or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 65

post #1921 of 3345
Thank you!
post #1922 of 3345
Have any of you guys noticed on full black screen the corners are a little bit lighter? Is this somthing I should be concerned about of it this just part of the tech. I don't notice it when watching a movie OT on a full black screen in a light controlled room. I read some of the jvc lcos projectors can have this as well.
post #1923 of 3345
My JVC has bright corners as well but not distracting and not noticeable while watching. Maybe it's just a Lcos thing?????
post #1924 of 3345
In pitch black scenes I can see ligher-ish corners on my HW-50, but it certainly isn't distracting. I don't think I've ever actually noticed it watching a movie, I think only during text popup screens where everything is all black.

Not a problem IMO.
post #1925 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

In pitch black scenes I can see ligher-ish corners on my HW-50, but it certainly isn't distracting. I don't think I've ever actually noticed it watching a movie, I think only during text popup screens where everything is all black.

Not a problem IMO.

I think it's an artifact of the dynamic iris. It goes away after a second or so, even on full black. I've never noticed it on any content.
Edited by ivanhoek - 5/26/13 at 8:26pm
post #1926 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

I think it's an artifact of the dynamic iris. It goes away after a second or so, even on full black. I've never noticed it on any content.

That isn't an artifact of the dynamic iris. LCOS chips have a notoriously bad reputation for "bright corners". This has to do with how they're manufactured. The issue will vary on a unit to unit basis. Some people luck out and buy a projector with VERY small to no bright corner issue at all. LCOS panels are apparently hard to manufacture perfectly flat. When they aren't flat, the corners bow and light gets reflected more than it should be, hits your screen and is easily seen when the specific chips in your unit have this issue particularly bad.
post #1927 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That isn't an artifact of the dynamic iris. LCOS chips have a notoriously bad reputation for "bright corners". This has to do with how they're manufactured. The issue will vary on a unit to unit basis. Some people luck out and buy a projector with VERY small to no bright corner issue at all. LCOS panels are apparently hard to manufacture perfectly flat. When they aren't flat, the corners bow and light gets reflected more than it should be, hits your screen and is easily seen when the specific chips in your unit have this issue particularly bad.


Thanks for the input, what would you consider a reasonable amount? I only really notice mine on full black the upper left corner is a little brighter then the rest and if I really looked on the darkest scenes I might be able to see the top corner. I don't really find it to much of a problem, the rest of the projector is great panel alignment it great and no dead pixels. How knows what the next one could have.
post #1928 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That isn't an artifact of the dynamic iris. LCOS chips have a notoriously bad reputation for "bright corners". This has to do with how they're manufactured. The issue will vary on a unit to unit basis. Some people luck out and buy a projector with VERY small to no bright corner issue at all. LCOS panels are apparently hard to manufacture perfectly flat. When they aren't flat, the corners bow and light gets reflected more than it should be, hits your screen and is easily seen when the specific chips in your unit have this issue particularly bad.

Ok, nice to know... the good thing is that the brightness doesn't seem to be static for me at least. It goes away in a second or so.. and like i mentioned, I've never noticed it during any content. So I don't see it as a problem.
post #1929 of 3345
following your discussion above,

What blu-rays have you played to test out the HW50es in terms of brightness and blacks. I know the screen will come into play as well. But just in a general sense. You could say these would be your "Test Movie" or "Reference Movie".

Just wanted to see what people use to test out their projectors.

Thanks.
Mitch
post #1930 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj1987 View Post

following your discussion above,

What blu-rays have you played to test out the HW50es in terms of brightness and blacks. I know the screen will come into play as well. But just in a general sense. You could say these would be your "Test Movie" or "Reference Movie".

Just wanted to see what people use to test out their projectors.

Thanks.
Mitch

For blacks/shadow detail, I like the underworld series (any), equilibrium, and event horizon. Prometeus is also good, but I only have it on vudu hdx.
post #1931 of 3345
Let me preface this by saying that I am a complete projector newbie.

I am in process of finishing a family/tv room in my basement and I am playing with the calculator at projectorcentral.com. In order to meet my room specs and screen desire (120" screen 13' throw distance), I had to bump the zoom from the default of 1.25 to 1.4 (still under the maximum for this projector).

Is there any reason these specs would not work? I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct and I am within all the tolerances for this. I'm not sure if there is a "sweet point" in which you want to stay in for zoom on projectors or any other caveats.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
post #1932 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketek View Post

Let me preface this by saying that I am a complete projector newbie.

I am in process of finishing a family/tv room in my basement and I am playing with the calculator at projectorcentral.com. In order to meet my room specs and screen desire (120" screen 13' throw distance), I had to bump the zoom from the default of 1.25 to 1.4 (still under the maximum for this projector).

Is there any reason these specs would not work? I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct and I am within all the tolerances for this. I'm not sure if there is a "sweet point" in which you want to stay in for zoom on projectors or any other caveats.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

13' is within the range for a 120" screen. It is close to minimum throw distance for that screen size. What gain is the screen?
Reply
Reply
post #1933 of 3345
Thanks for the response.

If 120" is on the edge, I have no problem moving to a 110". I picked that screen size kind of randomly. I haven't really looked into gain yet. How does that affect the throw, I thought that had to do with ambient light (again, I'm a newbie)

My main concern is the zoom, didn't know if there was or was not a reason to stay away from the upper zoom range?

Mike
post #1934 of 3345
Finished first ten hours on the projector i reduced the noise by refocusing the projector using disney wow.

Watching life of pi, battle la, avengers, zorax all were great picture quality then watched paperboy and couldnt finish it pq was so bad. Is the projector that sensitive to different bluray quality? Or do i still have more calibrations to do? Thanks!
post #1935 of 3345
The reality is that Paperboy is a low budget movie. The quality of film stock or recording devices can vary from film to film. Yes some BDs are of lower quality. But you also can't expect every film to look like like it was shot on high grade film or with highend 4K digital video cameras.
post #1936 of 3345
Need advice for 3D glasses, compatible with the VPL-HW50ES.
What would be your best choice?
Looking for light frames, and easy for children to wear.

Thank you
post #1937 of 3345
I have a HW50 coming to me, moving from an RS1.

I've tried to wade through this thread, the darblet threads, the mini shootout threads, etc etc.

I'd just like a few opinions on the usefulness of the darblet on the HW50 please?

Thanks !

Larry
post #1938 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Need advice for 3D glasses, compatible with the VPL-HW50ES.
What would be your best choice?
Looking for light frames, and easy for children to wear.

Thank you
Just went through this selection process, and purchased the PS3 3d glasses.
post #1939 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kredmore View Post

Just went through this selection process, and purchased the PS3 3d glasses.

I have a few of those ps3 glasses and i'm very impressed. I think they work better than the glasses that came with the projector. And... can't beat them for $19 each!
post #1940 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by videohot View Post

I have a HW50 coming to me, moving from an RS1.

I've tried to wade through this thread, the darblet threads, the mini shootout threads, etc etc.

I'd just like a few opinions on the usefulness of the darblet on the HW50 please?

Thanks !

Larry

 

This topic has been discussed at length in this thread.  Try having a look through these posts.  FWIW, the Darblet definitely improves my picture quality for all sources albeit with varying degree (which you'll see in the posts I linked).  I own a HW50ES and a 126" 16:9 SE with Enlightor 4k in a light controlled room at about 17' throw and 14' viewing.

post #1941 of 3345
Hi,

Do you test your spare lamp or trust that it will work in a few years, that is depending on usage of your first lamp.
I wonder if Sony will replace the spare lamp after the 3 year warranty is up? Is the 90 day lamp warranty for the first lamp or all new lamps?

Anyone using the S790 blu ray player with their 50es? What are your settings on the S790. I really can't tell any difference with the 4k on or off,
Subtle differences?


One thing I noticed is on the Disney Wow disc, the Pirates demo of the prison scene, I am getting a lot of noise. Is this the way the film is recorded?
The noise is not pleasing at all since it seems like all the pixels are moving around.
post #1942 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

I have a few of those ps3 glasses and i'm very impressed. I think they work better than the glasses that came with the projector. And... can't beat them for $19 each!

Can't beat the price, but I have one set that wont hold a charge correctly. Also, they appear to be discontinued as they aren't anywhere. I'm sure I can find online, but def not as easy to get as they previously were.
post #1943 of 3345
I am still having a hard time deciding what screen to get. Has anybody paired their projector with the Carada Precision Brilliant white or Classic Cinema white screens? What are your opinions of the combo and how light controlled are your rooms.

My room is pitch black day or night, but the walls are a lighter beige/brown color.
post #1944 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

Can't beat the price, but I have one set that wont hold a charge correctly. Also, they appear to be discontinued as they aren't anywhere. I'm sure I can find online, but def not as easy to get as they previously were.

Aren't these the ones you're talking about? Amazon for $18.83 a pop, doesn't seem too hard.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-3D-Glasses/dp/B00562O8U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370053709&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3+glasses
post #1945 of 3345
I noticed today while playing NHL 12 that the bottom 1/3 or so of my screen has a very slight yellow color to it. I tried taking a pick but it does not show up very well. Is this somthing you guys would be concerned about? I'm a little OCD. I have never noticed it while watching a movie. I tried seeing it on l colored slides but its only on white screens like an ice rink.
post #1946 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

I noticed today while playing NHL 12 that the bottom 1/3 or so of my screen has a very slight yellow color to it. I tried taking a pick but it does not show up very well. Is this somthing you guys would be concerned about? I'm a little OCD. I have never noticed it while watching a movie. I tried seeing it on l colored slides but its only on white screens like an ice rink.

Are you sure it's not a reflection from the floor or other surface? maybe the lighting?

Do you see this with the projector off as well?
post #1947 of 3345
I tried using a light to see if it was the screen and I was unable to see it at all.
post #1948 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

I tried using a light to see if it was the screen and I was unable to see it at all.

Well, then I suggest calling Sony. I don't see this phenomena on my setup, so it could be some kind of fault with your projector if the other factors have been ruled out.

Regards,
post #1949 of 3345
Mine does look quite the same. White field uniformity is not the best as is mentioned in at least one of the german online reviews. I guessed it's normal and did not complain to my dealer. Maybe it's related to when it's been built? I have an early model with the buzz in 3D (solved with the external emitter).

Sometimes it's very obvious with an overall white picture like snow scenes or in black and white scenes/movies. Sometimes it's not visible even when I expect it and am looking for it. Most of the time I can ignore it, but when I see it it bothers me.

This and the buzz in 3D with the internal emitter are the only real negatives I have about the projector. Everything else I can live with (optical sharpness, black floor).

I accumulated around 1400 hours already, I watch too much TV. ;-) Bulb dimming becomes a factor in eco mode now, so on my 3.9 meter 21:9 Steward Studiotech G3 screen I start to use the normal mode and 3D starts to get dim. A new bulb is due.
post #1950 of 3345
I googled white field uniformity and hw50es and found three reviews mention uniformity problems on white field. Maybe it's a weakness of this projector. Mines not really noticable and I'm not sure if its worth an exchange.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread