or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 66

post #1951 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

I noticed today while playing NHL 12 that the bottom 1/3 or so of my screen has a very slight yellow color to it. I tried taking a pick but it does not show up very well. Is this somthing you guys would be concerned about? I'm a little OCD. I have never noticed it while watching a movie. I tried seeing it on l colored slides but its only on white screens like an ice rink.

I've seen a number of HW50's this year, this will vary between each sample. I'm sensitive to this because my large HP screen exaggerates the situation. If you think this is slightly bothersome on occasion, you should see the Panasonic 8000.

If you can't see it most regular content, I would try to ignore it since a swap could have issues in other areas like focus uniformity and convergence. The only 3 panel projectors I've seen this year that are near flawless with color uniformity are the JVC's. They are generally very good in this regard.
post #1952 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I've seen a number of HW50's this year, this will vary between each sample. I'm sensitive to this because my large HP screen exaggerates the situation. If you think this is slightly bothersome on occasion, you should see the Panasonic 8000.

If you can't see it most regular content, I would try to ignore it since a swap could have issues in other areas like focus uniformity and convergence. The only 3 panel projectors I've seen this year that are near flawless with color uniformity are the JVC's. They are generally very good in this regard.


From looking at my picture would you say mine looks worst or better then what you have seen? Thanks
post #1953 of 3345
This is how it looks while playing hockey and how I first noticed it.
post #1954 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

From looking at my picture would you say mine looks worst or better then what you have seen? Thanks

That's a little more intense than I recall seeing, one of the first things I usually look at is a full white field to check color uniformity.

if it's bugging you, maybe check with Sony support to see if they are willing to swap it out.
post #1955 of 3345
The last picture I took makes it look worst then in person. I've only had it for a week so im well with in my 30 day return. I tried watching some planet earth the disk pole to pole it's shows a lot of snow and I could not see it. The convergince and focus is near perfect on my projector and no stuck or dead pixels. I'm just worried about getting one that has other problems..... Tough call, the only other thing this one has is very slight light corners on full black but from what I hear its common as well.
post #1956 of 3345
I use 'The Art of Flight' as a reference disk when doing the reviews in the mini-shootout thread. The majority of the film is snow filled mountains, it's a tough bluray for color uniformity. My 142" 2.8HP screen is a magnifying glass for these artifacts.

if everything else is ok, it might be best to leave it alone. It's not likely going to be seen with the majority of viewed content.
post #1957 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I use 'The Art of Flight' as a reference disk when doing the reviews in the mini-shootout thread. The majority of the film is snow filled mountains, it's a tough bluray for color uniformity. My 142" 2.8HP screen is a magnifying glass for these artifacts.

if everything else is ok, it might be best to leave it alone. It's not likely going to be seen with the majority of viewed content.

I watched the first 15 mins of that today and could not spot it, maybe if I paused it and really looked I'd see somthing. Maybe ill watch the rest of it tomorrow. Thanks
post #1958 of 3345
So I can't vouch for the site, but I came across a helluva deal on the PS3 glasses while perusing Slickdeals this AM. http://www.dailysteals.com/ have (2) pair for $20 shipped. Figured that, at $20 for two pair, it was worth a flier.
post #1959 of 3345
Quick question about the external emitter - could I use standard Cat5/Cat6 cable to extend it to the front of my theater so that it points back toward the seating area, or is it a proprietary cabling scheme?
Edited by blipszyc - 6/3/13 at 7:39am
post #1960 of 3345
Quote:
So I can't vouch for the site, but I came across a helluva deal on the PS3 glasses while perusing Slickdeals this AM. http://www.dailysteals.com/ have (2) pair for $20 shipped. Figured that, at $20 for two pair, it was worth a flier.

This does appear to be an awesome deal. However, their ratiings on sellerratings.com is pretty abysmal and they were given a C- by BBB.
post #1961 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

They are on sale right now @ http://www.dailysteals.com/ for $20 for a pair.. I picked up 5 pairs myself..
That's $20 for a 2-Pack...if you picked up 5, you're getting 10 pairs! eek.gif
post #1962 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

This does appear to be an awesome deal. However, their ratiings on sellerratings.com is pretty abysmal and they were given a C- by BBB.
For those on the fence about the company, I did order some touch sensitive gloves a couple years ago and they were delivered without issues. The site has a PayPal option if you're concerned about your CC#.
post #1963 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Quick question about the external emitter - could I use standard Cat5/Cat6 cable to extend it to the front of my theater so that it points back toward the seating area, or is it a proprietary cabling scheme?

Yes, standard ethernet cable will work. Just put it on top of the projector; it's strong enough to bounce the signal off the screen. Mine works great.
post #1964 of 3345
Has anyone tried using an IR repeater instead of an external 3D emitter? I don't see why this wouldn't work and would probably be cheaper as well (especially, if you already have one like me). I was also wondering if it would work if you plugged a cable from the repeater directly into the IR IN jack of the projector. I saw that someone mentioned using a repeater early in this thread, but it didn't get much discussion and I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it.

I can't, since I don't have a projector yet. I ordered one from AVS almost a month ago and they are still waiting for a shipment from Sony. The wait is killing me. I must admit that my patience is waning. Are these projectors in short supply from other dealers as well?
post #1965 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post

Just put it on top of the projector; it's strong enough to bounce the signal off the screen. Mine works great.
The problem I have with bouncing it off the screen is that it interferes with my IR receiver, effectively disabling my remote. I'm hoping that by moving it to the front of the theater and aiming it at my seating position that it won't cause interference anymore.
post #1966 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

Has anyone tried using an IR repeater instead of an external 3D emitter? I don't see why this wouldn't work and would probably be cheaper as well (especially, if you already have one like me). I was also wondering if it would work if you plugged a cable from the repeater directly into the IR IN jack of the projector. I saw that someone mentioned using a repeater early in this thread, but it didn't get much discussion and I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it.
I'm not exactly sure how the repeater would work? The IR IN jack is for remote control commands, not the 3D signal.
post #1967 of 3345
But isn't the "3D signal" simply IR commands?
post #1968 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

Has anyone tried using an IR repeater instead of an external 3D emitter? I don't see why this wouldn't work and would probably be cheaper as well (especially, if you already have one like me). I was also wondering if it would work if you plugged a cable from the repeater directly into the IR IN jack of the projector. I saw that someone mentioned using a repeater early in this thread, but it didn't get much discussion and I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

But isn't the "3D signal" simply IR commands?
I probably should've asked what you're trying to accomplish?

If you are just trying to get the 3D IR signal to a broader area, then perhaps an IR repeater might work. I'd be concerned about any delay in "repeating" the signal as the syncing is critical to a good 3D experience. My use of the external emitter was to get rid of the buzzing sound when in 3D mode. This problem plagued early units and when the external emitter is plugged in, it disables the internal circuitry, thus eliminating the buzz. Others have also complained that the built in blaster was too inconsistent and caused sync problems as well, which might be remedied with a IR Repeater, but I don't think anyone's tried.
post #1969 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

If you are just trying to get the 3D IR signal to a broader area, then perhaps an IR repeater might work.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I've read several people complaining about sync issues when the projector is ceiling mounted (which mine will be) and was thinking that using a repeater might be a remedy for that. I realize this won't do anything about the buzzing issue.

Thanks!

Bruce
post #1970 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I've read several people complaining about sync issues when the projector is ceiling mounted (which mine will be) and was thinking that using a repeater might be a remedy for that. I realize this won't do anything about the buzzing issue.

Thanks!

Bruce
Do you have a repeater in mind that you're thinking of trying? Personally, I think IR is a crappy technology to use for 3D as it requires line of sight. There are too many things going on during a movie, both onscreen and offscreen, to keep one's head perfectly aligned. Pair that with different room sizes, shapes, etc. and you can see why some people have issues and others don't. I actually only use RF (with the MonsterVision 3D kit) and sold my original Sony glasses, but with the deal that was posted above, I'll probably figure out how to get the IR to work well for when I have friends and family over.
post #1971 of 3345
You are symcing the 3D glasses to the projector. you need to use the sync out if you use an external emitter. The IR synce controls the opening and shutting of the glasses.. placing the emitter in the front and aimed at the viewing audience will result in a stonger signal reaching the glasses. that should not be necessary unless your projector is way back from the screen and your audience is quite back from the screen. the 50ES manual tells you the total round trip distance the internal emitter will work (projector to screen and then add screen to audience distance at the farthest audience point).
post #1972 of 3345
I posted this on the 95ES site as well. I am close to finally pulling the trigger on a projector and am trying to decide between the 50ES and 95ES. Thanks very much for your comments!

To all experienced owners....

I am on the fence between the HW50ES and the HW95ES. Mike at AV Science has been extremely patient and helpful with my questions,but I am hoping to get some owners perspectives. I am about 70% gaming and 30% movies. I do have a moderately light controlled room with the ability to cut off all light sources and full blinding shades but my ceiling will remain white. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each from what I have gathered...

95ES Pros:

Better lens
Black levels
Power lens and memory presets
Sharper out of box without RC
Maybe a more natural picutre

95 ES Cons:

lower lumens
needs to be mounted closer to screen
may need higher gain screen
$$


50ES Pros

RC
Brighter
Less money
newer model
Can go with lower gain DIY screen


50ES Cons

no power lens
lens slightly lower quality and dependent on rc

I am fairly new at the video stuff, and have been using a plasma forever.. Am I missing anything? I'd love your opinions on the comparison, especially with the 50ES being a bit newer on the scene.os
post #1973 of 3345
I think your pros and cons are fairly accurate given my research. I opted for the 50, I couldn't justify the cost of the 95, especially given its a model year outdated and I didn't require power lens. If you require power lens then it's probably a good call, although I would have to think a newer model is right around the corner that might incorporate the better lens with RC and power lens.
post #1974 of 3345
Yes, one more detail. My wife likes a small image and she will be using the projector every now and then without me. From a practicality perspective, it would be nice for her to be able to press a button and have the image shrink to her pre-determined memory setting. If I go with the 50ES (am leaning this way) then I would have to manually change the zoom on it so it is a smaller picture for her every time I am done gaming.. Does anyone else here have to manually change the zoom frequently that does not have the power zoom? Is the lens sturdy enough for this? Will it be difficult to zoom in and out manually frequently? I am quite worried that if I go with the 95ES for the convenience of the power lens that I wont be happy with the brightness compared to the 50ES. Does using a higher gain screen to make up for lower lumens degrade picture quality at all?
post #1975 of 3345
First off I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I have read every page and have learned a lot about the projector that I will be getting any day.

I had a question about the throw distance for this projector. I have a 110" Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 gain screen. My preferred seating distance is about 14'. I have done the calculator but do not really understand what it is telling me. Is it saying that I should mount the projector 13.5' from the screen and if I do so it will be in the red on the throw distance bar.

What would be the ideal throw distance?

Is 15' to 16' to far?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
post #1976 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post

Yes, one more detail. My wife likes a small image and she will be using the projector every now and then without me. From a practicality perspective, it would be nice for her to be able to press a button and have the image shrink to her pre-determined memory setting. If I go with the 50ES (am leaning this way) then I would have to manually change the zoom on it so it is a smaller picture for her every time I am done gaming.. Does anyone else here have to manually change the zoom frequently that does not have the power zoom? Is the lens sturdy enough for this? Will it be difficult to zoom in and out manually frequently? I am quite worried that if I go with the 95ES for the convenience of the power lens that I wont be happy with the brightness compared to the 50ES. Does using a higher gain screen to make up for lower lumens degrade picture quality at all?

Re sizing the picture via the zoom is easy, however you'd also have to reset the focus as well. Perhaps you could draw little lines on the zoom and focus dials or something... because getting it to the correct focus each time isn't that easy... in fact it's best done with somebody else there that can stand close to the screen and look at text.
post #1977 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post

Yes, one more detail. My wife likes a small image and she will be using the projector every now and then without me. From a practicality perspective, it would be nice for her to be able to press a button and have the image shrink to her pre-determined memory setting. If I go with the 50ES (am leaning this way) then I would have to manually change the zoom on it so it is a smaller picture for her every time I am done gaming.. Does anyone else here have to manually change the zoom frequently that does not have the power zoom? Is the lens sturdy enough for this? Will it be difficult to zoom in and out manually frequently? I am quite worried that if I go with the 95ES for the convenience of the power lens that I wont be happy with the brightness compared to the 50ES. Does using a higher gain screen to make up for lower lumens degrade picture quality at all?

Hi Yosh,
We are in a similar situation. I too am interested in the W95ES but wanted a brighter PJ and the cost was a factor.
I need powered lens controls, so the 50ES won't work for me.
I'm hoping that Sony will update the W95 sometime in the next year or so.
Until then we opted for an interim solution and purchased the Sharp Z30K. It is an elegant projector with powered lens controls. It is pretty bright with a high gain screen and 3D is superb.
The most amazing feature, INMO is the price ($1800) with a full 3 year warranty...
There is a thread here in this forum. I encourage you to check it out.
post #1978 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Re sizing the picture via the zoom is easy, however you'd also have to reset the focus as well. Perhaps you could draw little lines on the zoom and focus dials or something... because getting it to the correct focus each time isn't that easy... in fact it's best done with somebody else there that can stand close to the screen and look at text.

I would get the 50es, leave the zoom and focus alone and get a lumagen to shrink the image for your wife. It will work well and she won't care about the scaling and black bars.. the image WILL be smaller.

Plus you'd also have a lumagen smile.gif
post #1979 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I use 'The Art of Flight' as a reference disk when doing the reviews in the mini-shootout thread. The majority of the film is snow filled mountains, it's a tough bluray for color uniformity. My 142" 2.8HP screen is a magnifying glass for these artifacts.

if everything else is ok, it might be best to leave it alone. It's not likely going to be seen with the majority of viewed content.


I watched the whole movie yesterday and very rarely saw any unformity problems and I was looking for it. If I was not looking for it I'm sure I'd never even see it. I also watched sin city and was not able to see it. The only time I really see it is playing NHL hockey. I watched a real hockey game for a while today and was still not able to spot it as well. I'm just hopping this is a problem that can get worst over time. I called sony today and they said I could bring the projector to there service center that's only 15 mins from my house but I don't even think I'm going to do that, if it gets worst over time I will but for now I'm just going to be happy with the one I have. Thanks for the help.
post #1980 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Re sizing the picture via the zoom is easy, however you'd also have to reset the focus as well. Perhaps you could draw little lines on the zoom and focus dials or something... because getting it to the correct focus each time isn't that easy... in fact it's best done with somebody else there that can stand close to the screen and look at text.
I manually zoom and shrink on a 130" scope screen and barely have to mess with the focus. And when I do, it's a 10-15 second endeavor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread