and use the Sony hw30 and change lumens to 1000, which is about the best-mode lumens of the Sony hw50es in lamp high.
post #1818 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

Six years ago I built a home theater in my basement, here are the details:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/959871/spacesaver-theater-is-done

I have a 110" diagonal SMX acoustically transparent screen with a Sanyo Z5 projector that is 6 years old. My Sanyo just bit the dust so I ordered a Sony VPL-HW50ES through AVScience. I should have the new projector in about two weeks. I believe the gain on the SMX screen is 1.16.

How big a step up from my 720p Z5 will the Sony be? Most of my viewing is Blu-ray discs. My theater is completely light controlled and very dark when the lights go down.

I went from an old Marantz VP-12S3 720p projector. Going to the Sony made a huge difference in terms of resolution, the Sony's virtually inaudible fan, much higher brightness, and the occasional 3D was a bonus.
post #1819 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcs View Post

Agreed, I am still in awe over how quiet it is. Every once in a while I have to put my hand up to the exhaust to make sure it is actually blowing! In low lamp mode, I have to be 1 ft away to really hear it running. All the other little noises in the house are louder! smile.gif

Yes, the quietness of the projector is a huge asset. It makes having good amps, processors, and speakers even more valuable since you enjoy their great sound much more when not masked by fan noise.
post #1820 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I went from an old Marantz VP-12S3 720p projector. Going to the Sony made a huge difference in terms of resolution, the Sony's virtually inaudible fan, much higher brightness, and the occasional 3D was a bonus.

I went from an Epson 1080UB. A vast improvement in clarity, sharpness and brightness. It too was much quieter than the Epson.
post #1821 of 3345
1st timer here for projector!

I've decided to get the HW50ES, now the harder part of selecting a screen.
I'm figuring 100-110" for 12 foot projector distance and around 11ish foot seating distance. I have the ability to be cave dark with no windows in basement, but walls and ceiling are light colored(wife....).
I've looked at Seymour Non-AT Glacier White and Carada Cinema White both just under 110" and both under $1K for fixed framed screen. Is there a known screen that works best with this projector in the $1K range for fixed framed screen and nonAT?

I did just come across the ability to get a Black Diamond 92" (smaller than wanted) for $1K, but also just .8 gain... I do want to use 3D so thinking .8 not good right? Any other screens worth looking at?

Thanks!
post #1822 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

That is great to hear. I thought I might see a sizable difference between a 6 year old projector and a new one. I am glad I purchased the Sony, it has gotten great reviews, I am hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of it. My seating is 11 feet from the projection screen and you are correct, even at that distrance I can see pixel structure. I think you are correct, the light output on the Sony should best the Z5 by a noticeable margin.

Did you have your Sony professionally calibrated?

No professional calibration for me. I have a calibration disc and used the downloaded AVCHD calibration disc from AVSForums. For me it looks great out of the box, like all the reviewers have said. And of the test patterns I have for color, and using color filters, it looks perfect. First time those color filters worked like the calibration disc told me they should. So that is another huge bonus with this projector!

Funny, when I did start adjusting a few things for contrast, brightness, and color, they started failing the test patterns... so the default settings were already good for me and my limited non-professional tools smile.gif

-- I should add that I used Cinema 1 for my tests and have not really had a need to use any other setting yet.
post #1823 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasths View Post

1st timer here for projector!

I've decided to get the HW50ES, now the harder part of selecting a screen.
I'm figuring 100-110" for 12 foot projector distance and around 11ish foot seating distance. I have the ability to be cave dark with no windows in basement, but walls and ceiling are light colored(wife....).
I've looked at Seymour Non-AT Glacier White and Carada Cinema White both just under 110" and both under $1K for fixed framed screen. Is there a known screen that works best with this projector in the $1K range for fixed framed screen and nonAT?

I did just come across the ability to get a Black Diamond 92" (smaller than wanted) for $1K, but also just .8 gain... I do want to use 3D so thinking .8 not good right? Any other screens worth looking at?

Thanks!

The Sony will do a decent job of 3D on a 92" .8 gain screen.
Edited by AV Science Sales 5 - 5/11/13 at 3:16pm
Reply
Reply
post #1824 of 3345
Great thanks, ill try the black diamond seems to good of discount to pass up. Ill be calling you Monday Mike. Thanks
post #1825 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasths View Post

1st timer here for projector!

I've decided to get the HW50ES, now the harder part of selecting a screen.
I'm figuring 100-110" for 12 foot projector distance and around 11ish foot seating distance. I have the ability to be cave dark with no windows in basement, but walls and ceiling are light colored(wife....).
I've looked at Seymour Non-AT Glacier White and Carada Cinema White both just under 110" and both under $1K for fixed framed screen. Is there a known screen that works best with this projector in the $1K range for fixed framed screen and nonAT?

I did just come across the ability to get a Black Diamond 92" (smaller than wanted) for $1K, but also just .8 gain... I do want to use 3D so thinking .8 not good right? Any other screens worth looking at?

Thanks!


To me 92in is on the small side. I run a 110inch Carada Cinema white and absolutly love it.
post #1826 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildriverx77 View Post

To me 92in is on the small side. I run a 110inch Carada Cinema white and absolutly love it.

That's nice, but it also depends how far back you're sitting and how big the room is.

Heres a pic of my room and a screenshot of Piranha 3D in bluray 2D. User mode low lamp with projector review settings. The picture is a bit brighter in person.
100" Elunevision Reference fixed screen in matte white.



post #1827 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

That is great to hear. I thought I might see a sizable difference between a 6 year old projector and a new one. I am glad I purchased the Sony, it has gotten great reviews, I am hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of it. My seating is 11 feet from the projection screen and you are correct, even at that distrance I can see pixel structure. I think you are correct, the light output on the Sony should best the Z5 by a noticeable margin.

Did you have your Sony professionally calibrated?

Check my earlier posts about calibrations and link. Definitely worth it.
post #1828 of 3345
I've owned this projector for ~ 1 month and can say it has the best looking picture in the house! I'm comparing it to a 6 year old plasma set and a 1 year old LED set.

The added bonus was that I was able to buy from AVS, which sponsors the forum I've visited for many years. Thanks for all your assistance Mike!

Jim
Edited by goldielox - 5/13/13 at 2:42pm
post #1829 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

I've owned this projector for ~ 1 month and can say it has the best looking picture in the house! I'm comparing it to a 6 year old plasma set and a 1 year old LED set.

The added bonus was that I was able to buy from AVS, which sponsors the forum I've visited for many years. Thanks for all your assistance Mike!

Jim

You are welcome. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #1830 of 3345
Does anyone know where to find the Sony PJ1 glasses for less than $100? I can't believe how hard it has been to find these things for even a decent price. Why are the PS3 glasses so much cheaper, and is there any downsides to just buying those instead? I'm fairly happy with the PJ1's, field of view is good, colors seem fairly accurate, and the fit is okay, I only wish the nose piece had a bit of rubber on it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread