or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 108

post #3211 of 3777

So just a follow-up to my situation with the banding, for future people who may come across this thread and my post.

 

I first chatted with Vizio and they opened up a case for me.  I sent them pictures of the TV and later my order confirmation from Dell.  They are going to be shipping be a brand new one from Cali, could take 8-13 business days.

 

Overall experience with their customer support has been great.  I did no have to wait long either for their chat or phone support, everyone was knowledgeable.  And the instant the one rep opened up my pictures she let me know that I will be receiving a new replacement.  They didn't give me any hassle, so the process has been pretty smooth.

 

I would recommend Vizio just on their support experience alone, never mind the fact that they sell good TV's at a great price.  I had horrible problems with Samsung TV support before.  This is my first experience with Vizio and yes I'm bummed about the initial TV quality, but I'm hopeful they're good customer service and replacement will fix everything.

post #3212 of 3777
Interesting. I noticed 4 of the A3E's on the floor this past Saturday. They were marked at the $998 price.

Square trade just sent out an email for 30% off. The 3 year warranty up to $699 is $55.99 and the 3 year on tv's up to $999 is $79.99
Edited by crucial - 12/10/13 at 8:01am
post #3213 of 3777
Again, the Costco website is showing the set Out of Stock, but your local Costco may have it in stock, selling for $889.99 until 14 Dec and the 3 year Square Trade warranty beginning in year 3 at $59.99. PS - I do not work at Costco or own any Costco stock (although I wish I had bought some shares several years ago).
post #3214 of 3777
I had purchased my E601-A3 at last year's Walmart Black Friday event and the set worked great until a couple of months ago. I started have issues with the TV picture sporadically cutting out for a second then coming back on. I had contacted Vizio support immediately and was told to send photos of my set (??) along with a sales receipt and that they would get in contact with me. After not hearing from them for a week I contacted them again and they said they never received the emailed photos, so I went through the process again. I eventually had a follow up conversation with one of their technicians who informed me that my set's serial number fell within range of the early problematic units and offered either a repair or new set. I went for the new set.

The new set took about a week for delivery through Mana and they subcontracted to a local delivery service which arrived as promised, installed the set and took away the old one. Later in the evening I noticed that the set looked "odd" especially the reflections on the screen when the set was off. Sure enough, I looked at the screen from the edge and the set was taco'ed! The screen was bent vertically with a a bend offset of at least 1/2". I contacted Vizio again and they had me send more photos showing the bend. When Vizio called back they told me that the set was likely damaged in transit and that they had to file a claim with Mana. They then told me to hang tight and they'd get in contact with me. After a week with no answer I called back and they said that they were still processing the replacement set and that they would send a request to the warehouse to ship out another set. That request took another few days and then finally they scheduled another delivery, which eventually worked out okay. All in all the whole process took me about 5 weeks, but I finally received a replacement in good working order.

I think Vizio's customer service is pretty decent and everyone I talked to were very pleasant and apologetic about the ordeal, but I still felt I had to keep on their case to move thing along. Do I like the set? You bet. I've owned another Vizio set for several years with no problems and it still has a great picture. Hopefully, this one will do the trick. Their customer service has some of the nicest reps I think I've ever dealt with, but in my case, I felt like I had to be proactive to get answers or responses. All in all, I would still buy another Vizio and would recommend their products to other people
post #3215 of 3777
Just curious... Since the original calibration settings that were posted not long after this thread was started (from CNET & Best Buy tech), are there any new sources that have released info with the "best" settings for the A3?
post #3216 of 3777
Hello everyone!!

Member from Canada here!

I have recently bought this TV online (BestBuy black friday sale) and will be driving down to visit family and pick it up.
Just wondering what the main things to look out for when QCing this TV.
I really don't want to drive back with a bad TV and be outside my return period.
Warranty might be a bit more difficult in the first year through Vizio, but should be easier through squaretrade after.

So far:
Display a solid screen with the following colours: Black, White, Red, Green, Blue.
Look for any dead/stuck pixels, look for clouding/bleeding on the black screen.
Test wireless, test netflix.

I've already checked out other member's settings, and I'm looking forward to tinkering around with it and hopefully coming up with some good ones.
Then the next step will be to find a decent hassle-free soundbar, and getting everything to work well with my computer and xbox!

Thanks!
post #3217 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

Just curious... Since the original calibration settings that were posted not long after this thread was started (from CNET & Best Buy tech), are there any new sources that have released info with the "best" settings for the A3?

Someone posted a spreadsheet with settings from different users.
search the thread to find it.
post #3218 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

Just curious... Since the original calibration settings that were posted not long after this thread was started (from CNET & Best Buy tech), are there any new sources that have released info with the "best" settings for the A3?

Try this link from Sound and Vision magazine. Not any newer but never hurts to compare settings.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/vizio-e60li-a3-lcd-hdtv-settings
post #3219 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

Just curious... Since the original calibration settings that were posted not long after this thread was started (from CNET & Best Buy tech), are there any new sources that have released info with the "best" settings for the A3?

Best settings are those you get using a setup disc on your own set.  Any other means is just guessing and if that is the case why not set them to what you like vs what someone else likes?

post #3220 of 3777
+1
post #3221 of 3777
True dat
post #3222 of 3777
I was too late to get the tv at Walmart's Black Friday by about 3 people, but with their guarantee I went ahead and bought it and had it shipped to the store and just picked it up yesterday. Huge improvement over my old Philips 42".

I have one issue, though. Is this flashlighting or something else? I'm assuming that I need to take it back and exchange it.


There are these slightly brighter blob shapes around the center of the screen. Easier to see on lighter images.
post #3223 of 3777
Flashlighting is seen on dark screens and comes in from the corners. This looks like an issue with the panel itself to me. If it were my set I would try to gently rub the screen with a microfiber cloth to see if it changes those blobs at all. Unless they went away completely I would probably return it. Can you notice it on anything other than a pure white background?
post #3224 of 3777
Ahhh, gotcha, I think I understand what flashlighting is now.

I've tried rubbing the panel a bit, but it doesn't get rid of the blobs. It's not as noticeable on darker backgrounds or when there's movement on the screen, but it's still there.

I called Walmart and they told me that they can't exchange it for the same model because that model was only for Black Friday so they basically want me to return and then pay more for another tv. I emailed Vizio tech support to see what they say.
post #3225 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post

I was too late to get the tv at Walmart's Black Friday by about 3 people, but with their guarantee I went ahead and bought it and had it shipped to the store and just picked it up yesterday. Huge improvement over my old Philips 42".

I have one issue, though. Is this flashlighting or something else? I'm assuming that I need to take it back and exchange it.


There are these slightly brighter blob shapes around the center of the screen. Easier to see on lighter images.

Just last week another poster here (post # 3139) was talking about this same problem and posted pictures they found here from eight months ago..seems same as those pictures they said.

What I recall from eight months ago I asked the poster what is that on the screen showing..not a TV broadcast..he said its his chrome (computer view-looks like a large folder) seems your picture is also a display by computer..correct??? I don't see many having problems like that with a TV broadcast of APP use..not saying they don't but never saw a post on it here a lot about those halo effects/blobs..

I don't have chrome/browser ..I use windows/explorer ...but I did a test and sent a folder to my TV from computer and expanded it the width of screen..yes I got the halo effect... I made the screen smaller it went away. This was my test eight months ago for another poster who had same problem as you now.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/11/13 at 5:23pm
post #3226 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Just last week another poster here (post # 3139) was talking about this same problem and posted pictures they found here from eight months ago..seems same as those pictures they said.

What I recall from eight months ago I asked the poster what is that on the screen showing..not a TV broadcast..he said its his chrome (computer view-looks like a large folder) seems your picture is also a display by computer..correct??? I don't see many having problems like that with a TV broadcast of APP use..not saying they don't but never saw a post on it here a lot about those halo effects/blobs..

I don't have chrome/browser ..I use windows/explorer ...but I did a test and sent a folder to my TV from computer and expanded it the width of screen..yes I got the halo effect... I made the screen smaller it went away. This was my test eight months ago for another poster who had same problem as you now.

I saw that post as well as I attempted to read through this whole thread. After awhile, all of the posts kind of blurred together. It does seem similar, though mine looks more like blobs while his had an almost circular look to it.

You are correct, I have this tv hooked up to a HTPC. It's running Windows 7 and in my picture it was the Firefox browser. I'm not sure what you mean about sending a folder to the tv from the computer? I can, however, try the Netflix app on the tv and see if I notice the same thing there and I can also probably see about hooking up an OTA antenna and/or maybe hooking the cable directly to the tv and see if there are any differences.
post #3227 of 3777
That is true since you brought it up. All these "banding" issues and "blobs" seem only to be when using it as a computer monitor.
post #3228 of 3777
I just tested the Netflix app on the tv and it was still there, though it may have been a little less noticeable.

Tomorrow I can try hooking up the antenna.
post #3229 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post


Here's what I'm currently running on 1.9.13 (AWESOME PICTURE)
Picture Mode: Football
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 80
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 6
Color Temp: Cool
Red Gain: 118
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Blue Offset: 128
Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Grn/Flesh
Adaptive Luma: Medium
Film: Auto
Backlight Control: OFF
Ambient Light Sensor: OFF

 

Just got one of these from bestbuy online on Thanksgiving

I'm using your settings and they look great. Thank You.



 


Edited by adimarc1 - 1/8/14 at 12:17am
post #3230 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimarc1 View Post

Just got one of these from bestbuy online on Thanksgiving


I'm using your settings and they look great. Thank You.




- I got a WBP32 serial number  meaning August but the controller battery cover label has a date of November 6, 2013

Anyone get a WCP serial number from BestBuy? 

 

You may want to check out CNET's review which posts their settings (there's a link in the article showing the settings used for their review). I think they're more "neutral" than the settings you reference. Of course, a calibration disk is really the best way to calibrate for your room conditions since each set is a little different.
post #3231 of 3777
Does anyone know what's the difference between the e601 and the e600 walmart sells?
post #3232 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post

I just tested the Netflix app on the tv and it was still there, though it may have been a little less noticeable.

Tomorrow I can try hooking up the antenna.

Hooked up to the OTA antenna and it was still there.
post #3233 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

Does anyone know what's the difference between the e601 and the e600 walmart sells?

Its the same TV at a lower price because its a "REFURBISHED MODEL"...in other words the TV was sent back to the factory for some reason and was fixed..then sent back out to be resold.
Read reviews on people who have them..all seems ok to them with a refurbished TV.

I'm not sure on this..but I think it comes with a 90 day warranty only the refurbished model.
Edited by Internet2 - 12/14/13 at 8:00am
post #3234 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post

Hooked up to the OTA antenna and it was still there.

I saw you said Walmart can't exchange it because its a BF unit, but it does come with a one year warranty still. Have Vizio replace TV if it seems to be a problem..most times they just ask for a few pictures emailed to them and they can tell if bad. Good luck
post #3235 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

I saw you said Walmart can't exchange it because its a BF unit, but it does come with a one year warranty still. Have Vizio replace TV if it seems to be a problem..most times they just ask for a few pictures emailed to them and they can tell if bad. Good luck

Yup. I'm waiting to hear back from Vizio now so I probably won't hear anything until at least Monday. I'm hoping that the pictures show the problem well enough. It's definitely more noticeable in person than it is in the pictures.
post #3236 of 3777
Wow. They got back to me on a Saturday. I'm surprised.

They are sending out a new tv.
post #3237 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post


Its the same TV at a lower price because its a "REFURBISHED MODEL"...in other words the TV was sent back to the factory for some reason and was fixed..then sent back out to be resold.
Read reviews on people who have them..all seems ok to them with a refurbished TV.

I'm not sure on this..but I think it comes with a 90 day warranty only the refurbished model

 

 

We just got a REFURBISHED 601 a couple weeks ago from WM. So far all is great with it. Has the latest software. No visible blemishes.

It does have a 90day Vizio warranty, but purchased the extended from WM. Longer term and slightly cheaper than SquareTrade for the Refurb models

post #3238 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post

Ahhh, gotcha, I think I understand what flashlighting is now.

I've tried rubbing the panel a bit, but it doesn't get rid of the blobs. It's not as noticeable on darker backgrounds or when there's movement on the screen, but it's still there.

I called Walmart and they told me that they can't exchange it for the same model because that model was only for Black Friday so they basically want me to return and then pay more for another tv. I emailed Vizio tech support to see what they say.

Well if Wallyworld wants to play that game, play it. Go buy another for regular price then return your original using the regular price receipt. I returned a tv to Sams club that I had bought on sale & got the same as a replacement and they gave me the original sale price on the new set so why won't wallyworld do the same.
post #3239 of 3777
I recently bought the Vizio E601i-A3. Everything looks fine but during some random bright scenes, you can see the colors "flicker a bit" I remember a while ago I read that some televisions would compensate for not being able to display a certain color by flashing two colors close to it to blend it to the third color. I forgot what that problem is called and I need it in order to research more about it online. Can someone help?
post #3240 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post

Wow. They got back to me on a Saturday. I'm surprised.

They are sending out a new tv.

That's great news to hear. Hope all goes ok and enjoy the new TV.

As you might know if you replace a TV with Vizio... the warranty is still in force from day of purchase on the first TV. But since you just got it about two weeks ago on 2013 Black Friday..you didn't lose much off the one year warranty... you have about 11 months 2 weeks left in warranty still for second new replacement TV...this is from my understandings of others who did replacement too.

Have happy holidays!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread