or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 96

post #2851 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Are they the same or at least as good?

That is the consensus. They're also more comfortable. I need to do some direct comparisons between the two, but either way you wouldn't be disappointed.
post #2852 of 3345
Thanks to Mike at AVS for all his help. I am finally running my HW50es and it is jaw dropping. Granted, this is my first projector.

Out of the box settings are pretty good. Just one quick question for anyone who might know:

I am torn on motion enhancer between off and low for 24p content. I like the added definition in low and lack of motion blur, but the soap opera effect is just a little too much. I tried film projection but didn't love the flicker.

Is there a setting in the service menu to find a middle ground between low and off? Thanks. Forgive the newbie for any errors.
post #2853 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

That is the consensus. They're also more comfortable. I need to do some direct comparisons between the two, but either way you wouldn't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Are they the same or at least as good?

I added 4 PS3 glasses to the 2 that came with the projector.

As far as quality is concerned, they're equal.

The PS3 glasses are definitely lighter and press down less on the bridge of your nose. The standard glasses are a little wider fit than the PS3 glasses which can feel tight at the back of your head after an hour or so.

All in all, I prefer the PS3 glasses and given the price they're a no-brainer.
post #2854 of 3345
The PS3 glasses also sync much, much better. The fact that they're < $20 is just a huge bonus IMO.
post #2855 of 3345
I have to order some PS3 glasses. Family coming in next month - want to watch 3D movies one night!

I am glad the reviews are good for them!
Edited by madurodave - 10/25/13 at 9:24am
post #2856 of 3345
Keep an eye on them at Amazon. I've seen them as low as $13.99.

PS3 Glasses @ Amazon
post #2857 of 3345
Best Buy also has the PS3 3D glasses @ a good price
post #2858 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech27 View Post

Best Buy also has the PS3 3D glasses @ a good price

Plus if they have them in stock they will price match amazon.
post #2859 of 3345
So, who has the most hours on their factory-installed lamp, out of interest? I'm rocking 18 hours now. Really rocking it. biggrin.gif
post #2860 of 3345
Its like asking who has the most miles on their Michelin tires without them exploding and ignores the question of whether there is any tread left. smile.gif
post #2861 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Its like asking who has the most miles on their Michelin tires without them exploding and ignores the question of whether there is any tread left. smile.gif

I get where you're going with that analogy. biggrin.gif

I know it's an open-ended question, but still - it gives me an idea if it's even possible on ANY setup to get more than 3k hours with acceptable brightness. smile.gif
post #2862 of 3345
Of course that would depend on screen size, gain, and what one considers acceptable. In the old CRT FP days, 6 ft lamberts was acceptable to some. Considering a new Sony bulb is what, $300 MSRP why push it?
post #2863 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Of course that would depend on screen size, gain, and what one considers acceptable. In the old CRT FP days, 6 ft lamberts was acceptable to some. Considering a new Sony bulb is what, $300 MSRP why push it?

Yes, yes, yes. Of course. I understand these things. smile.gif

I'm just curious if it's even feasible. You know, - has anything catastrophic happened before 2k hours etc etc? People finding issues at 1000 hours, and their screen size etc is always important. Just trying to get an idea. It's quite similar to asking how many miles you can get out of an engine. Well, if you go to the track...
post #2864 of 3345
Best 3D "only" screen for the HW50 is ?????

I tried the one screen for both 2D/3D but I'm not happy when running 3D. 2D is near perfect on my fixed screen so I will add a second screen, it will have to be electric drop down.

I have a bat cave, projector ceiling mounted 13.5' back, screen is 120" diagonal ( 110w X 46h) 2.35:1 that I run CIH 16:9. the 16:9 image is 95" diagonal.

I'm considering the following angular reflective options and in this order. Please comment if you are using one of the same.....pros and cons welcome:

1) DnP 2.3 supernova
2) SI Black Diamond 2.7
3) Stewart reflections 170 3D 1.7
4) Elite Powergain 1.8
5) Draper 1.9 Pearl White
6) Vutec Silverstar 2.2 or Silverstar 3DA

I'm in queue to get a 600ES within a couple of weeks but I'm not even sure I will bother. The HW50 is equally as bright and the image quality for HD 1080 is going to be 95%
as good. Even if I do make the switch I will still need a second screen to make 3D acceptable.
Edited by roxiedog13 - 10/24/13 at 7:10am
post #2865 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Best 3D "only" screen for the HW50 is ?????

I tried the one screen for both solution all but I'm not happy when running 3D. 2D is near perfect on my fixed screen so I will add a second, an electric drop down.

I have a bat cave, projector ceiling mounted 13.5' back, screen is 120" diagonal ( 110w X 46h) 2.35:1 that I run CIH 16:9. the 16:9 image is 95" diagonal.

I'm considering the following angular reflective options and in this order. Please comment if you are using one of the same.....pros and cons welcome:

1) DnP 2.3 supernova
2) SI Black Diamond 2.7
3) Stewart reflections 170 3D 1.7
4) Elite Powergain 1.8
5) Draper 1.9 Pearl White

I'm in queue to get a 600ES within a couple of weeks but I'm not even sure I will bother. The HW50 is equally as bright and the image quality for HD 1080 is going to be 95%
as good. Even if I do make the switch I will still need a second screen to make 3D acceptable.

You can knock the DNP off your kist. the 23-23 does not come in electric. Also disagree with your statement that the HW50ES is 95% of a VW600ES.
Reply
Reply
post #2866 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You can knock the DNP off your kist. the 23-23 does not come in electric. Also disagree with your statement that the HW50ES is 95% of a VW600ES.

Why is the DnP not electric, the material too stiff ?

I'll stick with the 95% remark as it pertains to image quality for HD content only . I certainly hope when someone actually has a copy and can do some comparisons I am proven
wrong. I may still get one myself or the 1000ES who knows, would love to eat my words. Forking out $15 large for a little improvement would be a major disappointment . The
other features you get with the 600ES from the HW50es are certainly not worth the money, lots of other brands can get you there for a lot less. If 4K content was available and
in abundance then yea, the new 4K badge would be worth the hit for the new technology purchase.
Edited by roxiedog13 - 10/23/13 at 6:08pm
post #2867 of 3345
Your assumption is correct. The DNP screen is based off of a rigid substrate that doesn't bend.
post #2868 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Your assumption is correct. The DNP screen is based off of a rigid substrate that doesn't bend.

Well, guess I would have to either take it off my list or just go with a fixed screen . Problem is I already have a fixed screen now. Anyway, that is another problem, first want to know what the members have to
say about the line up I have first hand . All manufactures will promote their strengths, their weaknesses are what I am interested in.
post #2869 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Best 3D "only" screen for the HW50 is ?????

I tried the one screen for both 2D/3D but I'm not happy when running 3D. 2D is near perfect on my fixed screen so I will add a second screen, it will have to be electric drop down.

I have a bat cave, projector ceiling mounted 13.5' back, screen is 120" diagonal ( 110w X 46h) 2.35:1 that I run CIH 16:9. the 16:9 image is 95" diagonal.

I'm considering the following angular reflective options and in this order. Please comment if you are using one of the same.....pros and cons welcome:

1) DnP 2.3 supernova
2) SI Black Diamond 2.7
3) Stewart reflections 170 3D 1.7
4) Elite Powergain 1.8
5) Draper 1.9 Pearl White
6) Vutec Silverstar 2.2 or Silverstar 3DA

I'm in queue to get a 600ES within a couple of weeks but I'm not even sure I will bother. The HW50 is equally as bright and the image quality for HD 1080 is going to be 95%
as good. Even if I do make the switch I will still need a second screen to make 3D acceptable.

added Vutec Silverstar to the list, I cannot get any spec sheet from their site. Not even sure if the 2.2 and 3D-A are the same or different .
post #2870 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

added Vutec Silverstar to the list, I cannot get any spec sheet from their site. Not even sure if the 2.2 and 3D-A are the same or different .

If staying with electric, knock off Silverstar also. Not available.
Reply
Reply
post #2871 of 3345
Vutec announced Silverstar in an electric version at Cedia. I am not sure when it is shipping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdW_enT_O4

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cedia-2013-vutec-top
post #2872 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

Vutec announced Silverstar in an electric version at Cedia. I am not sure when it is shipping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdW_enT_O4

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cedia-2013-vutec-top

You are right. Forgot about that.
Reply
Reply
post #2873 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You are right. Forgot about that.

Yes indeed, I just checked and they are releasing the Silverstar 2.2 electric early November and it will be available 16:9 and 2.35 formats. 133" largest for 16:9 and I believe 129" 2.35.

They are claiming a much greater viewing cone than the BD screens, better blacks and much better off axis color. Would be great to have all of this and still work in ambient light too .
post #2874 of 3345
I noticed that the VPL-HW50 comes with the TMR-PJ2 3D IR transmitter. Based on the manual, this transmitter can be installed by the projector and works through bouncing off IR off the screen.
Did anybody experience any issues mounting the transmitter by the projector?

The reason for my question: I am a VPL-HW30 owner. This projector came with the TMR-PJ1 transmitter that really only works when mounted in the front of the room.
Considering changing the transmitter.
post #2875 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post

I noticed that the VPL-HW50 comes with the TMR-PJ2 3D IR transmitter. Based on the manual, this transmitter can be installed by the projector and works through bouncing off IR off the screen.
Did anybody experience any issues mounting the transmitter by the projector?

The reason for my question: I am a VPL-HW30 owner. This projector came with the TMR-PJ1 transmitter that really only works when mounted in the front of the room.
Considering changing the transmitter.

The HW50 does not come with the TMR-PJ2 emitter. It has a built-in 3D emitter which works fine by bouncing off the screen (distance/screen dependent, of course), or you can use the TMR-PJ1 or TMR-PJ2.

While I was using an HW30, I used the TMR-PJ2 and it worked perfectly sitting on top of the projector. It also works fine with the HW50, but I no longer use it since the HW50 has the emitter built in that works great. The TMR-PJ1 is pretty notorious for not working very well in many setups when set near the projector to bounce off the screen. Definitely go with the TMR-PJ2 with your HW30 if you're having issues.
post #2876 of 3345
Hey WilliamG....

I'm going to be getting my B-Stock HW50 from AVS hopefully in the next few weeks and am thinking maybe I should get the TMR-PJ2 emitter if I could find one cheap.

Are you going to be selling yours since you no longer use it? Please PM me with a price if you are........ unless metropole beat me to it....

Thanks,
BajaPete
post #2877 of 3345
Question for you guys - is there any way to do picture in picture on this thing?

Though I guess if it is from one input, the PIP would have to come from the cable box. I know I could do it with Dish with just a remote click, but now with Fios it doesn't appear to have it. It would be great for football :/
post #2878 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Question for you guys - is there any way to do picture in picture on this thing?

Though I guess if it is from one input, the PIP would have to come from the cable box. I know I could do it with Dish with just a remote click, but now with Fios it doesn't appear to have it. It would be great for football :/
I don't think the PJ can display PIP from both inputs at once. You'd have to use the feature from your cable/sat/fios box.
post #2879 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Question for you guys - is there any way to do picture in picture on this thing?

Though I guess if it is from one input, the PIP would have to come from the cable box. I know I could do it with Dish with just a remote click, but now with Fios it doesn't appear to have it. It would be great for football :/
I don't think the PJ can display PIP from both inputs at once. You'd have to use the feature from your cable/sat/fios box.

Yeah and I did some research and fios doesn't have it in their box. How is it possible that in this day and age you can't implement something as simple as PIP on a cable box? They even have a button for it on the remote.
post #2880 of 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaPete View Post

Hey WilliamG....

I'm going to be getting my B-Stock HW50 from AVS hopefully in the next few weeks and am thinking maybe I should get the TMR-PJ2 emitter if I could find one cheap.

Are you going to be selling yours since you no longer use it? Please PM me with a price if you are........ unless metropole beat me to it....

Thanks,
BajaPete

Hey Baja, thanks for the offer but I'm going to be keeping it. I expect to be moving sometime in the next couple of years, so I *might* need it then. What's your setup going to be like? You really might not need the emitter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread