Originally Posted by rugerztzg
Hi! I got this set last week and I am loving it! One question: I have all my components (Bluray, 360, cable box, media player) hooked via hdmi cables to AVR (Onkyo NR 509), AVR via hdmi to TV. When I play app (say YouTube) do I need separate audio out from TV to recieve sound through AVR? I don't seem to get "return" audio from TV through hdmi. I'm kind of new at home theater, so I may be missing something. Thanks for your help.
The Vizio E601i-A3 TV and your Onkyo NR 509 both support something called Audio Return Channel (ARC), which allows audio to be carried from a TV back to a receiver over the same HDMI cable that delivers the video from the receiver to the TV, so you should be able to make it work (no guarantee, though):
1. Make sure your HDMI cable is "HDMI version 1.4-compliant".
2. Make sure one end of your HDMI cable is attached to the "HDMI 1" input on the Vizio E601i-A3 TV (that is the port that supports ARC).
3. Make sure the other end of your HDMI cable is attached to the HDMI output on the Onkyo NR 509 receiver (that is the port that supports ARC), and that the receiver is set to the "TV/CD" input.
4. On your Onkyo receiver, set "HDMI Ctrl (RIHD)" to "On".
5. Turn off both the TV and the receiver, then turn them both back on.
See pages 15 and 48-49 of your Onkyo receiver's manual for details.
If that does not work, you can just attach an optical audio cable between the TV's optical audio output and an optical audio input on your receiver. Then, whenever you are viewing video that originates with the TV, like the YouTube or Netflix app, you just have to switch to the optical input on the receiver.Edited by splinke - 1/22/13 at 12:52am