or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 


Quote:
The personal life and times of H.B. "Toby" Halicki, the Car Crash King
Intimate interview with Denice Halicki on the set of her filming the 2000 remake of Gone in 60 Seconds (starring Nicolas Cage & Angelina Jolie)
Commentary from Jack Vacek (Director of Photography) & Warner Leighton (Editor)
A rare interview with the "Father of the Ford Mustang," Lee Iacocca
3 additional featurettes "Cut to the Chase" including information about the real accidents caught on film!

October 16
post #2 of 15
The only question we really need to ask is are we getting a new re-master/transfer with lossless audio or just a regurgitation of the DVD master and soundmix. Todd-AO did it many years ago so I hope we are getting something fresh.
post #3 of 15
And if you act now, you can get the DVD for $49.49 at Amazon - why wait till next week to get it with the BD for $12.99? smile.gif

larry
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


October 16

Taking the videogame marketing approach, I see. Seriously cartoony! Custom cover art for me, I suppose.

post #5 of 15
Vanishing Point is one of my favorite films. I have a lot of love for Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. The last time I watched Gone in 60 Seconds (original) was on VHS. What I remember is that unlike the two other films mentioned, there really were no memorable characters, or even much of a plot. It was all about the car chase, and the car chase was long. Did I miss something? Is it worth revisiting?
post #6 of 15
It has the same basic plot as the remake only without any of the family elements.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

And if you act now, you can get the DVD for $49.49 at Amazon - why wait till next week to get it with the BD for $12.99? smile.gif
larry

The DVD is still several bucks as WalMart, which is - unfortunately - the only place this is probably going to be carried.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Vanishing Point is one of my favorite films. I have a lot of love for Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. The last time I watched Gone in 60 Seconds (original) was on VHS. What I remember is that unlike the two other films mentioned, there really were no memorable characters, or even much of a plot. It was all about the car chase, and the car chase was long. Did I miss something? Is it worth revisiting?
Wiki has some other info on the production, but the only reason why most people watch it is for this: The film is famous for having wrecked and destroyed 93 cars in a 34-minute car chase scene. The car chase is the longest ever filmed.

larry
post #9 of 15
I remember renting this on VHS in the early 80's, from the box and description
my uncle and I thought it was a kidnapping movie or something.

looking forward to the blu-ray
post #10 of 15
This film holds a special place in our lives. My wife and I got married on Dec. 20 1974 and went to LaJola, and San Diego, CA for our honeymoon. We were in San Diego on Christmas day and nothing was open, I mean nothing... except for the down town movie theater and sure enough "Gone in 60 Seconds" was the movie playing. 3/4s of the way through the film someone let off a smoke bomb in the theater and we had to evacuate the theater! Once the theater cleared we were alowed in to see the end of the film. One heck of a demolition derby ... ah, memories.
post #11 of 15
From what I dug up elsewhere, this Blu-Ray is not worth the money. Almost looks like they up-rezzed a DVD using the most basic methods and called it a Blu-Ray from the caps I saw.
post #12 of 15
I'm just shocked to hear that! eek.gif Actually, no, I'm really not. rolleyes.gif It's a sad commentary on the state of catalog Blu-ray Discs.
post #13 of 15
Not true- it has a wonderful video transfer. Some of the finest HD rendering of 70's grind house cinema.
The bad part isn't that the audio is lossy- it's that it's the newly created (as of 2000) soundtrack with awful temp music that was used for the DVD.
post #14 of 15
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gone-In-60-Seconds-Blu-ray/51569/#Screenshots

It doesn't look horrible. I saw it at Wal-Mart last night for like $13.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Not true- it has a wonderful video transfer. Some of the finest HD rendering of 70's grind house cinema.
The bad part isn't that the audio is lossy- it's that it's the newly created (as of 2000) soundtrack with awful temp music that was used for the DVD.

That's great to hear about the video. A shame about the audio however.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)