or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 MLB Playoffs in HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 MLB Playoffs in HDTV - Page 2

post #31 of 92
It's just my opinion, Anderson,Darling, and Simpson were not the #1 crew working on TBS but they were certainly the best. It's a moot point for Canadians as our provider Rogers Sportsnet has switched starting with the ALCS to the International feed with Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe. I like Thorne but Sutcliffe never stops talking, and at least half of what he says is unnecessary.
post #32 of 92
HD quality for Giants game is lacking, especially the centerfield camera (looking at batter). On a side note, can marketing firms quit having feedback on commericials? Gecio and Red Robin are two cuprits, about four more.
post #33 of 92
STL at SF WNYW-DT NYC FiOS TV

Any wide camera shot including the pitcher and batter have real bad swimming grass effect digital compression artifacts.
It's amazing FOX does not work with their O&O stations to improve the PQ.
post #34 of 92
Thread Starter 
I noticed Fox has changed the scorebox in the upper left corner of the screen. As much as I did like the previous scorebox, I like the new scorebox due to it's minimal size.
post #35 of 92
FOX could do something like this to have less graphics on screen,
abdoTvOJ.jpg
post #36 of 92
Thread Starter 
Overall, I think the picture quality is very good on Fox for Game 1 of the NLCS-STL/SF. Watching on KSWB via Time Warner Cable San Diego on the LG 47" LM6200
post #37 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

FOX could do something like this to have less graphics on screen,
abdoTvOJ.jpg
You know what icemannyr, I've often wondered why Fox doesn't put their logo on top of the scorebox for quite sometime now.
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

HD quality for Giants game is lacking, especially the centerfield camera (looking at batter). On a side note, can marketing firms quit having feedback on commericials? Gecio and Red Robin are two cuprits, about four more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

STL at SF WNYW-DT NYC FiOS TV
Any wide camera shot including the pitcher and batter have real bad swimming grass effect digital compression artifacts.
It's amazing FOX does not work with their O&O stations to improve the PQ.

agreed, some of those camera shots at beginning of game looked like sd. might have been lighting issue as it seemed to disappear
as the game and darkness progressed.
watch via dish bay area fox affiliate.
post #39 of 92
Fox is disappointing honestly. The only thing I like is the scoreboard graphics. I don't like Joe Buck. I don't like Tim McCarver, and on WNYW via DirecTV the PQ is not even close to that of TBS.

I do actually like the production/camera angles better, it's just a shame I have to deal with the poor PQ.
post #40 of 92
It's the same on WNYW-DT via FiOS and OTA. They really need to adjust the settings on their encoder and improve the PQ.

Feb. 2, 2004 B&C "The Fox Network has revealed its plans to cost-effectively distribute HDTV content via satellite to its 194 affiliates across the country. Working with Terayon Communications Systems and Thomson Broadcast, Fox has developed a system that will save on satellite distribution costs by enabling the Fox stations to add their own material into the network-deliver HD video stream locally. This, the network said, will also help maintain a high quality signal right through to the consumer’s home."
http://broadcastengineering.com/news/fox-stations-splice-hd-feed-local-level

The splicer is not helping to improve the PQ on WNYW-DT.
post #41 of 92
yep poor hd pq alright. very noticeable. worst of the 4 major networks.

i'm having big time audio problems watching cards v giants. sound will slowly drop off to the point i can't even hear what
mccarver is saying. turn up the volume and 30 seconds later there's a hiccup and the sound is blaring

happened continuously through the 1st game and even worse last night.

anyone else having issues with this?

don't know if it is fox, local fox affiliate (s.f. station), or dish transmission
post #42 of 92
It sounded and looked just fine OTA for both games down here in San Jose.
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It sounded and looked just fine OTA for both games down here in San Jose.

well that seems to limit it to dish transmission or dvr issues as i watched off a recording.

maybe my hard drive is starting to go and i need to swap it out for a new one.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It sounded and looked just fine OTA for both games down here in San Jose.
I thought it looked pretty good too via Comcast in Santa Rosa, but that's not saying much given that the Giants' regular season broadcaster, CSNBA(Comcast), puts out a product that is one of the very worst quality baseball broadcasts around, it's just awful in both the video and audio realms. The FOX broadcast has been a definite step up.
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought it looked pretty good too via Comcast in Santa Rosa, but that's not saying much given that the Giants' regular season broadcaster, CSNBA(Comcast), puts out a product that is one of the very worst quality baseball broadcasts around, it's just awful in both the video and audio realms. The FOX broadcast has been a definite step up.

Yeah I've often wondered why that is. The live feed for local games go to the same production trucks and then off to their respective carriers. I've had a neighbor come over and watch FOX Sports (baseball or football) on 2.1 because his Comcast was crap (and he pays for that biggrin.gif).
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought it looked pretty good too via Comcast in Santa Rosa, but that's not saying much given that the Giants' regular season broadcaster, CSNBA(Comcast), puts out a product that is one of the very worst quality baseball broadcasts around, it's just awful in both the video and audio realms. The FOX broadcast has been a definite step up.

but that's not saying much

+1
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well that seems to limit it to dish transmission or dvr issues as i watched off a recording.
maybe my hard drive is starting to go and i need to swap it out for a new one.

I had the audio go poopy, but only noticed it once - DirecTV. Fox's overall quality is so low I try to just ignore it and watch the game, so I could have easily missed other times. Funny that the studio pre-game looked okay, but the game looks like some crappy RSN.

And of course, MLB in its infinite wisdom gave Fox a bunch more games for us to enjoy in the coming years.
post #48 of 92
TBS HD FIOS TV

I missed the TBS Pregame show, did they show the National Anthem?

TBS PQ is i much better then FOX. No swimming grass effect digital compression artifacts.
Edited by icemannyr - 10/16/12 at 5:12pm
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

TBS PQ is i much better then FOX. No swimming grass effect digital compression artifacts.

Isn't it amazing that we are still discussing this in 2012? It's been 8 years since FOX started broadcasting sports in HD, and it hasn't improved one bit as near as I can tell. You'd think at some point it would get better.
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

TBS HD FIOS TV
I missed the TBS Pregame show, did they show the National Anthem?
TBS PQ is i much better then FOX. No swimming grass effect digital compression artifacts.

after watching my 1st game of the alcs last night, could not agree more.
post #51 of 92
TBS does have better PQ with the games. But TBS just does a crappy job with the games. There is nothing "baseball" about what TBS is doing. And while I'm at it....a 4pm LCS game is just stupid!
post #52 of 92
I just realized TBS has 3.5 hours scheduled for games, but Fox is still stupidly sticking to 3 hours (including 30 min. pre-game.)

I'm sitting 18' from a 64" display as I type this (I measured it) and the Fox PQ isn't bad tongue.gif
post #53 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I just realized TBS has 3.5 hours scheduled for games, but Fox is still stupidly sticking to 3 hours (including 30 min. pre-game.)
I'm sitting 18' from a 64" display as I type this (I measured it) and the Fox PQ isn't bad tongue.gif

I was wondering if that was a glitch on Time Warner Cable's digital guide. I guess not. Stupid on Fox's part for not scheduling the pregame show in an individual 30 minute block and an individual 3 & 1/2 hour block for the game itself.


With that said, looks like the Giants/Cardinals game in St. Louis will probably resume at around 8pm CT while the Yankees/Tigers game in Detroit is now in rain delay mode. No update on a new startime yet.
Edited by Tom Wellman - 10/17/12 at 5:12pm
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I was wondering if that was a glitch on Time Warner Cable's digital guide. I guess not. Stupid on Fox's part for not scheduling the pregame show in an individual 30 minute block and an individual 3 & 1/2 hour block for the game itself.
With that said, looks like the Giants/Cardinals will probably resume at around 8pm CT while the Yankees/Tigers game in Detroit is now in rain delay mode. No update on a new startime yet.

Thanks for the update on times and rain - I didn't even know the AL was delayed since I'm still watching the Giants (I knew there was a delay coming though.) Trying to schedule this stuff on DVR is giving me a headache smile.gif
post #55 of 92
Thread Starter 
ALCS Game 4 between the Yankees and Tigers in Detroit has been postponed due to rain. ALCS-Game 4 is scheduled to resume outtomorrow, Thursday, October 18th at 4:07pm ET. ALDS-GAME 5 has been pushed to Friday, October 19th, Startime:TBA, but I would imagine it would be a 4:07pm ET (provided if the game is necessary) since NLCS-Game 5 is set for a 8pm ET start already.

Judging by the weather radar over St. Louis, I would imagine that Game 3 will resume between 8:40pm-9:20pm CT.
Edited by Tom Wellman - 10/17/12 at 6:45pm
post #56 of 92
FOX is on with a crawl over the Mindy Project. NLCS Game 3 resumes at 10:05 ET/9:05 CT/7:05 PT. X-Factor airs Tuesday at 8 ET/PT.

EDIT: And we're back with the pleasant vocal tones of Joe Buck.

EDIT 2: "First pitch" 3 hour, 20 minute delay
Edited by cgmv123 - 10/17/12 at 7:07pm
post #57 of 92
I've REALLY been disappointed with the video quality of FOX - mostly with camera shading/black levels and focus. VERY sub-standard IMHO. For both games in SF the 'batter close-up' cam looked absolutely horrible - with blacks in the mud. And white balance was off on quite a few cameras in SF and continued last night in StL.... Gotta wonder where they found their camera shader??
post #58 of 92
SF @ STL WNYW-DT FiOS

The bouncing on the pitcher batter cam and the close up of the batter is very annoying.
It's real bad on the closeup of the batter.
post #59 of 92
Thread Starter 
FYI, with the ALCS concluded, NLCS Game 6: Cardinals at Giants has been moved to a new time, 7:30pm ET/6:30pm/4:30pm PT.
post #60 of 92
The quality Fox provides continues to be lacking. What a terrible product for MLB.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 MLB Playoffs in HDTV