or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 107

post #3181 of 3777
Two answers to this.
1. Black crushing is when the picture is too dark, so instead of seeing details in dark areas or different shades of black, you just see messy black. You could try a calibration DVD to fix your picture settings, or experiment with some of the other users posted settings. I'm using CNETs posted calibration settings for the e601i-a3. What settings are you using?
2. What source are you watching? OTA (antenna) television, cable? Certain channels or all channels? Are you seeing the same problem on dark DVDs and BluRays? The problem could just be poor/over-compressed source material if it's happening on one source and not others.
post #3182 of 3777
I've used the disney WOW disc for calibration. It's usually only on directv HD movies that I've DVR'ed. If it's on blurays it's only on very few scenes, but it seems like every movie I watch on directv HD has some kind of crushing
post #3183 of 3777
Hi all,

I recently received an E601-A3 from Amazon. I finally got around to setting it up tonight. Initially, I was very pleased with the image quality. But I soon noticed a white blotch at the top of the screen. I investigated, and to me, it looks like the TV bezel is not straight (almost as if the top portion of the bezel is concave). I've attached a few pictures of what I'm talking about. Is it safe to say this is an issue?



post #3184 of 3777
I just purchased the E601i-A3 yesterday for the Walmart Black Friday price. I have seen reviews from amazing to awful. So far I am a fan, but I am curious to know other Vizio owners' thoughts on taking out a 4 year warranty from square trade. It seems there are many who have problems, but they seem to occur for the most part during the first year while still under the Vizio warranty.

Do you think purchasing a warranty is the "right thing" to do?

Thank you
post #3185 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

I've used the disney WOW disc for calibration. It's usually only on directv HD movies that I've DVR'ed. If it's on blurays it's only on very few scenes, but it seems like every movie I watch on directv HD has some kind of crushing

DirecTv is probably over compressing the signal to get in so many HD channels, but that's just a guess.
Try this - On your picture settings, go the advanced picture submenu and turn everything off if it isn't already. When I was making the adjustments following the CNET settings everything's seemed really dark until I got to the last two: Backlight Control and Ambient Light Sensor. Shutting those off brought a lot of life back to the picture.
post #3186 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I just purchased the E601i-A3 yesterday for the Walmart Black Friday price. I have seen reviews from amazing to awful. So far I am a fan, but I am curious to know other Vizio owners' thoughts on taking out a 4 year warranty from square trade. It seems there are many who have problems, but they seem to occur for the most part during the first year while still under the Vizio warranty.

Do you think purchasing a warranty is the "right thing" to do?

Thank you

 

I'd do it. Just wait for a 30% off warranty sale, which they seem to do a couple times a month. If you look at the fine ST warranty print, their warranty usually starts at day one, so most likely you'll only be buying a 3yr warranty in real coverage terms.

I've bought a ST warranty on all our electronics, and a few mechanical items, (vacuum cleaners etc), but only when they have them on sale.

My luck so far is probably break even on costs. They have refunded me for 2 vacuum cleaners, (Rumbas), that died early on us. No issues getting it done whatsoever.....

post #3187 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder0905 View Post

Hi all,

I recently received an E601-A3 from Amazon. I finally got around to setting it up tonight. Initially, I was very pleased with the image quality. But I soon noticed a white blotch at the top of the screen. I investigated, and to me, it looks like the TV bezel is not straight (almost as if the top portion of the bezel is concave). I've attached a few pictures of what I'm talking about. Is it safe to say this is an issue?



You lucked out, people are paying $8k+ for curved screens these days. In all seriousness that is definitely a problem, mine does not look like that at all. Do an exchange on that bad boy
post #3188 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I just purchased the E601i-A3 yesterday for the Walmart Black Friday price. I have seen reviews from amazing to awful. So far I am a fan, but I am curious to know other Vizio owners' thoughts on taking out a 4 year warranty from square trade. It seems there are many who have problems, but they seem to occur for the most part during the first year while still under the Vizio warranty.

Do you think purchasing a warranty is the "right thing" to do?

Thank you

Walmart has their own warranty service plan and its cheaper then Square trade. If you brought your TV from Walmart and its a black Friday price of $688..the cost of a three year plan is $69 and a four year plan is $89. This plan is just like Square trade..takes effect day of purchase even though the TV has a one year factory warranty.

You have to buy the Walmart plan within 30 days of purchase...I read reviews on this Walmart warranty service plan and people say its great.
post #3189 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIT RATE MASTER View Post

You lucked out, people are paying $8k+ for curved screens these days. In all seriousness that is definitely a problem, mine does not look like that at all. Do an exchange on that bad boy

Haha, thanks for the confirmation. I have a replacement from Amazon arriving sometime in the next 7 days.
post #3190 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post


I went through the entire thread looking for other examples of what I'm seeing with my set. This is EXACTLY what my set looks like. It's not clouding like I described earlier, but this "halo" in the same orientation as pictured. It makes me think it has to do with the panel/tv construction, like a pressure point on the screen or something. Does anyone else have this? Is it fixable? Are they all like this?

I got my set this past Wednesday, 12/3/2013. I can see pretty much the same halo pattern you have but what's even more frustrating is it shows up in dark scenes where it's noticable and distracting. I've watched several blu rays and especially on the left side of the screen I'll be able to make out the light halo pattern in dark shadows. It's faint but noticeably visible to everyone watching. You can actually see patches of light bleeding through right in the middle of the dark scene. It sucks. If it weren't for the great picture during brighter scenes and the great price I'd be tempted to return the TV. A little afraid if I exchange it I'll end up with one with an even worse problem.

I do want to reiterate though for anyone considering this set, with most content the picture really is excellent and for things like watching football I couldn't ask for more.
Edited by BATom - 12/8/13 at 5:03pm
post #3191 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Walmart has their own warranty service plan and its cheaper then Square trade. If you brought your TV from Walmart and its a black Friday price of $688..the cost of a three year plan is $69 and a four year plan is $89. This plan is just like Square trade..takes effect day of purchase even though the TV has a one year factory warranty.

You have to buy the Walmart plan within 30 days of purchase...I read reviews on this Walmart warranty service plan and people say its great.

That's interesting, the reviews I read weren't very good. I returned the Walmart plan and going to pick up a square trade.
post #3192 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post

I'd do it. Just wait for a 30% off warranty sale, which they seem to do a couple times a month. If you look at the fine ST warranty print, their warranty usually starts at day one, so most likely you'll only be buying a 3yr warranty in real coverage terms.
I've bought a ST warranty on all our electronics, and a few mechanical items, (vacuum cleaners etc), but only when they have them on sale.
My luck so far is probably break even on costs. They have refunded me for 2 vacuum cleaners, (Rumbas), that died early on us. No issues getting it done whatsoever.....

I spoke with Vizio earlier and what I found interesting is when I asked them about their extended warranty, it turns out that it is actually a Square Trade warranty.

I was told I have a year from the date of purchase to buy the extended warranty through Vizio. Does anyone know if the customer service rep was correct?
post #3193 of 3777

Hey everyone,

 

I just set-up my TV and passed on my older 52" Samsung to my parents.  I instantly noticed what I believe to be is a "banding" issue.

Am I correct in my assumption?  I bought my TV through Dell, should I go through Vizio or Dell for this issue?  I'm not quite sure the best way to go about getting this fixed.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

post #3194 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIT RATE MASTER View Post

You lucked out, people are paying $8k+ for curved screens these days. In all seriousness that is definitely a problem, mine does not look like that at all. Do an exchange on that bad boy
Yep, glad to hear your exchanging it. My first one had this, noticed it when I walked thru the kitchen and said that doesn't look right. The problem with the picture was everything had a blue outline around it
post #3195 of 3777

I hadn't noticed the flashing white pixels myself, and at this moment in checking at ESPN and ESPN2ttHh8k

post #3196 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post

I'd do it. Just wait for a 30% off warranty sale, which they seem to do a couple times a month. If you look at the fine ST warranty print, their warranty usually starts at day one, so most likely you'll only be buying a 3yr warranty in real coverage terms.

I bought my Vizio at Costco on Black Friday - $849. I also purchased the Square Trade warranty at $59 for 3 years. Now, the ST brochure they have in Costco spells out the warranty specifically as follows: Years 1 and 2 - Costco or Manufacturers Coverage. Years 3, 4, and 5 - Square Trade Coverage. Costco now has the set at $889 I believe through 15 December.
post #3197 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySlime View Post


I bought my Vizio at Costco on Black Friday - $849. I also purchased the Square Trade warranty at $59 for 3 years. Now, the ST brochure they have in Costco spells out the warranty specifically as follows: Years 1 and 2 - Costco or Manufacturers Coverage. Years 3, 4, and 5 - Square Trade Coverage. Costco now has the set at $889 I believe through 15 December.

 

Sounds like a deal to me!

post #3198 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

That's interesting, the reviews I read weren't very good. I returned the Walmart plan and going to pick up a square trade.

I don't have warranty plans from Walmart but when I read the review section for TV's it was this way last week.
Customer recommendation at 92%... 72 of 78 customers recommended.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Year-Service-Plan-for-Televisions-500-699.99/21557005?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems#Product+Reviews
post #3199 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I spoke with Vizio earlier and what I found interesting is when I asked them about their extended warranty, it turns out that it is actually a Square Trade warranty.

I was told I have a year from the date of purchase to buy the extended warranty through Vizio. Does anyone know if the customer service rep was correct?

I don't know if Vizio rep is correct or not..if correct then do it within a year, their 3 year plan with Square trade is $89
Its possible Vizio has some type of agreement with Square trade..something like the Costco agreement.

The only place I know buying a TV and Square trade warranty follows is at Costco.. 1st year factory 2nd year Costco concierge plan... 3rd-5th years square trade plan.

Amazon has the Square trade plan on discount now at $42.34 for three years (TV cost 600-700)..but starts at purchase date.

The Square trade site states..for new TV have to buy plan within 30 days.

You can buy Square trade plan at Costco too..even if you brought TV from another store..as for their rules on this not sure when it starts day of purchase or 1 year later since I don't think you get the first two years unless you brought the TV from Costco. At Costco you have 60 days to buy this plan.. have to check this 60 days out not sure they mean a Costco TV or any store TV .

Now I read this (article below) on the Square Trade web site..for those who got their TV's on sale or discounted price...to me it seems your better off getting a plan for full retail cost.like around $998 even though you paid less. They only want the price what you paid for it..the price on your receipt and not with the taxes included either..just $688 if a Black Friday deal.

"Your SquareTrade Protection Plan is limited in value to the purchase price of your item. We generally ask that you use the actual price paid for your item when purchasing a warranty.

If you bought your item for a retail website or store and got a substantial discount, the actual purchase price might be far lower than the fair replacement value of the item. In such a case, in order to make sure you have enough value in the warranty to replace your item after a claim, you are welcome to use the full regular retail price to purchase the warranty, as opposed to the price you paid. That may make the warranty more expensive than if you used the sale price, but you'll get more value in your coverage.

If you choose to use the full retail value to buy the warranty, please provide proof of the full retail value of your item when you submit your proof of purchase. If the full purchase price is shown on your receipt, that is sufficient. If not you can provide a local ad showing the original price, print out from the manufacturer's website, a national retail website showing the MSRP or regular price, or something similar showing the full value of the item.

This process does not apply for items from eBay, open-box, floor model, or store display items. For this items, we can only use the actual auction value or purchase price for your warranty."


Here's an example what that article means (this is a copy/paste not me involved):

I asked a question about the Best Buy $98 dvd/tv combo.....this is squaretrades reply:
Since you purchased your TV on sale, the replacement value is probably the retail price of $279. If you purchase the plan to cover the sale price of $98, you will only be covered for repairs up to the value of $98. If you purchase for the full retail price, you'd be covered up to the full $279 in repairs.

For a $98 price, the 4 year plan would be $39.99 plan. For the $279, the 4 year plan is $54.99.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/9/13 at 12:38pm
post #3200 of 3777
I called Vizio again today and I have until October (9 months from the date of purchase) to buy a 3 or 4 year warranty from them.

It was explained to me that once you get to month 10, the only option is for a one year warranty extension.
post #3201 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I called Vizio again today and I have until October (9 months from the date of purchase) to buy a 3 or 4 year warranty from them.

It was explained to me that once you get to month 10, the only option is for a one year warranty extension.

Well that's good for others here to know if they are buying a Vizio product.

Just asking you did read about the article I posted from Square trade?

You paid $688 for the TV..they will only cover up to $688 for repairs/or give you that amount only back/they can't replace the TV because it cost more....but if you buy a plan at full retail cost they will cover up to that ..I believe full retail cost is around $998.
post #3202 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I called Vizio again today and I have until October (9 months from the date of purchase) to buy a 3 or 4 year warranty from them.

It was explained to me that once you get to month 10, the only option is for a one year warranty extension.

I wonder what Vizio will tell me about my TV for a extended warranty..I get a two year factory warranty from them because my TV which works great to this day is part of the volunteer recall of 2012.

I'm just curious about this..I don't need an extended warranty..Got the two year factory warranty and asked AMEX customer service about this (my credit card company)..they told me when ever the factory warranty expires either 1 year or 5.. they will extend it after factory warranty expires for one full year at no cost.
So I got three years of warranty at no cost. In 4th year sell the old TV and get a new one.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/9/13 at 3:15pm
post #3203 of 3777
I love these AVS forums, I read a lot about everything besides this Vizio TV and my eyes hurt so much reading them all..thousands of comments with good info.

What I like to know here..as I read a few new ones here..seems the newer E601i-A3 TV's have an updated firmware version at 2.0.25...I still have 2.0.21.

But I read somewhere on AVS not this forum and forgot where its at..the poster said he has a E601i-A3 Vizio TV and his firmware version was 2.0.33...anyone have any updates on this?

And as I also posted earlier..it seems the serial numbers for the E601i-A3 are going like every four months with a change in letters for dates made in 2013. WAP, then WBP, then WCP.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/9/13 at 2:24pm
post #3204 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I called Vizio again today and I have until October (9 months from the date of purchase) to buy a 3 or 4 year warranty from them.

It was explained to me that once you get to month 10, the only option is for a one year warranty extension.

What was their cost for a warranty?
post #3205 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

What was their cost for a warranty?

crucial..not sure what gsr852 was told for price..but that Vizio web site for Square trade warranty is $89 (been on it a few hours ago)..funny thing is..no matter what price you put in..its $89 ( I put in $2400 for the TV cost and said $89 still) either that web site not working correct... or any TV is $89 for 3 year warranty...from that lowest price for this TV $688.

http://www.squaretrade.com/vizio-landing1
Edited by Internet2 - 12/9/13 at 3:54pm
post #3206 of 3777
I did read your earlier post Internet2 and I thank you. I originally purchased the E601i-A3E on Black Friday for $688. When I realized it did not have the qwerty keyboard, I contacted the Walmart where I purchased the set and after speaking with management, they let me swap that set out for the E601i-A3. When I swapped tv's, the new receipt I was given shows a price of $998.00 (makes sense as the E601i-A3 was not what they were selling on Black Friday for $688). So, I am covered should they ever need to reimburse me the cost of a replacement.

Crucial, the cost of the 3 year warranty is $89. I don't recall the cost of the 4 year, but I can find it & post it should you be interested.
post #3207 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I did read your earlier post Internet2 and I thank you. I originally purchased the E601i-A3E on Black Friday for $688. When I realized it did not have the qwerty keyboard, I contacted the Walmart where I purchased the set and after speaking with management, they let me swap that set out for the E601i-A3. When I swapped tv's, the new receipt I was given shows a price of $998.00 (makes sense as the E601i-A3 was not what they were selling on Black Friday for $688). So, I am covered should they ever need to reimburse me the cost of a replacement.

Crucial, the cost of the 3 year warranty is $89. I don't recall the cost of the 4 year, but I can find it & post it should you be interested.

Well good to hear all came out OK for you..do enjoy the TV..I had my E601i-A3 over a year now with no problems..as all know not all TV's are perfect..I'm lucky no problems yet.

I fall a sleep with my TV on since I had it..its about running 12 hours a day ON (unless I'm not home)...after a year now must of been over 3000 hours of use I guess.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/9/13 at 9:23pm
post #3208 of 3777
I been on this thread almost a year now. I have nothing against people who say this TV has problems whatever ( some do). All TV's can have problems even a $2000-$10,000 one's.
But this TV is the first LCD at 60 inches to be sold under $1000 in 2012 and maybe 2013. Yes some might have problems......just call up and get help..but at this price in 2012/2013 can't beat it..next few years (2014 or 2015) of course it be 50% less...better TV's be out!...that's life
post #3209 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I did read your earlier post Internet2 and I thank you. I originally purchased the E601i-A3E on Black Friday for $688. When I realized it did not have the qwerty keyboard, I contacted the Walmart where I purchased the set and after speaking with management, they let me swap that set out for the E601i-A3. When I swapped tv's, the new receipt I was given shows a price of $998.00 (makes sense as the E601i-A3 was not what they were selling on Black Friday for $688). So, I am covered should they ever need to reimburse me the cost of a replacement.

Crucial, the cost of the 3 year warranty is $89. I don't recall the cost of the 4 year, but I can find it & post it should you be interested.

Other than the remote did you find any difference int he set? What did you say to convince them to swap?
post #3210 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

Other than the remote did you find any difference int he set? What did you say to convince them to swap?

Truth be told, while I saw no difference & was told by Vizio there is no difference other than the qwerty remote, I spent only about 15 minutes using the set after setup... I had my sights set on the E601i-A3.

It did not take too much to convince them to swap sets. I simply stated that the set that was sold last Black Friday, the set I saw in the store for the last year leading up to Black Friday and the set displayed on Walmart.com was and is the E601i-A3. I also stated the ad was a bit misleading. When something goes on sale, one would think it is an in-stock item. Who would expect that Walmart made a deal with Vizio to produce the A3E only for the holiday sale? I then made the manager aware that I bought 2 sets on Black Friday but that I was only interested in swapping 1 of the sets. At that point I was given the green light to swap sets. The only condition was that I had to wait a week, since they did not have the A3 in-stock and I could only trade sets at the Walmart where I made the original purchase.
Edited by gsr852 - 12/10/13 at 6:20am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread