or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 37

post #1081 of 3772
My lip-sync issues occur with a direct HDMI connection between the device and the TV.
post #1082 of 3772
I have a cable box connected directly to the TV, via HDMI, with sound coming out of the TV's speakers. The audio trails the video. The amount of trailing gradually increases until it becomes unbearable. There doesn't appear to be any setting on my cable box to force PCM audio over HDMI. The lip sync adjustment on the TV just makes it worse.
post #1083 of 3772
HDMI sucks and its' only valid purposes are to dumb down our hobby, restrict the end user/consumers options while increasing costs and force obsolescence of some great AV gear all while pacifying the paranoid anti-piracy Hollywood billionaires. Incredibly, it was Hollywood who forced HT and AV'ers to turn to China as an ally against their draconian mandates against the consumer. I used to be on the side of the content providers until their mandates and legislation punished me and all the rest of the innocents along with the criminals. (rant end... )tongue.gif
post #1084 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Greg,
I think you hit the proper way to avoid lip sync. I may be wrong, but it seems that folks who have lip sync are running an HDMI from their sources to the TV and then using the single optical out to run to their AVR/preamp which then processes the digital audio sending it back to the speakers. Before my Vizio went dark, I had no lip sync and ONLY used the HDMI connection for in TV processing and display and sound from onboard TV speakers. When I wanted to use my AV Preamp for 5.1/7.1 audio, I muted my TV speakers and send a digital audio coax or optical cable directly to my AVPreamp. It seems to me that processing the HDMI audio through the TV on its' way to the AVR/AVP introduces additional processing time over and above the video processing which takes place in the TV via HDMI. It makes sense to me that the onscreen TV video would match the timing of when the audio is leaving the TV via the optical digital output and so by the time it returns from your DD processor, it is late and lip sync occurs.

Before I took my set back to walmart I had the lip sync issue as well. My TV was hdmi from cable box to the tv. The issue got so bad I would still be hearing audio from one AD after another AD was already playing. I don't have lots of money so I didn't chance it and made a quick return. Now I don't know what to get. I'd like 3d put they still charge a premium for the sets and the movies.
post #1085 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

HDMI sucks and its' only valid purposes are to dumb down our hobby, restrict the end user/consumers options while increasing costs and force obsolescence of some great AV gear all while pacifying the paranoid anti-piracy Hollywood billionaires. Incredibly, it was Hollywood who forced HT and AV'ers to turn to China as an ally against their draconian mandates against the consumer. I used to be on the side of the content providers until their mandates and legislation punished me and all the rest of the innocents along with the criminals. (rant end... )tongue.gif

Ding! Ding! Ding!
post #1086 of 3772
My set has been randomly shutting itself off although unlike some on here I have been able to turn it back on. It has done it twice today while watching bowl games. Luckily I still have about 5 days left on my Costco Warranty. Not sure to replace with another or go to Sharp 6400 or Samsung. I like the television but with it shutting off randomly and others reports of their sets going out all together I think I might better do something since I am within my 90 days
post #1087 of 3772
I'm going give one of these a shot. Gonna snag it off Amazon, if I hit any issues within my 30 days I'll probably hop back to a plasma.
post #1088 of 3772
Vizio Service Request Tracking?
For those of you who have received a replacement TV or who are going to receive a replacement TV like me - have any of you actually had any luck with the Vizio Service Request Status Tracking site which is supposed to show when our replacement TV was ordered from the warehouse, when it was shipped from the warehouse, and the tracking information for our replacement sets?
Here is a link: http://crmsupport.vizio.com/WebStatus.aspx

My initial service request was supposedly placed on 12/28 but the site still shows nothing.

Anyone ever see anything on this site and how long did it take before it showed up for you?
post #1089 of 3772
Per online chat with vizio: how to fix lip sync

1. unplug tv
2. hold power button in on side of tv for 30 sec
3. plug up tv
4. go to menu and set to pcm....and poof...no more lip sync.


LOL

she assured me that this would fix problem..........rolleyes.gif
post #1090 of 3772
I have been following this thread for the past several weeks. I snagged one of these set off Amazon during the Turkey Day deal, and overall it is a nice looking TV but I have also been having the "random power off" issue. Just spoke with VIZIO and they are going to send out a replacement. Hopefully this next set has all the issues fixed because I really want to like this TV for the long haul!
post #1091 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Vizio Service Request Tracking?
For those of you who have received a replacement TV or who are going to receive a replacement TV like me - have any of you actually had any luck with the Vizio Service Request Status Tracking site which is supposed to show when our replacement TV was ordered from the warehouse, when it was shipped from the warehouse, and the tracking information for our replacement sets?
Here is a link: http://crmsupport.vizio.com/WebStatus.aspx
My initial service request was supposedly placed on 12/28 but the site still shows nothing.
Anyone ever see anything on this site and how long did it take before it showed up for you?

I was checking that daily and nothing was showing up for me either, but I got a phone call after a couple days which was a automated message giving me the date and a 4 hour window of when to expect my delivery. I know that doesn't really answer your question but I would imagine you would get a call this week.

The shippers did a good job of taking my old tv and putting the new one on the stand then on my tv stand. They recommended not to turn it on for a few hours.
I was happy with the shipping service they used.
The new T.V. I got has alot less back light bleeding during power on and the picture is fine. I plan on putting some hours on it for the next month to see if the problem happens again.
post #1092 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat01 View Post

Per online chat with vizio: how to fix lip sync
1. unplug tv
2. hold power button in on side of tv for 30 sec
3. plug up tv
4. go to menu and set to pcm....and poof...no more lip sync.
LOL
she assured me that this would fix problem..........rolleyes.gif

Did you tell Vizio that setting to PCM 'may' help with the lip sync issue but removes the ability to have Dolby sound?
Who wants just stereo?
post #1093 of 3772
How can you get PCM through HDMI?
post #1094 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS View Post

How can you get PCM through HDMI?
Via the audio output settings in the menu on your source units... if they have one.
post #1095 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak13 View Post

I was checking that daily and nothing was showing up for me either, but I got a phone call after a couple days which was a automated message giving me the date and a 4 hour window of when to expect my delivery. I know that doesn't really answer your question but I would imagine you would get a call this week.
The shippers did a good job of taking my old tv and putting the new one on the stand then on my tv stand. They recommended not to turn it on for a few hours.
I was happy with the shipping service they used.
The new T.V. I got has alot less back light bleeding during power on and the picture is fine. I plan on putting some hours on it for the next month to see if the problem happens again.
Thanks Peak for the help!smile.gif

I spoke with Vizio this morning and the guy I spoke to didn't sound too positive about me getting the new TV in time for round 2 of the NFL playoffs. He said with the holidays I'd possibly be looking at something like 15 working days... which even without holidays is 3 weeks from the 28th. Hope he was being conservative in his estimate... or at least, hope the longer delay means that I will get some new upgraded/fixed and super duper version of the e601-a3... maybe... the e601-a5? biggrin.gif
post #1096 of 3772
Had this set for almost 2 months now. Absolutely fantastic. I had a lot of compliments from family over the holidays and inquiries from them about the model. I've used it for gaming on PS3 and 360, Netflix/Amazon Prime, and regular DirecTV programming. Can't say enough good things about it for the money.
post #1097 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Greg,
I think you hit the proper way to avoid lip sync. I may be wrong, but it seems that folks who have lip sync are running an HDMI from their sources to the TV and then using the single optical out to run to their AVR/preamp which then processes the digital audio sending it back to the speakers. Before my Vizio went dark, I had no lip sync and ONLY used the HDMI connection for in TV processing and display and sound from onboard TV speakers. When I wanted to use my AV Preamp for 5.1/7.1 audio, I muted my TV speakers and send a digital audio coax or optical cable directly to my AVPreamp. It seems to me that processing the HDMI audio through the TV on its' way to the AVR/AVP introduces additional processing time over and above the video processing which takes place in the TV via HDMI. It makes sense to me that the onscreen TV video would match the timing of when the audio is leaving the TV via the optical digital output and so by the time it returns from your DD processor, it is late and lip sync occurs.

Hi Jack,

This might be the case but in the past I had my 42" Samsung setup that way (HDMI in to the TV from m HTPC and then optical out of my TV into my Onkyo receiver) it never had any problems with Lip Sync.

I bought this Vizio over the Christmas holidays but haven't noticed any lip sync issues so far. (knock on wood).
post #1098 of 3772
I was completely set on this tv but these lip sync and random shutoff issues are disconcerting. Are these isolated incidents or common problems? Should I pay an extra $500 for the Sony KDL60EX645 for piece of mind or the Sharp LC60LE640U for $200 more?
Edited by mlgreen - 1/3/13 at 6:32pm
post #1099 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by antidodge View Post

Hi Jack,
This might be the case but in the past I had my 42" Samsung setup that way (HDMI in to the TV from m HTPC and then optical out of my TV into my Onkyo receiver) it never had any problems with Lip Sync.
I bought this Vizio over the Christmas holidays but haven't noticed any lip sync issues so far. (knock on wood).

My old TV never had the audio/video sync problem either. So, I think the "proper" approach to the sync problem is for Vizio to fix it by releasing new firmware, software, hardware, or whatever "ware" it takes. In the meantime, people can try the "workarounds" being suggested by Vizio and other customers willing to share the results of their troubleshooting.
post #1100 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgreen View Post

I was completely set on this tv but these lip sync and random shutoff issues are disconcerting. Are these isolated incidents or common problems? Should I pay an extra $500 for the Sony KDL60EX645 for piece of mind or the Sharp LC60LE640U for $200 more?

In my opinion, paying $500 more for a Sony no longer provides peace of mind. Due to the increasing competitiveness of the TV market and other factors, I think Sony gets their parts from the same companies and use the same (or similar) outsourced assemblers, as almost all other brands. They even outsource their design process. Most have very similar failure rates now.
post #1101 of 3772
I got a new set from Costco and swapped it out. I don't want to Jinx myself but so far so good. The flash lighting on startup is much better, shuddering I was experiencing seems to be better and so far it hasn't shut itself off smile.gif

One interesting thing I noticed. Some of the factory default values on this set are different than my previous one. Previous set was one of the first made as it was the first one sold from my Costco. I'm guessing they did some updates to the factory Defaults after production had started.

Only problem I had is some adhesive being on the screen which scared the crap out of me as I thought it was scratches. After some sprayway and microfibers I finally got that under control. Television updated itsself to 1.1.4 just a few hours after being up and running.
post #1102 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

I got a new set from Costco and swapped it out. I don't want to Jinx myself but so far so good. The flash lighting on startup is much better, shuddering I was experiencing seems to be better and so far it hasn't shut itself off smile.gif
One interesting thing I noticed. Some of the factory default values on this set are different than my previous one. Previous set was one of the first made as it was the first one sold from my Costco. I'm guessing they did some updates to the factory Defaults after production had started.
Only problem I had is some adhesive being on the screen which scared the crap out of me as I thought it was scratches. After some sprayway and microfibers I finally got that under control. Television updated itsself to 1.1.4 just a few hours after being up and running.

What does your serial number start with, mine is 39. They are starting on the third batch over at the E70 thread. The initial batch was 46, now up to 48.
post #1103 of 3772
The one that I returned started with 39 this one starts with 45. Looks like they have gone through a few
post #1104 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgreen View Post

I was completely set on this tv but these lip sync and random shutoff issues are disconcerting. Are these isolated incidents or common problems? Should I pay an extra $500 for the Sony KDL60EX645 for piece of mind or the Sharp LC60LE640U for $200 more?

I brought my Vizio back to Costco on New Years Eve morning when it went out. Had it almost 2 months. I did exactly what you are thinking and bought the Sony KDL60EX645. I'm happy as long as it keeps working. It seems a little more refined than the Vizio as it should be being more money. The reviews I read say that the blacks aren't as good as the Vizio but, I'm not seeing it. They look fine to me as well as a more evenly lit picture with less noticable clouding. It's still there but, it is better than the Vizio. Also the dark corners that the Vizio had is still on the Sony but to a lesser degree as well.

Tom
post #1105 of 3772
I bought one of these guys from Target a few weeks ago to replace my old beast (Sony 53HS10), and so far I like it a lot. I did have the Netflix app lockup a few times and had to power the TV to get it working again, but aside from that I've had no issues.

I do have a question about using it as a monitor via HDMI. I have it set as 1920x1080, but it leaves about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch black border around the entire picture. If the TV displays 1080 as a full screen when watching shows, why doesn't it use the whole screen when going through my PC? I'm not sure if there is a setting I'm missing, or if it is supposed to be like that, but I haven't found it mentioned anywhere. I also have a 46inch Sony I use to stream videos from another PC and it runs the same 1920x1080 resolution as a full screen.

Thanks!
post #1106 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

The one that I returned started with 39 this one starts with 45. Looks like they have gone through a few
The one I bought on BF at Walmart started with 44.
I hope the new one on the way to me is at least a 45 unit?
post #1107 of 3772
I bought two last month to put side by side for both XBOX 360's.. I have one up next to our other vizio 42' 3D TV and the other 60' currently downstairs with DirectTV connected to it. Once we finish cleaning up the basement both of the 60' Vizio's are gonna go down there with the XBOX's. As with the OP I too was looking at the Samsung 8k series but decided to pass since I can get two 60's for the price of 1.



The 60' next to the 42'

post #1108 of 3772
Well, it has been 7 days since Vizio said they'd send me out a new TV and upon checking the Vizio service request site, it still appears as though my replacement TV hasn't even been ordered from the warehouse. I can't believe that according to the Vizio site, there has been absolutely nothing done with regard to my replacement TV in the entire week since they promised to get right on it.

Tomorrow morning, I'm checking the stock at the 3 other nearby Walmarts and if they have a Vizio 60 in stock I'm tossing my broken one in the back seat, grabbing my receipt and heading to Walmart to do an exchange.

I know that Vizio doesn't want me to do this but if they can't even place the order with their own warehouse in 7 days they don't deserve for me to do things they way they want.
post #1109 of 3772
Wow,Jack Morris,I would be upset. after reading that,I came up with a plan
If I have any problems with mine,I will simply go to Walmart and purchase another one,take the broken one,put it in the box and return it as doa.
post #1110 of 3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Well, it has been 7 days since Vizio said they'd send me out a new TV and upon checking the Vizio service request site, it still appears as though my replacement TV hasn't even been ordered from the warehouse...

I received a web link to "track" my replacement, but it never said that anything happened. However, I received an automated call from the freight company describing a delivery. You might want to call Vizio for an update. The web site is useless.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread