or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Bose 901
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bose 901

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Looking to upgrade my receiver and would like 5.1 unit. Any suggestions on what may work well with my series 6 901's
post #2 of 21
Unless you are willing to use your existing receiver (if it has a preamp out/amp in) in conjunction with a 5:1 receiver to separate the Bose equalizer from the rest of the speakers.
Your best bet would be a separate preamp like the Marantz AV7005 with power amps of your choice or pick from this listhttp://worldwide.bose.com/common/en/assets/pdf/guides/speakers/901_series6/en/ht_list_en_901.pdf
post #3 of 21
post #4 of 21
Jeff,

I have the Pioneer Elite SC-67 with my Bose 901 VI . I use the Monster 5150 5 channel amp to "push" the 901's and the receiver runs the rest of my 7.1 set up.

Using the equalizer, I run them thru the Pre-out and it's pretty seemless.

Sounds real nice since my "Man Cave" is about 2400 square feet!

Ben
post #5 of 21
What is the minimum wattage I should look for in a two channel amp that I will run off my onkyo txnr- 709 for my 901's?
post #6 of 21
The series 6 901's are efficent speakers that don't need alot of power but imo I would still shoot for something in the 100 watts per channel range as a minimum.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky6 View Post

The series 6 901's are efficent speakers that don't need alot of power but imo I would still shoot for something in the 100 watts per channel range as a minimum.
thank you
post #8 of 21
Never thought of 901's as particularly efficient, but they are not highly inefficient either, so 100 W/ch would probably do fine. Bose does not spec sensitivity so it's hard to say for sure. Emotiva (and everybody else) will probably start their holiday sale soon.
post #9 of 21
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

Here is a review that may change the minds of a lot of "Bose 901 Bashers"
post #10 of 21
Reviews in general don't sway my opinion one way or the other, especially when said review lacks any measurements.
post #11 of 21
I enjoyed the review, the writer seem to be surprised at the overall sound from the speakers. As for lack of measurements, the writer advised that Bose didn't return his calls that's why he didn't have any measurements.
post #12 of 21
Of course they didn't return his calls when he asked them for measurements.

That's why he should do some himself.
post #13 of 21
Bose doesn't provide any measurements because their position is the best way to know is to listen. You like it or you don't sort of thing.

Regardless of measurement, for speakers, I presume the ear is the final arbiter anyway.
post #14 of 21
Fair enough point.

But if your ears are the final arbiter, does another person's review have any value whatsoever?

I submit the answer is no, unless a decent attempt at measurements is included.
post #15 of 21
The value of a review, in this context, is not to determine how good the speakers are but rather, simply, that they are worth discussing at all. So many people today dismiss everything from Bose out-of-hand that they must first be convinced that anything from Bose could possibly be worth considering in a high-fidelity context.
post #16 of 21
The main reason I brought up the discussion is because folks bash the speakers when about 90% never heard them. I also don't understand when and why the actual bashing started but when ToneAudio did the article and it was very organized and straight forward, I had to share.
post #17 of 21
Maybe the latest 901s' are good sounding loudspeaker...
Unfortunately...
They are not compatible with a home theater AVR unless it has Pre-Outs and a separate L/R power amplifiers. Since components represent <5% the 901's miss the other 95% market.. rolleyes.gif

Maybe its time for an AVR brand to return to having Pre-Outs and Main-Ins for all channels which would also provide more flexibility for multi-zone applications...
Now that many of the analog audio and video connectors have been replaced by multiple HDMI connectors, there is enough physical rear panel space...


Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #18 of 21
I think when most people hear "Bose" they instantly think of the tiny cubes with the Acoustimass module, which is absolute garbage (especially considering the price). My only other exposure to Bose is the wave radio and an old set of bookshelf speakers that my in-laws own. I didn't find either of them to be particularly remarkable, so it doesn't make me want to rush out and try their other products. I imagine others are in the same boat.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Maybe the latest 901s' are good sounding loudspeaker...
Unfortunately...
They are not compatible with a home theater AVR unless it has Pre-Outs and a separate L/R power amplifiers. Since components represent <5% the 901's miss the other 95% market.. rolleyes.gif
Maybe its time for an AVR brand to return to having Pre-Outs and Main-Ins for all channels which would also provide more flexibility for multi-zone applications...
Now that many of the analog audio and video connectors have been replaced by multiple HDMI connectors, there is enough physical rear panel space...
Just my $0.02... wink.gif

????
Bose 901's are loudspeakers. Any AVR can drive them. Connect some speaker wire from the speaker output on the AVR to the speaker input on the loudspeaker. Your post is incoherent.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by codoug View Post

????
Bose 901's are loudspeakers. Any AVR can drive them. Connect some speaker wire from the speaker output on the AVR to the speaker input on the loudspeaker. Your post is incoherent.

Why would you comment on a topic with which you are clearly unfamiliar?

The 901 uses acrive equalization. It requires a line-level signal from a pre-out or tape out, which it then equalizes specifically for the speaker before returning it to the main-in or tape-in.
post #21 of 21
Hello all,
I have finally got a opportunity to get a good entry level amp to drive my 2nd zone 901's at roughly $85 including shipping. My question is which one to chose a Sonance sonamp 275se or a adcom gfa 535 II? opinions please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Bose 901